PlanetSide Server Mergers

The latest PlanetSide Producers' Letter is online (thanks Frans), in which our friendly neighborhood TSlothrop offers some details on upcoming changes in the MMOFPS now that the Core Combat expansion has expanded. These include an upcoming vehicle, changes to cert costs, and an outline of the Battle Concentration Initiative, which involves the merging of four servers into two.
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

I WANTED to like Planetside
Dec 3, 2003, 19:46
I WANTED to like Planetside Dec 3, 2003, 19:46
Dec 3, 2003, 19:46

I really did. On paper is sounded great. I was chafing at the bit. And then... well, I played the beta. And it was good, but not great... I would have paid the monthly fee for a few months, but I would not pay the $50 THEN the monthly fee for a few months.

PS suffers from a lack of individuality. There really needed to be a lot more ways to stand out as a person, a unique individual, as an outfit. Daily records, patches, rewards... they would do a lot to fix up this game. Also, the complete lack of persistence in the goals is depressing.

Why should I expend massive amounts of effort to grab the entire continent... YAY, it's our color! Woo hoo! Ok... so what did we win? Nothing? No points? No kudos? No recognitioin? And 5 minutes later they cap a tower and it's no longer ours?

Bah. Good idea, it but it's missing a few essential things needed to make it worth $13+ a month. I'd say it's currently worth $5, maybe even $8... but not over 10. Not until they create persistent rewards for succeeding at the game's goals, and incorporate better player and unit recognition features.

Ancient

Asheron's Call 2
Dec 3, 2003, 16:31
Asheron's Call 2 Dec 3, 2003, 16:31
Dec 3, 2003, 16:31

I always hear people referencing this, does anyone know what it's like these days? How often can you find people? At least the engine is going to get some nice usage with Middle Earth Online

Re: Movie/Game property implementaion
Dec 3, 2003, 14:07
Re: Movie/Game property implementaion Dec 3, 2003, 14:07
Dec 3, 2003, 14:07

Could you imagine a Bladerunner Shooter/Sneaker done by the folks that do the Thief series, complete with NPC's and cell-shaded effects?

That basically describes Deus Ex but it's not popular to like DX anymore.

Re: PlanetSide has a bright future
Dec 3, 2003, 12:28
Re: PlanetSide has a bright future Dec 3, 2003, 12:28
Dec 3, 2003, 12:28

This game has had a lot of growing pains, especially technically. Let's face it, nobody else has pulled something like this off.

That's the typical MMO apology - that MMOs are somehow inherently flawed technically. More like, if companies can get people to pay for beta testing - why not? Sony TS wasn't interested in answering problems, all they cared about was culling player logs to hopefully implement in a patch later. Sure sounds like beta testing to me. How much have you handed Sony for that "feature"? How many of my bugs did they even respond to while I was there? Oh yeah. None.

And growing pains is an understatement. I once respawned as a wall. I could see. I could hear. I couldn't move or do anything else. Nobody else could see or hear me. Why? because I was a wall.

A monthly charge is a lot to ask from consumer, especially for a game. Even without the above nags, PS just gets old after a while - and the community will only put up with them "inventing" new gameplay (especially if they have to pay for it extra) for so long. Depending on how cheap the servers are, they might keep this alive until they try again in a few years.

Dec 3, 2003, 12:22
Re: PlanetSide has a bright future Dec 3, 2003, 12:22
Dec 3, 2003, 12:22

mmmmm T2 Renegades

Dec 3, 2003, 12:19
Re: PlanetSide has a bright future Dec 3, 2003, 12:19
Dec 3, 2003, 12:19

PlanetSide-Universe is going to be interviewing the PlanetSide producer tonight in a live shoutcast about the merger. http://www.planetside-universe.com/index.php?newsid=680

Gryphon

Dec 3, 2003, 11:23
Re: PlanetSide has a bright future Dec 3, 2003, 11:23
Dec 3, 2003, 11:23

A gamer who has lost touch said "I think PS will start to turn around and gain players again soon. "

Nope, ain't gonna happen. The only time MMOs gain players is substantial game changes, massive price reductions, or crazed FAN led recruitung. And PS doesn't have it. I was an early beta and asked "Where does this game go?" The answer was nowhere.

SOE would not even give JACK to the individual to show that they had accomplished something.
Where were the UNIT patches?
And Theatre medals/ribbons?
Or even a reward (armor at +30%) because you have the most caps that day kind of thing.

Hell I would have been happy, if they could have just did a massive T2 Renegades.

PlanetSide has a bright future
Dec 3, 2003, 10:49
PlanetSide has a bright future Dec 3, 2003, 10:49
Dec 3, 2003, 10:49

PlanetSide is the only game that offers truly massive battles involving 300+ players over just one base. There's nothing else that even comes close to this experience.

