Far Cry Demo Level

A level for the Far Cry demo has surfaced, after being extracted from a different version of the demo from the cover-mount disc on PC Gamer magazine. Ubisoft has consented to distribution of this semi-illicit file, which can be found as a single download on 3D Gamers or as two separate files on Boomtown (registration required), FarCryHQ, Filerush, and GamesAgent.net.
View : : :
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Graphic Issues?
Mar 4, 2004, 00:16
Re: Graphic Issues? Mar 4, 2004, 00:16
Mar 4, 2004, 00:16

Anyone else experiencing graphic issues trying to play the actual PCGamer demo on an ATI card? My 9600XT played the original FC demo fine, but this new demo is all distorted/unplayable. I have the latest 4.2 Catalysts. Wondering if there's a problem with the demo files on the disc.

Re: No subject
Mar 3, 2004, 10:57
Fum
Re: No subject Mar 3, 2004, 10:57
Mar 3, 2004, 10:57
Fum

Yep, there definitely are demos that have no right to take up space on anyone's hard drive. But there are so many good demos that I still play from time to time, and though I get board with them after awhile, I'll just let them sit for a month or two and they'll be fun for a day again. Recently I can think of a couple demos where at least one person said they liked it, then a a few post later revealed that they had already uninstalled it, like UT2004, Painkiller, FarCry, COD, Colin McRae 04, Raven Shield, and probably more. These are demos I know I will be getting a good amount of play time out of in the future, not much mind you, but enough to at least leave their tiny little asses on my 200gig drive.

When you have huge a collection of fun little demos like these recent ones, you almost never run out of games to play. For example yesterday I had a fun time loading up both Serious Sam demos, a Deer Hunter demo, IL Stromovic (I'm sure I spelt this wrong) demo, Tron 2 demo and the Black Hawk Down demo. The day before I got some play time out of the Tiger Woods 2004 demo, RalliSport Challenge demo, Nascar Thunder 2004 demo and the Midnight Club 2 demo. Random demo playage is were its at guys, I don't get why more people don't seem to keep a demo archive like me. Oh well, I'll admit it again, this has been a pointless rant on my part, but a fun one.

Re: Far Cry Demo
Mar 3, 2004, 10:11
Re: Far Cry Demo Mar 3, 2004, 10:11
Mar 3, 2004, 10:11

Unfortunately the demo restarts my computer the second it loads up. Which is odd, because it worked fine the first time I played, then suddenly crashed and ever since (including after reinstalling) it just won't play ball. And it's not as if I don't have a capable machine.

Mar 3, 2004, 09:10
Re: No subject Mar 3, 2004, 09:10
Mar 3, 2004, 09:10

What the hell is up with people and deleting/uninstalling demos? Are you guys still on 8 gig hard drives?"

No, but I use my computer to do WORK... namely music composition and recording - and I can easily eat through a gig or two with just one song... if you are always working on multiple projects (like me) you are looking for space wherever you can get it

and on a broader note, its pretty fucking sad that I have to exlain this to you... try EXPANDING YOUR PERSPECTIVE BEYOND YOUR OWN DUMB ASS

--------------------------------------------

LOL. Isn't it insane to keep all your projects on your hd with all the samples. Do you have the Vienna Symphony Library Pro Edition? It's a whole 235.58GB on the HD. Now that's freaking insane!!!!

Mar 3, 2004, 02:21
Re: No subject Mar 3, 2004, 02:21
Mar 3, 2004, 02:21

Fum... go download the Universal Combat demo. Let's see how long that lasts on your hard drive...

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

No subject
Mar 3, 2004, 00:25
Kxmode

No subject Mar 3, 2004, 00:25
Mar 3, 2004, 00:25
 Kxmode

The game has a form of NPC script otherwise it wouldn't be a game.

For example after landing on the main island and trekking inland a little, it seemed that the two soldiers on the dock opposite my location (with the patrol boat) would board the boat and drive over to the small cluster of
islands I came from.

I ran back to one of the large shoreline rocks and hide behind. I took a pot-shot at one of the soldiers to alert the rest to my presence. Like clockwork they came running. I camped behind the same rock and waited for the soldiers to become visible and then killed them. The problem is they
always come from the left side. The AI never thought to try a tactic of flanking me from the right. It's a tactic I would've tried to flush someone into the open so that my back-up could take them down.

