Out of the Blue

I used some of that zinc stuff last week at the first sign of a cold, as recommended. Once again, this stuff worked like advertised, as I did not suffer a single sniffle or other congestion-related symptom all week. I have, however, been suffering from a nagging sore throat ever since. I imagine this may have to do with the zinc suppressing the mucous shed that causes all the coughing and sneezing, which I believe also helps get the cold out of your system. Anyway, this is all just my effort at connecting cause-and-effect, but if this soreness persists another day or so, I may just head out to the doctor to make sure it's not something more serious.

Great Sopranos last night, and the premiere of Deadwood was even better than I had hoped, and I already had very high expectations for that one.

Play Time: WorldBuilder.
Science!: Patents For Speed in Swimsuits, Add Bumps (registration required).
Carbon Dioxide in Air Rises at Faster Rate, Scientists Say (registration required).
Auction of the Day: BUY MY DEBT!. Thanks Adeem Zafar.
'Mood Adjustment' Pak for Cubicle Warriors. Thanks Matt K.
Images of the Day: Hjalli.com.
Follow-up: Off-Off-Off-Roading on Mars in a $414 Million S.U.V. (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Netflix
Mar 23, 2004, 09:09
WarPig

Re: Netflix Mar 23, 2004, 09:09
Mar 23, 2004, 09:09
 WarPig

Never went for it myself, I tend to be the "I want it now!" type

That's where we're different, I'm often too lazy to drag myself to the video store for weeks or months at a time so I end up not seeing a lot of good movies. Hell, I already have 60 movies lined up in my Netflix account after looking around it for maybe an hour. And since I always hit the video right after work, I'm often drained and tend to not pick the more challenging films, instead going for the comedies or action flicks. It's like going grocery shopping right after a huge meal and finding out later that you didn't really pick up anything appetizing at all.

-------------------------------------------------------
Erections lasting longer than four hours, though rare, require immediate medical attention.

Re: Problem
Mar 23, 2004, 08:30
Re: Problem Mar 23, 2004, 08:30
Mar 23, 2004, 08:30

Possible solutions:

1. Get the latest version of macromedia flash player if you don't have it.
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

2. Do a windows update.

3. Windows has a history of not liking mobo upgrades. A lot of problems can arise if you didn't reinstall windows after upgrading your mobo.

1. Second thing I did
2. First thing I did.
3. Fresh install since I replaced the hard drive
-Sphinx

Netflix & Farcry Ads
Mar 23, 2004, 05:39
Netflix & Farcry Ads Mar 23, 2004, 05:39
Mar 23, 2004, 05:39

I went to check out netflix warpig, but then realized I don't have a DVD player. Geeze, 'Netflix' you'd think you could stream teh movies.

From what I've seen of far cry thus far -- a movie a month ago or so and the ads here -- I'm a little leery of the game. With the number of hours I spend playing whatever game(s) I finally decide upon, Im afraid the bright reds and blues of far cry would leave me epileptic.

The damn parrots don't help either.

Mar 23, 2004, 05:20
Re: Netflix Mar 23, 2004, 05:20
Mar 23, 2004, 05:20

Holy crap thats a big banner up on top. It's ok this time, as its for Farcry goty

Mar 23, 2004, 05:06
Re: Netflix Mar 23, 2004, 05:06
Mar 23, 2004, 05:06

I've had a NetFlix account for 3 years, and I loved it. Recently had to cancel it because of financial issues but yes, if you use it enough, it's a sweet deal.

The best thing about it, in my opinion, is the selection. They have far FAR more movies than you'll ever find in your local Blockbuster for example, and they carry NC-17 and Unrated titles too, so you don't have to settle for chopped up R rated versions of movies like Audition I love watching foreign films, and the foriegn selection at Blockbuster is utter crap.

So yea, NetFlix is good

Mar 23, 2004, 05:05
Re: Netflix Mar 23, 2004, 05:05
Mar 23, 2004, 05:05

Never went for it myself, I tend to be the "I want it now!" type, but I know many friends/associates that enjoy the service. If you go in realizing this is not a local rental shop, you can not just select what you want here and now, you cannot beat the overall selection and price. A few of them have a near-constant flow of DVDs going in/out of their homes and offices.

Intrigued the site, but more interested in the latest and greatest releases,
Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

strapline
Mar 23, 2004, 04:56
strapline Mar 23, 2004, 04:56
Mar 23, 2004, 04:56

anyone else think

"welcome to paradise gone wrong" is a contender for the Attack of the Clones award for bad marketing?
Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

Mar 23, 2004, 04:55
Re: Netflix Mar 23, 2004, 04:55
Mar 23, 2004, 04:55

Hump, did you even read what that other guy was asking for?
He didnt want Blue to take away the adds, he wanted an EXTRA option. If he payed a monthly fee, then he would get a version of it without adds. So your complaints are sortof groundless.

Chalk it up to returning back to work after several months of inactivity...I'm exhausted and got lazy. My bad

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: Boo-urns
Mar 23, 2004, 04:46
Re: Boo-urns Mar 23, 2004, 04:46
Mar 23, 2004, 04:46

It's just me.

I find advertisements incredibly ridiculous while simultaneously comprehending the financiel need of our capitalistic system. Unlike a great many of people, though, I would be more than willing to pay for what I use.

Along similar, vague-ish lines, that is why I pay for all my games and do not download illegal MP3s.

It's just me.

