UT2004 in 2004

Though Epic Games' official policy regarding release dates has been "when it's done" since long before Unreal Tournament 2004 was announced, Atari sends along a note acknowledging that they were targeting the UT2003 follow-up for release before the end of this year, but that this goal has slipped. Here's what they have to say:
Atari and Epic Games announced today that the release date for Unreal Tournament 2004, the highly anticipated follow-up to last year's smash Unreal Tournament 2003, has been moved to February 2004.

The game was previously slated for release during the 2003 Holiday season.
View : : :
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Shataan
Nov 4, 2003, 07:58
Re: Shataan Nov 4, 2003, 07:58
Nov 4, 2003, 07:58

I hope Zeph gets reborn as a dung beatle.

Nov 1, 2003, 03:00
Re: Shataan Nov 1, 2003, 03:00
Nov 1, 2003, 03:00

Somebody is getting a tad wound... time to take a deep breath Zephalephelah. Why pay any attention to release dates? The game will be out when it's out. Until then it's just an exercise in frustration. For you anyway. Relax.

Well Spotted, duckmaster
Nov 1, 2003, 02:08
Well Spotted, duckmaster Nov 1, 2003, 02:08
Nov 1, 2003, 02:08

The post I sent in using my day-job persona was largely composed of an earlier post I did using this, my home persona, and another post I never did actually post, just composed.
It's not that I really wanted two user-IDs at Blues, but I just had one of those unmemorable passwords set for home use and couldn;t remember it at work, so I set up another ID. But we are Borg, trust me!

Oct 31, 2003, 20:27
Re: Shataan Oct 31, 2003, 20:27
Oct 31, 2003, 20:27

"I'm sick of these faggots getting our hopes up & then dashing them.
Faggots? Getting your hopes up? Ooookay. "

As in lesser human beings. As in the dung of humanity. As in a deformed creature. I mean, if they say they were born that way then it must be a deformity because a peg fits a slot a peg does not fit a peg so it is not normal therefore it is a birth defect.

Oct 31, 2003, 11:35
nin
Re: Shataan Oct 31, 2003, 11:35
Oct 31, 2003, 11:35
nin

Faggots? Getting your hopes up? Ooookay.

I wouldn't go there WarPig! Don't ask, don't tell!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.mindphaser.com/

Oct 31, 2003, 10:20
WarPig

Re: Shataan Oct 31, 2003, 10:20
 WarPig

I think we should spread the word & boycott Unreal Tournament 2004.

Yeah! Especially in my local area.

That way when the game comes out and I get to the stores late there'll be a copy waiting for me.

I'm sick of these faggots getting our hopes up & then dashing them.

Faggots? Getting your hopes up? Ooookay.

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

Re: lose the pacifier
Re: lose the pacifier Oct 31, 2003, 10:20

Their purpose is NOT just to inform gamers of a release - they have many other purposes as well. Purposes that have nothing to do with consumers.

Exactly. Just look at VU Games. On paper, for their investors and for a potential buyer of games devision end of this year (calendar, i'm not sure when their fiscal year ends, Q1 04?) looked real good financialy. Now they're desperate to have any game out by Christams.

Mike

lose the pacifier
Oct 31, 2003, 09:51
lose the pacifier Oct 31, 2003, 09:51
Oct 31, 2003, 09:51

You sir, have clearly not been initiated into the secret cult known as "the American Economy". These dates are what investors and other executives use to gauge all kinds of beancounter garbage. Their purpose is NOT just to inform gamers of a release - they have many other purposes as well. Purposes that have nothing to do with consumers.

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Oct 31, 2003, 09:14
Re: Shataan Oct 31, 2003, 09:14
Oct 31, 2003, 09:14

I think we should spread the word & boycott Unreal Tournament 2004.

FUCK THESE DEVELOPERS!

Get it right. Speak a date & get it the fuck done or just STFU!

Get it right. If you can't meet your deadline, then why in the fuck are you listing a deadline that you can't meet?

I say we fuck Epic over & give them the finger. I'm sick of these faggots getting our hopes up & then dashing them.

Re: duckmaster
Oct 31, 2003, 08:04
Re: duckmaster Oct 31, 2003, 08:04
Oct 31, 2003, 08:04

"someone will make a petition about game developers delaying games"

I can understand a delayed game, or 2. But when you look at the amount of delays this year alone, one has got to come to some kind of conclusion OTHER than this is a natural occurance and gamers should just put up and shutup.

