Matrix Online Website

The Matrix Online Website is now, well, online. The site already offers several features offering insights into how Monolith's upcoming MMORPG set in the Matrix universe will operate. Also offered is a poll, user forums, wallpapers, and more, as well as the release of the first four screenshots from the game. There is, however, no spoon.
View : : :
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Bullet Time, WTF?
Nov 15, 2003, 15:07
nin

Re: Bullet Time, WTF? Nov 15, 2003, 15:07
Nov 15, 2003, 15:07
 nin

What the hell? How are they going to handle THAT in a multiplayer environment?

It's called "lag"...

http://www.coldplay.com/

Bullet Time, WTF?
Nov 15, 2003, 13:36
Bullet Time, WTF? Nov 15, 2003, 13:36
Nov 15, 2003, 13:36

From the Matrix Online FAQ:

Will there be BULLET TIME™ in The Matrix Online?
Yes. BULLET TIME™, slow motion interactive gameplay, is an essential part of The Matrix Online experience.

What the hell? How are they going to handle THAT in a multiplayer environment? If you slow one person down, you have to slow everyone down... so that means that when you're fighting an agent or something, and the gameplay slows down to Bullet Time, then some poor shmuck on the other side of the city, who doesn't even know there's a fight going on, will be slowed down into Bullet Time, too.

No subject
Nov 15, 2003, 12:19
No subject Nov 15, 2003, 12:19
Nov 15, 2003, 12:19

re: 38

Thank god there is someone with common sense on the board. I fucking hate it when people argue the physics of sci fi. Its not just a coincidence that they call it Science FICTION for crying out loud.

This is just like how when someone on a Star Wars message board says they want a black lightsaber, there is always some dweeb that will fire back that a black lightsaber isn't possible...then another person will argue that it is.

STFU you geeks and watch the movie for what it is.

Re: No subject
Nov 15, 2003, 10:51
Re: No subject Nov 15, 2003, 10:51
Nov 15, 2003, 10:51

Yeah um, hey guys... 90% of the Matrix is flawed because, you see, it's made up. It doesn't actually exist. Big floating machines don't actually work, and guys with super-powers don't actually (and never will) run around disabling giant machines that talk back, outside of giant virtual-reality machines. And so (with this in mind) one tends to suspend reality for a moment and accept that the battery idea isn't so bad.

Nov 15, 2003, 09:18
Re: No subject Nov 15, 2003, 09:18
Nov 15, 2003, 09:18

I agree that the human as battery idea is flawed, but there's some concept that the machines need the humans. They were created to serve them, and maybe somehow they are still tied to that, so they keep them alive for that reason.

Maybe.

No subject
Nov 15, 2003, 08:25
No subject Nov 15, 2003, 08:25
Nov 15, 2003, 08:25

I'll freely admit to not having seen matrix revolutions, and all the talk of it lacking resolution really puts me off (because if you face it, a MMOG never has a resolution either, and if I watch the films 20 years from now, I want the full story to be contained in them, or at least enough of it that I get a full enough story for proper resolution and appreciation).

I actually enjoyed both Matrix 1 & 2, although the dance scene bored me to tears. Anyone that says Matrix 2 didn't add anything to the genre might be ignoring the multi-smith fight and the most extensive car chase ever filmed. My major problem with the whole thing is that the concept of 'human as battery' doesn't work. It's not physically efficient to build huge towers to take the energy, and you can't keep going forever without a prodigious amount of power provided through food (and human digestion is particularly inefficient for converting that).

If you ascribe too much intelligence to the movies simply because they make a lot of nods at a lot of philosphical concepts, you essentially give the movies far too much credit, and should just be watching them to be aware of the references, but to enjoy the films for themselves, which is mainly about the struggle, the characters and the journey they have to take to understand and try and win.

Matrix 2 was a good film because it added a lot of plot material to the mix. In 1, the goals are simple, the characters unquestioning, which makes them fairly flat. In 2, we get the revelations about what 'The One' really is, and the characters are left at the end having to question what their mission is now that it isn't defined by anything so easy as prophecy. 2 should have been a fairly good springboard for 3 to provide the characters with the opertunity to grow and find those answers for themselves, as well as resolve the overaching conflict and problems of the enslavement of humankind.

Re: heh
Nov 15, 2003, 06:10
Re: heh Nov 15, 2003, 06:10
Nov 15, 2003, 06:10

Oh for goodness sakes you wild pack of whiners... anyone would think you'd all lost your souls for the cost of a movie with all this pissing and moaning. Who (besides the people looking for an excuse to whine about something) gives a ratty rats bottom if the last few scenes looked like something out of DBZ? What did you expect to happen? A ballroom dance? You've had two full movies of guys flying around, kicking and punching each other, and you all act surprised there was more of it in the third?

