Federal GTA Lawsuit

Suit seeks to ban sales of popular video game (thanks Mike Martinez): "A lawsuit by Haitian groups that asks for the top-selling video game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City' to be removed from store shelves will be decided in federal court. " Also, Give Back Take Two (thanks Hump and Steve Nutley) has complaints from The New York Post about GTA, apparently making the case for how depicting violence in a game is worse than molestation: "This is 10,000 times worse than the worst thing anybody thinks Michael Jackson ever did to a little boy."
View : : :
162 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jan 1, 2004, 20:01
Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 20:01
Jan 1, 2004, 20:01

Wow, Genocide legal? I am sure if there were Native laws, massacring millions of them for ptofit and conquest, would be illegal. Minded their own business? You just said your great grandfather owned slaves, BUT HEY, WHAT CAN YOU DO? Decry him as a slave owning, genocide conducting piece of human shit, and admit you and your family stole what you call YOUR country from the natives. Minding your own business does not include the ownership of slvaes, nor usurping a land, it's resources and then claiming it your own. A good amount of Haitians came to America just as legally as you and your family did. People who believe that just because their ancestors laid claim to land, that they have some current right to own/lord over it? Why don't you claim servitude to the natives then ? According to your stupid logic, they own this land, and you should be their serf.
I dont mean to say I agree with this lawsuit, in fact quite the contrary, but a stupid lawsuit sure as hell does not entitle a white immigrant - which is what you are - to claim superiority over any other immigrant in your country. If you lived in Haiti, or have seen or read about what your "Mind your own business" countrymen did to that nation, I am confident your attitude would be a little more friendly to the Haitians. Dumbass

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

Jan 1, 2004, 19:36
WarPig

Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 19:36
Jan 1, 2004, 19:36
 WarPig

While I dislike our adminstration, I'll agree with you. FYI, Lieberman is a big voice behind banning games right now, and guess what? He's a Democrat.

That's right. Remember why we all knew Tipper Gore's name before we ever heard of her internet inventing husband? Answer: she had similar ideas about song lyrics and took the whole thing a lot farther than this will ever get (Zappa was brilliant, btw).

Anyway, she's not a Republican either. What she is though is a so called Christian who thinks it's the government's duty to push her idea of morals as law on the rest of us. IMHO the terms Republican, Democrat, Christian, Jew, or Muslim are interchangeable in this type of situation, a term like "judgmental moralist" would be more fitting.

And yes I know that people like this are more likely to be from the Republican "religious right", but watch out, the "judgmental moralists" (or judgemo's ;)) can come from anywhere.

-----------------------------------------
Please move along people. Nothing to see here.

No subject
Jan 1, 2004, 19:33
No subject Jan 1, 2004, 19:33
Jan 1, 2004, 19:33

Mine did it legally. Further, they minded their own business and were largely successful with each generation. Sadly my great grandfather owned slaves, but hey, what can ya do? These haitians are playing by new rules and really trying to get around them.

http://www.memenest.com

Re: My letter
Jan 1, 2004, 19:31
Re: My letter Jan 1, 2004, 19:31
Jan 1, 2004, 19:31

It's actually trivial to enforce. There's these things called "parents",
maybe you've heard of them? They're supposed to do things like teach and
supervise their children. Yes, they're mythical beasts, but somebody should
be able to find them.

Well said, Rob.

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones
This comment was edited on Jan 1, 19:31.
--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

Jan 1, 2004, 19:28
Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 19:28
Jan 1, 2004, 19:28

AthlonSeven, I'm not entirely sure I get the point you're trying to make, but may I point out that the whole of the US of A is populated by immigrants who buggered off out of their own countries. If your ancestors had the right to just walz in and kill the natives, what makes you say that anyone living today doesn't have the same right?

No comment
Jan 1, 2004, 19:27
No comment Jan 1, 2004, 19:27
Jan 1, 2004, 19:27

I was going into a long post about how stupid this is but gave up. Lets file some more productive lawsuits:

File a complaint against the Haitians for wasting taxpayer dollars with this trash.

File a lawsuit against the parents of every child under the age of 18 who plays this game and then goes out and shoots somebody.

