Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

DX: Invisible War Q&As

A triple-play: RPG Vault's Deus Ex: Invisible War Q&A, Part 3 talks with Kent Hudson, Ricardo Bare, Warren Spector, Matt Baer, and Jared Carr asking a few last questions to cap off their conversation about ION Storm's impending FPS/RPG sequel. There is also a DX: Invisible War Q&A on Gamehelper talking with ION Storm's Harvey Smith, asking a variety of questions, including whether they are considering switching to Half-Life 2's Source engine on the eve of the game shipping. Finally, the Deus Ex 2 Q&A on Firing Squad also chats with Harvey "Witchboy" Smith going into more detail about the game's design and production.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Reviews Dec 3, 2003, 08:24 Bronco

So does anyone here think all these reviewers are lying and the game is still a pile of shit ?

IGN: 9.0
Gamespot: 8.0
Action Trip: 8.5
Gamespy: 8.0

What gamers need is the curve that these guys are grading to. Knock off say, 2.5 points from every score and you have a better idea of the games.

I rarely rely on game reviews when I decide to buy a game. I'm about 1.5 years behind the current releases (playing BGII right now) so by the time I get to a game I have a real good idea of how good it is and I get it at a great price.

That is about the only positive spin I can put on my total lack of time for gaming. I started playing BGII at the beginning of October. Right now I guess I'm about half way through Chapter II. At this rate I'll be finished in March. Sheesh!

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!

-TPFKAS2S
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: I'm confused... Dec 3, 2003, 01:25 Creston

If you think about it, Petz was just an earlier, more basic version of The Sims

Quite frankly, I believe the whole idea goes back to "Little Computer People" for the Commodore 64, absolutely frigging Yonks ago. It was a 2d side view of a house, and this little guy lived in it, but for the time it was absolutely amazing. You had to feed him or he'd die, you could order him around, you could play chess with him (and if you didn't make a move he'd tap the screen as if to urge you along, brilliant), poker, there was an incredible amount of stuff in there, considering that the entire game ran in about 62K of memory!

As for the Sims, someone said "Sure you'll have fun playing it for just an hour or so, but you won't get very far."
Then again, 90+% of the people that play the Sims aren't really playing it to "get far", or to "win", or to maximize their bars, or their friends, or to get all the best jobs etc. They just play it to have fun.
And in an hour or so you could build a fairly decent mansion and watch your Sims mess around in it for a bit.

I liked the game quite a lot, especially with the pets, but too many bugs popped up in that expansion.
I'll honestly admit that I'm actually EAGERLY awaiting Sims 2, because the whole growing up and growing old thing seems to be pretty cool.

Creston, hardcore gamer who also digs the casual stuff (but I hate Myst...)

23. Re: I'm confused... Dec 2, 2003, 22:18 Ray Marden

Myst?

Well, you:

• Had a reason to get/use that CD-ROM.

• Could look at the pretty graphics.

• Did not need a high end system.

• Could go back and forth as you liked.

• Could just explore, not worrying about dying.

• Just had to click on things.

• Did not have a timer.

• Just had puzzles to solve, not battles to beat.

• Could beat the game in under one minute.

• ...and so forth

Obviously, some of this changed as the series became a series, but a lot of these have stayed the same.

As for The Sims, just look at how many units that has sold. You only do that by both going mainstream and breaking the gender barrier. How many people actually play or played it just to "win" rather than to just have fun or, as gamers grew attached, make sure their little people were doing ok?

If you think about it, Petz was just an earlier, more basic version of The Sims.

Thinking they are definitely mainstream,
    Ray

Edit: Code tweak.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I mildly dislike my computer.
    http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
    http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
    I love you, mom.
    This comment was edited on Dec 2, 22:21.

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://www.kindafunny.com/
    I love you, mom.

22. Re: I'm confused... Dec 2, 2003, 22:06 nin

Um... Ray, how was the Myst Series aimed at the average player? The vast majority I know who purchased the game also purchased the guide book with it, myself included

Well, it was the game everybody bought. And you didn't have to be technically savvy with computers to appreciate it (IE it wasn't like a flight sim or a "Quest" series game from Sierra). You just clicked the mouse and tried to figure stuff out...

http://www.ash-official.com/

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
    https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

21. Re: I'm confused... Dec 2, 2003, 21:15 The Half Elf

Um... Ray, how was the Myst Series aimed at the average player? The vast majority I know who purchased the game also purchased the guide book with it, myself included, and I gave up on it and gave it to my roomate who hates everything but Everquest, and he loved it.

