Out of the Blue

I crapped out early last night... my stomach was bothering me a bit and I did one of those lay down time-warp dealies where I didn't plan on napping and awoke in the middle of the night. Of course at that point I was a bit hungry, but it didn't seem like a good follow-up to indigestion to have a midnight snack. Anyway, I feel 100% better now... maybe it's time for a breakfast burrito.. Is there any food phrase that screams belly-bomb any louder that? Maybe breakfast chili (mmmm - breakfast chili).

Play Time: DeKrim UK offers the chance to live a life of crime online.
Links of the Day: Musicplasma: the music visual search engine.
Nokia's chocolate box.
Stories of the Day: Family at a loss over pet dog. Thanks TomB. I'd steal it back, myself.
Army tries to save beer.
Images of the Day: Europe's eye on Mars first spectacular results from Mars Express.
UserFriendly. Thanks Ant.
Media of the Day: Shatner's Triumphant Return.
Follow-ups: Rocky task for Mars rover.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: stupid ad
Jan 22, 2004, 10:09
nin

Re: stupid ad Jan 22, 2004, 10:09
Jan 22, 2004, 10:09
 nin

I believe today (Thursday) is Tony!!!'s birthday!!! As I believe suggested by enahs, all comments should end with "!!!" !!!

Happy Birthday Tony!!! !!!

That is all!!!

http://www.neworderonline.com/

Re: stupid ad
Jan 22, 2004, 01:31
Re: stupid ad Jan 22, 2004, 01:31
Jan 22, 2004, 01:31

enahs, are we still on for valentine's day?

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan
ExcessDan

Mars Express.
Jan 22, 2004, 00:49
Mars Express. Jan 22, 2004, 00:49
Jan 22, 2004, 00:49

Look that site guys. it worth it.

this is hi-res pics,really nice.

i would love to own the digital camera they had when they took those pics.

Who ever told you life was fair ?
(grab the ak & spray)

Life is a gamble play it hard :p
Who ever told you life was fair ?

Life is a gamble play it hard :p

stupid ad
Jan 21, 2004, 23:46
Enahs

stupid ad Jan 21, 2004, 23:46
Jan 21, 2004, 23:46
 Enahs

Ok, I keep seeing this damn ad here IE skins…that is fine, customize all you want.
But do you really want your web-browser to have a picture of Jesus in it?

Also, While I am in this bitchy ass mood.
Sometimes roommates can be cool, and can spice up your life, and stuff.

BUT GOD DAMN IT TO ALL HELL, I HATE EVERYBODY RIGHT NOW, ESPICALLY YOU

Thank you and drive through for your total please

_____
Enahs
http://www.petitiononline.com/Grammar/
You are not signing this post, shut up about my grammar you can at least read this without straining your eyes, go proof read your mother!
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Re: Bella goes home
Jan 21, 2004, 22:51
Re: Bella goes home Jan 21, 2004, 22:51
Jan 21, 2004, 22:51

to nin:
Ah extenuating circumstances. In that case I think you are definitely choosing the least smelly of two evils.

As far as the whole dissemination of information thing goes, I'm kind of hoping this will reduce the pesky problem of genocide that keeps popping up. I'm sure some incidents have occured since the rise of the internet, but hopefully that was before people learn how to harness the power of it for more than just sending me lots of email about how to get a bigger weiner.

edit: plural of email=email.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 22:54.

Bella goes home
Jan 21, 2004, 21:59
Bella goes home Jan 21, 2004, 21:59
Jan 21, 2004, 21:59

Looks like the Mercury News' most recent story with the "Bella" search reveals the end to the story.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/7764554.htm

I am amazed at the culture change over the past 10 years and how the internet has enabled the dissemination of information to the point where you can get people whipped up into a frenzy about just about anything and hence get almost anything you want badly enough done.

And what do you want to bet that that dog has a collar now?

