MMO Trials

Funcom sends along an announcement: "The critically acclaimed and award-winning Shadowlands expansion pack is now available as a part of Funcom’s Free 7 Day Trial for Anarchy Online. Now players from all over the world can download the entire Anarchy Online universe and try it without any commitment for seven full days." The trial version can be downloaded from this page, and here's a bit on the content the expansion for their science fiction MMORPG, which has: "introduced 20 large playfields, 40 smaller playfield areas, and over 165 distinct dungeon zones tailored to players of all levels. An impressive range of new features, including new professions, faction system, hundreds of perks, better AI, hundreds of monsters and items, new music and a greatly updated graphics engine ensured a gigantic addition to what was already an award-winning game. Shadowlands doesn’t take any of the trademark gameplay away, but greatly expands a fantastic virtual world." Likewise, Palestar sends word of another promotion for DarkSpace, their MMO space game, where: "all new player accounts now receive a coupon for 5 free days after the account has been activated. No credit card is required, just a valid email address. This enables full access to all servers and the ability to gain rank and prestige."
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

No subject
Oct 26, 2003, 22:47
No subject Oct 26, 2003, 22:47
Oct 26, 2003, 22:47

when I last played SWG, which was in the beta, crafting was a total joke in my opinion. Yeah, sure the mechanics were deep and complex and immersive and blah blah blah.

but so what? there was no market for newbie craftables, it degenerated into a total grind where you made a thousand bofa treats and immediately destroyed them purely for the XP.

has any of that been fixed?

I was really hoping SWG would cater to the casual gamers like myself like they promised...but oh no, it isnt to be because you're totally screwed unless you're there on the first day playing for 20 hours straight or whatever.

which is another big reason why MMOs will be a big turn off for me for the forseeable future. I simply can't compete, I actually have a life and can't afford to virtually live in-game. which is usually what is required to be a success in MMOs

AO DL?
Oct 25, 2003, 21:39
Nyl
AO DL? Oct 25, 2003, 21:39
Oct 25, 2003, 21:39
Nyl

Am I the only one unable to download the installer .exe for the AO trial? I just get a page not found. Been doing that all day. I guess if Funcom doesn't want a chance to hook another paying subscriber that's fine with me...

-Nyl

Re: No subject
Oct 25, 2003, 10:32
Re: No subject Oct 25, 2003, 10:32
Oct 25, 2003, 10:32

Hell, I've stopped smoking cigarettes and started exercising regularly since getting into massive multiplayers, seems a fair trade of vices to me. The climb up the rungs of power gets really long monotonous and lonely if you go at it alone. Making ego concessions in a team will get you further faster and jolt your emotional meter more. Which should be seen in the light of the fact that the fastest and most reliable 'quick session' method (solo missions) doesn't let you readily tap off the benefits of being in a team. There are plenty of other windows of opportunity that you can window-shop though, AO's chat manager is a unique & powerful beastie.

In any case, AO remains the MMO that's most readily capable of dividing goals at short enough intervals that you can get in and out quickly and come away with progression every time. The fast-paced play style is a hallmark that Marius, the next AO game director, intends to vitalize further. The intellectual transfer across states, nations and time zones is a pull for me personally, though localisation remains a challenge.

Happy United Nations day!

Edit: Link to index of Shadowlands reviews (average = 88'ish) http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/game/shadowlands/reviews/

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 10:49.

Oct 25, 2003, 04:25
Re: No subject Oct 25, 2003, 04:25
Oct 25, 2003, 04:25

Suckered into SWG too, friend said it was like having an mmog of Kansas and he was dead right.

The latest rash of the big name mmogs are cater to the crafting at the major expense of all other avenues of fun. Horizon's is very much in this vein too, if you aren't into crafting, go play something else. Now I hear EQ2 bragging about how player made items will be the best in game and there's a craftsman class.... /sigh

AO has the best way. Crafting is insanely difficult, but far from necessary. Crafting there is another game within the game, as it should be. If you don't want to craft, then don't. There's no huge disadvantage to not crafting whereas in games like DAOC, you'll suck hardcore if you avoid it.

I'll go as far as to say that AO is the best mmporg out there currently, I'm glad they never abandoned it.

Oct 24, 2003, 21:41
Re: No subject Oct 24, 2003, 21:41
Oct 24, 2003, 21:41

4 million Koreans can't be wrong, can they?

