37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

No subject
Feb 10, 2004, 16:51
No subject Feb 10, 2004, 16:51
Feb 10, 2004, 16:51

I haven't tried Firefox yet but I have a recent .8 build of Firebird so I doubt much has changed. Tabs, and the Tabs extension is beautiful and lets you set up the tabs anyway you please. Lately I've also been using the Stumble extension that allows you to choose interests that you share with other people and you basically are led to sites that like-minded people have recommended because they found them interested. Another nice feature is the ability to load any number of search engines into your search bar for specific searching.

For some sites (I've only come across a few)that open screenshots or similar links in a non-browser window, you have to enable pop-ups for that site or it will just appear the links aren't working. I can't get "copy link location" to initiate my download utility (IDM or Flashget). I have to open the utility and drag and drop the link. Other than that it's been pretty smooth sailing.

When I have to use a Windows browser I use Netcaptor which is also a very good browser.

Re: Browses Great, Less Filling
Feb 10, 2004, 09:22
Re: Browses Great, Less Filling Feb 10, 2004, 09:22
Feb 10, 2004, 09:22

CRAP! I keep trying to use mouse gestures here at work. We have no choice but to use IE here though.

After using Firebird/fox at home for a couple days, I'm already missing mouse gestures and tabbed browsing at work. I wonder if I can convince the support team to install Firefox for all 3500 employees...

Seriously though, Firefox has been a nice change from IE.

tapes 'n' tapes
tapes 'n' tapes
tapes 'n' tapes

Feb 10, 2004, 08:17
Re: Browses Great, Less Filling Feb 10, 2004, 08:17
Feb 10, 2004, 08:17

To be honest, IE6 with the google bar (i.e. a popup blocker) works fine for me. Also, I had some problems fitting Firebird up with java, shockwave, flash etc. The plugin self installer can get confused quite easily and download the wrong thing. Oh, and sometime torrent files get confused and display garbage (although I see Firefox may have fixed that with rar files.)
That being said, I like tabbed browsing, especially being able to click the mouse button (mouse3) to open a new tab. And I like being able to click one button and have the history, cache, passwords, cookies & everything else wiped. And I especially like how entry adverts (like the one you get every 24 hrs here or at UGO etc) often ignore Firebird and take you straight where youre trying to get to.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 08:21.

Feb 10, 2004, 07:59
DG
Re: Browses Great, Less Filling Feb 10, 2004, 07:59
Feb 10, 2004, 07:59
DG

<i>it was NOT the @ sign one. It was a bug where any link could direct you to a site, but put ANYTHING they wanted in your address bar.
So by looking at you IE window there would be no way to tell that you were not ay mybank.com or paypal.com whatever.</i>

Isnt that the %01 as posted..?

this is that Ms advisory -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];833786

Re: Opera vs. All
Feb 10, 2004, 04:45
Re: Opera vs. All Feb 10, 2004, 04:45
Feb 10, 2004, 04:45

Opera's had "keywords in the address bar" for ages, they're called "Nicknames" over there though

You have to have set them up beforehand. In Firefox you can type keywords in and it does a google feeling lucky and loads the first site it finds.

Re: Optimized Firefox builds
Feb 10, 2004, 03:21
Re: Optimized Firefox builds Feb 10, 2004, 03:21
Feb 10, 2004, 03:21

Ok, for real this time...

Mozilla Firefox 0.8 FINAL Optimized Builds:

Ok, optimized branch builds for Firefox 0.8 (as opposed to the nightly trunk builds I linked to earlier) have been released, meaning, these are the actual 0.8 official release, just recompiled with optimizations turned on:

http://scragz.com/files/dl/files/mozilla/MozillaFirefox-0.8-final-O1-G7-SSE2.7z.exe : Optimized for Pentium 4, Pentium M, Celeron 1.7GHz+, and Athlon64 with SSE2

http://scragz.com/files/dl/files/mozilla/MozillaFirefox-0.8-final-O1-G7-SSE.7z.exe : Optimized for Athlon XP and some newer Durons with SSE

http://scragz.com/files/dl/files/mozilla/MozillaFirefox-0.8-final-O1-G6-SSE.7z.exe : Optimized for Pentium III and Pentium III based Celerons with SSE

http://scragz.com/files/dl/files/mozilla/MozillaFirefox-0.8-final-O1-G7.7z.exe : Optimized for non-SSE Athlons

Installation instructions:
These are self-extracting zips, and do not come with an installer like the official release. What I recommend doing is, install the official release (so the installer sets up your registry settings, shortcuts, etc), then afterwards, extract your optimized build of choice into the install directory, overwriting all files. Then enjoy!

