Game Reviews

View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

blech...
Dec 5, 2003, 06:46
blech... Dec 5, 2003, 06:46
Dec 5, 2003, 06:46

What really sucks is that way back when they first started releasing gameplay movies, the game looked really cool. I just can't figure out how they could have screwed it up so badly, except by making the decision to focus on the XBox as the primary platform for the game. They just totally missed what made the first game so great. I'm not going to buy this game, mainly out of respect for the first game. I'd feel like I was selling out DX1 and all the fun I had playing it by giving them money for creating this garbage that isn't fit to share the Deus Ex name.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Re: Deus ex
Dec 4, 2003, 02:42
Re: Deus ex Dec 4, 2003, 02:42
Dec 4, 2003, 02:42

I don't know Ray, I hated the demo, and the full game has a lot of frustrating problems, but I'm having lots of fun with it. Certain things are shamefully not fixed - the default settings are all messed up (most importantly, set MouseLagThreshold to 0), the physics are still crappy, and the bodies still look like weird mannequinns over your shoulder. I chalked these up as bugs and hoped they'd be fixed.

That guy on the forum is full of crap though. The graphics are by no means worse than the first game. They have some pretty good moments. The performance is inexcusable, however. With max details and multisampling at 1 (because apparently anything higher causes lots of graphical corruption with ATI cards) I have to go to 800x600 to get a good framerate.

The HUD isn't too bad if you set opacity to 0.

I don't know why people are so bothered by the voice acting. It seems passable enough to me.

Yes, in many ways it is a step back from the first game. And there are lots of issues that need to be patched immediately. I've been playing it all night though.

~Steve

Dec 4, 2003, 00:18
Re: Deus ex Dec 4, 2003, 00:18
Dec 4, 2003, 00:18

I haven't played the game like you, only the demo, so I may be wrong. I agree with the aestetics stuff. Too bad to hear you are disappointed - I'm still hoping I will like it. The reviews seems to be fairly good, after all....

Dec 3, 2003, 22:09
Re: Deus ex Dec 3, 2003, 22:09
Dec 3, 2003, 22:09

I am glad that you can enjoy the gameplay, but it just feels like such a step back from Deus Ex. Aesthetically, it is really bad, but it just the interface and overall clunky feeling that really, really kill it for me. I thought the Thief series was always a little clunky, but it ran fast enough that I could tolerate it while still going around and blackjacking people left and right. However, I think IW makes that game look completely free and open in contrast.

I don't care about my character, the story feels incredibly forced, the dialogue is really bad, I am not really improving my character at all since the experience system is gone, etc.

The performance does not help either. The game looks really bad and runs even worse.

Lastly, I hate how limited and confined this game is. This is said in partial jest, but the original Deus Ex demo level could easily hold five IW levels inside of it.

A saddened Deus Ex fan :(,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KotOR!!!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Dec 3, 2003, 20:48
Re: Deus ex Dec 3, 2003, 20:48
Dec 3, 2003, 20:48

Got the full version today, my thoughts (and a few screenshots) are posted here: http://www.mistresslair.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=635&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Deus ex
Dec 3, 2003, 17:30
Deus ex Dec 3, 2003, 17:30
Dec 3, 2003, 17:30

A little late for that discussion, but I only just got to try out the demo, and my conclusion is that the massive negativity generated around it is probably wrong. Some points:

* Just like the first game, the game is flawed in certain respects. The graphics aren't as bland as in the first game, but it is too demanding for my rather high-end PC - and that is a plain mistake. The design also feels a bit crowded, "blocky" and old fashioned in some ways.
* Although the demo is too short to show it, I can feel the depth the game will have because of given by choices, and the multiple solutions approach and not at least: because of the the very fact that the game not only has visual design, but a social and narrative design - a constructed society, history, political situation etc as a backdrop. That last thing is very important - what other game has it?
* The interface is not too dumbed down. In fact it is still too complex. The people complaining are people with an unusual tolerance for complexity accounting for approximately 2% of gaming population (not hardcore gamers like those who read Bluesnews, that is.)
* People forget that the first game was largly forgotten for a while and then grown larger and larger in the last year or so, due evident lack of innovation in the genre and with the benefit of hindsight as to what has actually happened. The original demo would also disappoint to the same extent today without this history.
* This team can probably only make flawed games: the graphics, the lack of sensitivity to things that would frustrate the user and other things, shows that this is an "academic" approach to the idea of making a game. They don't start with the material of digital objects and see what you can shape them into, like Unreal T and Quake. They start with an abstract idea of what the game should be like, and then try to press the game into that mould. What you see is what you get with that appraoch. A game with many flaws due to this strain, but with one important difference: it is made with a important vision, which something very rare.
* We have a new ideological conflict brewing with regard to FPS games: should it be multilinear and based on "emergent" narratives or should it be (semi) linear with scripted events, like the Half-Life makers say (and which also say that multilinearity is *mistake*). I personally think that Deus Ex way of doing has and will show its success. Philosophically it seems to be more important than the Half-Life approach. The Half-Life people will be/is proven wrong about their assertin by Deus Ex I and II. (I doubt if there are much "emergent" narratives in Deux Ex II though. I doubt very much if the AI is good enough for that.
* I think Deus Ex II will be a good game to play, for the same reasons that the first game was good. Because it will show the validity of this approach, it will also be important to gaming.

Will

I must say
Dec 3, 2003, 13:33
I must say Dec 3, 2003, 13:33
Dec 3, 2003, 13:33

That the RPG Codex review for KotOR is HUGE. I thought mine was long. Mine's like the Cliff Notes of the Cliff Notes of his review! phew ...

-Sphinx
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older