But The Sims I don't think is a casual game, especially if you want to "win" it and gain the top of your job with all the body requirments and not to mention the social requirments. Can The Sims be played casually for 30 mins to an hour or 2? Yes, will you get very far? No.

I guess what we really need is a definition of what is/isn't a casual game, or casual game experience.

To me the Petz series was casual but maybe that's just me, or any of the fighting console games.

*shrugs*

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

20. Re: No subject Dec 2, 2003, 19:16 Fantaz

They are trying to hide the 3 in there because they don't want people to play 2, which is a piece of crap.

19. Re: Demo Dec 2, 2003, 17:06 Kurtz

Ah, I stand corrected. That'll teach me to post at work.

18. Re: I'm confused... Dec 2, 2003, 17:05 Ray Marden

Actually, those games are/were aimed at the casual market.

Part of why they have sold so well is that they made very accessible to the average player.

Wondering what happened to the deer-hunting craze,
    Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I mildly dislike my computer.
    http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
    http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
    I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://www.kindafunny.com/
    I love you, mom.

17. No subject Dec 2, 2003, 17:04 Bunko

I think the full game is going to better than you might expect but I do think that IS is really kidding themselves if they think that this game is better than the first.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
    http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

16. Re: No subject Dec 2, 2003, 16:58 WaltC

"You know what? The majority of people who played Deus Ex never finished it because it took so long. Believe it or not, the majority of gamers are casual gamers, not hardcore. A lot of people complained about the length of Deus Ex."

Care to cite some references for these views? I hate to break it to you, but playing a computer game isn't like going to a movie where after the third hour people are falling asleep and into the fourth hour people are walking out...:) Not quite. Most people play computer games in small chunks, say an hour or two at the time, and so a game "taking too long to finish" is rarely a problem for people. In fact, the more a game keeps them interested and involved between sessions, and keeps them entertained enough to keep coming back, the more people like it, and the better entertainment value it seems.

What people dislike are long games that are also boring and fail to draw them in, or long games that are long because of stupid design decisions developers make about not allowing people to save where they want--and so people get frustrated at having to repeat sections over and over again just because there's no decent savegame feature. That's not "long"--that's tedious and boring, frustrating and artificial. The concept of the "casual gamer" has absolutely nothing to do with game length. IMO, this kind of talk about 10-15 hour games selling for $50 is just nonsense because all it involves is a developer and publisher wanting to sell you a lot less content for the same amount of money.

"Hardcore gamers make up only a very, very small segment of the market. Very small. Very, very, very small. You guys can choose not to believe that, but the sales figures of games like Myst, Riven, The Sims, and other casual games speaks for itself."

I think your definition of "hardcore gamers" being people who like games that keep them entertained for longer than 15 hours is really funny...:) I wonder what you'd call people who play online games like Q3 and UT2K3 for hours each week for *years*..."fanatics"...? Those games don't even have a single-player story behind them.

I can also tell you've never played either Myst or Riven, if you'd categorize them in the same class with "The Sims"...:) But, hey, if IS wants to put out a 15-hour console game on the PC for "casual gamers" and charge $14.95 for it at WalMart (as I last saw The Sims priced there, along with other "casual games" like "Who wants to be a Millionaire?"), great--I'd have no problem with that whatever.

But to bill this game as PC game, single-player only, and call it "DeusEx2", and then offer no more than 15 hours or so worth of total content (on top of everything else non-DeusEx about it about it) for $50?--nope, that's a horse of a different color.

"Not every game has to be 40 hours, nor should they. Not every gamer needs to be hardcore, nor should they."

And not every game needs to cost $50, either...:) Or is that you just think we should all pay "hardcore" prices for "casual" games?

"I'm just correcting your grossly flawed worldview."