This game has had a lot of growing pains, especially technically. Let's face it, nobody else has pulled something like this off. Over the last couple months, a lot of problems have been fixed and performance is generally better. New vehicles and game-play is being added all the time. Weapons, vehicles, and certifications have all been changed.

On Emerald you see battles sometimes with 40+ tanks and it's just insane fun. Heavy bombers (Liberators) blasting infantry lines; Reavers doing rocket-strafing runs; 12 guys dropping out of a Galaxy transport onto a tower from 400m simultaneously.. you can't make this stuff up.

Still, you do need a kick-ass system to play the game- P4 2 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM and a Geforce 4 4200/ Radeon 9500 is really the minimum.

While lots of players have quit since the game started, the population is generally stabilizing now and by combining the 2 coastal servers in 1 server per coast will recreate the kind of huge battles that existed during first couple of months, but without the constant crashing.

PS can support 4000 players a server (400 players per continent, 10 continents).

I think PS will start to turn around and gain players again soon.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 10:50.

Movie/Game property implementaion
Dec 3, 2003, 10:33
Movie/Game property implementaion Dec 3, 2003, 10:33
Dec 3, 2003, 10:33

"How this IP has never been tapped for a persistant world game is baffling."

Isn't it sad that some of the best franchise properties get crappy treatment while other original stories get great treatment be we ultimately don't care about them?

I'd love to see a Star Trek game using the Homeworld 2 Engine...

Could you imagine a Bladerunner Shooter/Sneaker done by the folks that do the Thief series, complete with NPC's and cell-shaded effects?

LucasArts finally figured out that a BF1942-based shooter in the Star Wars universe would be amazing.

The Eve of Destruction BF1942 mod did a great job of incorporating various Vietnam-era films into their material.

Public opinion version .12b Alpha
"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

Just one step away from dead...
Dec 3, 2003, 10:11
Just one step away from dead... Dec 3, 2003, 10:11
Dec 3, 2003, 10:11

Even die hard PS fans I know have started to agree that the game has just become boring. Yes, it helps if you have a good outfit, and it helps if you aren't plagued by the many, many technical issues which have haunted the game, but in the end even that only last so long.

I got PS after a recommendation of one of those die hards above and regretted it to my very bone. At one point, it crashed 5 times in an hour - a record for any game I've ever played (and only kept logging back on to try and help my friends). Horrible performance and hands down the worst technical support in the history of supporting things technically. I, and several other people, had posts deleted rather than answered. Then I got banned for trying to egg the TS in actually responding. Then they turned my subscription back on without notifying me.

The only time SOE did anything customer friendly was when they agree to cancel my account and take back the subscription fees. Least they did that right.

true sign the game is failing
Dec 3, 2003, 10:06
true sign the game is failing Dec 3, 2003, 10:06
Dec 3, 2003, 10:06

nuff said

once server consolidation takes place, you are heading down the Asheron's Call 2 road

I personally thought this game sucked, but oh well, time wil lprove me right

Re: I disagree.
Dec 3, 2003, 10:01
Re: I disagree. Dec 3, 2003, 10:01
Dec 3, 2003, 10:01

The game was a major turn off to me because of the weapons, gameplay, and the performance...

They should have dropped the RPG class aspect all together. All that is needed are various player classes with fun to use weapons. It could have been a game like Tribes2 or BF1942, easy to learn, hard to master, and on a massive scale. That way people are playing to learn more about the various classes and weapons as opposed to raising their battle rank. Instead of a "score" they could have kept track of player and clan stats.

the best part about life is knowing you put it together

Dec 3, 2003, 09:51
Re: I disagree. Dec 3, 2003, 09:51
Dec 3, 2003, 09:51

I liked planetside allot as well. I have a terrific group to play with, that helped tremendously. Hopefully the merger will help getting back some of the huge battles that made the game so fun in the first couple months. It is getting a bit stale though. Its unfortunate the game had so many hurdles to be successful, but its still fun from time to time, but I dont see myself playing it every night anymore.

Dec 3, 2003, 06:43
Re: I disagree. Dec 3, 2003, 06:43
Dec 3, 2003, 06:43

"How this IP has never been tapped for a persistant world game is baffling.
"

Well, they were going to, and then Microsoft bought FASA so they could have exclusive rights to the property, and the game just disappeared.

