GameSpyGN

IGN and GameSpy Announce Merger Agreement; Combination Will Create Web's Largest Network of Gaming Destination Sites confirms at least part of the recent rumor that GameSpy Industries was somehow in play (story), announcing that GameSpy is merging with IGN. Word is: "Because of their distinct audiences and strong loyalties, both the IGN.com and GameSpy.com brands will be retained. The companies expect to complete the merger in the first half of 2004."
View : : :
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Well, one reason maybe...
Dec 7, 2003, 15:22
Re: Well, one reason maybe... Dec 7, 2003, 15:22
Dec 7, 2003, 15:22

None of the files fileshack has hosted are exclusive to that site, other than the Steam Private beta. ASE just notifys you that there is a patch to be gotten for your game, and gives you a fileshack link. What more do you want it to do, link to fileplanet too? That would be wise, as gamespy is ASE's competitor.

How about pointing to a variety of links? How about pointing to the homepage of the content's creator? How about not being directly in bed with Steve Gibson? The fact that it only goes to FS means that 99.999% of users will simply click the first download link they see, which is Shack's.

Dec 6, 2003, 11:32
Re: Well, one reason maybe... Dec 6, 2003, 11:32
Dec 6, 2003, 11:32

None of the files fileshack has hosted are exclusive to that site, other than the Steam Private beta. ASE just notifys you that there is a patch to be gotten for your game, and gives you a fileshack link. What more do you want it to do, link to fileplanet too? That would be wise, as gamespy is ASE's competitor.

Dec 5, 2003, 22:28
Re: Well, one reason maybe... Dec 5, 2003, 22:28
Dec 5, 2003, 22:28

"To clarify, if you use All Seeing Eye, it will let you know when your games have updates, new maps, patches, etc. If you tell ASE to point you to the download, it always points its links to Fileshack.com. "

Thanks for the clarification. I did not know that. It's not something I've come across in my regular use of ASE. I grab most, if not all, of my patches through links posted at Blue's and any updating\patching I've done through ASE has been directly in the browser... no linking to any websites of any kind. But I have no reason to not believe you. I've just never had it happen to me.

I agree that there are no room for double standards either. If a game was to be released with an exclusive agreement with ASE I certainly wouldn't be inconvenienced since I'm a regular user but I certainly wouldn't be happy. A large segment of gamers would have been shut out at the last minute by having some third party software installation suddenly foisted upon them.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 22:36.

Dec 5, 2003, 17:59
Re: Well, one reason maybe... Dec 5, 2003, 17:59
Dec 5, 2003, 17:59

I do admit though that I now feel an overwhelming urge to eat McGriddles off a hot girl's bootie. But that could be pure coincidence, as I liked that before I ever saw IGN.

Dec 5, 2003, 16:57
Re: Well, one reason maybe... Dec 5, 2003, 16:57
Dec 5, 2003, 16:57

Nobody has offered (IMHO) much proof that this is a good thing either.

We arent trying to claim it's a good thing. Nobody has.
You guys are the ones trying to claim its a bad thing that they merged, when you dont even use their sites nor do you like them. So many of us don't see what your complaints are really based on. As MonsieurEvil pointed out, this affects nobody here in any way because you already dont use the sites, therefore you all have zero reason to act like whiney babies wanting a pacifier.

If anyone should be upset it should be the subscribers...like me. But I'm not, why should I be. They are doing business and will continue to do so. If they cancel the services before my subscription before the time is up on it, then I will have reason to be upset.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 16:58.

There might be an alternative...
Dec 5, 2003, 16:04
There might be an alternative... Dec 5, 2003, 16:04
Dec 5, 2003, 16:04

www.f1rst2.com

At the moment its focused on racing games, and has structured leagues/hotlap competitions. But other games will be added once the software's had a GUI overhall and moves out of Alpha/Beta testing.

Dec 5, 2003, 16:01
Re: Well, one reason maybe... Dec 5, 2003, 16:01
Dec 5, 2003, 16:01

'Or' is your friend - I didn't say anything about press release's opinions in the matter. I now hate all your English teachers like poison gas, Devster.

I don't even mildly dislike your English teachers, despite the fact I said "BTW", and you somehow took that to mean I was extending your comments to the release. I said BTW because that made me think of press releases and how they are always "Pro Pro Pro". But whatever.

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!
Psst: Dan = Fred/fiddlestix. Pass it on.
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Dec 5, 2003, 14:41
Re: Well, one reason maybe... Dec 5, 2003, 14:41
Dec 5, 2003, 14:41

'Or' is your friend - I didn't say anything about press release's opinions in the matter. I now hate all your English teachers like poison gas, Devster.

Bottom line - this merger does not negatively affect anyone here in any way. Two companies that use heavy advertising and paid content have merged. It's not like you lost some great free news site when it happened. Take all this wasted energy and go put it to some use elsewhere.

Dec 5, 2003, 12:32
Re: Well, one reason maybe... Dec 5, 2003, 12:32
Dec 5, 2003, 12:32

No one here has offered (IMO) much proof that this is a bad thing, or even bothered to read the press release.

Nobody has offered (IMHO) much proof that this is a good thing either. BTW, feel free to find an example of a merger press release from two companies that says such an action is a bad idea.

