Deus Ex 3 Plans

Deus Ex 3 underway: Spector Confirms on Computer And Video Games (thanks Frans) has word that as eager gamers anticipate Deus Ex: Invisible War, the imminent Deus Ex sequel, a third game in the first-person RPG series is already in the planning stages. There are no real details other than word that the third game will be a sequel to the second one, but without offering any direct quotes from Warren Spector, they say the confirmation of this project comes straight from the ION Storm designer himself.
View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Nov 11, 2003, 04:41
Re: No subject Nov 11, 2003, 04:41
Nov 11, 2003, 04:41

Well one way to find out who owns the System Shock rights would be to start making a SS mod for one of the new FPS games coming out, and then wait for someone to try and sue you. Then we'll know who owns the rights and we can get Ion Storm to buy it off them

Re: One Step at a Time
Nov 11, 2003, 03:24
Re: One Step at a Time Nov 11, 2003, 03:24
Nov 11, 2003, 03:24

Yeah, but realism for the sake of realism is very dangerous unless you're making Operation Flashpoint or something. The game must be fun, first and foremost, and running around for extended periods of time with nothing to do is not fun.

Nov 11, 2003, 00:47
Re: One Step at a Time Nov 11, 2003, 00:47
Nov 11, 2003, 00:47

Where's the fun in running around for two minutes before getting somewhere? That was a problem in DX1 maps like Liberty Island, Hong Kong, New York and Paris. There was far too much travelling.

The way things were spaced out in certain Deus Ex levels gave them a much more realistic feeling than most FPS games. In the real world you don't find something to do every ten feet unless you're at a damn carnival.

Nov 10, 2003, 22:47
Re: One Step at a Time Nov 10, 2003, 22:47
Nov 10, 2003, 22:47

And you missed my point, which was that your insistence that "the Xbox has more level loads. So the PC still has the bigger levels" and "read some previews/interviews and think before you bitch" was all hot air

We don't know that the levels are smaller than in DX1. In fact, a DX2 designer said they are NOT smaller. Spector's quote was talking about making bigger levels than there currently are in DX2. PC levels in DX:IW are bigger than Xbox levels. So I was right.

And since when are bigger levels something to aim for? Just because the PC can do it, that means we should aim for it? That's ridiculous. Where's the fun in running around for two minutes before getting somewhere? That was a problem in DX1 maps like Liberty Island, Hong Kong, New York and Paris. There was far too much travelling.

Nov 10, 2003, 22:35
Re: One Step at a Time Nov 10, 2003, 22:35
Nov 10, 2003, 22:35

Oh come on, you missed the entire point of what he was saying. He said that if it was PC-only maybe they would have had bigger levels. MAYBE.

And you missed my point, which was that your insistence that "the Xbox has more level loads. So the PC still has the bigger levels" and "read some previews/interviews and think before you bitch" was all hot air

Nov 10, 2003, 22:30
Re: One Step at a Time Nov 10, 2003, 22:30
Nov 10, 2003, 22:30

While I can't be bothered to look it up, there have been a ton of interviews in which Spector has said EXACTLY the opposite, something I'm sure many people will attest to.

And, quite frankly, I wouldn't exactly herald gamespy as the source of all true and unbiased information anyways

It's an interview with Spector himself, so feel free to disbelieve the info if you want, but you would have to believe that either they made up direct quotes, or Spector gets confused about his own game design and development.

I'm not saying it definately will be crap, but the fact that they started by making concessions and setting any bars lower worries me, so I'll take a "wait and see" attitude

Nov 10, 2003, 22:29
Re: One Step at a Time Nov 10, 2003, 22:29
Nov 10, 2003, 22:29

Spector: You know, if we had gone out of our way to do PC only, maybe we would have built bigger maps.

http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/september03/spector/

Oh come on, you missed the entire point of what he was saying. He said that if it was PC-only maybe they would have had bigger levels. MAYBE.

But he went on to say that Ion Storm made the game that they wanted to make, and made it for platforms that could support their gameplay. How much more money do you think they would have made if they made the game for the PS2? A lot. But they didn't, because the PS2 couldn't handle their game. The game is shipping on PC and Xbox because those are the only platforms that can handle DX:IW.

