Pirates! Details!

Following up almost immediately on their promise of more details on the project after the holidays (story) this Firaxis Games press release (thanks HomeLAN Fed) offers more on plans for the upcoming remake of Sid Meier's classic Pirates!. Here's the deal on the game, due Q4 2004:
In Pirates! you take the leading role of a Pirate Captain in the 17th century Caribbean amassing fortune and fame in an attempt to seize your rightful place as one of the most revered (and feared!) pirates in history. Test your skills as a sea captain exploring the high seas and exotic ports in a richly detailed 3D world. Overtake the enemy and seize valuable booty. Exchange plank-shattering broadsides in fierce naval battles, and engage in duels with worthy opposing captains.

As your reputation and skills grow, so will the size and quality of your crew, and your ability to take on larger enemy ships, raid and plunder heavily fortified ports, and locate ancient treasure. There’s a whole cast of interesting and dangerous characters to meet, mysteries to solve, exotic island destinations to discover, and powerful alliances to forge!

The new Pirates! carries on with the great gameplay and design simplicity tradition of the award-winning original while adding more challenging and exciting battle options, and deeper and more varied role-playing experience, including multiple paths to a wealthy, happy retirement. This and many other features and additions make this gaming classic one of the most highly anticipated releases of this century!
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Too many embellishments
Dec 30, 2003, 14:26
Re: Too many embellishments Dec 30, 2003, 14:26
Dec 30, 2003, 14:26

Then I seriously suggest you play through it a few more times, since none of the things the way they were described in this press release were ever in the original game. My comments stand.

-----------------------------------------------------

I HAVE played it recently. I play the original version on my C-64 all the time, I have the original manual sitting right next to me.

When you enlist the crew, the option is "Ask them to join your crew." You do talk to them, whether or not you have to type in the words or not.

You do interact with NPCs regularly in the old pirates, and its a logical extension to have the NPCs "talk"... of course I would want to still be able to get what I want done right away, and not have to "find the right words" like when you're talking to people in NOLF.

Whether you call it an alliance or not, some countries like you, some don't, and you fight for some countries at some times and others at other times. Some people might consider those to be alliances!

-------------------------------------------
I don't know how YOU define roleplaying, but that isn't it according to the large majority of people who play games.
--------------------------------------------

You're right about that, especially since I dislike what most people consider "role playing games". You do play the role of a pirate, though, that's enough for me.

Dec 28, 2003, 00:40
Re: Too many embellishments Dec 28, 2003, 00:40
Dec 28, 2003, 00:40

In the original pirates you had to talk to characters to get maps, a crew, find your sister, get a Letter of Marque, divide your plunder, get some beer (and maybe a date)... just about everything involved talking to someone.

Incorrect. The ONLY time you ever talked to a character was to hear about news of a relative who was held in a random city. This relative would then give you a quarter of the map to the 100.000 gold treasure, but if you knew the area well enough, you could actually get this treasure 4 times. Getting a crew involved going into a bar and clicking on the button that said Enlist Crew. A letter of marque involved clicking on the governor's mansion and paying him for the letter of Marque. It actually never really mattered if you had one or not, as long as a country was at war with another, you could plunder enemies' ships unhindered whether you had a letter of Marque or not. Divide your plunder was based on your difficulty level, and never involved any kind of talking whatsoever.

In the original pirates you were always allied with one country and at war with some country or another... you had to be or else you would never have anyplace to dock!

Incorrect. My best games (endscore wise) always came from games where I traded, not from games where I pirated or played the role of a privateer in service of one country or another. While these options always existed, they were never NECESSARY.

There was no role playing in Pirates!? Then why did I always end the game as the governor of some island, a well respected member of my community, with a beautiful wife, vast riches, and a reputation as a daring and dangerous captain?

Because that was a simple result of a formula that decided how well you had done in the game. This formula checked, amongst others, your total amount of gold gathered, personal wealth, difficulty level, how many times you got captured, if you received any wounds or not, whether you found family members or not and several other factors. NONE of these resulted because of "roleplaying", and none of these end results ever changed. The only difference you'd see, say for example in the family rescue screen, was a number. Rescue no family members and it would say "You rescued zero family members."
Rescue all four, and it would say "You rescued four family members."
I don't know how YOU define roleplaying, but that isn't it according to the large majority of people who play games.

I didn't see anything in the press release that wasn't in the original game... except for the "updated gameplay, stunning new features, spectacular 3D graphics and enhanced surround sound."

Then I seriously suggest you play through it a few more times, since none of the things the way they were described in this press release were ever in the original game. My comments stand.

Isn't tropico 2 etc better?

No.

Creston

No subject
Dec 27, 2003, 15:47
No subject Dec 27, 2003, 15:47
Dec 27, 2003, 15:47

Pirates! Gold aint so good nowadays when compared to newer games like tropico 2 and Port Royale is it?