File a lawsuit against Wal-Mart for selling an 'M' rated title to under age kids.

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones
--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

My letter
Jan 1, 2004, 19:21
Rob
My letter Jan 1, 2004, 19:21
Jan 1, 2004, 19:21
Rob

Vice City does indeed engender racial stereotypes. Because of it, I think
Haitians are whiny complainers, can't be trusted to raise seamonkies, never
mind children, and think "context" is grafitti in a jail cell. Oh, have I
mentioned that I have yet to play it? This is simply based on their own
actions with the ignorant condemnation of something they know nothing about.

Apparently, this pasttime is something quite enamored of "journalists" as
well.

"People, this is insane. This is 10,000 times worse than the worst thing
anybody thinks Michael Jackson ever did to a little boy". Uh huh. Let me get
this straight - raping someone that can't defend themselves without their
consent is less reprehensible than something someone does in the privacy of
their own home, of their own volition that affects no one else? How can that
even *REMOTELY* be justified?

"FOR one thing, the age cutoff is totally unenforceable, and everyone knows
it". It's actually trivial to enforce. There's these things called "parents",
maybe you've heard of them? They're supposed to do things like teach and
supervise their children. Yes, they're mythical beasts, but somebody should
be able to find them.

"Besides: By what preposterous reasoning can one argue that once someone turns
17 years of age it magically becomes OK to glorify mass murder?" Very good
question. By what magical process does someone become able to responsibly
drink at 21? There's a hell of a lot more people dying by drunk driving than
by playing video games. Let's ban alcohol too... Wait, we already tried that.
I agree that age is a completely bogus measure, but it's something quick and
easy to test. I know 12 year olds that can play GTA just fine, and 50 year
olds I wouldn't trust near Pac-Man, never mind GTA. If you can come up with
an alternate measure of maturity, good luck.

Jan 1, 2004, 19:09
Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 19:09
Jan 1, 2004, 19:09

Sounds like just as much of an extremist dumb-fuck as the article did.

Jan 1, 2004, 19:08
Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 19:08
Jan 1, 2004, 19:08

While I dislike our adminstration, I'll agree with you. FYI, Lieberman is a big voice behind banning games right now, and guess what? He's a Democrat. The crappy NYP article didn't have anything to do with political parties though.

Good comment Terpfen. For those of you disgusted by the Haitian "response". Go post on their guestbook.

:-edit-:

These people think as if they have a God-given right to just waltz into the US. They portray the illegals that hopped off the boat as being heroic. Well, you know what? My ancestors built this country, they were here from the beginning, and it was through dedication and persistence that we are here today. ( to see these people ignoring their own country, and trying to escape instead of build, well, it's nothing short of revolting.\

Here's the ridiculous article.

http://hagcoalition.freehosting.net/custom4.html

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 19:12.

Jan 1, 2004, 19:03
Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 19:03
Jan 1, 2004, 19:03

wtf...worse than molestation...these god damn republicans will be(edit=have been) the downfall of mankind

Am I the ONLY person worried about statements like these?

Wow, Way to Think of the Children!
Jan 1, 2004, 19:02
Wow, Way to Think of the Children! Jan 1, 2004, 19:02
Jan 1, 2004, 19:02

I live in Canada and fail to see how anyone could allow the right wing of the USA run so rampantly out of control. Violence in games hurts children worse than violence in real life? Guess what, you right wing imbecile, NOT ONE VIDEO GAME PLAYER, NO MATTER HOW OLD, EVEN OF THOSE WHO PLAY GRAPHICALLY VIOLENT WAR GAMES HAS EVER, EVER, EVER EVER DEVELOPED "SHELL SHOCK" or "GULF WAR SYNDROME". You can play the gulf war in video games, you can go to Vietnam. Millions of children across the United States will, without a doubt grow up to rape, kill, molest, and beat the god awful shit out of their children, in a United States so poor (due to great Right Wing (TM) "economic revovery plans" and the reinstatement of 'Reaganomics' ) not because of the fun video games they played, or the Haitians they murdered in them (if their kids happen to be Haitian), but because of the beatings they got from their alcoholic parents for wanting to play such games, or read "harmful" books, or listen to harmful music. Does Mr. Byron have that much contempt and mistrust for humans in general that he does not believe kids/people in an environment worth doing well in, and striving to succeed in, will become or moreover act evil just because of a video game? The real harm and evil done in this world, which will and has damaged our children, and children around the world over, for half a century and more, is the harm done by right wing "ALWAYS holier than thou" nutcases. To the 50+ wars since "THE WAR TO END ALL WARS", to the depleted uranium (half-life: 2 billion years), to the upcoming bankruptcy and fall of the United States (guaranteed by ultra militarism, extreme spending related to it, and social services (for pretty much everything including roads, health, education, veterans etc) being drastically cut to make room for such spending), the right wing in your nation has guaranteed it's demise... newborn death rates higher than almost every third world nation, cholera, tuberculosis making comebacks, good job right wing. Keep on protecting those poor poor children.