Brym's comments are spot on. The movies are very well written. They're also entertaining action flicks, and unless you can show me something somewhere written in stone that says "The third movie in a trillogy needs to have an equal amount of spoken plot as the others." I'm going to remain convinced the W-brothers can write whatever they like, whenever they like, as long as it isn't a remake of Independance Day.

The only reason you guys are dissapointed with the last two movies is because you set a pile of flaming hoops for them jump through, and when they didn't live up to everything you wanted them to, you spat the dummy.

No plotline!
No character development!
No ending like I wanted!
No fights just the way I wanted them!
Not the same as the first movie!

*spit*

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 06:11.

Nov 15, 2003, 00:09
Re: heh Nov 15, 2003, 00:09
Nov 15, 2003, 00:09

" The reason that you find so many people who dislike the 2nd two films is because they aim for the intellectual middle class. The movies are too smart for the masses, so they tend not to like them. At the same time, elitist film critics are far to pretentious to enjoy the films, as they are fundamentally action movies rather than high-minded drama. That leaves people like me who are smart enough to enjoy them while at the same time not too pretentious to hate the films for what they're not. "

Thanks for the funniest post I've read all day.

I mean seriously, was there even any meaningful dialogue or character development in the last movie? The battle at the end looked like it was ripped from an episode of Dragonball Z.

No subject
Nov 14, 2003, 21:49
No subject Nov 14, 2003, 21:49
Nov 14, 2003, 21:49

Remember, the critics of now are the closeminded fools of tomarrow.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Nov 14, 2003, 20:49
Re: No subject Nov 14, 2003, 20:49
Nov 14, 2003, 20:49

Coolest thing about this game is Monolith Getting a Crack at a MMORPG game. graphics have a nice NOLF2 look to them. Wich is nice for City areas etc..

Should make for one of the more detailed and nicer MMO games out there. looking forward to it.

Pentium 4 3.12ghz 800 FSB HT
Abit IC7-G MAXX2
1G Corsair DDR-400
40GB Raptor 10,000RPM SATA
120GB 7,000RPM SATA
[b]Radeon 9800XT 425/382 (CAT3.8/DX9) [color=red]3Dmark03 7074[/color][/b]
[color=blueompare [url]http://service.futuremark.com/compar
This comment was edited on Nov 14, 20:50.
The Whales name is Bob.

No subject
Nov 14, 2003, 20:19
No subject Nov 14, 2003, 20:19
Nov 14, 2003, 20:19

This disappointing franchise will get no more of my money.

Re: The sad thing is
Nov 14, 2003, 17:57
Re: The sad thing is Nov 14, 2003, 17:57
Nov 14, 2003, 17:57

...driving their platinum chariots pulled by Californian virgins to the bank.

There are still virgins in California?

Okay, getting back to the point. The question is, given that there was a 45% drop in North American Box Office Receipts between Matrix 2 and Matrix 3 (which I think is a fine indicator of bad word-of-mouth), will there be a viable audience for the Matrix MMORPG?

I tend to think not.

MMORPGs play to an audience with a lot of free time (and broadband) and while this has significant crossover with the Matrix target audience (male, under 30 25) I don't think that there will be enough goodwill to sustain the game.

It seems like a strange concept for an MMORPG anyways. No quests? No dungeons? Only agents to fight? Hm. What exactly do you do in this game?

Nov 14, 2003, 17:50
Bob
. Nov 14, 2003, 17:50
Nov 14, 2003, 17:50
Bob

Matrix 2 and 3 sucked

'nuff said

The sad thing is
Nov 14, 2003, 17:34
The sad thing is Nov 14, 2003, 17:34
Nov 14, 2003, 17:34

Whether you liked the last two movies or not, I'm still thinking that any original ending that the Wachowskis had envisioned for the Matrix went straight out the window when they heard the words MMORPG and recurring revenue stream.

Hence, the Matrix had to exist AFTER the movies, and hence, there could be no resolution whatsofuckingever to anything brought forth in the entire trilogy. Which left me with a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

It has nothing to do with whether I understand it or not (Oh duh, Neo is Jesus and Smith is the Anti-Christ, who grows in power as Neo does, gee, I'm glad people on the Internet are here to explain that for us...), it's just that when I spend 30 dollars and six and a half hours of my time on a trilogy of movies, at the end of said movies, I expect to be at least at a marginally different place than right back at the fucking beginning.

In any case, the game is a cash in, it will sell about five million copies, have the most disastrous launch in the history of MMORPGs, causing the SWG devs to smile and feel good about their product, it will have about 800.000 nerds all dressed in black dresses and called N30r0xx0r5J00!!!!!1!1!1 paying the monthly fee of 20 bucks, and the Wachowskis will be laughing their asses off while driving their platinum chariots pulled by Californian virgins to the bank.

