Third-Person Thief III

The Game That Pioneered Stealth in Gaming Reemerges in Eidos and Ion Storm's Thief: Deadly Shadows is the press release announcing the addition of a third-person perspective option in the upcoming installment in the stealthy Thief series. The announcement is accompanied by a few screenshots showing off the new point of view. Here's a bit:
In Thief: Deadly Shadows, gamers will be able to play in either third person or first person perspectives, and shift seamlessly between each on the fly. The new third person perspective will further immerse players into the role of Garret [sic] -- the master Thief. Sneaking through darkly lit environments, stealing riches and ambushing unwary targets in third person presents a new, visceral gaming experience to the Thief franchise. Still, the tension fuelled gameplay in classic Thief first person view is there for returning fans of the series and newcomers alike. Ion Storm's trademark dynamic lighting and shadow technology manifests in Thief: Deadly Shadows new levels of depth and tension to the game's environments. Characters and objects cast real shadows that effect stealth gameplay, requiring the player to manipulate darkness and light to create your own shadows to hide in.
View : : :
128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: xbox crap
Jan 23, 2004, 04:23
Re: xbox crap Jan 23, 2004, 04:23
Jan 23, 2004, 04:23

Bah, I've stopped worrying bout this bullshit some time ago, the game sux dont buy it, wanna try it pirate it, support developers you like and that's it!

As the population get dumber the console games will be more wide spread, but there will always be new/good dev's for PC as of now it's mostly eastern europe, the fat retards over at states prefer easy bucks.

Make this wonderful, and I'll forgive.
Jan 23, 2004, 03:22
Make this wonderful, and I'll forgive. Jan 23, 2004, 03:22
Jan 23, 2004, 03:22

Boy, I have wanted this game since the credits rolled at the end of Thief II. I am now, however, scared to death that this game will turn out to be another DX:IW, love it or hate it, I don’t think anyone will deny that game was not what it should have been. Thief II was one of the few games I played through more then once, I remember I would get so disconnected from reality that even though I knew I was looking at a computer monitor, I would try to peer around the edges to try and see around the corners in the game. When I thought I got all the undead thingies, but missed one and have it sneak up on me, holy moly did that scare the bejeezues out of me. The style, mood, and Garrett’s character are wonderful and work perfectly. Now, with Thief 3 so close I’m gun-shy, maybe if it sucks they will not release it, and tell us how much it would rule it they could finish it, and I would dream about how cool it would be. I think putting it on consoles is a fine idea, but don’t forget what crowd made Thief a household name, if we get it later, fine just make it work on the PC. I own a Gamecube and a hot rod PC, I don’t expect or want the same thing from each, remember that and don’t cut corners Ion Storm.

O, yeah I loved playing a 2 yr old console game that made my $3,500, top of the line, I-don't-have-a-girlfriend PC almost melt.
--Zepher (referencing Halo)

Re: No Romero
Jan 23, 2004, 03:17
Re: No Romero Jan 23, 2004, 03:17
Jan 23, 2004, 03:17

The problem with IW was not the simultaneous Xbox development, but that not enough time was spent on PC optimisations. Even the problem of tiny levels was supposed to be fixed, to an extent. They were planning to join maps together on PC so there would be fewer transitions, but obviously ran out of time leading up to Christmas. Hopefully they take the time to tweak Thief 3 properly.

That said, how can Thief 3 really be 'consolised'? Have you played the first two Thief games recently? I'd swear they were designed for console! I'm playing Thief 1 again right now, and everything from the save slots to the inventory screams 'CONSOLE!' Funny how people didn't mind back then.

Thief's game systems are very simplistic, and I don't think Thief 3's console development will have much of an effect on the plan.

Sacrificial lambs...
Jan 23, 2004, 03:01
Sacrificial lambs... Jan 23, 2004, 03:01
Jan 23, 2004, 03:01

...perhaps the publishers will realize that not *all* games mainstreamed and ported to a console work as intended.

