URU Live Dead

The Cyan Worlds Website has word that the URU Live aspect of URU: Ages Beyond Myst is being shut down (thanks mtnlover). Here's the gist of it, starting with the bad news:
Uru Live is being put to bed.

Even with all of the time, money, resources, code, people, sweat, and heart that were poured into Uru Live, we needed a certain number of subscribers to pay the bills. We didn't get there. Uru Live is innovative and unique; its online universe is one of the most beautiful and complex ever built, anywhere. The idea of ongoing content was dramatic and forward-looking, but it required a substantial continuing effort to sustain. We were just not able to sign up the number of subscribers (even for free) necessary to pay for that effort.

Now for the good news...

The soul of Uru Live will live larger.

The soul of Uru Live came in two parts: the community and the content. Both will live on. Nothing can kill the community - it has a life of its own. The Call and the Gathering of the community will continue. And the content - what can I say? We have it, large amounts of it, ready to expand the world of Uru. In the past weeks we've been hard at work packaging that content in a different, more inclusive form - expansion packs - the first of which will be available in a month or two. Even better, the first expansion pack, To D'ni, is free. And there's more good news on inclusivity. I'm pleased to officially announce that the Mac version of Uru is finally under way.
View : : :
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

OT: Uru... sounds familiar...
Feb 5, 2004, 12:15
OT: Uru... sounds familiar... Feb 5, 2004, 12:15
Feb 5, 2004, 12:15

Isn't "Uru" what the good guy mystics in Dark Crystal were called?

Man I hated the Garthen... big giant cockroaches are scary *shudder*

Wow...just wow
Feb 5, 2004, 10:16
Wow...just wow Feb 5, 2004, 10:16
Feb 5, 2004, 10:16

The thing never really left a Beta stage and they are cancelling it? That has to be the shorted lived MMOG that I've ever heard of.

I'd think they would have some obligation to the people that bought the game to support it for at least 6 months to a year. Even EA with their Motorcity Online game let it run for a year at a loss before shutting it down.

Here's an idea
Feb 5, 2004, 09:53
Here's an idea Feb 5, 2004, 09:53
Feb 5, 2004, 09:53

I have a marvel idea last night. Perhaps they should port it to the Xbox and have Microsoft run uru's online stuff on their xbox live systems.

Re: subscribing in general
Feb 5, 2004, 09:50
Re: subscribing in general Feb 5, 2004, 09:50
Feb 5, 2004, 09:50

Love and Ubisoft

It hurt badly as the Ubi executive leaned me gently over the barrel. Don't worry this won't take long he stated as he pulled my pants down around my ankles...."Are'nt you going to use some lube?", I asked with a whisper.

"NO! NO! No need for lube my friend!", he said smiling wickedly.

He quickly checked the pockets in the pants that now lay around my ankles. "I KNOW you have more money on you!", he shrieked with a cold despair in his voice. "I need another $29.99 now GODDAMMIT!".

"But sir!", I protested weakly. "What about the promises you made? You told me I could play this game online, it says so in big bright letters on your box, your website said I could play this game online, it offered exciting worlds to explore!"

"Shut the fuck up you worthless bitch! We have your money, it doesnt matter what we promised....what the fuck are you going to do about it! Now sit back and enjoy this!", he screamed.

Anyone else smell a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!

I'll be talking with my lawyer this afternoon and will try to get a website up soon for your signatures. Enough is enough.....it's time to start hitting back.

Fucking game companies...........what a joke.

Peace Out

Elusive

Feb 5, 2004, 09:16
f13
Re: subscribing in general Feb 5, 2004, 09:16
Feb 5, 2004, 09:16
f13

servers, bandwidth, technicians, labour, it ain't free dude!

Feb 5, 2004, 09:15
Re: subscribing in general Feb 5, 2004, 09:15
Feb 5, 2004, 09:15

"Let me get this straight, in order for a game maker to be able to recover the cost of including multiplayer capability in a given game, they must make it a subscriber service?"

No. That's not it at all. Games ship all the time with multiplayer capabilities that are complete at the time of release. (FPS and RTS games mainly)

The reason for the charge is that they have to continually come up with, design and develop new puzzles, new worlds, new sounds, and other new content all the time. Other games LIKE FPS games do not have to do that. Other games can give you 15 maps to play on and call it even. In an fps game, it doesn't matter if you're playing on the same 15 maps for half a year. In an adventure game... who wants to complete the same 15 puzzles over and over?

