Call of Cthulhu Website

The new official Call of Cthulhu Website is now live, getting underway by offering Game Info and Cthulhu Mythos sections for the upcoming Lovecraftian horror game along with screenshots, concept art, and wallpaper.
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Feb 22, 2004, 02:16
........ Feb 22, 2004, 02:16
Feb 22, 2004, 02:16

Thanks for the thoughtful constructive critcism. I guess my fears are confirmed that the industry is driven by brats such as yourself. For your information I and many other people tracking this game do indeed play the pen and paper CoC. However, there is only so much you can do with a old school rpg so it would be nice if we could be delived a more interactive medium through which to enjoy Lovecraft's mythos.

delays yadda yadda yadda
Feb 21, 2004, 22:17
delays yadda yadda yadda Feb 21, 2004, 22:17
Feb 21, 2004, 22:17

Waits and delays. I gotta say that not once have I ever seen 1 game that we waited years for, or was delayed that came in a good solid unbuggy state. Not once. A developer jumps up, delays their game so "they can make sure it really delivers". Meanwhile said hyped gamers have another year tacked onto the 3 to 4 years they have already waited.

Novalogic is doing this with J-Ops. And who knows how many other devs are using this excuse. But mark me. We WILL still see the bugs. And ya just gotta love the patent and altogether to often used excuse by gamers whom I effectionately call sheep...."do ya want a game released with bugs, or a finished game"? These sheep will just accept anything a game dev has to say as Gospel. rofl Hellooo? Wake up, the Devs never release finished product.

Not that we don`t wish for it. ;0) ;0) But reality has a way of showing the real state of affairs. lol

Re: No subject
Feb 21, 2004, 20:59
Re: No subject Feb 21, 2004, 20:59
Feb 21, 2004, 20:59

It's no wonder that the games communities are seen as juvinile by most outsiders and even some from within. People make a genuine attempt at constructive criticism about whatever the current game-du-jour is, and others leap down their throat about it, calling them idiots.

You know, there are two kinds of love. There's 4 year old kid love, and there's adult love. The 4 year old kid love thinks that when you like something, it's perfect, and if someone complains about it, then that means they hate it and are stupid. Adult love means sometimes you realize something might be headed in a bad direction, and it's prudent to call attention to this to steer it back on track, because you love and care about something and want to see it become the best it can be.

It might be wise to consider this at some point, while you (the plural, as in, the community) are calling people idiots.

No subject
Feb 21, 2004, 18:57
No subject Feb 21, 2004, 18:57
Feb 21, 2004, 18:57

As a fanatical H.P. Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu fan...

After posting this he should have realized that he's fucked and will never be happy, gone to a book store, bought the D20 CoC books, and enlisted people into a PnP game. But no he decided it would be better to bitch and whine that he wouldn't get his way. A typical idiot.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Worried about this one...
Feb 21, 2004, 14:53
Worried about this one... Feb 21, 2004, 14:53
Feb 21, 2004, 14:53

As a fanatical H.P. Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu fan I'm beginning to prepare for severe dissappointment with this game. I've been following updates on it for the last 2 years or so, and it seems like every time new news comes out the game is getting scaled back yet again. I remember when this game was supposed to have extensive multiplayer options such as a unique take on deathmatch as well as full featured co-op play. The creators had also been talking about multiple vehicles such as planes, dogsleds, etc. but all these features are now mia. Not to be a naysayer but I fear that this game may being dumbed down for the x-box port and will not be a satisfying experience for hardcore Lovecraft fans who would potentially be the most interested in it. I agree with a previous poster who said they would have been much happier with a true rpg rather than a adventure\fps hybrid. Doesnt it seem rather excessive to anyone that this game has been in development for four years and still has no solid release date and at the same time has had major features cut out as well? It doesnt bode well for this project as with no multiplayer no fps type game could offer much more than 30 or so hours of gameplay. That doesnt seem like much after waiting all this time. Just imagine the possiblities that extensive multiplayer options could have had with this title. With an editor new levels based on other Lovecraft stories could be made, team deathmatch humans vs. deep ones, everyone vs 1 person playing as almighty Cthulhu. There really would have been a great deal of potential with this. I don't care so much if the graphics are somewhat dated upon release, but the cut down features is dissappointing to say the least. I still will buy this day one, but I really dont think it will live up to its namesake. Anyone feel the same?

No subject
Feb 21, 2004, 14:34
No subject Feb 21, 2004, 14:34
Feb 21, 2004, 14:34

This game looked fucking amazing 3 fucking years ago when it in 2000, now it just looks ok.

you need at least 2 more fuckings in that sentence kthxbye

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

Feb 21, 2004, 13:02
Duc
Re: No subject Feb 21, 2004, 13:02
Feb 21, 2004, 13:02
Duc

Thats what alot of people said about system shock 2 and the thief games, both looked a little dated for their time. Personally I will be happy with some interesting gameplay elements and decent execution, been folowing the game for a while and the no HUD idea is actually something I think will work in this context.