No Romero
Jan 23, 2004, 02:50
No Romero Jan 23, 2004, 02:50
Jan 23, 2004, 02:50

hehe... here is the problem with Deus Ex IW:

They tried to squeeze too much technology (dynamic lighting, new AI, new sound system, etc) into the game.

They have learned good lessons and we won't see this stuff happen in Thief 3.

Well my theory...
Jan 23, 2004, 01:41
Well my theory... Jan 23, 2004, 01:41
Jan 23, 2004, 01:41

is they brought Romero back to Ion Storm. It really showed up in DX:IW. I have a bad, bad, bad feeling that this one is going to suck so badly that were going to hope that Garret dies in the end so he won't have to suffer the painful humiliation of another sequal.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

No subject
Jan 23, 2004, 01:14
PHJF

No subject Jan 23, 2004, 01:14
Jan 23, 2004, 01:14
 PHJF

heh, heh.... Anachronox...
SLY BOOTS!!

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Re: No subject
Jan 23, 2004, 01:13
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2004, 01:13
Jan 23, 2004, 01:13

I must say, all this talk of Thief has given me an urge to go back and play the first 2

Hell yeah! I still get goosebumps whenever I play the two Cathedral levels. So scary :O

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

Ummm...
Jan 23, 2004, 01:06
Ummm... Jan 23, 2004, 01:06
Jan 23, 2004, 01:06

What is Garrett doing holding a little mace/club thing in the second shot? Perhaps it is a replacement for the blackjack? It doesn't strike me as a very stealthy type of weapon...

Re: Thief 3 may be good
Jan 23, 2004, 00:32
Re: Thief 3 may be good Jan 23, 2004, 00:32
Jan 23, 2004, 00:32

a poisoned dagger would be nice though. cut a guard then fade into the shadows and listen to him die. Or start hallucinating.

Thief 3 will be good
Jan 23, 2004, 00:23
Thief 3 will be good Jan 23, 2004, 00:23
Jan 23, 2004, 00:23

I am very hopeful - Warren Spector IS a great designer, and I think for whatever reason he got pulled away from the core decisions in DX IW. Eidos probably had him flying all over or doing other things...

The team there surely learned a lot from DX IW, and we will see vast improvements in Thief 3. Warren is too sharp of a guy to allow mistakes to creep into another product.

No subject
Jan 23, 2004, 00:20
No subject Jan 23, 2004, 00:20
Jan 23, 2004, 00:20

Gotta love those low-res textures....

I hope there is a First person option and the controls aren't dumbed down like DX2. DX2 was such a disappointment. Not bad, but not great and my expectations were way to high.

Edit: 512x512 is so yesterday
This comment was edited on Jan 23, 00:20.

Thief
Jan 23, 2004, 00:19
Thief Jan 23, 2004, 00:19
Jan 23, 2004, 00:19

Anyone notice the dagger in Garretts hand? I hope thay dont make it more combat oriented.

No subject
Jan 23, 2004, 00:18
No subject Jan 23, 2004, 00:18
Jan 23, 2004, 00:18

I must say, all this talk of Thief has given me an urge to go back and play the first 2.

Goes and installs

Re: Acleacius
Jan 23, 2004, 00:14
Re: Acleacius Jan 23, 2004, 00:14
Jan 23, 2004, 00:14

Name 1 IONSTORM game that was good. Anyone? Anyone at all…

Ion Storm made 2 games that were very good, actually. Deus Ex and Anachronox.

~Steve

Re: No subject
Jan 23, 2004, 00:01
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2004, 00:01
Jan 23, 2004, 00:01

Are you not aware that the piracy is 10 times worst with Xbox, people hack the bios, which enables them to duplicate xbox games and dvd's.

Hrm... well to start off my counterargument, I'll point you to this thread, meantioned by Max just a few entries down.
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=78385
At the bottom of the post, the author mentions that a developer specifically told him they were switching to the xbox because of money.

That said, money does not imply piracy. So I'll suplement a bit...

I have never owned a console, thou I know people whom own them and its far worst than pc cause its CHEAPER.