Before anyone asks, the reason the icon is different in the optimized build is outlined here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=50876

Basically, the new artwork for 0.8 is trademarked, so unofficial builds (like these optimized ones) will not have the new icons. Personally, I just used a resource editor to get the icon out of the official exe and put it in my optimized exe.

Feb 9, 2004, 22:18
Re: Browses Great, Less Filling Feb 9, 2004, 22:18
Feb 9, 2004, 22:18

Also, isnt opera pay software?
or for the free version has banners?

Yes, and yes.

The free version has a banner in the upper right along the toolbar, the paid version is, well, I don't know. I got it for $20 (student discount). To me it was well worth the price, and support. I tried Firebird for quite some time along side Opera, and preferred Opera. Combined with the fact that it's my email client now, it wasn't a hard choice to purchase the ad-free version.

You do have to purchase major version upgrades though. Right now the latest final release is 7.23, and there's a beta of 7.5 out. I won't have to pay for that upgrade, but once 8.0 is cracked I will (or continue to use an older version). So far though version changes have been pretty major; the jump to 7.5 from 7.23 is a great deal more than simple bug fixes, hell, much of the brower and email client was revamped.

Feb 9, 2004, 20:58
Re: Opera vs. All Feb 9, 2004, 20:58
Feb 9, 2004, 20:58

I still keep MSIE around because very occasionally there are sites that don't work in anything else.

This is why I use AvantBrowser.

http://www.avantbrowser.com

Creston

Edit : Oops, someone beat me to it. I have no problem with it crashing and resource hogging, but I still have this annoying bug where if I click on the little scroll down button to the side of this box that I'm typing in, it puts me all the way down at the bottom of the box. Only way to scroll down line by line is by dragging the little cube thing down.

This bug has been in there (for me anyways) for a few editions now, but I find I can live with it.

Other than that, I appreciate everything about avantbrowser, and I can heartily recommend it.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 21:00.

Feb 9, 2004, 20:13
Re: Browses Great, Less Filling Feb 9, 2004, 20:13
Feb 9, 2004, 20:13

someone else said it, but it bears repeating
firevird; "No ads, no popups, click-to-view Flash, it's easy to leave [only the annoying options of] Java disabled"

Also, isnt opera pay software?
or for the free version has banners?

The phishing bug in IE was in it for over a year. One of microsofts advisories was to never click on links, only type in addresses manualy.
It was NOT the @ sign one. It was a bug where any link could direct you to a site, but put ANYTHING they wanted in your address bar.
So by looking at you IE window there would be no way to tell that you were not ay mybank.com or paypal.com whatever.

Re: No subject
Feb 9, 2004, 20:10
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2004, 20:10
Feb 9, 2004, 20:10

So, do you have to speak in Russian in order to use the new Mozilla?
Yeah, and the neurolink is a bitch.

i[There's a man out there I haven't seen in 15 years who's trying to kill me.]
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Browses Great, Less Filling
Feb 9, 2004, 18:59
Browses Great, Less Filling Feb 9, 2004, 18:59
Feb 9, 2004, 18:59

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Avant Browser: When you absolutely, positively have to use IE but like the nice features of tabs, pop-up blocking, flash blocking, etc.

It's not perfect though - after surfing a while it will either crash, or exit but still sit in the background chewing up 99% CPU time. At least on my machine... I'm thinking about jumping ship to MyIE.

http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

------

<grampa>As for GarageBand... in my day, we used to use trackers like OctaMED on our lowly 1 megabyte Amigas to churn out MOD songs, and we liked it that way!</grampa>

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

No subject
Feb 9, 2004, 18:20
No subject Feb 9, 2004, 18:20
Feb 9, 2004, 18:20

I keep IE around for the odd occasion, but almost all of my browsing is done in Firebird... err fox... down.

