Out of the Blue

Auntie Em! Auntie Em! It's a twister!!! Well, maybe not a twister, but trees are falling, power lines are down, there are delays at the local airports, all due to unusually high winds in these parts today. It's a little bothersome even here in the blue tower, a brick edifice in the grandest tradition of the prudent third little pig, as the huge fir tree in our yard is swaying so much that branches are beating on the window and air conditioner in my office.

I think I'll warn Toto, err Hudson the wonder dog to stand by in case we need to head down to the storm cellar.

Play Time: All-Star Football on the EASPORTS Website.
Basketball. Thanks markus friedl.
Link of the Day: Church Sign Generator. Thanks Soppky42.
Stories of the Day: Truck driver crashes semi while changing clothes. Thanks Miguel Gonzalez.
Girl Scouts trap beaver, anger activists.
Rings director cuts wizard scenes.
Science!: Billy the Kid’s DNA sparks legal showdown. Clinton?
Nasal Spray’s Use to Curb Hunger Is Found Safe in Small Test (registration required). Cocaine?
Program might settle cloud seeding debate.
Image of the Day: The Matrix: Spammers. Thanks Travis Fischer.
Media of the Day: The Making of a Brick. Thanks Enahs.
Auction of the Day: 1 Drink + 1 Kiss + Partygirl No SEX but FUN. Thanks Sam.
Follow-ups: Eaten missionary's family head for Fiji. Thanks pcurt001.
Diebold with a Vengance.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

re: walking tour
Nov 17, 2003, 06:59
re: walking tour Nov 17, 2003, 06:59
Nov 17, 2003, 06:59

cool, should I wear me best togs

and yes, Blighty = England

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Re: Blighty
Nov 14, 2003, 22:22
Bronco

Re: Blighty Nov 14, 2003, 22:22
Nov 14, 2003, 22:22
 Bronco

I could sell you a ticket (very reasonable) for a late night walking tour of Harlem. I'll be your guide but if I don't get there in time feel free to start without me - I'll catch up.

Good luck on that. Stop by Bill's office and say hi!

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!
-TPFKAS2S

Blighty
Nov 14, 2003, 19:55
WarPig

Blighty Nov 14, 2003, 19:55
Nov 14, 2003, 19:55
 WarPig

Where's "good old blighty"?

England... right?

As far as what to do in NYC, I could sell you a ticket (very reasonable) for a late night walking tour of Harlem. I'll be your guide but if I don't get there in time feel free to start without me - I'll catch up.

-----------------------------------------
Please move along people. Nothing to see here.

GO SEAHAWKS!

Re: Fatal Car Accident
Nov 14, 2003, 13:17
nin

Re: Fatal Car Accident Nov 14, 2003, 13:17
Nov 14, 2003, 13:17
 nin

Where's "good old blighty"?

http://www.coldplay.com/

Nov 14, 2003, 11:35
Re: Fatal Car Accident Nov 14, 2003, 11:35
Nov 14, 2003, 11:35

*nods* Its later on in the evening when your body calms down and you start shaking, then you get the horrible "wonder if I should have" feeling when realistically you know you did all you could. Good on ya man for trying. Take a stiff drink and go to the 24hr supermarket to burn it out of your system.

On a different note i'll be taking a trip to NYC over christmas from good old blighty. First trip to USA so I have no idea what to do over christmas in NYC, I am planning on just soaking up the atmosphere and buy a chilli dog on a walk round central park etc. Anything I must do in NYC?

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Nov 14, 2003, 10:10
Re: Fatal Car Accident Nov 14, 2003, 10:10
Nov 14, 2003, 10:10

SMA, at least you and your Dad did your best. I'd hate to hear another story where something tragic happens and people sit on the sidelines not wanting to get involved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Freedom Fighters, FragOps, CoD, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Armed & Dangerous, SWAT: Urban Ops, Firestarter, UT2004.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

No subject
Nov 14, 2003, 10:06
No subject Nov 14, 2003, 10:06
Nov 14, 2003, 10:06

Hunting is a way of like in Alaska.. I'm supportive of PETA but they need to back the fuck off from that Alaskan Girls Scout group.