Cost and requirements for console piracy: mod chip, knowledge and ability to sodder a mod chip into the console, bios tweak, knowlege and skill to mod the bios, (or replace all of the above with, purchasing a fairly expensive premodded xbox) dvd-r, download image file (or pay some money to rent it), knowledge of how to burn it. Done.

Cost and requirements for pc piracy: download image file, cd-r(s), knowledge of how to burn or mount it. Done.

Simply put, PC piracy is easier, and cheaper than console piracy.

Additional arguments:
Last time I checked, there was about 1 page of xbox images on SuprNova. There are currently about 7 pages of pc images (90% illegal).

Direct connect search for "Prince of Persia", results in 4 xbox cd images and 140 pc images (half the pc images as the game spans 2 cds for 70 total copies).

Finally, from my experiences with other gamers, while most PC users are capable of copying a game, hardly any console gamers are able or willing to attempt to mod their box.

In short, as I said earlier: More piracy of PC games -> Less profit on PC games -> Crappier PC games, more console games...

Re: I don't know....
Jan 22, 2004, 23:54
Re: I don't know.... Jan 22, 2004, 23:54
Jan 22, 2004, 23:54

That is so not what Garrett looks like.

While agree with you that that doesn't fit the mental image of Garrett it does look like a higher poly version of the Garrett model from Thief 2. Don't believe? Toss a scout orb a few feet in front of you and then turn it to look at Garrett.

Re: High-Res Images
Jan 22, 2004, 23:52
Re: High-Res Images Jan 22, 2004, 23:52
Jan 22, 2004, 23:52

If you look at this one long enough you can almost taste the suck

Odd that you complain about that shot now, since it's been out since last May.

Re: The poison pill...
Jan 22, 2004, 23:47
Re: The poison pill... Jan 22, 2004, 23:47
Jan 22, 2004, 23:47

But if the AI isn't *drastically* improved from Invisible War, I think I will stay far, far away from this one...

The noncombat AI wasn't actually that bad, fairly good even. It was the combat AI that sucked ass. Since the only real combat instructions that are needed in a Thief game are "Run to Garret, Swing Sword" I'm not too concerned about the AI. While the 3rd person perspective is a bit disconcerting given Thiefs roots, it seems to me like it would take hardly anytime to implement and would likely increase the appeal of the game to those whose only experiece with stealth games is Splinter Cell. As long as it's optional, it doesn't bother me too much.

Re: Acleacius
Jan 22, 2004, 23:41
Re: Acleacius Jan 22, 2004, 23:41
Jan 22, 2004, 23:41

I don’t think that this has anything at all to do with piracy. I think it has everything to do with a shit company that is moving product for a profit. Name 1 IONSTORM game that was good. Anyone? Anyone at all…

Back to piracy: yes there are people who don’t pay for software. But it isn’t as bad as you portray or as bad as companies would like for you to believe. It’s just like counterfeiting is mentioned a lot when you research old coins, but I’ve been buying coins for a long time now & I’ve seen just one item that caused me alarm. It’s just like the music publishing companies preventing us from using peer-to-peer to distribute our music together. They stated that they suffered huge losses due to people not buying their music. But the truth of the matter was that most people, myself included, would never have purchased most of the crap they downloaded in the first place. The truth of the matter is that the music industry is making more money than it ever has & that will only increase as population continues to increase. For my own part, I do not purchase illegal software. I do not go to warez sites. But I do buy used games. So to the gaming companies, I’m just like a pirate. That is to say, I’m not giving them a profit. The reason I buy used is because of this exact issue we now face. I want to play Thief & I want to like it, but I fear that it will suck, so I’m going to buy it used after the hype has calmed down, probably a couple months after the idiots who buy it new find out it is trash & put it on ebay at less than ½ price. The only time I don’t buy new is for games like HL2 & Doom3. Otherwise, I can definitely wait, and I won’t be paying the gaming company any profit at all and the publisher will get absolutely nothing. So to them, I’m as bad as a pirate because they don’t hate people for stealing a game, they hate people for not buying retail.

128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older