Between vid card makers=nVidia who are botching their card deliveries, and doing it with OUR money no less, and Devs who just pull the strings on games of late like it is a fashion statement, what`s next?

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 08:06.

Oct 31, 2003, 03:41
Re: duckmaster Oct 31, 2003, 03:41
Oct 31, 2003, 03:41

If we take that to its logical conclusion, we could say that if you piss off enough people eventually they will act.

That is certainly true. Every material has a breaking point.

Vandalising speed enforcement cameras is a matter of obeying or disobeying the law. It's not quite the same as boycotting a game and / or games developer.

I think some games are being boycotted "naturaly" without the process being named as such. Just a matter of choice. Competition between developers. And that's where it gets complicated. On one hand games are getting more complex, take longer to make, are more likely to contain bugs and of course the cost is spiraling = someone has to front the cash --> publisher. On the other hand the number of publishers whose pockets are deep enough to pay for projects like HL 2 (i'm aware that HL 2 is self funded by Valve) is decreasing. That shifts developers focus from creating the product they envision, asuring the quality they're happy with and maintaining decency in marketing ("telling it like it is" - good relations with gamer-customer community) to getting the best possible deal with the publisher. And here's the problem - publishers want best possible return on their investment - game has to be on the shelves when its likely to sell most units (before Christmas), game has to be "what sells or is predicted to sell" great (similar to games that sell big). We all know the end result - rushed games that are patched over and over, games that could have been so much more with a bit more innovation (often what the developer originaly intended), games that slip by their official release dates or are simply canned (damage limitation for publisher).

All of the above is why i believe that the underlying idea behind Steam is a solution (at least a temporary one, but that's a different matter - more consolidation and less competition yet again). It allows developers to circumvent the publishers once they've made a name for themselves.

Anyways, that's my take on things.

BTW. why did you put CoD in there? After all its out on time, so far seems to be what was promised and there's no information of any issues with it (at least yet). This one will most likely be rewarded by selling lots . I'm definately buying one the moment its available here.

Mike

Oct 31, 2003, 02:27
Re: duckmaster Oct 31, 2003, 02:27
Oct 31, 2003, 02:27

Ok, let's say you hit the nail on the head & people just like to complain.

If we take that to its logical conclusion, we could say that if you piss off enough people eventually they will act.

For instance, in good ol' Great Britain there are way too many survelliance cameras. I read once that the average guy going to work drives & walks past 400 cameras. One of the worst kinds of cameras is the speed enforcement cameras. The brits call these things Weapons of Mass Persecution & they are starting to sabotage them, even bomb them.

Eventually someone will make a petition about game developers delaying games or making umpteen patches, and I'm thinking that eventually a game will be boycotted. While it is impossible to get the whole community together on anything, the internet is a very powerful tool & without it, gamers could never organize.

Now let's say that enough gamers organize a boycott so that it puts out a message to the developers to quit lying to the public, or whatever it is you'd like to call it. Let's say that its only 5%. But consider, that could be as many as a million gamers. I think that if I were a developer & I saw such a huge loss because of gamers organizing against devloper bullshit that I would change my company's strategy. I would cushion my release dates & pay better attention to beta-testing.

I don't know. Maybe it will never happen. But it seems to me that the more developers pull this shit, the more people get sick of it. Yes I'll still buy halflife2. But with lesser games, like UT2K4 or Call of Duty, I really don't mind waiting a few weeks or months & buying it for 1/2 price on ebay. I think that's the real issue. Choices and possibilities are opening all the time in our digital world. I think even the little gamer can make a difference.

Re: Release Dates
Oct 31, 2003, 01:30
Re: Release Dates Oct 31, 2003, 01:30
Oct 31, 2003, 01:30

IMO Episode 3 is a lost cause. Probably if it came out early some people would argue that it would have been a better movie (most likely not... ) had Lucas spent more time on it.

As for HL 2, well it missed a release date already so if Valve announced a "before Christmas" release now and missed it again lots of gamers would be upset. Then again if they did make it before 24.12 but game contained some bugs (not many games don't on release) then You get same situation as with Episode 3 example above.

My point is - people just like to complain - it makes them feel better about themselves, makes them feel like they did something about whatever it is they're complaining about instead of actually doing it. Its easier to complain then to take action, especially a constructive one.

Mike

Oct 31, 2003, 00:36
Re: Release Dates Oct 31, 2003, 00:36
Oct 31, 2003, 00:36

"First people would bitch and whine about having to wait 2 more years and then in 2004 they'd bitch and whine that its early."