They chose the platforms to suit the game. They did not make the game to suit the platforms.

No subject
Nov 10, 2003, 21:49
No subject Nov 10, 2003, 21:49
Nov 10, 2003, 21:49

how cocky

i hope deus ex 2 doesn't do well to teach them a lesson

Love Dan
"Will you be my valentine?"
-Dan
ExcessDan

Nov 10, 2003, 21:41
Re: One Step at a Time Nov 10, 2003, 21:41
Nov 10, 2003, 21:41

KaptinGimpy,

While I can't be bothered to look it up, there have been a ton of interviews in which Spector has said EXACTLY the opposite, something I'm sure many people will attest to.

And, quite frankly, I wouldn't exactly herald gamespy as the source of all true and unbiased information anyways

I have good faith that it won't be noticeable. Then again, even if it would be, Deus Ex looked shit for its day, and I still herald it as the finest game ever. Although bigger maps / less level loads would have been nice.

Creston

All I can say is .....
Nov 10, 2003, 21:10
All I can say is ..... Nov 10, 2003, 21:10
Nov 10, 2003, 21:10

YEAAAAHHHHH BAYBEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Nov 10, 2003, 21:04
Re: One Step at a Time Nov 10, 2003, 21:04
Nov 10, 2003, 21:04

Actually, the Xbox has more level loads. So the PC still has the bigger levels.

The only arguments I've seen about the Xbox issue are kneejerk reactions and are completely illogical. For anyone who has concerns about the Xbox version 'ruining' the PC, I say this: read some previews/interviews and think before you bitch.

You might want to fill Warren Spector in on all your knowledge about his game, because he seems confused:

Spector: We started right at the outset wanting to make a game simultaneously for both the Xbox and the PC. So, what we did was we set the bar at the Xbox level -- the PC version is going to be different only in that it will support a different UI

Spector: You know, if we had gone out of our way to do PC only, maybe we would have built bigger maps.

http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/september03/spector/

No subject
Nov 10, 2003, 20:59
No subject Nov 10, 2003, 20:59
Nov 10, 2003, 20:59

Yeah I meant to say privateer 3, woops my memory is going. Actually privateer 2 was so disappointing I completely forgot about it I guess they started working at priv3 and then chris left origin/ea and they dumpped it.

I think Freelancer would have been a lot better if chris stayed on board but for some reason he left half way through the production. Well X2 is our last hope for a long long time for an open space sim, hopefully it won't disappoint.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Nov 10, 2003, 20:37
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Nov 10, 2003, 20:37
Nov 10, 2003, 20:37

MORE Deus Ex!!!!

Excuse me while I go clean my pants.

I love Warren. This doesn't exactly come as news, since he had said a few months ago that Ion Storm would keep making Deus Ex games as long as people wanted to play them (ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME!), but it's still nice to see that they're already planning the third one. Hopefully they won't have so much work implementing the engine and other goodies for the third, and can just focus more on content and story, preferably leading to a Xmas 2004 release

Warren, I'd like to put a pre-order in for Deus Ex 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 114 please.

As for the Xbox / PC deal, the only thing I'd be worried about is control scheme, since developers hardly ever go through the bother of designing a new control scheme for the PC when they have a console one (Rockstar being the sole exception I can think of), but the original Deus Ex had a very solid control scheme on the PSX2, so I'm confident that that isn't going to be an issue.

As for all other issues, there are none. Warren, Harvey and team have stated plenty of times that smaller Xbox memory means more level loads for the Xbox, and that the artwork / textures / models etc are available up to 1600x1200 for the PC.

Only three more weeks... I had fucking DREAMS about playing the next Deus Ex a few days ago. Excited? Nah.

Creston

(Yes, I'm a geek.)

Edit : Privateer 2? That game was made a LONG time ago (I'm thinking 1997'ish) by Erin Roberts, brother of Chris Roberts, and wasn't all that great. One redeeming feature was that you could rescue some hot chick in space, and when you meet up with her in a bar afterwards, she doesn't waste any time blabbering, and just goes straight to the swapping spit and sharing bedsheets. My kinda girl.