Creston

Re: *sigh*
Nov 14, 2003, 16:28
Re: *sigh* Nov 14, 2003, 16:28
Nov 14, 2003, 16:28

Kill-bill is very simply a nod to grindhouse flicks. It's not some cinematic masterpiece, nor is Quentin pretending it is. It's just a dolled up samruai gore flick.
Take it at face value and enjoy it for what it is. The only pretentions that it has are what people assign to it, nothing more.

From the man himself...

Q: How would you describe Kill Bill to people?

Quentin: Kind of depends who I’m talking to, you know. If I was working at a video store and somebody goes in the new release section and brings up Kill Bill to me and goes, “What’s this? Is it any good?” I’d go, “Shit, it’s great. It’s the bomb.” “Well, what’s it about?” “Well, it depends.” If I’m talking to somebody I know and I think they’re very cinema savvy and everything like that, then I’d say, “It’s 30 years of grindhouse movies put into a duck press. It’s a revenge film that’s genre hopping and it’s a lot of fun.” I’d make some film references: kung fu, Japanese samurai, spaghetti western. “You’ll love it.” But if it’s just a mom and pop coming in and they don’t necessarily have to be the most cinema savvy people in the world, if they’re going to do me the favor of asking my opinion about a film, then I wouldn’t go off in some airy-fairy way like that. I’d just say, “It’s a really cool revenge movie. You know, somebody’s been done wrong and they go hunting down the bad guys. It’s that, but that to its ultimate extreme.” Or, but also, like say a 13-year-old girl came in, and held up the box, “Is this any good?” “Yeah, baby. You’re gonna love it! It is girl power to the ultimate degree. You take it home and watch this and when you come back I’m gonna sell you an Uma Thurman poster to put up on your wall.”

Anyway, enough cinematic criticism, is the GAME going to suck or not? I say it'll be sponsored by Hoover.

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do not operate, there is no reality."
- Mr. Spock
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

*sigh*
Nov 14, 2003, 16:10
*sigh* Nov 14, 2003, 16:10
Nov 14, 2003, 16:10

I enjoyed the Matrix movies. I enjoyed them more
intoxicated, but that's beside the point. I'm not going to
pick apart these movies for the rest of my film class
buddies like the rest of you are doing. They were an
enjoyable time-killer at the absolute worst.

However, why are you guys belittling Kill Bill? It's the
biggest omage to a director/writer's film influences I've
ever seen and it just so happens that we share a LOT of the
same movie tastes. If anything, it should be verbally
rewarded for the 25 minute sword fight at the end of the
movie which was an absolutely beautiful visual bloodbath
and thank you to all the greatest Japanese samurai movies of
old.

Sometimes critics are too spoiled to just enjoy a film.

-Hyatus
"da da da"

Re: read before you type
Nov 14, 2003, 15:59
Re: read before you type Nov 14, 2003, 15:59
Nov 14, 2003, 15:59

I really liked all 3 movies.

You think I'm closed minded, ignorant, stupid?

The original post (which I quoted) was saying the exact opposite, only the original poster just said close-minded and ignorant, he didnt' call anybody 'stupid'. Pay attention.

Sorry, I'm half asleep here.

I'd argue about anything with anyone right now, and be unable to guarantee that any of it would make any sense

Nov 14, 2003, 15:54
Re: heh Nov 14, 2003, 15:54
Nov 14, 2003, 15:54

The reason that you find so many people who dislike the 2nd two films is because they aim for the intellectual middle class. The movies are too smart for the masses, so they tend not to like them.

Completely wrong and even if you were right, the last two movies would still remain awful movies with lots of style and visuals but no brain, depths, emotion or acceptable acting, in fact they miss everything a good movie is made of.

Having said that, I must agree that the Wachowski brothers have created one of the most amazing and complex religious universe probably ever in the history of films. Less than 1% of the matrix audience will ever fully understand what the Matrix is really about and stopping comparing the "real world" of the movies with our "real world". The Matrix concept is awesome and prove that the Wachowski brother are in no way idiots which only thing about CGI and money but this all doesn't change the fact that they f$$ked up the Matrix sequels when considering them as movies or art and not for what they stand for. To explain it more clearly: It's an awful package for a great inside.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 15:57.

read before you type
Nov 14, 2003, 15:51
read before you type Nov 14, 2003, 15:51
Nov 14, 2003, 15:51

I really liked all 3 movies.

You think I'm closed minded, ignorant, stupid?

The original post (which I quoted) was saying the exact opposite, only the original poster just said close-minded and ignorant, he didnt' call anybody 'stupid'. Pay attention.

Nov 14, 2003, 15:47
.. Nov 14, 2003, 15:47
Nov 14, 2003, 15:47

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 15:52.