Crytek Raided

German website PC Games Online (thanks Fappin) has word that the offices of Far Cry developer Crytek were raided by the police this morning. Here's a rough Babel Fish translation of a bit that suggests a disgruntled ex-employee (are they ever gruntled?) tipped the police that pirated software was in use: "According to first estimations of the police Crytek used illegally software for play production and caused thus a damage within the six-digit range. Evidence was placed already surely. The law guardians had become attentive by the reference of a former Crytek coworker."
View : : :
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: --> Far Cry Raided UPDATE
Feb 9, 2004, 10:02
Re: --> Far Cry Raided UPDATE Feb 9, 2004, 10:02
Feb 9, 2004, 10:02

Origin, however, has been in the lead for more than half a decade; everything they touch turns to $hit

LOL, so true. Have they made anything not Ultima Online related lately? The last thing I remember was Wing Commander 5, a bloody disgrace to the Wing Commander Series.

Oops forgot about freelancer, wow. I actually had the privelidge of seeing this game in development at E3 a few years ago, and it looked incredible. Apparently they decided to radically alter the game before release and the demo was all I needed to see before giving up on it.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 10:08.

Re: An official statement
Feb 9, 2004, 06:50
Re: An official statement Feb 9, 2004, 06:50
Feb 9, 2004, 06:50

"and the erscheinungstermin is on 25 March is maintained."

Well thank heavens for that...

-- Nothing is black, nor is it white. If you think you've found something that isn't shades of grey, I can recommend a good optometrist. --

Re: An official statement
Feb 5, 2004, 09:39
Re: An official statement Feb 5, 2004, 09:39
Feb 5, 2004, 09:39

Server seems a little slow, so I will post it here. It's Bablefish so it sounds like Yoda talk, but seems pretty clear nothing happened at all.

"Crytek: Work on far Cry continues unhindered 05.02.2004 - 12:44 o'clock - (mcv) in an official statement on the police investigation of the office space of Crytek on Wednesday of yesterday the Coburger stresses studio that the development of far Cry (Abb.) not impaired and the erscheinungstermin is on 25 March is maintained. The work would have been only interrupted for three hours, while the police clarified the affair with the Crytek management. The action was the basis an announcement of a former trainee, who stated, Crytek would have from a software more installations accomplished than licenses present were. For the attention of the police the management understanding shows. "as software developers Crytek is always interested to acquire and use program products of third parties rightfully", so the wording in the statement. "against the statements, Crytek would like to get of various media and forums straight hereby that neither persons were arrested or articles were konfisziert."

An official statement
Feb 5, 2004, 09:38
An official statement Feb 5, 2004, 09:38
Feb 5, 2004, 09:38

Re: how stupid..
Feb 5, 2004, 06:00
Re: how stupid.. Feb 5, 2004, 06:00
Feb 5, 2004, 06:00

In Germany, the laws work a bit differently, in that they are actually adhered to

lol...what a concept, eh?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: who where and the what now?
Feb 5, 2004, 04:42
Re: who where and the what now? Feb 5, 2004, 04:42
Feb 5, 2004, 04:42

What about "loser hand held game designer just married for the fourth time to a 18-year old romanian girl who he's been hitting on since she was 15 and he's twice her age Romero?"

I dunno if I see to be the only one that caught this tidbit, since I didn't see it posted here, but Romero just went to Romania to marry this girl he's been internet dating. Pretty sad stuff.

you forgot to mention that she bares a disturbing resemblance to John Carmack.

Feb 5, 2004, 02:40
Re: who where and the what now? Feb 5, 2004, 02:40
Feb 5, 2004, 02:40

Urm, dont know whether you played the demo or not, but that dense foliage you speak of was all fakery - you could walk right through it. Therefore any impression of stealth is bs.

The impression of stealth comes from not being able to see or hear your opponent. The foliage cannot be seen through, and like every other game, you make less noise when moving slowly. So whether you can walk right through the fake brush or not seems irrelevant to me.

I didn't particlarly enjoy the demo, but the 1 thing that did impress me was the foliage and the potential to use it for ambushes/stealth approaches.

No subject
Feb 5, 2004, 01:49
No subject Feb 5, 2004, 01:49
Feb 5, 2004, 01:49

Blue plz change that.

Babel Fish should be called Blabble Fish
Feb 5, 2004, 01:47
Babel Fish should be called Blabble Fish Feb 5, 2004, 01:47
Feb 5, 2004, 01:47

Wow. Babel fish doeth suck.

For those not of the German speaking persuasion:

"According to the initial police reports, Crytek was using illegal copies of software in the production of their game; the value of the software was estimated in the six-figure range (Euros). The evidence appeared solid. Law Enforcement officials were tipped off by a former employee of Crytek."

More reports on ShackNews indicate that the charges are unfounded, and were the result of a report filed by an intern that left under "less than agreeable circumstances."

CryTek indicated that the FarCry team was back at it on Wednesday, and that the March release date should not be affected.

Crytek also indicated that the "raid" was more of a "visit of inquiry" to see if there was any truth to the allegations. No arrests were made, and no equipment was confiscated.

