Thanks Mike Martinez...

View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: ugh...
Dec 5, 2003, 00:58
Re: ugh... Dec 5, 2003, 00:58
Dec 5, 2003, 00:58

The irony in all this is that it's VC's open-endedness that contributes to these sort of narrow-minded opinions.

You could play the entire game brutally murdering cops and then label it as a "cop-killing simulation". Or ram every person on the street with vehicles and say it encourages vehicular manslaughter. Or snipe random people and pretend you're that Mohammad guy.

The "Make-what-you-want-out-of-it" nature of this game makes it an easy target for all sorts of political commentary.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Dec 4, 2003, 18:34
Re: ugh... Dec 4, 2003, 18:34
Dec 4, 2003, 18:34

The CNN article quotes someone, or the game itself, that the game says "Kill the Cubans" or "Kill the Haitians". If it's a quote from the Haitian- or Cuban-American groups, then yes, I agree with Wowbagger, that they took it out of context. However, if the game itself specifically has a line of text, that indicates the mission objective saying "Kill the Cubans", I can completely understand why they're pissed off. It'd be like saying "kill the blacks" or "kill the whites" from the Cuban viewpoint. Remember, immigrant groups are far less concerned with concepts of race, but with concepts of culture. And to them, blacks are a cultural group, whites are a cultural group, and Cubans and Haitians are cultural groups. And so for immigrants, black and white grouping is no different than Cuban and Haitian grouping.

Anyway, this story is interesting primarily because this has got to be the first time the ultra-republican Cuban Americans and the ultra-democrat Haitians have ever agreed about anything. Heh!

I also think the quote from Rockstar's publisher that "no offense was intended" is total crap, if the game specifically says "kill the Cubans", that is. In that case, they knew such a reaction was likely, but didn't care. Afterall, Cuban and Haitian-American groups are extreme minorities in this country and don't threaten Rockstar's profit line at all, even if 100% of their people boycott the game it won't make a dent. Meanwhile, you CAN actually increase your profits by appealing to the "Racism Lite" of the market majority..

Or as a Warner Bro's movie exec said, "good history is the history with white faces on it, bad history is everything else."

Dec 4, 2003, 16:22
Bronco

Re: ugh... Dec 4, 2003, 16:22
Dec 4, 2003, 16:22
 Bronco

Really? Never heard of that one (What is it?).

I don't usually use cheat codes but some of these really make the game even funnier than usual. Check out the ped codes for example.

These are from http://www.gamefaqs.com

THUGSTOOLS All ''light'' weapons
PROFESSIONALTOOLS All ''medium'' weapons
NUTTERTOOLS All ''heavy'' weapons
ASPIRINE Full Health
PRECIOUSPROTECTION Full Armor
ICANTTAKEITANYMORE Commit Suicide
YOUWONTTAKEMEALIVE Raise Wanted Level
LEAVEMEALONE Decrease Wanted Level
FANNYMAGNET Ladies Man, Women Follow You
CERTAINDEATH Makes you smoke a cigarette
DEEPFRIEDMARSBARS Makes Tommy fatter
PROGRAMMER Gives Tommy girly arms/legs
STILLLIKEDRESSINGUP Change Skin/Clothes
CHEATSHAVEBEENCRACKED Play as Ricardo Diaz
LOOKLIKELANCE Play as Lance Vance
MYSONISALAWYER Play as Ken Rosenberg
LOOKLIKEHILARY Play as Hilary King
ROCKANDROLLMAN Play as Love Fist character (Jezz Torent)
WELOVEOURDICK Play as Love Fist character (Dick)
ONEARMEDBANDIT Play as Phil Cassidy
IDONTHAVETHEMONEYSONNY Play as Sonny Forelli
FOXYLITTLETHING Play as Mercedes
PANZER Spawn a Rhino
TRAVELINSTYLE Spawn a Bloodring Banger
GETTHEREQUICKLY Spawn a Bloodring Banger #2
GETTHEREFAST Spawn a Sabre Turbo
GETTHEREVERYFASTINDEED Spawn a Hotring Racer
GETTHEREAMAZINGLYFAST Spawn a Hotring Racer #2
THELASTRIDE Spawn a Romero's Hearse
ROCKANDROLLCAR Spawn Love Fist's Limo
RUBBISHCAR Spawn a Trashmaster
BETTERTHANWALKING Spawn a Caddie
BIGBANG Blow up nearby cars
MIAMITRAFFIC Aggressive Drivers
AHAIRDRESSERSCAR All cars are pink
IWANTITPAINTEDBLACK All cars are black
COMEFLYWITHME Cars can fly
GRIPISEVERYTHING Perfect Handling
GREENLIGHT All traffic lights are green
SEAWAYS Cars can drive/hover over water
WHEELSAREALLINEED Only the wheels of a car are visible
LOADSOFLITTLETHINGS Sportscars have big wheels
HOPINGIRL Peds get in your car
ALOVELYDAY Sunny/Clear Weather
APLEASANTDAY Light Clouds
ABITDRIEG Dense Clouds
CANTSEEATHING Foggy Weather
CATSANDDOGS Stormy Weather
LIFEISPASSINGMEBY Speed up game clock
ONSPEED Makes everything faster
BOOOOOORING Makes everything slower
FIGHTFIGHTFIGHT Peds Riot
NOBODYLIKESME Peds Hate You
OURGODGIVENRIGHTTOBEARARMS Peds Carry Guns
CHICKSWITHGUNS Girls Carry Guns
CHASESTAT Shows Media Level (when 2+ stars)

Better hurry. KOTOR awaits!