Nice to have a happy ending. We'll see the owners on David Letterman or Dr. Phil pretty soon, I bet. And it'll make a Law and Order episode within 4 weeks: "RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES..."

Re: Wait a sec nin
Jan 21, 2004, 21:54
nin

Re: Wait a sec nin Jan 21, 2004, 21:54
Jan 21, 2004, 21:54
 nin

You would do anything to keep your pets well and happy, and yet one of your cats weighs 16 pounds? Sounds like you are leaning a little too far towards the happy side.

One of the cats has to eat a special kind of food, so as a result, they all eat it. The side effect is, it tends to fatten them up over time... it's either that, or the cat gets a urinary tract infection every few months and pees EVERYWHERE. Your choice...me, I'll stick with the overweight cat.

ID jsut like to say...
Jan 21, 2004, 21:50
ID jsut like to say... Jan 21, 2004, 21:50
Jan 21, 2004, 21:50

...w00t.

Argh
Jan 21, 2004, 20:39
Argh Jan 21, 2004, 20:39
Jan 21, 2004, 20:39

If there's anything good in the world, that dog will run away and find its way back home.

Anybody who couldn't empathize with the lady who really owns the dog and give it back shouldn't be allowed to have one themselves. We had a dog when I was younger that we got in a situation like this, only we had him for 3 months... his owner showed up at our door with her daughter to sell girl scout cookies and they recognized him and he recognized them, too.
I was 8 at the time, and I can say now that I learned a lot from that dog. It sucked to give him up. This kids parents should take a shot at teaching their kid to do the right thing instead of keeping the dog when they know it's not theirs.

Wait a sec nin
Jan 21, 2004, 20:34
Wait a sec nin Jan 21, 2004, 20:34
Jan 21, 2004, 20:34

You would do anything to keep your pets well and happy, and yet one of your cats weighs 16 pounds? Sounds like you are leaning a little too far towards the happy side.

breakfast?
Jan 21, 2004, 19:04
breakfast? Jan 21, 2004, 19:04
Jan 21, 2004, 19:04

well there's always Lister off the UK tv sitcom Red Dwarf, who drinks milkshake for breakfast. Beer milkshake.

Re: Mmm beer...
Jan 21, 2004, 18:39
Re: Mmm beer... Jan 21, 2004, 18:39
Jan 21, 2004, 18:39

I live in San Jose (one town over anyway) so this story has been all over the news and the radio. It's been on the front page of the Mercury twice in fact. As a dog owner myself I'd hunt down the new owner and start leaving burning bags of shit on their doorstep, calling in the middle of the night and blasting an air horn into the receiver and generally making there life hell for as long as they kept my dog. I'd be miserable as hell with out my dog so I'd be sure to make them feel as miserable as I would.

Jan 21, 2004, 16:54
Bronco

Re: Mmm beer... Jan 21, 2004, 16:54
Jan 21, 2004, 16:54
 Bronco

WELL!

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/7759717.htm

From the article:

You probably haven't seen the grown-up movie, ``House of Sand and Fog,'' with Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connelly. The story is very much like the fight over Bella.

An Iranian ex-colonel, played by Kingsley, buys a house at a rock-bottom price after its owner gets into tax problems. He hopes to fix it up and redeem himself as a breadwinner in his family's eyes. It ends tragically for him and his family.

He follows this up with:

Nothing like that will happen to you.

I'm sure that is a comfort for her after the authors quick lesson in karma.

Nice thing to be saying to a 10YO girl. It's not her fault her parents are jerks.

If I were the people that possesed the dog now I would return the dog if the money I invested in its care was refunded to me.

One thing the original article mentioned was that the pound spayed her. That stinks if they were planning on breeding her at some point in the future.