If you're having issues with the this release not starting up properly, you may need to remove the files in your windows user application data directory btw.

Feb 9, 2004, 17:32
Re: Opera vs. All Feb 9, 2004, 17:32
Feb 9, 2004, 17:32

It's true. I still keep MSIE around because very occasionally there are sites that don't work in anything else. But all the important sites seem to work for me. My bank, Amazon.com, Netflix.com (Firefox most certainly supports SSL). Most of the time this happens is because web designers and web masters just can't be bothered, or don't care to, even check their sites in other browsers. Or get so disgusted that other browsers don't support the Microsoft way of doing things they give up in disgust and just decide to support MSIE (because, after all, everybody uses it). I work with the web every day of my life and I know the feeling, but usually it's the other way around for me. I'm tempted to just give up trying to support MSIE.

Feb 9, 2004, 17:26
Re: Opera vs. All Feb 9, 2004, 17:26
Feb 9, 2004, 17:26

Just try it.. the download is less than 10 MB so you can't really go wrong. I've only had issues with 2 sites and I don't visit them that often anyways so it doesn't really bother me.

------------
Love,
Mayor Danm{
ExcessDan

Feb 9, 2004, 17:21
Re: Opera vs. All Feb 9, 2004, 17:21
Feb 9, 2004, 17:21

OK, all this talk has piqued my interest. I've been using MSIE for ever and want a change. Someone mentioned that their bank was non-accessible via firefox. Any other issues people have experienced? Does SSL work in firefox? I'm assuming that there are plugins for flash, shockwave, etc. that work?

Thanks,
ZigZang

Feb 9, 2004, 17:02
Re: Opera vs. All Feb 9, 2004, 17:02
Feb 9, 2004, 17:02

Opera's had "keywords in the address bar" for ages, they're called "Nicknames" over there though.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 17:03.

Feb 9, 2004, 16:32
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2004, 16:32
Feb 9, 2004, 16:32

Firebird is great. The only downer is that my online banking doesnt work with it. And viewing MS documents in a page (word, powerpoint) can be problematic.

Feb 9, 2004, 16:11
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2004, 16:11
Feb 9, 2004, 16:11

how does Firebird/fox stop phishing? honest question.
Oops, of course you're right. No technology on Earth can compensate for stupidity. I was talking about the latest in the long line of MSIE security issues where the URL you actually saw in the address bar was not where you were actually pointed. As far as the '@' trick explained by DG, this can still fool the unwary, even in Firefox, but at least what you see in the address bar is exactly where you are. MS fixed this latest problem, but you just know there will be more. Many, many more.

I think browser makers should just disable the clear text logon/password option in the url by default. I mean who uses that anymore? For those that still do they would have to turn it on manually.

As for whether to use Friefox/Mozilla/Netscape 7, depends on what you do. I'm old-fashioned enough to want to use an email program for email, an HTML composition program for creating HTML (or Textpad as the case me be), a newsreader to read usenet, etc. I really hate these attempts to make the browser do everything under the sun. I want my web browser to just be a web browser. Firefox was made just for people like me. And it loads a LOT faster than Mozilla or Netscape as a result.

No subject
Feb 9, 2004, 16:02
No subject Feb 9, 2004, 16:02
Feb 9, 2004, 16:02

I like firebird/fox. Now if only I could get copy to clipboard links to work along with being able to have the option of opening exe's instead of having to save them first....

edit: Well nevermind about opening exe's without having to save them because is fixed in firefox yay! Copy to clipboard links still is still on my wishlist.

------------
Love,
Mayor Danm{

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 16:34.
ExcessDan

No subject
Feb 9, 2004, 15:48
No subject Feb 9, 2004, 15:48
Feb 9, 2004, 15:48

I like fire fox for some reason, I think its the absence of mind controling theta waves.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older