No subject
Dec 5, 2003, 10:37
No subject Dec 5, 2003, 10:37
Dec 5, 2003, 10:37

They should call themselves FOX VIDEO GAME NEWs

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

Dec 5, 2003, 10:32
Re: Well, one reason maybe... Dec 5, 2003, 10:32
Dec 5, 2003, 10:32

I'm not sure what that means. ASE updates through the browser and\or you can dowload ASE from it's own website. I've never used Fileshack.

To clarify, if you use All Seeing Eye, it will let you know when your games have updates, new maps, patches, etc. If you tell ASE to point you to the download, it always points its links to Fileshack.com. Check it out for yourself. Add it to many faceted layers of hypocrisy that is Steve Gibson.

I think this has otherwise been talked to death. No one here has offered (IMO) much proof that this is a bad thing, or even bothered to read the press release. Which by the way states pretty clearly that both networks are pretty much keeping their names and identities, and mostly merging capital.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 10:32.

Re: What does this mean for IGN for men?
Dec 5, 2003, 10:00
nin

Re: What does this mean for IGN for men? Dec 5, 2003, 10:00
Dec 5, 2003, 10:00
 nin

i mean wtf is up with that ign for men site. i clicked on it expecting it to be cool, but that was on the page was some stupid tips for shaving and like tips on picking up a woman if you are morbidly obese.

A classic example that IGN is clueless...

"Guys! The game section isn't getting enough hits!"
"What if we did a section on Cars?"
"Do our readers even drive?"
"Um...sure."
"Go with it then!"
"What about a section called Men, with all kinds of cool "men" stuff?"
"Like Hustler?"
"No no no! Like...um, shaving. Yeah...shaving. And tips to pick up chicks!"
"Are our readers old enough to shave and pick up chicks?"
"Um...sure."
"Go with that, too!"
"Can someone please pass me another McGriddle?"

http://www.ash-official.com/

hehe
Dec 5, 2003, 09:27
hehe Dec 5, 2003, 09:27
Dec 5, 2003, 09:27

PennyArcade has a nice strip up today. Catchy.

Re: What does this mean for IGN for men?
Dec 5, 2003, 09:08
Re: What does this mean for IGN for men? Dec 5, 2003, 09:08
Dec 5, 2003, 09:08

This merger is like Satan marrying Hitler or Saddam Hussein.

No love for Gamespy...and I hate IGN.

What does this mean for IGN for men?
Dec 5, 2003, 08:45
What does this mean for IGN for men? Dec 5, 2003, 08:45
Dec 5, 2003, 08:45

i mean wtf is up with that ign for men site. i clicked on it expecting it to be cool, but that was on the page was some stupid tips for shaving and like tips on picking up a woman if you are morbidly obese.

i think that now ign has a little more capital, they should make a site for men that has what men REALLY want--namely, pictures of other naked men.

Re: What does this mean for Blue's News?
Dec 5, 2003, 07:59
Re: What does this mean for Blue's News? Dec 5, 2003, 07:59
Dec 5, 2003, 07:59

I'm more disappointed by the quality of IGNs Game areas & reviews than their supposed bias; areas not covered in some, erroneous statements in others, poor spelling & grammar (read the links review, for example).

On the other hand, I like IGNs film news site (AICN is too annoying), and Gamespy is sometimes good for a laugh (though less and less nowadays). But in general, I don't expect much to change from either side for quite some time. I view the (gaming) content from each so periodically, I don't think it will affect me much, so long as we don't get a GameMcSpy (hmmm... "Hello!?!?! McSpy!?!?!")

Dec 5, 2003, 07:28
Bronco

Re: What does this mean for Blue's News? Dec 5, 2003, 07:28
Dec 5, 2003, 07:28
 Bronco

This is of course just my opinion.

Yes, and we disagree.

I understand your point. However, I'm not going to stop commenting on what I see as unfair or bad business practices.

Just because something is accepted by the masses or has happened in other similar industries over long periods of time doesn't mean I have to accept it quietly or ignore it (it also does not make it right).

Taking your own advice you can just ignore me and the other people here that voice these opinions. We've expressed these opinions for a long time and there are other places you can go to read forums that follow the thought process you subscribe to. You can solve your own problem very simply.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 07:31.
-TPFKAS2S

Dec 5, 2003, 04:41
Re: What does this mean for Blue's News? Dec 5, 2003, 04:41
Dec 5, 2003, 04:41

This is a screen capture someone archived from McIGN:

http://www.blurbco.com/~kevin/McIGN.jpg

It looks like a joke, but unfortunately it wasn't. I think the point is that it's difficult to respect a company which, rather than admitting defeat and declaring bankruptcy, would prostitute itself to such a degree.

Upon visiting such a site, were it devoted to food reviews, would you expect from it a completely candid and unbiased assessment of the McGriddle breakfast sandwich? Probably not. So when IGN's entire business strategy is based on ad revenue from game companies, as well as user subscription fees for exclusive content provided by game companies, it is a reasonable assumption that IGN would want to do as much as possible to maintain a friendly relationship with the game companies.

Re: No subject
Dec 5, 2003, 03:43
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2003, 03:43
Dec 5, 2003, 03:43

"GameSpy is great for their software, network of websites, and downing new files."

Hahahahahah. Great software?

Re: No subject
Dec 5, 2003, 01:31
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2003, 01:31
Dec 5, 2003, 01:31

You don't know how right you are.

My site was stolen.

A little more info maybe? Like what site? What did they do to steal it exactly?

87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older