That is why adventure games that try to do an online aspect will ALWAYS require a subscription fee, while FPS games and the like will not.

"What were they thinking? Of course nobody WANTS to keep paying to play a game they have already paid for. Obviously multiplayer was optional in the case of this game, so it should have been free to play - if it was a multiplayer only title pay to play is more forgivable."

That argument makes no sense at all. Multiplayer was optional so it should be free? Optional or no, they would still have to develop new content on a regular basis and SOMEONE has to pay for that. No other games (with the exception of AA) give you regular free content, why would this one be any different.

You already -got- a complete single player game for your money, so you wouldn't have been 'still paying for a game you already bought'. The online content you could think of as a bunch of small expansions to the game that you pay for a month at a time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very upset about this as I bought the game almost solely for the online section of it. That still doesn't make what you just suggested correct.
This comment was edited on Feb 5, 09:22.

Re: kinda sad
Feb 5, 2004, 07:56
Re: kinda sad Feb 5, 2004, 07:56
Feb 5, 2004, 07:56

ROFLMAO!

What were they thinking? Of course nobody WANTS to keep paying to play a game they have already paid for. Obviously multiplayer was optional in the case of this game, so it should have been free to play - if it was a multiplayer only title pay to play is more forgivable.

subscribing in general
Feb 5, 2004, 06:12
subscribing in general Feb 5, 2004, 06:12
Feb 5, 2004, 06:12

Let me get this straight, in order for a game maker to be able to recover the cost of including multiplayer capability in a given game, they must make it a subscriber service?

Re: Whoa!
Feb 5, 2004, 02:13
Re: Whoa! Feb 5, 2004, 02:13
Feb 5, 2004, 02:13

"They said Expansion Packs, plural, so there will be more than one..."

They've already lied to me once with this title alone, not even taking into account the whole RvS mess. Why should I believe this new spiel of theirs?

I think they'll put out one, possibly a second that they can charge for just to use up the content they've already created. Beyond that, I don't think they give a damn at all. They lied to the customers and got their money from it, why bother doing anything more?

I hope they do get sued.

Feb 5, 2004, 01:29
Re: Whoa! Feb 5, 2004, 01:29
Feb 5, 2004, 01:29

They said Expansion Packs, plural, so there will be more than one, and that the first one to D'ni is only free. So it sounds like we'll still have to pay something for the others.

That's true, but if we played Uru Live, we would have had to pay for that too. I hope the expansions are more like the previous Myst games and not as much like Uru.. well, as far as the puzzles go at least. Having to find all those journey cloths made it seem more like a hide-and-go-seek adventure game.

I don't know how to explain it any better, but I just enjoyed the gameplay a little more in the first 3 Myst titles. Of course I did enjoy the stunning 3D graphics in Uru.

This space is available for rent

Re: Wishful thinking
Feb 5, 2004, 01:09
Re: Wishful thinking Feb 5, 2004, 01:09
Feb 5, 2004, 01:09

Bitchy? I was just letting him no that he miss read it because it sounded like he thought there was only one expansion. So far I've been trying to promote the game as still good despite this, I was never complaining.

Feb 5, 2004, 01:05
Re: Wishful thinking Feb 5, 2004, 01:05
Feb 5, 2004, 01:05

They did the same with Raven-Shield. Linux dedicated servers were supposed to ship with the game. They didn't.

Dude, if you can run a dedicated Linux game server, more oftne than not you can boot up a Windoze box and build the server out of it. I know, it's irritating you would even have to consider this when Ubi promised Linux support from the get-go, but their product support line has always sucked; and will continue to suck as long as current management is in power.

They said Expansion Packs, plural, so there will be more than one, and that the first one to D'ni is only free.

Blah, bitch bitch bitchyyyy....

Bones: He's dead, Jim. Dead.

Game over, man.

Feb 5, 2004, 00:43
Re: Whoa! Feb 5, 2004, 00:43
Feb 5, 2004, 00:43

I'm just glad the expansion will be free.. because we deserve that.

They said Expansion Packs, plural, so there will be more than one, and that the first one to D'ni is only free. So it sounds like we'll still have to pay something for the others.