No subject
Feb 21, 2004, 12:41
No subject Feb 21, 2004, 12:41
Feb 21, 2004, 12:41

I'm not entirely convinced this game will be very good. I hope so, because I love survival horror and scary games for the PC, but I really don't have much faith in CoC. Four+ years of "polish" and a good game that results from it is the rare exception, not the rule, and the HUDless interface makes me think the game will be a pain to play, and I'll have to keep getting thrown out of the game to a menu screen whenever I want to do anything or see how injured I am.

It's unfortunate that the release has been prolonged for so long, because the screens do look a bit "previous generation" and dated. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into another "this game could have been great, but too much polish, too much marketing department, and a dated feel have killed it".

Re: After all this time...
Feb 21, 2004, 11:35
Re: After all this time... Feb 21, 2004, 11:35
Feb 21, 2004, 11:35

This game looked fucking amazing 3 fucking years ago when it in 2000, now it just looks ok.

After all this time...
Feb 21, 2004, 06:40
After all this time... Feb 21, 2004, 06:40
Feb 21, 2004, 06:40

...I hope they can pull it off. The game has always sounded interesting, but the execution has been my one question. Looking at those screens, I could easily imagine a game with a clunky feel to it and a low framerate...

DEMO, PLEASE!

Stephen, why not just link to the PC screens:
http://www.callofcthulhu.com/art/coc_pcscreens.html

Thinking UT2K4, FC, and SC:PT will keep me busy in March :),
Ray

-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fairlightchildren.com/mainpage.html
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Feb 21, 2004, 02:45
Re: No subject Feb 21, 2004, 02:45
Feb 21, 2004, 02:45

CZar is spot on, and if they didn't left their publisher in 2002 the game would have been out in a buggy state late 2002 because the publisher would have pushed it out of the doors to stay afloat.
-------
Calling Cthulhu
http://www.callingcthulhu.com

Feb 20, 2004, 23:40
Re: No subject Feb 20, 2004, 23:40
Feb 20, 2004, 23:40

In CoC's case, it's not really the dev's fault. The initial hyping was to secure a publisher, to show them there was public interest for the game and that it was worth investing in. Publishers are not going to rush in and sign a game on blind faith that it 'might' do well.

So it was 2001 that they got a publishing deal... 1 year to find a publisher. Then that first publisher bites the big one during late 2002, and legal hassles follow. Then a search for another publisher which took until mid-2003. The game probably would have been out by Q3 2003 if not for said problems. Just bad luck, really.

Feb 20, 2004, 23:23
Re: No subject Feb 20, 2004, 23:23
Feb 20, 2004, 23:23

I dunno. Really, I get turned off of games that hype for 3 to 4 years before coming out. It may rock. But my interest isn`t there after such a long wait. I will try a demo, but thats about it. Developers gotta really rethink how they PR their games. Do it like HL 2s devs. Even tho it was delayed, we still were not hyped for years on end till they released the game.
Look at STALKER. I was into that game as soon as the 1st info came out on it= I`d say more than 2+ years ago. Now I am sick of seeing any new screens. Release the demo already or STFU till the demo IS ready.

Feb 20, 2004, 21:28
Re: No subject Feb 20, 2004, 21:28
Feb 20, 2004, 21:28

at least that game still looks good - and that after ~4 years in development...
...still unsure 'bout the gameplay, with no hud and all that...but maybe we can test it... eventually...sometime...anytime...

--------------------------------------------------
everyone who finds a spelling error can keep it and use it as a base for his own errors
--------------------------------------------------
"...you don't see me - 'cause I don't have much to say..."
http://www.gathering.nl

No subject
Feb 20, 2004, 21:22
No subject Feb 20, 2004, 21:22
Feb 20, 2004, 21:22

This is one of those games that might be good but they really need to not sell out the idea they started with. I'm all up for new and weird kinds of gameplay, its not like anything can ever be harder than Crimsonland on Hardcore mode.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Re: Wallpapers
Feb 20, 2004, 21:05
Re: Wallpapers Feb 20, 2004, 21:05
Feb 20, 2004, 21:05

Cthulhu calls a lot but is too much of a pussy to actually show up, it seems.

Wallpapers
Feb 20, 2004, 18:52
Wallpapers Feb 20, 2004, 18:52
Feb 20, 2004, 18:52

Was kinda hoping they'd have nice and twisted desktops to freak the folks out with, but the two they've got only come in 6x4 and 8x6. Who even uses those resolutions anymore? Maybe over time they'll post some higher-res ones.

No subject
Feb 20, 2004, 17:51
No subject Feb 20, 2004, 17:51
Feb 20, 2004, 17:51

this isnt a rpg actually...its a survival/horror fps

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)
This comment was edited on Feb 20, 17:51.

Oh, man...
Feb 20, 2004, 17:12
Oh, man... Feb 20, 2004, 17:12
Feb 20, 2004, 17:12

...it's gonna be a suX-Box port. Well, so much for that one. I was hoping for a serious CRPG.

/shrug

Move along.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older