Another thing I noticed. Targets didn't seem to act like a functional team. Instead it seemed like a free-for-all of single-minded entities all vying for either survival or who would take me down first.

Other than this the game rocks. The long-view distance is insane. Especially when you reach the Island's summit and stand in one of the guard towers and use your sniper rifle and check out the island. It's simply amazing. The award for thinking up the notion of free-roaming, open-ended environments goes to Tribes, but the level of detail in FarCry is like nothing I've seen. Audio is incredible. The dynamic music augments play experience. When you engage, or the enemy engages you the music revs up and when you're out of harms way the music becomes subtle and the jungle sounds take precedence. The fact that the game takes place on a lush tropical Island is a nice change-of-pace from all the corridor shooters.

I had a chance to play the leaked Doom 3 demo 2, and compared to FarCry, FarCry is by far way beyond anything I've seen. I think Half-Life 2 will blow away all games in the genre, but until that day FarCry is something to
check out.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 2, 2004, 23:02
Fum
Re: No subject Mar 2, 2004, 23:02
Mar 2, 2004, 23:02
Fum

Your right Dagok, my assumption was pretty silly. The point I was trying to make still stands, though, just replace what you quoted of my post with: "I assume most of you guys use your computer's hard drive space mostly for games". That's a quote I feel more comfortable standing by.

And deleting a demo once your done with it, especially if you have a good connection, certainly is understandable. I just don't get why more people (apparently) don't leave demos on their hard drives if they enjoyed it, just for a tiny bit of fun awhile later...

...Oh alright, I'll admit it, this has been a completely pointless rant on my part. Sorry guys.

No subject
Mar 2, 2004, 21:23
No subject Mar 2, 2004, 21:23
Mar 2, 2004, 21:23

Any idea when the 420 and nv40 will be out for "benchmarking" so I can get a skewed perspective on which one is less of a rip off?

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Mar 2, 2004, 19:47
DG
Re: No subject Mar 2, 2004, 19:47
Mar 2, 2004, 19:47
DG

The grey balls and crap are there because the guy who chopped it out of the PC Gamer coverdisk "exclusive" missed something, which he since fixed. Also, if your version does not come with a campaign.lua file, you either need to start the game in DEVMODE, or find the file (which is like 4k). If you got the version like 3dgamers et al then it should be fine as-is.

-

Whining about redownloading the 500mb demo - go buy the mag if its such a problem, was the whole idea of the thing anyway.

Posting on a message board = asking for everyone's opinion.

No subject
Mar 2, 2004, 19:36
No subject Mar 2, 2004, 19:36
Mar 2, 2004, 19:36

"500 megs in 5 minutes... I would like to know your cable provider, because none in existance that I know of can transfer rates at that speed. "
My ISP is Optimum Online. I dled from the gamespot complete FTP or whatever at around 800kb a sec.
Oh ya and I might have stretched it a tad, I believe it was around 10min prolly.

"This my finest sword. If in your journey you should encounter God, God will be cut." -Hattori Hanzo ~Kill Bill
This comment was edited on Mar 2, 19:37.

Mar 2, 2004, 18:50
Re: No subject Mar 2, 2004, 18:50
Mar 2, 2004, 18:50

Fum - But I assume that most of you guys use your computers mainly for gaming

I'd say thats a pretty silly assumption.

Even still, some people play a demo, and remove it. There isnt alot of point of leaving it on the drive once you feel you are done with it. I left the install and the package on my drive for a few weeks. Just so happens I cleared them off a day or two ago unfortunately. Luckilly for me I have the internet speed and dont mind downloading the demo again.

Re: Download Again?!?!
Mar 2, 2004, 18:39
Re: Download Again?!?! Mar 2, 2004, 18:39
Mar 2, 2004, 18:39

GTAZ - Rejects like you mess up an otherwise decent place to let yourself be heard.

Funny I was thinking the same thing about you.

You expect me to redownload a 500 meg demo to try this extra level? How big is the extra level, and is it any good?

First off you did not ask "if it was worth downloading again just for the new map". I have quoted what you said, and Nonickname gave you a worthy reply. Nobody expects you to do shit. In response to you your next 2 questions...both were answered in the first 10 posts before yours. The map is short, it's good but it has a few glitches.

So go back to your cave troll.

