Out of the Blue

Wow, it was like someone turned a switch around here to commemorate the coming of December... the weather early in the day was sunny and warm, but it was quite chilly and gloomy by the end of the day with spots of freezing rain, and by this morning, we already had our first dusting of snow. I saw a neighbor's lawn being mowed yesterday morning, and wondered how much longer that would be practical, and now I have my answer. Today's layer of frost could be cleared by a good sneeze, but this reminds me of my resolve to finally get a snow blower this year. I've joked about this in the past, but it's no laughing matter... the number of middle-aged guys that keel over in their driveways shoveling every year is positively frightening, and I see no need to contribute to that state of affairs.

Play Time: Let them sing it for you. Thanks Rich Paxman.
Link of the Day: Internet mapping project weaves colourful web.
Stories of the Day: Joey Ramone has a New York street corner named in his honour.
Newest tattoo trend: Removal. Shooting for that unusual no-ink look.
Secret Energy Haunts Coral Castle.
Science!: Research on Ecstasy Is Clouded by Errors (registration required).
Researchers invent walking wheelchair.
Modem moguls' paths diverge. Thanks John W. Simms.
Auction of the Day: Antique Roman Gaming Die. Thanks John W. Simms.
Follow-up: Segways May Become War Machines.
Gator foe bitten, but still not shy.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: I need some help guys
Dec 3, 2003, 23:37
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 23:37
Dec 3, 2003, 23:37

Since the Xbox does have a harddrive they can release patches to the game. How they get the patches there is a different matter. Up till now, I believe they have just done it over Xbox Live, but it wouldn't be that hard to release a demo disk with the patch on there.

Crimson Skies got a patch just recently that fixed a bug in the single player that only occured when you also played Xbox Live. So only Live players needed it, but if it was a show stopper, they could have released the patch to many more people.

But I haven't heard any complaints about KOTOR on the Xbox. Not especially on the order that you guys are having.

But about buying an xbox: would I buy a 2 year old PC, that let's me easily play video games without crashes/driver issues, plug into my TV and surround sound system, easily have 3 buddies playing along side with me in my living room, and all for $150 (you can find stores that have a $30 rebate on the Xbox)? It's a bonus that it doubles as a DVD player, since when I needed to buy a new DVD player, I just grabbed an Xbox (great excuse for the wife )

Sure, I'll also spend $1500 on a PC for things like Battlefield and Counter-Strike, but when you want to play games with a bunch of people in Real Life (tm) as opposed to internet buddies, an Xbox can't be beat.

Dec 3, 2003, 23:14
nin
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 23:14
Dec 3, 2003, 23:14
nin

kotor has been oddly stable for me, once I got the latest nv drivers...

Let us know what you think of it Enahs!

http://www.ash-official.com/

Dec 3, 2003, 22:29
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 22:29
Dec 3, 2003, 22:29

ya i had to deal with a lot of shit in kotor but it was worth it

• minimizing to desktop out of nowhere
  • minimizing to desktop out of nowhere and then closing
  • screen turning black
  • on the odd occasion I'd get a major slow down when coming out of a menu, would fix temporarily if I alt-tabbed out and in again
  • my favourite: blue screen noting my nvidia dll and having to dump the physical memory to disk which would take a long time and then reboot

i never tried that beta patch, that could have helped

oh and enahs, if you get it make sure you get it after your finals!!!!!!!

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

Aaah democracy is surely sweet (except when I appoint myself mayor).
ExcessDan

Dec 3, 2003, 16:11
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 16:11
Dec 3, 2003, 16:11

I'll be honest Fang, there are days when I say to myself "I'm NOT spending any more money on my PC, because it's just not worth the aggravation anymore".

I appreciate consoles, and think that they get more good games than PCs do (shut up fanboys), it's just that I refuse to plunk down money for a console that has hardware that I considered obsolete 2.5 years ago...

But yes, for just wanting to play a game, and not put up with the fucking hassle, a console is great value.

Ofcourse, KotOR on my PC has problems, but so did the Xbox version, and they will never get a patch...

Creston

Edit : Argh, I just got Invisible War, and it cheerfully tells me that the Catalyst 3.8 is not supported, please use the 3.9. Dammit.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 16:41.

Dec 3, 2003, 10:38
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 10:38
Dec 3, 2003, 10:38

Sounds like you should have gotten KOTOR for the Xbox...