Clapping my paws together for todays Far Cry shippage,
Ray

I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

Re: Far Cry banner ad...
Mar 23, 2004, 04:41
Re: Far Cry banner ad... Mar 23, 2004, 04:41
Mar 23, 2004, 04:41

I just got home and my reaction was less than pleasant. ;D

It's bad enough that this is no longer Blue's News, being UGO's Blue's News now, but being Blue's advertising News?

/Feh

Once again, I decided whether or not I would purchase a game based off of playing the demo. Knowing instantly that I wanted to purchase it (based off those crazy, wacky ideas of looking nice, having fun, and being relatively fresh), I immediately pre-ordred it online. The only thing I ever looked for was which company would give me the best deal (free overnight shipping, free CD, shirt, manual, blah, blah, and blah).

Meanwhile, the advertising zombies are trying to sell me a game that I have already purchased. As if (now) taking ownership of the site was not enough, they have the same stupid advertisement throughout the whole page and even on this posting page.

I love advertisers. No, really, I do.

Thinking...I must...buy game....because of...pretty pictures... <drool>,
Ray

I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

New Ad
Mar 23, 2004, 02:35
indiv

New Ad Mar 23, 2004, 02:35
Mar 23, 2004, 02:35
 indiv

I dig the new ad. Way better than those ads that take over the page or make sound. All it does is sit benignly at the top of the page. Big deal.

Eternal Sunshine
Mar 23, 2004, 02:09
Eternal Sunshine Mar 23, 2004, 02:09
Mar 23, 2004, 02:09

So, anybody see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? I enjoyed it very much, but I'm a big fan of Charlie Kaufman. I recommend it, especially if you liked Being John Malkovich and Adaptation.

~Steve

Re: No subject
Mar 23, 2004, 01:38
Re: No subject Mar 23, 2004, 01:38
Mar 23, 2004, 01:38

I have to say when I first saw that huge Far Cry ad, I rushed to these forums. I just new Blues got som dough for it.

Congrats! When you run a site that can get this type of advertisement, it is a milestone.

No subject
Mar 23, 2004, 01:17
No subject Mar 23, 2004, 01:17
Mar 23, 2004, 01:17

How dose CO2 rise in air, which is comprised mostly of Nitrogen? Is CO2 magically able to generate lift? Swamp gas?

Add: Lineage II is kinda boring, i've kinda solidified my opinion that untill full VR tech is avaliable to the general public that these MMO games will remain boring. Here's to the future!

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 01:18.
"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

No subject
Mar 23, 2004, 00:29
No subject Mar 23, 2004, 00:29
Mar 23, 2004, 00:29

Tell you the truth, pumping out an ad like that for a new title at the top of the page is slick advertising. And it's not really even that bad, from someone that hates ads with a passion.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

New AD
Mar 22, 2004, 23:21
Enahs

New AD Mar 22, 2004, 23:21
Mar 22, 2004, 23:21
 Enahs

About this new AD, I am curious.

Is this a “rare” big money thing, or will it be reoccurring with anyone, not just big spenders? Or will it just be limited to gaming such?
It does not bother me, I would just prefer they where not allowed to be Flash (even though I have flash click to play)

Also, Are we ever going to get any ads for anything other the FryCry?
I mean, my god, with as much money they are spending on advertising this damn thing, if it does not hit the 2 million mark they are not going to make any freakin’ money!

_____
Enahs If you can read this - congratulations - You have won!!! Just e-mail with your CC# to claim your prize!
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Mar 22, 2004, 22:40
WarPig

Re: Netflix Mar 22, 2004, 22:40
 WarPig

Give it a shot...

Thanks, I just wanted to hear someone say something good about it. The main reason I wanted to do this is because of all the Sopranos talk. I watched season one by renting the DVDs two years ago and hated the thought of renting them all over again just to get back into the story. Now I'll able to watch all four seasons at my own pace.

Erections lasting longer than four hours, though rare, require immediate medical attention.

Re: Netflix Mar 22, 2004, 22:40

Hump, did you even read what that other guy was asking for?
He didnt want Blue to take away the adds, he wanted an EXTRA option. If he payed a monthly fee, then he would get a version of it without adds. So your complaints are sortof groundless.

Mar 22, 2004, 22:03
nin
Re: Netflix Mar 22, 2004, 22:03
Mar 22, 2004, 22:03
nin

I just signed up for a free two week trial for Netflix. It looks like a pretty good deal if you use it enough.

Anybody have any experience with these guys?

I have a friend at work who uses them a lot. For the $20 a month he spends, it cheaper than 2-3 movies for him and the wife, and another 2-3 kiddie movies for the kids. Plus, no hurry, since there's no late fees.

(As we're in Oklahoma, and the closest Nexflix center in in TX) He's got it down to a science where he mails them back on Tuesday, and he's got new discs in his mail on Friday, in time for the weekend.

Give it a shot...

edit:
As much as people claim they'll "support the site" with voluntary contributions, having to worry about something as tenuous as user donations to pay the bills would cause ulcers for Blue I think.

I suspect this has a lot to do with it, also. If he gets a sustainable amount one month, but then hardly any the next, he could be sunk. And none of us what that to happen...

All we can do is click a few ads, root for him, and hope for the best...

http://www.kmfdm.net/
This comment was edited on Mar 22, 22:06.

Netflix
Mar 22, 2004, 21:45
WarPig

Netflix Mar 22, 2004, 21:45
Mar 22, 2004, 21:45
 WarPig

I just signed up for a free two week trial for Netflix. It looks like a pretty good deal if you use it enough.

Anybody have any experience with these guys?

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older