I've owned several dogs and never had one run away on me. Maybe it was the breed we stuck to that made them less likely to run.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
-TPFKAS2S

Jan 21, 2004, 16:29
nin

Re: Mmm beer... Jan 21, 2004, 16:29
Jan 21, 2004, 16:29
 nin

Jan 21, 2004, 16:11
Re: Mmm beer... Jan 21, 2004, 16:11
Jan 21, 2004, 16:11

Sounds like my sister and her husband. For some reason, god knows why, they decided to get a chihuahua. The first mistake they made was getting a three year old dog, that wasn't previously trained. Then they did absolutely nothing to enforce any training. The little glorified rat stays cooped up in their back room where it shits all over the place and scratches up the walls and wood. The thing is, it wants to go outside to do it's thing, they just never let it out. It will scratch at the door and they'll say, "You have to wait to go out boy!" Some people should just not be allowed to own pets. Or they should stick to pets that are low maintenance, like my red tail boa. Now there's the perfect pet! He doesn't make noise, he's easy to clean, give it a rat once a month and change the water every week.

Jan 21, 2004, 16:05
Re: Mmm beer... Jan 21, 2004, 16:05
Jan 21, 2004, 16:05

oh no nin is a crazy cat lady!!

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan
ExcessDan

Shatner Ad
Jan 21, 2004, 16:02
Shatner Ad Jan 21, 2004, 16:02

LOL! I missed that one earlier. Good stuff.

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- W. Somerset Maugham
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

nin

Re: Mmm beer... Jan 21, 2004, 16:02
 nin

Your parents could obviously use some books on their dog, but if they're not willing to make changes (or care), it's a lost cause...

Some people just don't look after their pets...it's sad, but it's true. For some people a "pet" is something they check on once a day. But for others, they're a member of the family. My cats are my kids, and I'd do anything to keep them well and happy. (My 16 pound siamese insisted I carry her around on my shoulder like a parrot this AM, while I was trying to get ready for work...)

Jan 21, 2004, 15:44
Re: Mmm beer... Jan 21, 2004, 15:44
Jan 21, 2004, 15:44

Maybe you guys here could teach my parents a thing or two about pet ownership. They're the most irresponsible pet owners I've ever seen.

One day out of the blue 2 years ago they decided they wanted a dog, so the next day they pick one up and bring him home, a golden retriever/german shepard. Now they've never owned a dog before or bothered to do ANY research on how to take care of one beforehand so they just kind of let him be, not bothering to train him or anything. They don't ever take him for walks... ever.

Now he just kind of runs around being stupid, shitting all over the floor, jumping on guests (and of course getting treats for doing so), barking all the time, snapping and biting at anyone who gets near his bone or food, snatching food from peoples hands, and so on. If you refuse to share your food with him he barks and growls at you. He's never been to a vet since the day he was brought home, despite the fact that he spends 90% of his time scratching and biting the fur off himself, and has some nasty scabs. His nails haven't been trimmed either in 2 years, so you can imagine what he does to the hardwood floor. Oh and he hasn't had a bath in... maybe a month now.

I've offered to train him for them but they've always declined. They seem to think they do a pretty good job of taking care of him. Well it's not my dog, but I have to live with it so it's kind of frustrating. Thanks for listening to my story

They have about 7 cats too, some of which look like they're on the brink of death but of course not once have they been to a vet.

Jan 21, 2004, 14:33
Re: Mmm beer... Jan 21, 2004, 14:33
Jan 21, 2004, 14:33

Seriously, the whole tracking thing spooks me too, I don't want one of those newfangled GPS cell phones

Then you're best off not carrying a cell phone or pager at all. It's fairly trivial to triangulate location based purely on signal strength. Good enough to get down to a few hundred feet at least.

Depending on your carrier you have no choice as far as GPS goes either -- if the carrier is doing E911 service via GPS (instead of triangulation) then all of their new phones will have GPS in them (actually, partial GPS -- the phone generally gets the GPS signal and lets the cell towers do the real work of figuring out location... so you cannot realistically use your cell phone as a GPS receiver). You can usually turn it off, but then E911 will be of little use as well.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older