I enjoy my PC gaming, but that's one thing I enjoy about the Xbox, I don't have to deal with system hangups that are impossible to figure out. After my last bout with system instability, I can appreciate my Xbox more.

Of course, there are a few games that got rushed out the door without proper testing on the Xbox that can cause crashes and are well documented on messageboards, so I just choose not to purchase/rent those.

Dec 3, 2003, 10:01
nin
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 10:01
Dec 3, 2003, 10:01
nin

Ok, I have not played KOTOR yet, no demo of course!
But you guys have convinced me, I am going to buy it and check it out!
Or, should I just buy some crack, As that seems to be less addictive then this game?

KOTOR should last longer than crack...plus there's replay value. Get it. NOW.

As far as I'm concerned, KOTOR is GOTY.

edit: "Watch KOTOR cut through this tin can and still cut right through the ripe, juicy tomato. It slices, it dices, it does all the work in half the time! Don't wait! ORDER TODAY!"

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 10:04.

Dec 3, 2003, 09:52
Enahs

Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 09:52
Dec 3, 2003, 09:52
 Enahs

Ok, I have not played KOTOR yet, no demo of course!

But you guys have convinced me, I am going to buy it and check it out!

Or, should I just buy some crack, As that seems to be less addictive then this game?

_____
Enahs
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Dec 3, 2003, 09:12
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 09:12
Dec 3, 2003, 09:12

Ray,

Yes, I'm aware of the 3.9s, however they give some kind of weird ass slowdown effect with my browser, where it takes a menu button ten seconds or so to open, and the buttons are text only, not really a button to speak of. Don't know what's up with that, but since I browse more frequently than I play KotOR (well, ok, normally I would ), that became an absolute killer for me.
Also, the 3.9 kills Jedi Academy.

I would still be on the 3.6, since that was the one driver I had that was absolutely stable with everything, but, wouldn't you know it, KotOR doesn't run well with it.
And Bioware actually stated they advised the 3.8 for KotOR. Oh well.

Power cables and heat all seem to be under control, but I'll need to play more rigorously to be sure. Please let us know what you think of IW, Ray. I think I'm only going to pick up Hordes of the Underdark today, I don't have time to play much else besides KotOR, so I'll just wait for a patch for IW and X2 before digging in.

Bucky,

I had no idea about that feature, thanks for the heads-up. So basically it's a crash, but it at least lets me recover my system, which is pretty sweet, because it works in that respect. I still have to quit out of KotOR, since the keyboard stops working, but it's better than a total hang and you can't save. Now that I know what it is, I can appreciate that feature. Thanks

"KotOR!"

Creston

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 09:16.

Dec 3, 2003, 08:58
nin
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 08:58
Dec 3, 2003, 08:58
nin

did someone say kotor?

"WE ARE THE KNIGHTS THAT SAY KOTOR!"

KOTOR!

KOTOR!

Dec 3, 2003, 08:33
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 08:33
Dec 3, 2003, 08:33

Creston,

Ati recently added a feature to their drivers-VPU recover. Basically, when a program crashes it resets the VPU so that a reboot isn't necessary; it also produces that "graphics card no longer responds to any commands" error message. Not sure if it was added in the 3.8s or 3.9s though, but that may be what is giving you the error message. An easy way to tell if it's there is to check the advanced display properties, a VPU recover tab will be there if it came with the drivers you have.

Well, I'm off to trudge around in this lovely New England weather (according to weather.com it currently feels like 2F)

Dec 3, 2003, 03:16
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 03:16
Dec 3, 2003, 03:16

did someone say kotor?

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

Aaah democracy is surely sweet (except when I appoint myself mayor).
ExcessDan

Dec 3, 2003, 02:19
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 02:19
Dec 3, 2003, 02:19

You know that Catalyst 3.9 is out, right?

3.8 had some really nasty problems with one or two games, although I do not believe KotOR was one of them.

Heat will be a direct issue for the CPU and video adapter. For all the other components, you just have to worry about slowly-building ambient heat.

Try taking the sides off of your case and seeing if that helps. Also, make sure that your external power adapter for the RADEON is firmly connected and on a strong line. Lastly, get the 3.9s.