You know how I work. KOTOR is scheduled for some time in 2005. Besides, I'd rather play X2 (if it turns out to be any good).

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 16:23.
-TPFKAS2S

Dec 4, 2003, 16:03
nin
Re: ugh... Dec 4, 2003, 16:03
Dec 4, 2003, 16:03
nin

There's a code in that game that ads a news ticker. This ticker tells you just how large your crime spree is. Really funny watching it ramp up to national news then world news.

Really? Never heard of that one (What is it?). I'm the same way...I think I'm about 25% through the missions, but most of the time I just like to cruise around and wreck havok.

If I didn't have to paint tonight I would take a BGII break.

Better hurry. KOTOR awaits!

http://www.ash-official.com/

Dec 4, 2003, 15:52
Bronco

Re: ugh... Dec 4, 2003, 15:52
Dec 4, 2003, 15:52
 Bronco

The moment I saw that headline, I knew which game they were talking about...

Those radio stations were an absolute riot...

I never got more than 6 maybe 7 missions into VC. It was just too much fun to hop on a speed bike and attempt to drive from one end of the map to the other at top speed while pulling a wheelie.

Or getting in a truck flooring it and ramming bikers at max speed. Watching their bodies fly would make me laugh and laugh.

There's a code in that game that ads a news ticker. This ticker tells you just how large your crime spree is. Really funny watching it ramp up to national news then world news.

If I didn't have to paint tonight I would take a BGII break.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!
-TPFKAS2S

Re: Pensioners at play
Dec 4, 2003, 15:03
PHJF

Re: Pensioners at play Dec 4, 2003, 15:03
Dec 4, 2003, 15:03
 PHJF

Fucking English...

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Pensioners at play
Dec 4, 2003, 14:43
Pensioners at play Dec 4, 2003, 14:43
Dec 4, 2003, 14:43

On another topic, anyone read that BBC article on older gamers? Here's a quote:

But some worry it is a sign that older people are becoming increasingly isolated.

"It seems to me that computer games are repetitive, isolating, and all the evidence is that older people need to be stimulated and challenged.

"I can't see this as a way of doing it," writer Jill Smith told the BBC's Today programme.

Instead of being a sociable activity, Ms Smith said playing games could simply be replacing watching TV alone.

Emma Soames, editor of Saga magazine said it was no different to knitting or playing card games.

"Just as there are people who mis-spent their youth in snooker halls, now they are spending their middle age in Mario land," she said.

Who the fuck made these two sluts the High Almighty Overlords of How To Live Life, anyway? "Mis-spent youth" in pools halls, (sorry, no snooker halls here in the States, much to my lament), is a very biased and overbearing point of view. I've met some very good friends playing pool, or bar trivia, or just chatting after work during happy hour. I'm 35, and I don't consider any time I spent enjoying myself in a bar "mis-spent." It's fascist little bitches like these, trying to run everyone's life for them, that destroy freedom and social diversity. They're the type of people who would be perfectly happy to have us all live in a world like that from the movie Equilibrium.

/end of rant

Sorry, just had to vent on that one. I'll clamber down off my soapbox, now.

----
-- 11) Thou Shalt Not Whine --

Re: No subject
Dec 4, 2003, 14:38
nin
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2003, 14:38
Dec 4, 2003, 14:38
nin

Oh boy, here we go...

No subject
Dec 4, 2003, 14:26
No subject Dec 4, 2003, 14:26
Dec 4, 2003, 14:26

if cubans would stay in cuba and haitians would stay in haitia we would not have this damn problem of gangs. immigration laws ought to changed very quickly

Dec 4, 2003, 13:27
nin
Re: ugh... Dec 4, 2003, 13:27
Dec 4, 2003, 13:27
nin

Maybe they should sue the makers of Scarface, since that's where GTAIII and Vice City got a lot of their themes from.

Ya know, I'd never seen Scarface until it came out on dvd a few months ago. The similarities between it and Vice City were amazing, especially that street outside the apartment where the "chainsaw incident" occurs. Watching the dvd, it was like Rockstar had perfectly modeled their game after it.

Dec 4, 2003, 12:27
Re: ugh... Dec 4, 2003, 12:27
Dec 4, 2003, 12:27

Maybe they should sue the makers of Scarface, since that's where GTAIII and Vice City got a lot of their themes from.

Dec 4, 2003, 11:31
nin
Re: ugh... Dec 4, 2003, 11:31
Dec 4, 2003, 11:31
nin

The moment I saw that headline, I knew which game they were talking about...

Those radio stations were an absolute riot...

ugh...
Dec 4, 2003, 11:27
ugh... Dec 4, 2003, 11:27
Dec 4, 2003, 11:27

People always find something to bitch about. The game doesn't have you indescriminately killing Haitians or Cubans (at least not anymore than it has you indescriminately killing other races), it has you killing gang members that happen to belong to those ethnic groups, which is to be expected in Miami. They really should find something important to complain about. I hate to see such wise and competent people reduced to bitching about how gang members are portrayed in a damn video game...

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older