WHAT?
You sir need to break that crackpipe.
4 years ago, the public was told about Lord of the Rings. This means that they had to wait 4 years to see the entire movie.
8 years ago, the public was told about Star Wars Episode 1-3. This means that they had to wait 10 years to see the episodes.

And who would whine if Episode 3 came out early? Who would bitch if Valve announced that HL-2 would be out before Christmas?

Break that crackpipe & come back to reality.

Re: Paully's Patches
Oct 31, 2003, 00:05
Re: Paully's Patches Oct 31, 2003, 00:05
Oct 31, 2003, 00:05

I think the gaming industry needs a wakeup call & I believe that the gamers are going to revolt with a boycott against a big title & damage a company financially to send out a message. Something's going to happen sometime, and I'm not talking about hacker idiots either, but that's part of it too. People are getting fed up with shotty, sloppy work. It's starting to show from the players themselves.

Wrong again. Nothing is going to happen for several reasons. Major one being the fact that most gamers are like sheep led to a slaughterhouse - they don't want to go but they just follow the flow.
Mike

edit: an example - lots of people complain about all things Half-Life 2; majority of them will buy it, even if at the moment they're saying they wont.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 00:22.

Re: Not only release-dates bug me
Oct 31, 2003, 00:00
Re: Not only release-dates bug me Oct 31, 2003, 00:00
Oct 31, 2003, 00:00

If my memory serves me right i read this exact same post before and You are not its original author.

Oct 30, 2003, 23:58
Re: Release Dates Oct 30, 2003, 23:58
Oct 30, 2003, 23:58

Let’s say Valve had said from the start, in May of this year at E3, that Half-Life 2 would be available in June 2005. We would have been resigned to wait, and then check this out, they release it a whole year early in June 2004. Instead of being bozos, they would have been heroes!

I think You're wrong. First people would bitch and whine about having to wait 2 more years and then in 2004 they'd bitch and whine that its early.

Mike

Re: Paully's Patches
Oct 30, 2003, 23:08
Re: Paully's Patches Oct 30, 2003, 23:08
Oct 30, 2003, 23:08

39. "I am truly heartily sick and tired of endless patches to the engine being the norm in the gaming industry."

Yes, that's another thing. Who the hell oversees beta-testing? What are they doing, buying a bunch of the same computers & simply testing game play? I think every developer compnay should have a beta-testing room which is updated occasionally to reflect the systems that are out there in the real world (different mainboards, processors, video cards, harddrives, everything). Then don't ask their beta-testers to play it, they can play it when its done like everyone else. Tell them to break it. Ask them to jump into corners, hit ALT-Space-B-z-p, drive a vehicle into spawn point, change video modes while in the game, alt-tab, play with a joystick, no mouse, a tracball. Break that fucking game in as many ways as you can & discover bugs before it hits the streets.

Sometimes a game will come out & you'll play it & wonder what the fuck the beta-testers were thinking. Jedi Knight Outcast had the lamest fucking puzzles ever. You'd end up running around for an hour wondering what the fuck the developer wanted you to do. For a whole 1/4 of the game you didn't even have force powers. Now Academy is out & the fun is back in. But how come those sissy little bitch beta testers didn't do their jobs and speak up? I wrote Raven & they told me to do a review of the levels, tell me what I liked & didn't. Why didn't the beta testers tell them what was wrong?

I tell you, the gaming industry is getting sloppy. How would you like to go to get a computer chair and it wasn't there? Then when it does show up, it doesn't have one of the arms. I think the gaming industry needs a wakeup call & I believe that the gamers are going to revolt with a boycott against a big title & damage a company financially to send out a message. Something's going to happen sometime, and I'm not talking about hacker idiots either, but that's part of it too. People are getting fed up with shotty, sloppy work. It's starting to show from the players themselves.

Re: No subject
Oct 30, 2003, 22:39
Re: No subject Oct 30, 2003, 22:39
Oct 30, 2003, 22:39

One Must Fall: Battle Grounds is coming out before the holidays.

Oct 30, 2003, 22:22
Re: Release Dates Oct 30, 2003, 22:22
Oct 30, 2003, 22:22

KIRK:
How much refit time till we can take her out again?

SCOTTY
Eight weeks, sir.
(as Kirk opens his mouth)
But you don't have eight weeks so I'll do it for ya in two.

KIRK (considers)
Mr. Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?

SCOTTY
Certainly, sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older