XIII CD Fix Tip

A post to the XIII PC Tech Forum offers some work around tips for users having troubles running XIII on systems that have CD copying software installed. Thanks Tim.
View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: To developers/publishers:
Dec 31, 2003, 07:51
Re: To developers/publishers: Dec 31, 2003, 07:51
Dec 31, 2003, 07:51

When the game makers see their profits go to nothing cause people wont put up with purchases that wont work.. then theyll do something about.

Yep, they'll put the prices up and blame lack of sales on piracy... yet again!

Re: XIII PC Tech Forum
Dec 2, 2003, 11:11
tpe
Re: XIII PC Tech Forum Dec 2, 2003, 11:11
Dec 2, 2003, 11:11
tpe

In my case the game would not play even after i uninstalled all cd writing software because i only have a CD-RW drive and no CD-ROM. The Ubisoft FAQ was updated to reflect the incompatibilities with CD-RW as opposed to CD-ROM.

My post on the forum along with all the similar posts also got deleted, many users got banned for complaining.

The only reference that I can find that remains on the forum is a post requesting subjects to be included in the FAQ

Supposedly not all publicity is good publicity, it will be interesting to see what happens to any future posts from users with similar problems.

Dec 2, 2003, 11:07
Re: XIII PC Tech Forum Dec 2, 2003, 11:07
Dec 2, 2003, 11:07

Just get a warezed copy, and then mail a check directly to the programmers. That way you skip the middle man, i.e. publisher and get the money into the hands of the ones who that actually create something rather than f*ck it all up like most publishers do.

Dec 2, 2003, 11:03
Re: XIII PC Tech Forum Dec 2, 2003, 11:03
Dec 2, 2003, 11:03

Looks like they did not like everyone complaining Bad for business.

XIII PC Tech Forum
Dec 2, 2003, 09:55
XIII PC Tech Forum Dec 2, 2003, 09:55
Dec 2, 2003, 09:55

What happened to the above mentioned thread? Has it been deleted?

Consoles hahaha
Dec 2, 2003, 09:07
Consoles hahaha Dec 2, 2003, 09:07
Dec 2, 2003, 09:07

I'm beginning to suspect that developers/publishers are going to be disregarding the PC as a gaming platform more and more in favor of developing for consoles. Maybe this copy-protection BS is just another step in that direction.

If they ever stop making games for the PC then I will have to stop playing games. I will never pay good money to have a breeze block with 2 insane controllers to play linear shite games with dated graphics. I can just see the clan matches now on Dereks pro Water sking frenzy. Anyway piracy on consoles is just as big if not bigger than that of the PC's.

Re: Sweet Zombie Jesus...
Dec 2, 2003, 06:28
Re: Sweet Zombie Jesus... Dec 2, 2003, 06:28
Dec 2, 2003, 06:28

Good work, Anvil.

This whole copyprotection thing has gotten way out of hands.

The day the law abiding people get more hassle than the "criminals", is the day they need to reconsider what they are doing.

This day has come.

Re: Sweet Zombie Jesus...
Dec 2, 2003, 04:01
Re: Sweet Zombie Jesus... Dec 2, 2003, 04:01
Dec 2, 2003, 04:01

Also, we have no software patents, and circumvention of copy protection is perfectly legal

I had a hard time believing the second part of this - my wife is a patent attorney in the UK - so I looked up Norwegian copyright law on google.

http://www.kopinor.no/english/law95.html gives the private use provisions as shown below.

Provided this is not done for purposes of gain, single copies of a work which has been disseminated may be made for private use. Such copies may not be used for other purposes.

The provisions in the first paragraph do not convey the right to:

a) copy an architectural work through the construction of a building, b) make machine-readable copies of computer programs

emphasis mine.
Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

Re: XIII Ubisoft Crap
Dec 2, 2003, 01:28
Re: XIII Ubisoft Crap Dec 2, 2003, 01:28
Dec 2, 2003, 01:28

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 01:38.

XIII Ubisoft Crap
Dec 2, 2003, 00:57
XIII Ubisoft Crap Dec 2, 2003, 00:57
Dec 2, 2003, 00:57

This game has gone right in the round bin. How dare those assholes at Ubisoft tell me I should modify my CD writing package to make their crappy copy protection work. That is the last $65 bucks I spend with them. I will never purchase another Ubisoft game. They are penalizing all the honest comsumers to protect themselves from those that copy and trade games. Haven't these idiots got a clue that burning CD's is a typical day to day thing that PC users do to tranfer files and archive data. What are the execs at Ubisoft thinking. Fuck you Ubisoft and all your crap software you have got the last of my dollars.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 01:06.

PC gaming doomed?
Dec 1, 2003, 21:05
PC gaming doomed? Dec 1, 2003, 21:05
Dec 1, 2003, 21:05

I'm beginning to suspect that developers/publishers are going to be disregarding the PC as a gaming platform more and more in favor of developing for consoles. Maybe this copy-protection BS is just another step in that direction.
---
Chris.

Re: Any other game delay pales in compar
Dec 1, 2003, 20:20
Re: Any other game delay pales in compar Dec 1, 2003, 20:20
Dec 1, 2003, 20:20

So they are basically accusing their paying customers of being pirates. Even go so far as to imply we all steal nero as well... Fuck them.

Alternativly just grab a warez copy, after all if they are gonna accuse indiscriminatly you may as well live up to the name!

funny thing was i saw this up on various sites before it was in the stores, waaay to go copy protection!!!

