Sam & Max Sequel Axed

LucasArts has posted the announcement of cancellation of Sam & Max Freelance Police, planned as a sequel to Sam & Max Hit the Road, their classic adventure game (thanks Quboid). Word is:
"After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC" says Mike Nelson, Acting General Manager and VP of Finance and Operations. There is currently no plan to reduce staff.
View : : :
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Er...
Mar 3, 2004, 15:37
Er... Mar 3, 2004, 15:37
Mar 3, 2004, 15:37

...is this news?

I never understood why they anybody believed this game was coming; LucasArts already announced and subsequently canceled the previous version of this game as well. Now, no surprise that it happened again...

Burying it next to Full Throttle 2,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fairlightchildren.com/mainpage.html
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

No subject
Mar 3, 2004, 15:33
No subject Mar 3, 2004, 15:33

I'm finally playing King's Quest I, I found a page for some people that remade it, sorta. I can see why people would get so frustrated, but in a way its quite fun just wandering about solving puzzles in some fantastical land. I never did play S&M either, however, I was looking forwards to this sequal/remake. I guess these kind announcements should be water off a ducks back by now. It seems the only games that make it nowadays have corperation backing and controll. Its sad that the art forms of music, movie, and games are corperately ran.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

SM
SM Mar 3, 2004, 15:33

This comes from the heart of one true Lucasfilm/arts fan which owns almost all of their adventure since Loom:

FU Lucasarts.

Just produce one more devastating Monkey Island sequel like it's currently rumored to happen with an even more pathetic version of your Monkey Kombat and some more totally out-of-the-place sushi-bars.

George Lucas has gone insane with his super-duper enhanced version of the original SW Trilogy, ILM is since "The Frighteners" no longer the king of digital special effects and Lucasarts has stopped producing the games with build the position in which the company finds itself today.

Lucasarts is now officially dead.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 15:40.

Re: Anyway...
Mar 3, 2004, 15:27
nin
Re: Anyway... Mar 3, 2004, 15:27
Mar 3, 2004, 15:27
nin

...to play the original Sam & Max on a modern PC? My wife bought the game awhile back (a couple years ago) and can't play it because it expects DOS or Win 3.1 or something and bombs. Anyone know of a work around?

http://www.scummvm.org/

It's either that or:

1. Find the updated 2K/XP version released overseas (that's the one I have).

2. See if you can find a preorder box for Armed and Dangerous, I think it was called. It had the full version of Sam and Max inside, designed to run on 2K/XP (basically the same version as the overseas version). I saw these at Best Buy a few weeks ago, even though the game was already out...

http://www.kmfdm.net/

Re: Full Throttle, Now This...
Mar 3, 2004, 15:22
Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 15:22
Mar 3, 2004, 15:22

You obviously have no clue how development works, and I don't feel like explaining it. Somebody else step up?

Well typically a company will do some market research to confirm that there is actually a market for their product before they start producing it. As an example of what happens when you develop a product that no one wants to buy look at all the failed tech companies here in Santa Clara.

Anyway...yes you can play sam-n-max #1.
Mar 3, 2004, 15:20
pob
Anyway...yes you can play sam-n-max #1. Mar 3, 2004, 15:20
Mar 3, 2004, 15:20
pob

yes. yes yes. yes.

some clever people made an interpreter that works under xp etc

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scummvm/ is one of them. There are others. go to www.sourceforge.net and type in "scumm" in the search box.

full sound, and everything. I got to replay dott (!). I assume it works with sam-n-max...infact, i think i tried that too after digging out the CD.

That's right...
Mar 3, 2004, 15:19
That's right... Mar 3, 2004, 15:19
Mar 3, 2004, 15:19

Don't ressurect one of the greatest franchise opportunities of the nineties. Nooo, cause noone will buy it, right?
You fucking idiots! Just keep pumping out bad Star Wars takes and calling yourself LucasArts!
Hey fuckers, best change your name to LucasRip! Star Whores has seen enough games, time for you freaks to show us, the people that you have enough talent to produce something new, or better yet, anything NON-STAR WARS!

Sorry, I thought I was talking to a creative company.
Nevermind, you guys just sit there behind ILM and cower like the little bitches you are.
Don't worry, Star Wars will pay your check everytime.
Hey, how about Force Commander 2?
How about Force MyWilly: The Home Coming?

If you hadn't noticed, I'm not a fan of Lucas-anything.

The first three StarWars were good...
Then George stopped caring.

Mar 3, 2004, 15:18
Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 15:18
Mar 3, 2004, 15:18

Why fucking bother giving the go ahead for these projects in the first place? Fuckin dumbasses.

Fucking Moron!

Mar 3, 2004, 15:17
Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 15:17
Mar 3, 2004, 15:17

AGUIHAKGHAKGHA:GJAHGJAG:LKAJGA
I'm going to firebomb their financial offices.

Who's the fucking moron? Fucking moron.

Mar 3, 2004, 15:13
Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 15:13
Mar 3, 2004, 15:13

Being a follower of LucasArts since it was a division of LucasFilm in the early 80's (Rescue on Fractalus, Koronis Rift, etc), through the hey-day of adventuring (Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Sam & Max, Loom, The Dig, Grim Fandango, The Monkey Island series, and more - their resume consists ONLY of hits in the genre!)... even though I worked at Sierra in the late 90's, I always felt that the Lucas adventure games were the best. They combined wit, good stories, thought-provoking situations, and puzzles tough enough to enjoy but not frustrating or deadly (like Sierra's).

Then what happened? Lucas announced he was going to make the Star Wars prequels. It seems natural that they would gear LucasArts towards Star Wars games... But EXCLUSIVELY? Yet they did so. Thus followed a million-and-one clones of already-made games with a Star Wars veneer slathered over them.

To me its no wonder the new Adventure titles were cancelled or weren't coming together: The SW Prequels have been in the works for something like 6 years now. Game designers are impatient, creative people. I can't imagine the quality minds that came up with the adventure-game stories & designs sticking around through the SW drudgery (at least not without becoming zombies)... So I'm *SURE* LucasArts has experienced its share of "brain-drain" over the last several years. I don't know where the quality designers have scattered to, but I doubt the creative teams responsible for past success are still there.

And on the subject of "no market for adventure games" - that's just Bullsh!t. Sure, you're not going to have a multi-million-copy seller (oh, wait - what about Myst???)... But you can certainly have successful (in a business-sense) adventure-games.

The reason we don't see adventure games selling well these days, is because no one is making them - but that in and of itself is NOT a valid argument for why they can't be made and sold in a decent fashion. We've just gotten into a "chicken or egg" situation in the industry over this genre. I remember when LucasArts / LucasFilm was a creative powerhouse and would take risks and try new things... They were the sort of company that would push THROUGH the "chicken or egg" situation, make a quality product, and see how it did at-market. Nowadays, with the competition, consolidation, big-budgets, etc... NO ONE wants to take any more risks than they absolutely have to.

Which is sad, because many of our biggest blockbusters in history came from risky concepts. I sincerely hope that small developers fill this void; although having worked in the industry, I don't know how plausible that is - I certainly know how challenging it is!

Take care,

--Noel "HB" Wade

Anyway...
Mar 3, 2004, 15:11
Anyway... Mar 3, 2004, 15:11
Mar 3, 2004, 15:11

...to play the original Sam & Max on a modern PC? My wife bought the game awhile back (a couple years ago) and can't play it because it expects DOS or Win 3.1 or something and bombs. Anyone know of a work around?

Mar 3, 2004, 15:07
PHJF

Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 15:07
Mar 3, 2004, 15:07
 PHJF

Agreed why even create these games to begin with. Who does the freaking research prior to development that say whether or not a game will make it or not. It really shows their incompetence.

You obviously have no clue how development works, and I don't feel like explaining it. Somebody else step up?

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Mar 3, 2004, 15:03
Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 15:03
Mar 3, 2004, 15:03

LA manager: "Hey programmer guy that looks intresting, whatcha workin on?"

Programmer: "Well its this game called Sam and Max where you do crazy imaginative things, very different to the current stuff out there?"

LA: "Imaginative hmm.. and can we port it to a console?"

Prog: "Well not realy.."

LA: "GET BACK TO WORK ON DULL GENERIC CONSOLE STAR WARS CLONE GAME!"

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Mar 3, 2004, 14:55
Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 14:55
Mar 3, 2004, 14:55

Agreed why even create these games to begin with. Who does the freaking research prior to development that say whether or not a game will make it or not. It really shows their incompetence.

Mar 3, 2004, 14:52
PHJF

Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 14:52
Mar 3, 2004, 14:52
 PHJF

Well I'm certainly not happy about this... But hey! At least we still have Magna Cum Laude or whatever in the works! I'd rather see Larry (or his nephew in this case) than ol' Maxy.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

I lost my will to live.
Mar 3, 2004, 14:51
I lost my will to live. Mar 3, 2004, 14:51
Mar 3, 2004, 14:51

Whack a rat, pulling objects out of Max. Welcome to the "If we can't covert it on console we won't make it" age.
This comment was edited on Mar 3, 14:53.

Mar 3, 2004, 14:48
DDI
Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 14:48
Mar 3, 2004, 14:48
DDI

Why fucking bother giving the go ahead for these projects in the first place? Fuckin dumbasses.

Mar 3, 2004, 14:47
DDI
Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 14:47
Mar 3, 2004, 14:47
DDI

AGUIHAKGHAKGHA:GJAHGJAG:LKAJGA
I'm going to firebomb their financial offices.

Mar 3, 2004, 14:44
nin
Re: Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 14:44
Mar 3, 2004, 14:44
nin

Translation: We just realised that this game has nothing to do with Star Wars. So it dies. But we'll have plenty of crapy titles based on Episode III!

Yeah, and no doubt we'll get "Jar-Jar's Big Graphical Adventure" in another 9 months...

Those fuckers...

http://www.kmfdm.net/

Full Throttle, Now This...
Mar 3, 2004, 14:38
Full Throttle, Now This... Mar 3, 2004, 14:38
Mar 3, 2004, 14:38

"After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC"

Translation: We just realised that this game has nothing to do with Star Wars. So it dies. But we'll have plenty of crapy titles based on Episode III!

Parallax Abstraction
Technical Consultant & Future Microplay Owner
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
This comment was edited on Mar 3, 14:39.
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older