Other than that, the game was pretty much poopy. Stupidest idea of space ever, with some kind of "bubbles" that you had to jump to, weapons that were radically overpowered and a storyline that was... ehhh.. rather confusing.

Privateer 3, now THAT's talking, but I seriously doubt anything like it will ever happen. Freelancer was supposed to be the best bet, but it fell radically short.
Here's hoping X2 will be the biggidy bomb it seems to be.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 20:41.

Nov 10, 2003, 20:13
Re: One Step at a Time Nov 10, 2003, 20:13
Nov 10, 2003, 20:13

They've already admitted they had to make design changes (e.g. to the size of maps) due to limitations of the Xbox that they wouldn't have had to make if it were solely a PC game

Actually, the Xbox has more level loads. So the PC still has the bigger levels.

The only arguments I've seen about the Xbox issue are kneejerk reactions and are completely illogical. For anyone who has concerns about the Xbox version 'ruining' the PC, I say this: read some previews/interviews and think before you bitch.
This comment was edited on Nov 10, 20:14.

One Step at a Time
Nov 10, 2003, 18:55
One Step at a Time Nov 10, 2003, 18:55
Nov 10, 2003, 18:55

I need to make sure that they didn't totally screw up DX2 (and Thief 3 for that matter) in bringing it to the Xbox, before I get excited about DX3.

They've already admitted they had to make design changes (e.g. to the size of maps) due to limitations of the Xbox that they wouldn't have had to make if it were solely a PC game

Nov 10, 2003, 18:52
Re: No subject Nov 10, 2003, 18:52
Nov 10, 2003, 18:52

The ending of SS2 screamed for a sequel.

Nov 10, 2003, 17:40
Gog
Re: No subject Nov 10, 2003, 17:40
Nov 10, 2003, 17:40
Gog

This makes a SS3 as likely as Arafat and Sharon dancing together in Jerusalem

Yeah, Sharon is just too fat to be dancing in the streets - that would be an aweful sight - it will never happen

Not too mention Arafat triping over that huge lower lip of his, and I doubt Sharon would want his suit to be dirtied by Yassar's bloody hands.

No subject
Nov 10, 2003, 16:44
No subject Nov 10, 2003, 16:44
Nov 10, 2003, 16:44

Leave System Shock the hell alone!

Its two great games as it stands right now. Don't fuck it up by abusing the franchise! I'm looking at you Specter!

I swear, if anyone other than Specter was doing DX2, i'd have given up hope for it being a good game long ago.

Re: Ok....
Nov 10, 2003, 16:26
Re: Ok.... Nov 10, 2003, 16:26
Nov 10, 2003, 16:26

I'll wait till I hear it from the horse's mouth, but I'd kinda want them to finish the current one before they start thinking about the next one, but thats me, I kinda like my games finished. I'm weird that way.

Because they need story writers/directors/etc at every single stage of the development process?

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 16:26.

Nov 10, 2003, 16:25
Re: No subject Nov 10, 2003, 16:25
Nov 10, 2003, 16:25

Someone here mentioned that the IP that is SS was parceled out to several different companies. This makes a SS3 as likely as Arafat and Sharon dancing together in Jerusalem.

Hey, it can still happen. Look at Civ3- at one point Activision owned the name "Civilization" (bought from Avalon Hill), MicroProse owned the name "Civ" and Sid Meier owned the name "Sid Meier". Then MicroProse licenced the name "Civilization" again from the original british creators of the board game, sued Activision for the rights to the name, won, were promptly bought by Hasbro Interactive (now Atari (briefly Infogrames))* who then published the game designed by Sid's company Firaxis. Steaming turd of a game but at least it happened.

* Hasbro Interactive's then parent company Hasbro also bought Avalon Hill, thus ensuring the brand name stayed in the family forever. Although Hasbro Interactive was sold off to Infogrames and renamed Atari which makes it a bit more confusing.
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older