Nov 14, 2003, 09:03
nin

Re: Fatal Car Accident Nov 14, 2003, 09:03
Nov 14, 2003, 09:03
 nin

Very sorry to hear about that SMA. The only thing I can think of to comfort you is: you and your father did what you could. You stopped your car and helped.

It amazes me the way life can change in the blink of an eye. Your story illustrates that perfectly.

Whatever you do, don't dwell on the "what-ifs"...nothing good can come out of that. What's done is done, unfortunately. You and your father both did what you could (and kept your wits about you in a difficult situation).

Get some rest and keep your chin up.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 09:04.

Re: Third time is the charm?
Nov 14, 2003, 07:59
Re: Third time is the charm? Nov 14, 2003, 07:59
Nov 14, 2003, 07:59

Just hold down Shift and then click the link.

NO WAY!!!

Heh, thanks man. You RULE!

Or hold CTRL if you want to open it in a tab. Wait, IE doesnt have tabs, sorry..

Nov 14, 2003, 01:06
WarPig

Re: Fatal Car Accident Nov 14, 2003, 01:06
Nov 14, 2003, 01:06
 WarPig

Wow that's rough. I had a similar but less harrowing thing happen to me a couple years ago. Even that experience in which I didn't know if the guy would live or die (he ended up living) left me pacing the floor with a sick yet over-stimulated feeling that I couldn't shake for a long time. Sounds like you both did everything you possibly could.

That weird mixture of dread and super-adrenaline that you feel as you're running up to the accident, not knowing what you're about to see is unbelievable. I don't know how paramedics, cops, and firemen do it.

I hope you can get some rest tonight - take care.

GO SEAHAWKS!

Fatal Car Accident
Nov 14, 2003, 00:10
Fatal Car Accident Nov 14, 2003, 00:10
Nov 14, 2003, 00:10

I thought writing this all down might help. My Dad and I were driving home this evening from Congresswoman Eshoo's office (I delivered my service academy nomination application) and witnessed a severe car accident that left two people dead and another in the hospital. We were about to pull off the freeway when we saw a car swerve out of control and flip over three times. We immediately parked the car and ran forward. The car was upside down and the driver was hanging unconscious in her seat belt and because of the way the car had landed was trapped. Both of the passenger side passengers were out of the car and relatively unhurt and there was a woman conscious but with a head injury in the backseat. My Dad's Army Special Forces Medic training kicked in (one reason why the Army is a good thing vFunct), gave me his cell phone to call 911 and immediately got the conscious woman out, sitting at the side of the road and had her apply pressure to her head. My Dad then went to work on getting the unconscious woman out of the car. It was at this point that I noticed there was a fifth passenger, a woman who turned out to be 16, who had been thrown from the vehicle and now lay on her side about ten meters from the overturned vehicle. I called my Dad who, unable to open an airway because of the driver's position and unable to get the driver out of the vehicle, had decided to leave the driver for the firefighters and paramedics. He came to the young woman on her side, opened an airway, and proceeded to check her for injury. I had repeated the injuries he listed off into the phone and then concluded the call. He suggested that I look after the two unhurt male passengers. One of them had his wits about him and I got him sitting at the side of the road but the other one was losing it. It was about this time the firefighters arrived. The man who was falling apart became dead set on finding his wallet and cell, I was unable to deter him so I decided it would be best to help him find it and then get him sitting down. As we walked past the vehicle the firefighters were working on getting the driver out. After finding the mans wallet and cellphone I walked him back to where his friend was and I noticed that the firefighters had the driver out and were working on her. I went over to see if I could help with the young woman but paramedics had arrived and were taking over for my Dad. The next time I looked at the driver I noticed that she had died and been covered. The paramedics worked on the young woman for about five minutes longer and had just gotten her onto one of the wooden boards when she died. A State Trooper came by to talk to me and my Dad about what we had seen and what we had done to help. We then left.