Now we're getting Mythica as their next MMO offering. I'm sure after the astounding success of Asheron's Call, it'll be a great game. [face_sarcasm]

Dec 3, 2003, 05:26
Re: I disagree. Dec 3, 2003, 05:26
Dec 3, 2003, 05:26

Interesting post Sarcasmo. I had forgotton about taking the orbital drop and how it would encourage those who were waiting to talk to each other and by trips end, most would end up forming a squad. 15 minutes was too long IMO but 45 seconds is too much in the other direction.

as far as a true online MMORPG war goes, theres an awesome IP that just begs for a MMORPG version....Battletech. How this IP has never been tapped for a persistant world game is baffling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: CoD, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Firestarter, UT2004 Pondering: Second Life Listening to: Dropkick Murphys
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Love and hate
Dec 3, 2003, 03:12
Love and hate Dec 3, 2003, 03:12
Dec 3, 2003, 03:12

I loved teaming up with other people to take on a base, but the game runs like a dog unless you have a gig of RAM. It was also terribly buggy at launch. Several times a session my system would randomly lock up completely, and then there were the warp hangs, where you'd lose your Gal and half the crew was disconnected. Bit of a buzzkill.

I for one loved the drastic reduction in dropship wait time. I tore my hair out too many times waiting for a Galaxy crew to get their asses in gear, and too many times barely missing the dropship and hoping like hell that Instant Action would get me there. Then there were the times that IA didn't work because the active continents were locked and...I'll stop there.

That said, invading a base with a huge group of people against some staunch defenders never, ever got old. It was a huge, cool experience. But there wasn't enough content in the game to keep me interested in the long run.

Battle Concentration Initiative?
Dec 3, 2003, 01:03
Battle Concentration Initiative? Dec 3, 2003, 01:03
Dec 3, 2003, 01:03

In other words, we don't have enough players, so we're going to put you all together on two servers.

Makes sense, in a way, since there's no point in having four servers if you can't get enough players to populate them all, but two servers really is rather few. It seems that after playing for awhile, quite a few people are leaving Planetside. I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that there really isn't anything to do in the game...

Creston

Dec 3, 2003, 00:59
Re: I disagree. Dec 3, 2003, 00:59
Dec 3, 2003, 00:59

I'm SICK of MMORPGs, I want a Massively Multiplayer WAR.

I hear ya. Give the WW2OL devs about 10 more years and I'm sure they'll have their entire European theater modeled instead of what they have now - the battle of France.

10 years isn't too long if you think about it :}

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

I disagree.
Dec 2, 2003, 23:31
I disagree. Dec 2, 2003, 23:31
Dec 2, 2003, 23:31

I liked Planetside a lot. I've said from the start that I would've liked an advancement system more suited to a fast paced FPS like Planetside (speedy leveling that could turn you into a god, but 3 or so deaths would erase your progress), but I never had a problem finding friendly people to screw around with, and the game lends itself to strategic thinking. On my server we had great Command Rank 5 leaders who kept everyone organized over the global chat. I quit for a few reasons:

1. The FPS problems wore me down to my last nerve. My system isn't fantastic, but it goes beyond the requirements and should've at least kept me at a constant 30 FPS considering I turned off a lot of bells & whistles.

2. When Core Combat came out there were a lot of problems. One thing that really pissed me off (but not many other people apparently) was that they changed the dropship waiting period from 15 minutes to something like 45 seconds. That completely eradicated the community feel of grouping up in a galaxy (player's version of a dropship, not instantaneous like the big one) at the Sanctuary (home base) and chatting it up while you waited to head out for an attack.

I also felt like Core Combat was generally a cop-out. The new weapons and vehicles are things with actual good uses, but they're designed in this generic, chrome plated 'futuristic' way that makes them all look like they came off the same assembly line (and in a hurry). Also, instead of just restricting the new areas to CC owners, the rest of us were forced to contend with these new weapons while not being allowed to actually use any of them ourselves. The flail alone took a big dump on the entire idea of balance in the game because of this restriction.

In the end it was just too much. And it's sad, because it really is the kind of game that needs to succeed. I'm SICK of MMORPGs, I want a Massively Multiplayer WAR. The idea that people won't settle for a world they can't change in meaningful ways is bullshit. People play and love online shooters more than any other games, and if some developer would put an end to all this bungling around, and just make that kind of game on a truely massive scale, people would love them for it.

Re: hmm
Dec 2, 2003, 23:17
Re: hmm Dec 2, 2003, 23:17
Dec 2, 2003, 23:17

The changes made late in beta killed the game.

cant say I agree. The lattice aspect was brought in just before launch and it tightened things up considerably. Before that it was just running helter skelter. It brought more focus in.

As I see it the game demands a lot of time to get the most out of it. It also makes a huge difference if you have a group of friends that play together on a regular basis and take a specific role in the team. It definitely isnt the kind of game you jump in for a few minutes of gameplay to blow off a little steam then leave. One of the things I think that is off-putting for many shooter fans is that outside of being a part of the corporation your affiliated with, theres no room for individuality or at least recognition of clans and ways in which they can set theselves apart. As it is currently your just another anonymous player/group running an endless loop of capping, losing, recovering, etc.

Currently Playing: CoD, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Firestarter, UT2004 Pondering: Second Life Listening to: Dropkick Murphys
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older