Both anticipating and dreading IW tomorrow...,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KotOR!!!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Dec 3, 2003, 01:15
Re: I need some help guys Dec 3, 2003, 01:15
Dec 3, 2003, 01:15

Hey Bucky,

Thanks for the tips. I had actually already reinstalled from scratch once I put my Audigy2 in, since I figured that having both a new graphics card AND a new soundcard on an old install with old drivers was just begging for trouble.

I've reinstalled, and after some agonizing moments in which textures were all fucked up in KotOR, I realised that I had misclicked the graphics driver, and installed the Catalyst 3.7 instead of the 3.8

*Knocks on wood* So far, things seem to be running smoothly again. I don't rule out the fact that I might have had some crazy virus running around tearing shit up. All my fans work properly, my sound card edit : Doh. GRAPHICS CARD doesn't SEEM to get too hot (for all the ineffectual testing that I did), and my voltage monitor seems fairly stable, so I'm guessing it was just freaky software glitches after all. (or at least, I'm PRAYING that's what it was).

KotOR has been giving me some weird bugs anyways. Twice now my image froze, I got kicked to the desktop after about 30 seconds, and this window told me that "something caused my graphics card to no longer respond to any commands".
Wtf is that supposed to mean?

Here's hoping. Thanks again for all the advice guys!

Creston

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 09:14.

No subject
Dec 2, 2003, 23:01
No subject Dec 2, 2003, 23:01
Dec 2, 2003, 23:01

My nick was not changed but my account was forcibly changed I should have over 1000 posts. Oh well.

If Ralph Nader makes the Democrats lose and he doesn't get his 5% of the vote... *shakes fist*

Yay! My new rig will be built within the year! I ordered my motherboard, processor and HSF last weekend! It should be here tomorrow. I've got a case, so I can start building

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Dec 2, 2003, 22:35
Re: I need some help guys Dec 2, 2003, 22:35
Dec 2, 2003, 22:35

Creston, I had the exact same problem, and I'm running a nearly identical setup (9800 Pro, Audigy 2 ZS). Turns out it was driver conflicts. I had an Nvidia card in the system and upgraded. Before the upgrade I uninstalled the drivers and using a third-party utility pulled out the rest of the Nvidia crap. Put the Radeon in, installed the drivers and everything worked great. Every now and then the system would do just what you described, be it during gaming or word-processing. One clean install later and my system hasn't crashed yet.

If a card upgrade isn't the case then I'd have to agree with everyone else, check power supply and temps. Don't know if this all helps or not, but hey, it can't hurt.

Re: Thanks guys
Dec 2, 2003, 22:26
Re: Thanks guys Dec 2, 2003, 22:26
Dec 2, 2003, 22:26

Get at least a 400w, I say.

480+ if you want to be nUrd-a-rific extra safe.

Noting that drives draw much more power when first starting up,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I mildly dislike my computer.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Thanks guys
Dec 2, 2003, 22:25
Re: Thanks guys Dec 2, 2003, 22:25
Dec 2, 2003, 22:25

Everything so big... Bold and Beautiful

Thanks guys
Dec 2, 2003, 22:22
Thanks guys Dec 2, 2003, 22:22
Dec 2, 2003, 22:22

I do run a 300 watt power supply, but since I only added the Audigy 2 ZS recently, it may be that that's finally taken me over, since the Athlon and the graphics card, plus 2 cd's and a harddrive might just be a bit too much.

As for temperature, I do have a motherboard temperature gauge, I'm going to run that, see what it's doing.

I hope it's just a fan / power supply, I have no desire to struggle with compusa / ATI / Creative to get a broken graphics / sound card replaced

Thanks for the tips.

Creston

Attn Halsy:
Dec 2, 2003, 22:16
Bronco

Attn Halsy: Dec 2, 2003, 22:16
Dec 2, 2003, 22:16
 Bronco

The game may be changing in a big way.

Perot is to Bush senior as Nader is to Gore DEANLIEBERMANGEPHARTKERRYETC.

Somebody on the Dems side better ship him off to outer mongolia quick.

edit - forgot my linkage!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-3455972,00.html

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 22:16.
-TPFKAS2S

Re: No subject
Dec 2, 2003, 22:12
Bronco

Re: No subject Dec 2, 2003, 22:12
Dec 2, 2003, 22:12
 Bronco

Can anybody translate Ray-ese?

I had roughly 80% of it before he added the secret translation.

I couldn't get this part:

E...A, I J C Y M.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!
-TPFKAS2S
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older