Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo

The Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo Win32 client is now available, offering a sample of the next installment in Epic's multiplayer shooter series. The demo is a 209 MB download, available on 3D Gamers, Absolute Gamer's, ActionTrip, Adrenaline Vault, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush, FileShack (registration required), GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc, NVIDIA's nZone, UT2003Files, and Worthplaying. Here's word from an earlier story on this on the contents: "The Unreal Tournament 2004 official demo includes five playable game modes, and offers fans their first taste of Unreal Tournament 2004’s two new game modes: the introduction of the hyper-charged Onslaught mode and the return of the fan-favorite Assault mode, which last appeared in the original Unreal Tournament. The demo also features established gametypes like Deathmatch, Capture the Flag and Bombing Run."
View : : :
206 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older

This Game is Pure Love
Feb 12, 2004, 14:52
This Game is Pure Love Feb 12, 2004, 14:52
Feb 12, 2004, 14:52

This is it. I'm sold. This game is great - totally worth US$60 (US$30 if you bought UT2k3).

The bots, the vehicles, the gametypes, the physics, the strategy, the everything. The game just reeks of quality.

There is more strategy here than most other FPS's. More than most other GENRES. This game is tactical bootcamp plus the satisfying up close and personal feel of classic FPS's.

No comparisons to other products. This game is in a league of its own. The differentiating factors are quality, BALANCE and LOADWADS of content.

Re: Really that good?
Feb 12, 2004, 13:49
Re: Really that good? Feb 12, 2004, 13:49
Feb 12, 2004, 13:49

if you can afford the 60 dollar DVD set

As nin pointed out earlier, the DVD edition is available for the same price as the regular version at EBGames.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive
You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Re: Really that good?
Feb 12, 2004, 13:36
Re: Really that good? Feb 12, 2004, 13:36
Feb 12, 2004, 13:36

>Is it really that good that a FPS veteran who played >everything since ipx-doom can get some fun out of it?

Hard to say. I'm in that boat...played multiplayer FPS as long as you...and I kinda like UT2K4. I'll admit it's nothing groundbreaking. Looks pretty much just like 2K3, but with vehicles. However, I *did* enjoy playing Onslaught mode, even just against the bots. I guess if you gotta save up to buy it, you might wanna wait until it hits bargain bin prices and just get as much playtime out of the demo as possible, otherwise, if you can afford the 60 dollar DVD set, it's probably worth it, if you liked 2K3.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

Re: Eh...
Feb 12, 2004, 13:00
Flo
Re: Eh... Feb 12, 2004, 13:00
Feb 12, 2004, 13:00
Flo

I have to agree with rock climber there. There just isn't anything new in it.. Will have a hard time on shelves against BF-Vietnam. It's fun for a quick match but so is q3 rocket arena, cpm or Threewave. What really pisses me off: No in-game FSAA!!!
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Re: File Planet rockin ass
Feb 12, 2004, 11:30
Re: File Planet rockin ass Feb 12, 2004, 11:30
Feb 12, 2004, 11:30

24 minutes to download a 209 meg file at 142 KBS

I guess paying a small amount has its advantages you fags

Feel better about yourself now?

the best part about life is knowing you put it together

Re: Eh...
Feb 12, 2004, 11:26
Re: Eh... Feb 12, 2004, 11:26
Feb 12, 2004, 11:26

Sorry, I remain completely unimpressed by this game. Still plays to me like it was meant for kid's who could use some ritalin. Maps look crappy and the weapons are uninspiring.

Sorry to all the fanboys, it's my opinion. I'll just wait for Doom 3.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Eh...
Feb 12, 2004, 11:06
Eh... Feb 12, 2004, 11:06
Feb 12, 2004, 11:06

I only played it once, briefly, last night in Onslaught mode. I need to read the freaking manual it appears, since I really didn't understand the map or what the hell was going on. I'll try again tonight. Seemed to me that you could fire much, much further than you could identify friend or foe. I may have missing something though.

The thing that's always irked me about the UT games was the insanely long load times -- making external server browsers nearly useless -- and the incredibly crappy internal server browser. It's particularly surprising when you consider that most of the UI is much more polished than the competition (compare UT or UT2k3 to Q2 or Q3, stock -- the Quake engines are missing useful menus, scoreboards, etc.). I got frustrated last night trying to find a server worth a damn, especially since the browser re-scans every time you fail to connect.

Personally, I enjoyed both UT and UT2k3... UT2k3's CTF was the best CTF I've played since the original Q1. Haven't played either in over a year though.

File Planet rockin ass
Feb 12, 2004, 10:58
File Planet rockin ass Feb 12, 2004, 10:58
Feb 12, 2004, 10:58

24 minutes to download a 209 meg file at 142 KBS

I guess paying a small amount has its advantages you fags

Re: No subject
Feb 12, 2004, 10:51
Re: No subject Feb 12, 2004, 10:51
Feb 12, 2004, 10:51

got 1.48 d/l speed through avault.com

Re: No subject
Feb 12, 2004, 10:50
Re: No subject Feb 12, 2004, 10:50
Feb 12, 2004, 10:50

I was getting 1.48mb d/l speed through avault.com

Re: Epic are gonna go down
Feb 12, 2004, 10:38
Re: Epic are gonna go down Feb 12, 2004, 10:38
Feb 12, 2004, 10:38

HERETIC INDEED

you dont know a good game if it hit you in the face obviously...

Yeah, that's why I prefer playing Tribes over all other MP games.

Re: voice chat
Feb 12, 2004, 10:27
Re: voice chat Feb 12, 2004, 10:27
Feb 12, 2004, 10:27

Legitimate constests like this in my opinion are the ones which let the winner choose between "cash or prizes."

Hmm, I always thought such contests were _required_ to offer cash or prizes. Guess not.. and the FAQ on the contest site isn't clear, but makes it sound like yu might not be taxed on the license (if you trust Tim Sweeney as your tax cosultant )

How is epic going to handle the prize taxes on the game engine and other cash prizes?

TimSweeney[Epic] You want ME to answer the tax questions? :-) Ok, I'll try.

Contest winners are responsible for paying any taxes on prizes that are earned.

What is taxed and what isn't varies with different countries. It is our understanding that cash prizes are taxed as income in most places. Because the engine license is a license and not a physical item, my understanding is that we can provide it in a way that doesn't incur any tax.

Anyways, I need to check out this demo.

Re: No Subject
Feb 12, 2004, 10:18
Re: No Subject Feb 12, 2004, 10:18
Feb 12, 2004, 10:18

Ok, i tried the demo and i was a little dissapointed. That DM map in the demo was very uninspiring (textures). The guns are smaller but everything else is the same. Since i already have UT2003 there is no need to upgrade. If it's vehicles i want then i'd rather wait for FarCry so i can take advantage of the stealth in that game. D3 should give me the next level of vanilla DM with it's shadows and lighting. So i think i will pass on this one. It really does feel like an expansion pack.

<wasp>

Feb 12, 2004, 10:15
Re: voice chat Feb 12, 2004, 10:15
Feb 12, 2004, 10:15

Wow. Cynical much? Look, I won the gametype cat for the first phase in the MSUC, which is one of the lowest for cash prizes in the entire contest.

No offense, but where are you coming from "and the "value" ascribed to it for the purposes of the contest, was $350,000, which is about $100,000 more than I have seen the engines going for in the recent past--for cash buyers, that is. "

What, you scan ebay for game licenses? Gimme a break. The "value" is what it would cost a studio to buy it. Sounds pretty straight forward to me.

First of all, nearly all the prizes are cash, some are supplemented with computers, and the grand prize is a license which the owner is free to do with what they will - so most of your scenario is a bit bunk.

Second, most mod authors are glad to get *anything* for their work, even if it's just a nod from pros. Heck, my best prize so far - a mention in an official Atari PR statement. That's probably not going to happen for me again.

Third, I don't see anyone else ponying up this kind of stable to try to reward mod authors. Is Epic getting a lot of press for it? nVidia? Heck yah, and they deserve it! I'd rather have a company sponsoring a contest to engage mods into development rather than just picking and choosing a choice few to become "official" titles. This isn't the "Price is Right", it's a company trying to stimulate development with their engine.

Feb 12, 2004, 09:54
Re: voice chat Feb 12, 2004, 09:54
Feb 12, 2004, 09:54

Yeah but noboby was giving away $1 million dollars for the best MOD for UT2003 either which is exactly what Nvidia is doing for UT2K4.

There will be MODS. Great ones.

You might want to check out the fine print...;) Last time I looked it was nVidia & Epic (and maybe some other companies) supplying the prizes, and the "million dollars" wasn't actually a million dollars cash, it was a whole bunch of stuff to which the companies have affixed a value of "one million dollars."

The largest prize that I saw listed was an engine license for UT2k3, and the "value" ascribed to it for the purposes of the contest, was $350,000, which is about $100,000 more than I have seen the engines going for in the recent past--for cash buyers, that is.

My guess is that the "one million dollars" is a collection of stuff which the companies have provided for the contest out of existing inventories, which have all been inflated in value by 25%-33% above the asking price, or the "street" price, simply to make up the "one million dollar" contest headline (which you know, of course, is done for publicity and advertising purposes for the benefit of the sponsors.)

The "great" thing about this contest from the standpoint of the winner is that when he wins, the contest sponsors (nVidia, Epic, and whoever else is involved) will send the IRS notification (required by law) that "John Doe" has been paid in "prizes" worth "one million dollars" and lucky, lucky John Doe gets to fork over $300,000 to $400,000 to the IRS for taxes due on this fabulous prize! The really cool thing is that the IRS won't simply take John Doe's new UT2K3-engine license as payment for taxes due, no, the IRS insists on cash! So, unless John Doe is independently wealthy, "winning" this mod contest is going to cost him a few hundred grand in cash, which John Doe will have to raise somehow, very possibly by selling a decent chunk of his prizes (game-show contest winners often end up having to sell much of what they win to pay the taxes due, and the practice is common--you just will never hear the company sponsors talking about this "fun" aspect of "winning prizes.")

About the most positive thing I could see happening here is that the contest sponsors supply enough cash along with the "other stuff" to pay the taxes on the stuff, but then if that's the case then John Doe actually winds up with a whole lot of stuff he may not actually need, and no money at all at the end of the day...;) But the contest sponsors get a lot of publicity out of it, and that's the whole idea.

Another kind of scam where constests go is not only the "one million dollar" prize contest which consists of little to no cash but "stuff we think is worth one million dollars," but all those contests in which it isn't clear whether the "winner" gets the "one million dollars" or whether the prize is divided among a whole bunch of people with *nobody* winning "one million dollars" but 20-30 people getting different-sized chunks of the "one million dollar" prize (which, as I said, may not include any cash prizes whatsoever.)

Legitimate constests like this in my opinion are the ones which let the winner choose between "cash or prizes." Or, even more rare, are the contests which award the stipulated prizes & pay the taxes for the winner. These are the only "real" contests, IMO.

Before entering any contest like this it really pays to read the fine print and contact the sponsors for official statements relating to how the taxes on the winnings are handled. Some contests, for some people, are far too costly to enter and win...;)

Ever watch "The Price is Right" TV game show, and see how excited the winners are? Ever watch them jumping up & down, hugging everybody, crying and screaming in pure ecstasy? I think we all have...;) It's just too bad we can't see them react to getting their tax bills a few weeks later--I'll wager it's an entirely different scene...;)

It is well known that I don't make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in something I have written, you can be confident in the fact that *I* did not write it.

Mods
Feb 12, 2004, 09:41
Mods Feb 12, 2004, 09:41
Feb 12, 2004, 09:41

Nothing wrong with mod teams making money out of their hard work. But there must be a reason why BF1942 has been modded so much despite the engine being crap and no proper tools being available. Also HL continues to have loads of mods made for it despite the age.

I bought UT2003 expecting it to be the next big thing in mod land but it’s just been overlooked, that can’t just be because there was no $1 million competition running.

Re: Epic are gonna go down
Feb 12, 2004, 09:38
Re: Epic are gonna go down Feb 12, 2004, 09:38
Feb 12, 2004, 09:38

Not for me, of course back then I was running a Voodoo3 vid card which ran the game great (but could hardly handle Q3). I'm betting you had an Nvidia TNT card which seemed to be the card to have to play Q3 but wouldn't do squat with UT until the GeForce line came out.

You are correct... a P3 450 w/TNT2ultra to be precise. Don't get me wrong, I played through the game and enjoyed it, but the lackluster framerate absolutly ruined the immersion. Back then I preferred playing Kingpin DM.

BTW, = sarcasm.

Feb 12, 2004, 09:31
Re: voice chat Feb 12, 2004, 09:31
Feb 12, 2004, 09:31

If people are only making mods for the $1,000,000 doesn’t say much for the engine or the community does it.

I dunno, that's serious scratch, I don't expect mod authors to be so altruistic as to totally pass up the need to feed or clothe or house themselves for the free amusement of fellow dorks and increased sales for the publishers. It takes a real team to make a noticable mod these days, look at Desert Combat, it's supported by a huge team, but it's also more popular than the very game it's modding. Counter-strike, DC, DoD, etc have set a precedent for quality and popularity that modders can't beat alone in their basement anymore.

Re: 64 bit ?
Feb 12, 2004, 09:24
Re: 64 bit ? Feb 12, 2004, 09:24
Feb 12, 2004, 09:24

you can get the demo with no waiting at http://www.ccgr.org

Feb 12, 2004, 09:18
Re: voice chat Feb 12, 2004, 09:18
Feb 12, 2004, 09:18

If people are only making mods for the $1,000,000 doesn’t say much for the engine or the community does it.

206 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older