Sorry if this was kind of rambling but I'm still rather shaken. I had seen dead bodies before but I hadn't watched a person die while doing my best to help them. I just wanted to type this out to calm down.

Re: Best Signs....
Nov 13, 2003, 23:16
Re: Best Signs.... Nov 13, 2003, 23:16
Nov 13, 2003, 23:16

Nyl, my grandfather used to coach for VT. Remember Jerry Claiborne?

Trevor

Re: Third time is the charm?
Nov 13, 2003, 23:07
Re: Third time is the charm? Nov 13, 2003, 23:07
Nov 13, 2003, 23:07

Just hold down Shift and then click the link.

NO WAY!!!

Heh, thanks man. You RULE!
---
Chris.

As Tim Wilson would say....
Nov 13, 2003, 22:58
As Tim Wilson would say.... Nov 13, 2003, 22:58
Nov 13, 2003, 22:58

http://www.comedycaravan.com/hundred.html
"If there's girl scout cookies she's a little too young.....If you say "I do" be the ugly one."
If you haven't heard the song, it wont be as funny but....

Also, I think Girl Scouts have a dirty joke age exemption or something...
--------------------------------------------------
Kiss my shiny metal ass

Re: No subject
Nov 13, 2003, 22:37
nin

Re: No subject Nov 13, 2003, 22:37
Nov 13, 2003, 22:37
 nin

how could anyone not notice the words "Girl Scouts" and "Beavers" in one sentence?

Yeah, someone posted below about eating a beaver, and I decided not to point that one out...

Re: PETA ...that spells M-O-O-N
Nov 13, 2003, 20:53
WarPig

Re: PETA ...that spells M-O-O-N Nov 13, 2003, 20:53
Nov 13, 2003, 20:53
 WarPig

By that point its estimated there would be a 40-60% casualty rate from starvation (hopefully said PETA members would be in this percentage), suicide, outright cannibalism, disease (improper dressing of game etc), death from exposure etc.

This is why I make sure my cat eats well.

As far as concern -- I think that prize goes to California, home of the natural disaster. Would you like earthquakes, floods, mudslides, or fires today?

All I can do is wait for another volcano to go off. I hope I'm not around when Mt. Rainier wakes up.

GO SEAHAWKS!

Re: No subject
Nov 13, 2003, 20:28
Re: No subject Nov 13, 2003, 20:28
Nov 13, 2003, 20:28

Where the heck is this peta thing coming from?

how could anyone not notice the words "Girl Scouts" and "Beavers" in one sentence?

Currently Playing: Freedom Fighters, FragOps, CoD, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Armed & Dangerous, SWAT: Urban Ops, Firestarter, UT2004.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Auction of the Day
Nov 13, 2003, 19:44
Auction of the Day Nov 13, 2003, 19:44
Nov 13, 2003, 19:44

She looks better upside down..

No subject
Nov 13, 2003, 19:36
No subject Nov 13, 2003, 19:36
Nov 13, 2003, 19:36

Where the heck is this peta thing coming from? That mootrix thing?

And btw .. as far as the popups go.. i dont get ANY

Opera Opera Opera.. there are far too many broswer pop ups and hijacks for me to deal with IE..

try it .. you wont feel like a friggin monkey anymore..

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 19:39.

Re: PETA ...that spells M-O-O-N
Nov 13, 2003, 19:35
Re: PETA ...that spells M-O-O-N Nov 13, 2003, 19:35
Nov 13, 2003, 19:35

90% of Canada is still virgin wilderness (my guess).
Well, it's not a wilderness of virgins up here, I can tell you that.

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!
Psst: Dan = Fred/fiddlestix. Pass it on.
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older