^D^

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 02:01.

Feb 4, 2004, 23:22
Re: how stupid.. Feb 4, 2004, 23:22
Feb 4, 2004, 23:22

They have gay hookers in Rio?

You bet your ASS they do.

Feb 4, 2004, 20:58
Re: who where and the what now? Feb 4, 2004, 20:58
Feb 4, 2004, 20:58

you could walk right through it

Would you rather have stone foliage... Last I checked I could smash through a bush and stomp on tall grass.

I would rather be able to walk through the foliage and use my imagination [remember that thing in your head where the creativity comes from?] as to how the character was pushing aside/stomping/cutting, than to just be completely blocked by it and have to weave strange patterns throughout the area. Please don't respond to this with "They could have it be pushed aside / you should be able to cut it" because the former is a bit too far off in the future and the latter would be cool for a few minutes but then it would be an annoyance.

Feb 4, 2004, 20:25
cia
Re: how stupid.. Feb 4, 2004, 20:25
Feb 4, 2004, 20:25
cia

What a crock of shit! Six figures being thrown around at the drop of a hat, what could be more farcical than that!

Sounds like the Sun estimates for the supposed damage Mitnick caused back in the day... of course, the same instant judgement and police action are not available to stop REAL corporate corruption, just this petty stuff.

Feb 4, 2004, 20:01
Re: how stupid.. Feb 4, 2004, 20:01
Feb 4, 2004, 20:01

"My first experience with 3D was in a bar in Rio"

They have gay hookers in Rio?

Feb 4, 2004, 19:40
B M
Re: how stupid.. Feb 4, 2004, 19:40
Feb 4, 2004, 19:40
B M

My first experience with 3D was in a bar in Rio--Things got messy and now I have to take a pill every month otherwise my face breaks out with crap.

Feb 4, 2004, 19:37
Re: who where and the what now? Feb 4, 2004, 19:37
Feb 4, 2004, 19:37

" Re: who where and the what now? Feb 4, 14:05 DirkDaring

Far Cry isn't just about the graphics. The dense plantlife and (relatively) open environments allow for stealth in broad daylight. Its novel even if its not deep, I had fun with this demo."

Urm, dont know whether you played the demo or not, but that dense foliage you speak of was all fakery - you could walk right through it. Therefore any impression of stealth is bs.

Re: Original
Feb 4, 2004, 19:31
Re: Original Feb 4, 2004, 19:31
Feb 4, 2004, 19:31

So what if it gets delayed, the demo sucked, so the full game is going to be average at best.

Feb 4, 2004, 19:29
Re: how stupid.. Feb 4, 2004, 19:29
Feb 4, 2004, 19:29

BS. My first experience with 3D was with a perfectly legal copy of Imagine 2.0 of an Amiga Format coverdisc.

my 3rd eye is still working
Feb 4, 2004, 19:13
my 3rd eye is still working Feb 4, 2004, 19:13
Feb 4, 2004, 19:13

for some reason, I knew this would have no effect whatsoever...

its just one of those things where you say "W T F????" Im sorry but a cutting edge developer supposedly poised on the edge of gaming greatness doesnt risk stupid small shit like using pirated software or having no network security (wait a second...)

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Feb 4, 2004, 18:48
Re: how stupid.. Feb 4, 2004, 18:48
Feb 4, 2004, 18:48

The question is, can they now sue the ex employee for breaking a nda contract when he left

Not in Germany they can't. Over here in the USA, someone can rat on a company for doing something illegal, and get fired for it, despite laws saying that's not possible and every senator and congressman getting his tits all worked up over it. Example, the woman who ratted on Enron and lost her job, and Ms Rowley, who ratted on the FBI and lost her job.

In Germany, the laws work a bit differently, in that they are actually adhered to. So, this guy could not be sued for reporting a crime. In fact, every person in that company had a legal OBLIGATION to report this crime.

Edited some stuff out since I read the post from Matthias below.

Creston

Edit : The babelfish translation, as usual, sucks sweaty balls. The sentence doesn't say "evidence was being placed already surely", it says that police is currently in the process of gathering evidence. Ie, taking computers away and checking the software on it against any licenses.

Babelfish makes it sound like it was some kind of conspiracy setup job, when the original article makes no mention of anything like that.

Let's see if I can throw in a small translation for you non German speaking peeps. It basically said that some cops investigated their offices plus the home of their CEO, that preliminary reports indicate that they used illegal software, police is still gathering evidence and they were alerted to the fact by a FORMER Crytek employee. The word disgruntled is nowhere to be found in the article. (But maybe babelfish was thrown off by the spelling error in ehemaligen, which I think should be ehrmaligen?)
Ubisoft and Crytek so far have no comment, and it's unknown whether the raid will have any effect on the development schedule of Farcry.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 19:06.

Re: Anyone remember...
Feb 4, 2004, 18:38
Re: Anyone remember... Feb 4, 2004, 18:38
Feb 4, 2004, 18:38

Furious,

Don't you know that an Ad Hominem is the first tool necessary for posting on any message board?

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older