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

No subject
Jan 1, 2004, 19:00
No subject Jan 1, 2004, 19:00
Jan 1, 2004, 19:00

Hahahaaha! *cough Sorry. Great page design eh? This smacks of wannabe self-importance. I think that this group needs to quit whining, buck up, and simmah down now.

http://hagcoalition.freehosting.net/

Loonyboi's comments...
Jan 1, 2004, 18:56
Loonyboi's comments... Jan 1, 2004, 18:56
Jan 1, 2004, 18:56

You can read Jason's comments at:
http://www.loonyboi.com/blog/archives/000382.php
& his letter at:
http://www.loonyboi.com/blog/archives/000383.php

Don't call me Joe90.
Psst: Dan = Fred/fiddlestix. Pass it on.
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Jan 1, 2004, 18:43
Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 18:43
Jan 1, 2004, 18:43

No strong opinions but...to address Dignan...

>I'm a gamer and I agree with the ban....

fine, but all I can say is... ku...kaw...ku...kaw....

No subject
Jan 1, 2004, 18:37
No subject Jan 1, 2004, 18:37
Jan 1, 2004, 18:37

Why don't these haitians worry about their miserable, completely backward, completely corrupt, completely worthless country before attacking something as mundane and misread as this.

No subject
Jan 1, 2004, 18:33
No subject Jan 1, 2004, 18:33
Jan 1, 2004, 18:33

wtf...worse than molestation...these god damn republicans will be(edit=have been) the downfall of mankind

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com
This comment was edited on Jan 1, 18:38.
Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

My Only Question is...
Jan 1, 2004, 18:32
My Only Question is... Jan 1, 2004, 18:32
Jan 1, 2004, 18:32

Why did it take them a WHOLE Year + to file a lawsuit?
I mean the game first came out on PS2, then PC, now Xbox, and they are just now filing suit?

At this rate there will be anti pagan lawsuits against Doom 3, rougly in 2007 (if the game ships in 2004).

GTA Revolutions....
Jan 1, 2004, 18:17
GTA Revolutions.... Jan 1, 2004, 18:17
Jan 1, 2004, 18:17

"This is about choice, isn't it?"

Jan 1, 2004, 18:13
Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 18:13
Jan 1, 2004, 18:13

I'm kind of curious whether all the people that bash George W. even bothered to vote in the election. Turnout is terrible so there's probably a good chance they didn't. I'm not saying that you didn't vote but if someone didn't even bother to get their lazy fat ass off the couch to vote, they don't have any business criticizing their government.

That's my pointless, off-topic rant, homeboys.

------------
Love,
Mayor Danm{
ExcessDan

No subject
Jan 1, 2004, 18:00
No subject Jan 1, 2004, 18:00
Jan 1, 2004, 18:00

This is classic rightwing conservative propaganda, the same liars whom got gwb jr put in the presidency.
Spelling is off they arent worth looking up, rowe, safiae, alies, media research center, murdock, limbugh, oriely, hanity and foxnews.
Its a shame there are some nice rebublicans but they are so willing to believe/side/sellout to those souless lying bastards.

Edit So your saying the babyboomers are violent cause of bugs bunny and elmer fudd, how ridiculas. Games, books, movies, verbal communication and advertising are expressions of culture.
This comment was edited on Jan 1, 18:04.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.
162 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older