Dec 27, 2003, 10:57
Re: Too many embellishments Dec 27, 2003, 10:57
Dec 27, 2003, 10:57

What's all this roleplaying / NPC talking / alliance forging stuff? Do I have to talk to characters now to get missions and such? Unneeded and unwanted, Firaxis... Obviously I have no idea how they are going to implement this, but the original game doesn't NEED any of it, and from the sound of it, all it's going to do is fuck up the most brilliant free-form open-ended gameplay since Elite.

------------------------------------------------------------

In the original pirates you had to talk to characters to get maps, a crew, find your sister, get a Letter of Marque, divide your plunder, get some beer (and maybe a date)... just about everything involved talking to someone.

In the original pirates you were always allied with one country and at war with some country or another... you had to be or else you would never have anyplace to dock!

There was no role playing in Pirates!? Then why did I always end the game as the governor of some island, a well respected member of my community, with a beautiful wife, vast riches, and a reputation as a daring and dangerous captain?

I didn't see anything in the press release that wasn't in the original game... except for the "updated gameplay, stunning new features, spectacular 3D graphics and enhanced surround sound."

Re: No subject
Dec 27, 2003, 00:59
Re: No subject Dec 27, 2003, 00:59
Dec 27, 2003, 00:59

It wouldn't surprise me if Sid Meier himself is a bit of a control freak (what, with his name beginning each Firaxis release). I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but a lot of his games are mere clones of each other.

Dear Sid,
Dec 27, 2003, 00:57
nin

Dear Sid, Dec 27, 2003, 00:57
Dec 27, 2003, 00:57
 nin

...please don't f$%* us in the ass like Warren and co. did and then deny it later. Thank you.

http://www.tenaciousd.com/

No subject
Dec 27, 2003, 00:46
No subject Dec 27, 2003, 00:46
Dec 27, 2003, 00:46

have they run out of ideas?

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.
Doin' it Big

No subject
Dec 27, 2003, 00:05
No subject Dec 27, 2003, 00:05
Dec 27, 2003, 00:05

Ninjas!

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com
Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

Too many embellishments
Dec 26, 2003, 23:54
Too many embellishments Dec 26, 2003, 23:54
Dec 26, 2003, 23:54

From the looks of it, they are adding way too much crap to the original Pirates! experience.

"Interesting and dangerous characters to meet" my ass, I want the same perfectly balanced open-ended gameplay the original gave me, with a better graphics engine. Nothing more, nothing less. Pirates! was so perfect in the way it let you do what YOU wanted to do. Want to trade some stuff between Tortuga and Curacao? Go right ahead. Be the scourge of the Spanish Silver Train? Go for it. Sack Panama four times in a single decade? Yessir!

What's all this roleplaying / NPC talking / alliance forging stuff? Do I have to talk to characters now to get missions and such? Unneeded and unwanted, Firaxis... Obviously I have no idea how they are going to implement this, but the original game doesn't NEED any of it, and from the sound of it, all it's going to do is fuck up the most brilliant free-form open-ended gameplay since Elite.

Here's hoping I'm just too cynical...

Creston

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 00:02.

No subject
Dec 26, 2003, 18:57
No subject Dec 26, 2003, 18:57
Dec 26, 2003, 18:57

This guys games always gets a TON of hype and ends up on the shelf like all the others after a month or so..

No subject
Dec 26, 2003, 18:48
No subject Dec 26, 2003, 18:48
Dec 26, 2003, 18:48

I'm very excited about this, bring on the screenshots!

http://www.davidcsimon.com

Land combat
Dec 26, 2003, 17:42
indiv

Land combat Dec 26, 2003, 17:42
Dec 26, 2003, 17:42
 indiv

I could never figure out land combat in Pirates! (and Pirates! Gold). My guys would never fire at the enemies and so they'd always get slaughtered, and the manual said that you just have to stop moving the guys and they'd automatically fire. But they never did.

Other than that, Pirates! rocked.

Re: Best RPG of 2004?
Dec 26, 2003, 16:22
Re: Best RPG of 2004? Dec 26, 2003, 16:22
Dec 26, 2003, 16:22

Yaaarrh! Avast ye swabs! Blow me down n' stuff!

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- W. Somerset Maugham
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: Best RPG of 2004?
Dec 26, 2003, 15:37
Re: Best RPG of 2004? Dec 26, 2003, 15:37
Dec 26, 2003, 15:37

Um, ditto. Really, what he said. Including the Win XP thing. (I've tried the obviousl "solutions" off the internet but I still can't get it to run.)(hey, imagine if your 10 year old monopoly board stopped working.!?!.!.)

Best RPG of 2004?
Dec 26, 2003, 14:45
Tei
Best RPG of 2004? Dec 26, 2003, 14:45
Dec 26, 2003, 14:45
Tei

Sid, bring it on. if it plays like the original in 3d, theres no way this title can lose. now I must dig up Pirates! gold & see how to make it run in winxp....

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 14:46.
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older