Feb 4, 2004, 23:41
Re: Whoa! Feb 4, 2004, 23:41
Feb 4, 2004, 23:41

Holy shit! And I almost bought Uru today! I'm sure as hell not paying $50 for a game that half of it is now gone! Wow, close one. Hey Cyan/whoever: Lower the price of Uru and I'll buy it! Thanks!

$50 dollars is a lot, you should have gotten it when it was on sale at Best Buy on it's first week out

Or you could get it from GoGamer.com for $27.90 (well, about $34 after shipping). Although I'm sure the price will drop everywhere now that the Live portion of the game as been canned. I got it for about $40 before New Years.

I'm just glad the expansion will be free.. because we deserve that.

This space is available for rent

Feb 4, 2004, 23:15
Re: Wishful thinking Feb 4, 2004, 23:15
Feb 4, 2004, 23:15

I bought this game for both components; the single player and multiplayer aspects. I got burned. The online aspect was NEVER actually completed. The only part of it that worked at all was the prologue, which really was just a beta-test of the technologies. The few times that I managed to connect, the experience was a complete letdown. Buggy, laggy crap. I waited and waited and waited for things to improve and now this... Ubi can suck my balls.
---
Chris.

Feb 4, 2004, 22:51
Re: Wishful thinking Feb 4, 2004, 22:51
Feb 4, 2004, 22:51

My opinion is fairly clear cut. It had nothing at all to do with the number of subscribers, they're just passing the buck, blaming it on the buyers instead of them.

I personally think it was a technical problem. They took on more than they could handle and when they realized it they cooked up a story to justify shutting it down. If you've followed any other UBI games, you'd know this is classic UBI behavior. Promise a feature to be included with a game, then at release say it didn't get finished in time, we're working on it. Then a while later, they just say 'Oh well, maybe next time.'

They did the same with Raven-Shield. Linux dedicated servers were supposed to ship with the game. They didn't. They said they were testing them and they'd ship with 1.2. They didn't. 1.3 the windows dedicated servers shipped but the linux ones never did. Now they refuse to comment on the linux servers and they're at patch 1.53. That's 9 patches after it was supposed to be released and still nothing even after they said it would be included in the 1.2 patch. (Don't think 9 patches is a good thing, though... 5 of those patches were shipped to fix bugs they added with the other 4 patches.)

Feb 4, 2004, 22:48
Re: Whoa! Feb 4, 2004, 22:48
Feb 4, 2004, 22:48

Holy shit! And I almost bought Uru today! I'm sure as hell not paying $50 for a game that half of it is now gone! Wow, close one. Hey Cyan/whoever: Lower the price of Uru and I'll buy it! Thanks!

You still can play the SP part perfectly fine, no different than any Myst game. The live version offered new ages to explore over time, and as it sounds, you would have needed to pay to access that, so even if you bought the game with Uru live still working, you wouldn't have anymore content than if it was down. And now they're offering part of it in the first expansion for free, which would not be the case if live was still up.

$50 dollars is a lot, you should have gotten it when it was on sale at Best Buy on it's first week out

I wouldn't pass up the game because of this. If you liked Myst games before, then you should be able to enjoy just as much as the old games without the live part. Also, the 5.1 sound in the game is awesome, really makes the world come alive. Play the demo to see what it's like.

I need to get into again, only finished two ages. How many ages are in the game, besides the live ones?

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 22:52.

Dramatic much?
Feb 4, 2004, 22:44
Dramatic much? Feb 4, 2004, 22:44
Feb 4, 2004, 22:44

The soul of Uru live will live larger?

Give me a fucking break.

Feb 4, 2004, 22:35
Re: Wishful thinking Feb 4, 2004, 22:35
Feb 4, 2004, 22:35

hu, connecting to the server should have never been an issue if he had an account and password set up. i was commenting on the fact that the main location of the prolouge, the city, was constantly full. it doesn't make any sense that they could say there was not as many subscribers as they had intended, when anyone who did subscibe knows damn well that there was not enough space for us in the game anyway. it simply can't be both ways.

Trekian in nature...
Feb 4, 2004, 22:32
Trekian in nature... Feb 4, 2004, 22:32
Feb 4, 2004, 22:32

Bones: He's dead, Jim. Dead.

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- W. Somerset Maugham
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older