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Re: Any other game delay pales in compar
Dec 1, 2003, 14:15
Re: Any other game delay pales in compar Dec 1, 2003, 14:15
Dec 1, 2003, 14:15

So they are basically accusing their paying customers of being pirates. Even go so far as to imply we all steal nero as well... Fuck them. Vote with your dollar and don't buy their games.

Dec 1, 2003, 14:09
Re: To developers/publishers: Dec 1, 2003, 14:09
Dec 1, 2003, 14:09

Yeah, it is generally the publishers that include the protection software, but I really do not care now. I have had two DVD/CD drives for the longest time so I was generally able to avoid problems on at least one of the drives.

Now, though, as I have the newer drives, things are getting much worse. I understand they need to be protected, but I think it is ridiculous when I cannot play the game because I have some nice hardware. Literally, it gets to the point where the w@r3z mUnk33 is playing the game, but I, the fool that paid for the game, cannot. Heck, I would be willing to verify all my information by phone - confirm my identity, repeat the UPC code or CD key, use some type of personal identification number - because that would at least let me play the game.

I do take great offense to the developers/publishers that really do not care or maky any effort other than to just blame the end user. There is some protection that simply will not run on any type of R/RW drive and that dumbfounds me because they are so cheap and prevalent.

Having decided to forego the XIII purchase long before this,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really, truly hate my computer!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.}
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: No subject
Dec 1, 2003, 14:07
Re: No subject Dec 1, 2003, 14:07
Dec 1, 2003, 14:07

Alcohol 120%:Nero::Yugo: Porsche. You don't get an option to disable virtual drives that I can find in Alcohol 120%

You can disable Virtual drives in A-120%, I do. It's in the online help file how to do it.

"When all else fails, read instructions"

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 14:08.

Dec 1, 2003, 14:00
nin

Re: To developers/publishers: Dec 1, 2003, 14:00
Dec 1, 2003, 14:00
 nin

Lastly, what types of computers are all you developers/publishers users? CD-R/RW and DVD-ROM drives are incredibly cheap - many computer manufacturers use these drives by default. Even DVD-R/RW drives can be found for $150 or less these days.

I think what happens (in some cases anyway) is the dev signs off on the software and declares it gold. THEN the PUBLISHER slaps on CP as apart of the disc manufacture process.

That was the impression I got from the XIII thread, and the story sounds familiar...so as far as the dev knows, the software works great. It's only when their boards are flooded with people bitching about CP do they discover what went wrong...

http://www.petshopboys.co.uk/

Dec 1, 2003, 13:55
Re: To developers/publishers: Dec 1, 2003, 13:55
Dec 1, 2003, 13:55

Well, they say the market place will determine what is what.
I have no interest in this game now that I see this.

Another reason not to run out and get a game the first day. Sit back, see what problems come up and then decide if you want to spend your money on the game.
When the game makers see their profits go to nothing cause people wont put up with purchases that wont work.. then theyll do something about. As long as people go and buy the game, they dont care.
They dont care you cant get your money back. Shoot, they barely care enough to make patches to get the game to run right.

To developers/publishers:
Dec 1, 2003, 13:42
To developers/publishers: Dec 1, 2003, 13:42
Dec 1, 2003, 13:42

Please quit it with the crazy copy protection already.

Dealing with my current copy protection issue:

I own Star Wars Galaxies with an active acount, but I am (currently) unable to play the game due to being unable to install the game. The game refuses to install on either my DVD-ROM or DVD-R/RW because of %@#$%$% copy protection.

I am in the process of getting my old CD-R/RW back from a friend just so I can install this game. This is even more ridiculous considering this game requires paying monthly for an account with a password.

Lastly, what types of computers are all you developers/publishers users? CD-R/RW and DVD-ROM drives are incredibly cheap - many computer manufacturers use these drives by default. Even DVD-R/RW drives can be found for $150 or less these days.

It is incredibly aggrivating when the only person not able to play a game is the person that actually paid for it...

Having problems with about ten percent of the games out now,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really, truly hate my computer!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.}
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Fuck ass
Dec 1, 2003, 13:41
Re: Fuck ass Dec 1, 2003, 13:41
Dec 1, 2003, 13:41

well, I bought XIII. I have nero and I only have a cd-RW in my system. It runs. The save game system appears to hav ebeen implimented by a blind monkey with some kind of degenrative brain disease. Fortunately the game moves through levels quickly which makes the save game fiasco less problematic.

You want a copy protection nightmare, check out the simpsons hit and run for the PC. Their forums are loaded with the 70% of consumers who either can't launch the game at all, or who crash in the first couple minutes of play because of the copy protection.

We need a class action suit. In the past 2 years, I've lost over $100 because copy protection makes the game unusable and the retailers won't take it back because it's opened. I'm never getting my money back, but it's chronic enough and getting worse to the point that I'd like to see the companies that pull this crap suffer for their idiocy. Lets see. CompUSA, Best Buy, activision, vivendi universal, electronic arts, macrovision. I'm seeing a WHOLE bunch of money ready for some rabid lawyers to exploit. The fact that I can't get my money back somewhere between purchase and not clicking a click-through license would seem to be legally problematic.

Fuck ass "copy" protection schemes
Dec 1, 2003, 13:02
Fuck ass "copy" protection schemes Dec 1, 2003, 13:02
Dec 1, 2003, 13:02

They no longer try to make the data on the CD hard to read, they just scan your Registry, and if they find you have Nero on your system, you must automatically be a Haxx0r determined to copy their game, so they decide for you that the game YOU LEGITIMATELY BOUGHT won't run.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that can't be entirely legal, can it?

I hope to fucking hell that Securom and all those other bastards will get a nice fat class action lawsuit slapped on their asses someday real soon now.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older