Mar 2, 2004, 18:15
Re: No subject Mar 2, 2004, 18:15
Mar 2, 2004, 18:15

Space, the final frontier........
Come to bed Milly Sue, Daddys ready in his big ole trailer

Mar 2, 2004, 18:09
Re: No subject Mar 2, 2004, 18:09
Mar 2, 2004, 18:09

if you are always working on multiple projects (like me) you are looking for space wherever you can get it

If I did space-intensive work as well as gaming on my PC, I'd probably have larger drives so that space didn't become an issue.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Mar 2, 2004, 18:02
Fum
Re: No subject Mar 2, 2004, 18:02
Mar 2, 2004, 18:02
Fum

Damn, that was a little harsh space captain. Yes it is obvious to me that some of you delete demos after one play through simply because you use allot of disk space for other things. But I assume that most of you guys use your computers mainly for gaming, so immediate uninstallation of games demos after only one play through still doesn't make much sense to me. Because as I said, I get most of my gaming done through playing a random demo now and then from my huge demo archives, and I'm surprised that it seems like I'm the only one who does this.

No subject
Mar 2, 2004, 17:19
No subject Mar 2, 2004, 17:19
Mar 2, 2004, 17:19

"What the hell is up with people and deleting/uninstalling demos? Are you guys still on 8 gig hard drives?"

No, but I use my computer to do WORK... namely music composition and recording - and I can easily eat through a gig or two with just one song... if you are always working on multiple projects (like me) you are looking for space wherever you can get it

and on a broader note, its pretty fucking sad that I have to exlain this to you... try EXPANDING YOUR PERSPECTIVE BEYOND YOUR OWN DUMB ASS

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Format C:\
Mar 2, 2004, 17:03
Format C:\ Mar 2, 2004, 17:03
Mar 2, 2004, 17:03

In response to #21, Fum

I run 3 computers hooked up to a Lan for gaming, I try at all times to keep all systems running at their best performance, and that includes periodically cleaning off the HD's to reinstall fresh copies of XP and games like Ravenshield, BF1942 w/ Desert Combat, UT2k3, and NFSUG. All games that are mostly played on my lan. If a demo has no replay value (no MP), and I format the drives, then I don't bother with it.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 17:05.

Re: Really looking forward to this!
Mar 2, 2004, 17:01
Re: Really looking forward to this! Mar 2, 2004, 17:01
Mar 2, 2004, 17:01

Tony!!! wrote:
For the sphere problem go to this link and read.

http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=gaminggeneral&Number=3505416&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1
The 3D Gamers download is also based on this post, bundling the files and info there into one file. And it appears this single file was in turn mirrored to places like GameSpot, IGN and FilePlanet.

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/
This comment was edited on Mar 2, 17:06.
-- Frans

Re: Download Again?!?!
Mar 2, 2004, 16:56
Fum
Re: Download Again?!?! Mar 2, 2004, 16:56
Mar 2, 2004, 16:56
Fum

What the hell is up with people and deleting/uninstalling demos? Are you guys still on 8 gig hard drives? I don't think I've ever deleted a demo installer I've downloaded, and I very rarely uninstall the demo once it's installed. What's the point? Especially a demo like FarCry's, with so much replayability. I remember there was so many people on the first day of the demo's release who complained about bugs, and when somebody replied a few minutes later telling how to fix them they had already uninstalled the demo and deleted the installer (there are so many other examples I can think of of people having a remarkable lack of patients with game demos, but I don't want to sound more obsessed with this then I already do). It clearly isn't a big deal, but it seems like everybody will play a demo for five minutes and uninstall it, regardless of whether they like it or not. I get most of my gaming out of random demos, and replaying them randomly, what everybody else seems to do just makes no sense to me. [/End Rant]

Enough Already!
Mar 2, 2004, 16:51
Enough Already! Mar 2, 2004, 16:51
Mar 2, 2004, 16:51

apparently if GTAZ doesnt give you permission..you cant talk

I never gave any reason for Nonicknameforme to get me pissed off and start name calling, I simply asked if redownloading a huge demo for this add on was worth it, and yet he took it upon himself to start namecalling. And now your getting on my case also? I never said no one can talk, I said if you don't have anything relevant to the topic, then why? Which both of you are doing, now some one delete these posts so we can stay on topic FFS!

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older