Hmmmm...yours doesn't seem all that enlightened, to me...:)Sigh, there's always *somebody* who thinks it's a great privilege to pay more for less. But to be honest, after having installed this demo and being shocked at the general sloppiness and shoddyness of it, not to mention the fact it's a blatant attempt to profit from the original game while it resembles it in name only, I wouldn't be interested in this game if it was on the shelf at WalMart next to Regis Filbin's smiling mug and marked at $14.95. But I would certainly think it was priced right, no question.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 17:02.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

15. Re: Demo Dec 2, 2003, 16:35 Jerry S Ku

Kurtz/tony, if you read his message more closely, you'll see that he meant those games are for the non-hardcore, which is why they were such big successes

14. Re: Demo Dec 2, 2003, 16:22 Kurtz

I don't think that Myst was meant for the hardcore gamer. From my memory of how Myst went down, the promotion, etc., it was about as mainstream as it gets. If it was meant for the hardcore gamer, something went terribly wrong.

13. Re: Demo Dec 2, 2003, 16:08 anon@24.76

review sites are full of crap.
    and IGN is one of the crappiest.
    They gave master of orion 3 a 9 I think.

The main thing is, the publisher payed for some of the big full screen ads. same with DX:IW, go to ign, you have a good chance of getting the dx:iw ad first thing.

12. Re: Demo Dec 2, 2003, 15:52 Tony!!!

lol, "The Sims was aimed @ the Hardcore Gamer crowd". Put the hash pipe down.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
    my 360 user name is Robo Pop

11. Demo Dec 2, 2003, 15:49 NastyJack

Yeah, going by the demo. These reviewers are going by the full game. There's probably a big difference between the two you know. It wouldn't be the first time a good game had a shitty demo and it won't be the last.

10. Re: Reviews Dec 2, 2003, 15:18 wtf_man

"So does anyone here think all these reviewers are lying and the game is still a pile of shit ?"

Sort of.

Going by the Demo... I'd give it a 6.0 and say it's "Bargain Bin Worthy"
    This comment was edited on Dec 2, 15:19.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

9. Everyone who played the full game Dec 2, 2003, 14:49 Ratty

... LOVED it! That's what they're saying. They act like they aren't taking us seriously because we've only played the demo and that can't possibly reveal all the things they feel make the game great.

So who all has played the full game and are saying it's great? I'll bet my left nut it's a bunch of XBoxers. XBox butt kissers to boot.

We'll see what the gamers have to say when the full game comes out. Of course they'll still only listen to the XBox crowd, who will no doubt love it.

I don't need to know anything about the full game to know I'll be passing this one up. The interface said it all. It's not worth squinting through that HUD and fighting the moronic inventory interface to get at the 15 hours of gameplay in tiny, claustrophobic maps populated with retarded AI.

8. Reviews Dec 2, 2003, 14:32 NastyJack

So does anyone here think all these reviewers are lying and the game is still a pile of shit ?

IGN: 9.0
    Gamespot: 8.0
    Action Trip: 8.5
    Gamespy: 8.0

7. I'm confused... Dec 2, 2003, 14:22 The Half Elf

"Hardcore gamers make up only a very, very small segment of the market. Very small. Very, very, very small. You guys can choose not to believe that, but the sales figures of games like Myst, Riven, The Sims, and other casual games speaks for itself."

Um, if I'm not mistaken, those 3 games themselves were aimed AT the hardcore gaming market. I mean The Sims has what now.... 6 or 7 addon's with a full blown sequal in the works, and by no means do I think it's for the casual gamer. And the same for the Myst series, I tried "casually" to get into Myst and my poor brain nearly exploded before I finally gave up.
    The original DX wasn't designed for the casual gamer like say a sports game, where you play a single football game, and come back a week or 2 later and play again when you have some free time.

I guess I don't understand what your definition of "casual" is when it comes to Computer Games, cause from what you are saying, it sounds like any of the Final Fantasy Series, or Baulders Gate series would be "casual" to you.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

6. Re: No subject Dec 2, 2003, 14:04 Steele Johnson

Great, so all the games of the future will suck until some mysterious developer comes out of nowhere and develops a shareware game the blows every hardcore gamer away and changes the world of pc gaming. Oh wait, didn't that already happen? Anyway, it will happen again.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo