Unreal II Special Edition Announced - XMP Demo Tomorrow

Atari Announces Unreal II The Awakening - Special Edition is the press release announcing that the upcoming free multiplayer add-on will also be packaged in a new special edition of the game. The release does not specify when the retail edition will become available, but says that free downloads of the XMP portion will be made available for current Unreal II owners when it hits shelves. On a related note, Atari sends news that a demo version of the XMP ("expanded multiplayer") portion that is at the heart of the special edition is going to become available tomorrow. Here's the deal:
XMP IS COMING!

The free downloadable demo of the new multiplayer mode for Unreal® II: The Awakening -- called XMP -- will be made available tomorrow.

The demo will not require the previous installation of the full retail game.

The download will premiere on FilePlanet.com and will be available everywhere immediately thereafter.
View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: U2 XMP
Dec 5, 2003, 15:10
Re: U2 XMP Dec 5, 2003, 15:10
Dec 5, 2003, 15:10

Well, we obviously disagree.

I do think that Deus Ex has problems, but that game is the one I gave credit to for the "ambitious" aspect.

I view Invisible War as being so much worse because of the problems I perceive, I think Deus Ex gave them a groundwork or frame for Invisible War to run with, and a lot of it really comes down to the interface and/or ability to suspend belief. I am very hard on all games for this, but I never felt this way about Deus Ex. Granted, I am hardly the "normal" gamer and I absolutely play/worship/love games like Ultima Underworld, Thief, and System Shock so I ate DE right up.

I think the first game had generally low framerates, but I do think it presented much, much more (nothing like making your way to the top of a structure and having a view that goes on seemingly forever) and I did not have as many things pulling me out of the game or preventing me from getting into it (wildly fluctuating framerate, the non-drag and drop interface, ignoring mouse buttons, etc.)

Obviously, once I am already letdown from what I was looking for DX2 to be and dealing with issues just getting into the game, the other problems just stand out that much more or I am that less likely to forgive them.

If they could make it much more consisent - and this covers everything from framerate to interface to NPC reaction - it definitely would improve things quite a bit.

The game is still good, but very rought, and I do not think it is a true sequel to Deus Ex. As I said, though, we disagree on that last part. I did love the first one, though - my savegame file topped out at sixty-five hours - so there is definitely a part of me that wants to be a fan boi for all things Deus Ex. I just cannot do it for this game, though. :-|

Wishing I could hold more stuff :(,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, let's play nice now.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Dec 5, 2003, 14:50
Re: U2 XMP Dec 5, 2003, 14:50

edit: Double Post sorry
This comment was edited on Dec 5, 14:50.

Re: U2 XMP Dec 5, 2003, 14:50

You raise a number of good points. I still don't think those unpolished aspects of the game destroy the experience. While an extra year of tweaking and fine tuning the experience would eliminate those problems you have to draw the line somewhere. It's not as if the original didn't have similar problems, one might argue it was even worse, but it still didn't stop the game from being a blast. For me at least it's working out the sameway, I find myself increasingly being able to ignore the polish problems and just enjoy the core game.

While this could be construed as making excuses, you have to remember how ambitious this game is. The number of game systems that interact to create the gameplay is quite large. The fact that they were able to tweak these systems to the point that the game is as playable as it is says something. The best example of an emergent game that is unplayable due to a lack of tweaking and testing would probably be Star Wars Galaxies. Invisible War is leagues ahead of Galaxies in terms of playability.

I can't help but think that your looking at Deus Ex 1 through rose-colored glasses. Many of it's gameplay systems were just as unpolished as IW and yet it still want on to greatness. IW isn't as polished as I would have liked but it still plays like Deus Ex, has improvements over Deus Ex and is overall a solid title. Again, I think it is the inflated memory of the original that is causing the Game so much grief, not the game itself.

Dec 5, 2003, 14:39
Re: U2 XMP Dec 5, 2003, 14:39

It's unfortunate that Invisible War was associated with such impossibly high expectations. I think gamers thought it would be the Second Coming or some such and that anything less than Jesus-in-a-Box would be completely unacceptable. I'm actually leaning towards saying that Invisible War is the better game but even still that can't match what some folks thought it would be.

I'd definately recommend picking it up if you at all enjoyed the first DX. Even though the technical issues are still there (these can be fixed by a good patch though) the actual gameplay is excellent.

Something that I find really good about the full version that wasn't at all apparent in the demo was the idea of not knowing who to trust. This appeared three times in DX1: at the 747, with Maggie Chow, and when you picked your endgame at Area 51. In Invisible War this occurs all the time.

Anyway I'm really enjoying Invisible War and find it to be very good sequel to Deus Ex.

Re: U2 XMP Dec 5, 2003, 14:39

I can say that it is an ok/good game by itself, but how can you possibly compare it to the original? They are worlds apart from each other...

It is OK, but even disregarding this whole Deus Ex aspect, the game is very, very rough. Completely broken AI, story elements that hang and make me restart, completely unreaslistic physics, inconsistent physics, forced story, poor dialogue, poor interface, poor performance, etc.

The game is incredibly easy, too. I actually go and open/unlock things that I either don't want or don't need to since I easily, easily hit the multi-tool limit. I long ago hit the maximum amount of health kits and I am going to be a millionaire by the end of the game. Barring any bizarre story changes later in the game, my bio-implant upgrade path has long been set. Sometimes NPCs notice your light, sometimes they don't. You can be told something is too heavy to lift and then accidentally bump it, sending it flying. Likewise, I have had NPCs only flinch from my throwing sizable objects at them and then I had on NPC go postal on me because I bumped a trash container and the "realistic" physics made it lightly touch him, causing him damage. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I could go on and on...

I think the game pales in comparision to Deus Ex - this is no sequel - but it is a decent game. It kind of reminds me of a poor-man's Thief with a sci-fi slant. However, all these technical problems and poor design choices really, really pull me away from kick me out of the game.

Expecting X2: The Threat today :),
Ray

Edit: Code tweak.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, let's play nice now.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Dec 5, 14:40.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Dec 5, 2003, 12:57
Re: U2 XMP Dec 5, 2003, 12:57
Dec 5, 2003, 12:57

Also have you played the full version of Invisible War yet? While the demo's technical problems still remain, and there really is no excuse for that, the core game itself is excellent maybe even better than the original.

I haven't played the full version yet but I will because I actually liked the demo in contrary to many others. I just said that I believe it's bad sequel to Deus Ex even though the demo is fun if you manage to get it running properly.

As others already stated, Ion Storm should have released IW as a game on its own and NOT as the sequel to DE. Same thing for U2. It should have been advertised as a new action game and not a sequel to Unreal, maybe that way it would have gotten better reviews.

Re: Free is good
Dec 5, 2003, 12:31
Re: Free is good Dec 5, 2003, 12:31
Dec 5, 2003, 12:31

I'm sure some people still have U2 installed, but most will have finished it and uninstalled months ago!

Hell, I've still got games installed that I havn't played in over a year!

This space is available for rent

Dec 5, 2003, 12:24
Re: U2 XMP Dec 5, 2003, 12:24
Dec 5, 2003, 12:24

Too bad that I've already banned U2 from my harddisk so I will never try this MP add-on to one of the most disappointing sequels to one of the best original games... same thing for DE2:IW.

Your doing yourself a big disservice by choosing not to download this. Had this been included in the original release I'm willing to be everyone would have overlooked the decidedly average singleplayer campaign.

Also have you played the full version of Invisible War yet? While the demo's technical problems still remain, and there really is no excuse for that, the core game itself is excellent maybe even better than the original.

Re: Unreal II Special Edition
Dec 5, 2003, 12:08
Re: Unreal II Special Edition Dec 5, 2003, 12:08
Dec 5, 2003, 12:08

Its out

Dec 5, 2003, 12:02
nin
Re: Unreal II Special Edition Dec 5, 2003, 12:02
Dec 5, 2003, 12:02
nin

sinner's saint, I swear you're channeling the spirit of Artie Shindelman...

http://www.ash-official.com/

Dec 5, 2003, 11:47
Re: Unreal II Special Edition Dec 5, 2003, 11:47
Dec 5, 2003, 11:47

I walked down to my local bus stop today on my typical route to work. At the stand a man began cohersing me to buy some nude pictures of his wife to help him generate necessary funds to buy his children presents.

Being lulled by the holiday vertigo that surrounds this time of year I obliged. Eager to sneak a peak at his offer, while riding the bus I procured one of the many photos I had bought for two dollars a piece. To my shock his wife was in fact a man who had the hairiest ballsack I have ever seen.

When I read this news article this morning, I exhibited the same reaction that I did to the pictures; I vomited.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 11:48.

Dec 5, 2003, 11:34
Re: Unreal II Special Edition Dec 5, 2003, 11:34
Dec 5, 2003, 11:34

With the huge let down that is Invisible War I'm actually eager to see how this turns out.

Unreal II Special Edition
Dec 5, 2003, 11:03
Unreal II Special Edition Dec 5, 2003, 11:03
Dec 5, 2003, 11:03

My mommy says I'm special.

Re: Free is good
Dec 5, 2003, 10:33
Re: Free is good Dec 5, 2003, 10:33
Dec 5, 2003, 10:33

This must have cost quite a bit of cash for Atari (just in terms of burn for the salaries of the devs involved) Would have been good to maybe have added this to the original budget and have shipped MP the same time as the retail game (or very soon after) rather than what is quite a long delay. I'm sure some people still have U2 installed, but most will have finished it and uninstalled months ago!

I'll give the demo a try as people are saying good things about XMP, but I think it'll have to be pretty darn sweet to convince me to reinstall U2 just to play this.

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Free is good
Dec 5, 2003, 10:20
Free is good Dec 5, 2003, 10:20
Dec 5, 2003, 10:20

I'll try the demo. I'm always willing to try what might be a fun FPS.
I enjoyed the single-player version of this game but felt it was a bit short... inclusion of a multiplayer element would've made the original game feel more complete. Better late than never I suppose.

Re: XMP :}
Dec 5, 2003, 09:49
Re: XMP :} Dec 5, 2003, 09:49
Dec 5, 2003, 09:49

I'm just here to say-- it's a free demo and a free add on to those who bought U2- whether you liked it or not-- and it's really very cool. It's a good thing to keep me busy until ut2k4 is out-- even then it's different enough to be a welcome alternative. Player haters, all
-cc

Re: No subject
Dec 5, 2003, 07:58
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2003, 07:58
Dec 5, 2003, 07:58

The game took some time and effort. It did have good parts. I had fun playing it. It was not inspiring. It was over very fast. The ending was really disappointing. Fire unstoppable weapon 4 times at unstoppable enemies. Ammo, 500 or so rounds of unstoppable ammo.

I still remember the first Unreal. The second one I took off the drive after 2 or 3 months. Went to go look at it again and the CD was bad. Multi CD games mean multi opportunities for trouble. ;(

No subject
Dec 5, 2003, 07:30
PHJF

No subject Dec 5, 2003, 07:30
Dec 5, 2003, 07:30
 PHJF

You people are lame. The singleplayer game was fine, much better than most shooters out there. But I guess it's not *cool* to say that, is it? Better jump the bandwagon and smack Unreal 2.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Teehee
Dec 5, 2003, 06:56
Teehee Dec 5, 2003, 06:56
Dec 5, 2003, 06:56

The download will premiere on FilePlanet.com and will be available everywhere immediately thereafter... through no fault of their own.
This comment was edited on Dec 5, 06:58.

Dec 5, 2003, 06:43
Re: U2 XMP Dec 5, 2003, 06:43
Dec 5, 2003, 06:43

Thats really unfortunate because you'll be missing out on a great multiplayer experience.

I've been in the beta since day 1 and haven't heard a single negative comment from the other testers about XMP that held any weight. While Legend took ideas from several gameplay types they've molded it into something completely new.

your loss.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: CoD, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Firestarter, UT2004 Pondering: Second Life Listening to: Dropkick Murphys
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older