Sure they can, I've been to Souel...Suoel...Seuol...Seoul... oh hell, I've been to Korea. It's a little cramped...

Oct 24, 2003, 19:47
Re: No subject Oct 24, 2003, 19:47
Oct 24, 2003, 19:47

"The next MMORPG on the horizon I'm even remotely interested in is Face of Mankind"

I got so sucked into the SWG hype - I refuse to do it to myself again. I keep circling around the Lineage II site tho...

4 million Koreans can't be wrong, can they?

DIYMMORPG
Oct 24, 2003, 18:13
DIYMMORPG Oct 24, 2003, 18:13
Oct 24, 2003, 18:13

I like that acronym

I remember seeing a banner ad for just such an engine, VoodooV. Can't remember the name, but it's out there, although it was probably for commercial license, not personal use.

Also, the reason you're not seeing lots of homemade entries is due to the considerable cost and time associated with making a persistent world using modern 3D graphics. An all text MUD back in the day, you could have done as a side project in a month. I also think that's why you see a lot of text-heavy MMOGs, it takes a lot of effort to put a graphical touch to information.

Oct 24, 2003, 18:12
Re: No subject Oct 24, 2003, 18:12
Oct 24, 2003, 18:12

These games cater to mental illness.

LOL....

The next MMORPG on the horizon I'm even remotely interested in is Face of Mankind which looks like Neocron done right (or one would hope).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Oct 24, 2003, 14:28
Re: No subject Oct 24, 2003, 14:28
Oct 24, 2003, 14:28

"Kinda makes me wonder how many people play games, not for the fun of it, but just so that they can say they beat it or have a top level character or whatever. obsessive compulsive or whatever."

These games cater to mental illness. You have to be obsessive compulsive to be a success at them. We've all read the articles and heard the stories about people ruining their lives playing these things day after day. Sooner or later one of these companies will be sued in much the same manner as the cigarette manufacturers have been sued. They've clearly developed a product that promotes and encourages unhealthy behavior.

Now if you'll excuse me, my guild is launching a raid against Gigantess, Rat of the Squeek. With any luck I'll get my +30 boots of the insomniac today! Woot!

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 19:48.

Re: SWG?
Oct 24, 2003, 13:21
Re: SWG? Oct 24, 2003, 13:21
Oct 24, 2003, 13:21

But I want to try it!

I won't buy it unless I've tried it first, and don't give me the "first month is free" speech. I still have to pay for the game.

Oct 24, 2003, 12:35
Re: No subject Oct 24, 2003, 12:35
Oct 24, 2003, 12:35

The closest thing you are looking for right now is of course Neverwinter Nights. If only Bioware would acknowledge that people wish to set up persistent world servers. A few tweaks in that area would help so much, but they insist that the game is not for persistent worlds.

No subject
Oct 24, 2003, 12:30
No subject Oct 24, 2003, 12:30
Oct 24, 2003, 12:30

I'm suprised SWG is doing so well. I played the beta, it was an ok game, but certainly not worth the high monthly fee in my opinion. Kinda hard to believe people are that desparate to be in the SW universe.

Kinda makes me wonder how many people play games, not for the fun of it, but just so that they can say they beat it or have a top level character or whatever. obsessive compulsive or whatever.

No subject
Oct 24, 2003, 12:19
No subject Oct 24, 2003, 12:19
Oct 24, 2003, 12:19

well, it would help if someone could make a "do it yourself MMO" game kinda like how MU*'s were back in the day. where you just downloaded your own copy of MU* code and made your OWN game of it. Right now we can only play 3D MMO games when the big developers like Sony make them. so there are relatively few of them so they get crowded. Back in the day there were quite literally hundreds of different MUDs, MUSHs, MUSEs MUCKs MOOs etc. So it was just a matter of finding the one that had the theme and the playerbase that fit you.

granted you had to know C back then if you really wanted to take advantage of it. but people did it, there were tons of different Star Wars, Star Trek, Battletech, Shadowrun, D&D, White Wolf, you name it, universes to choose from.

Maybe thats just what i'm waiting for: a custom MMO engine so that any joe blow with some programming experience can make their own MMO game so we have more variety and different playerbases.

I'm tired of playing MMOs and fighting against 10 year olds. its a no win situation. Currently, MMOs are no different from the mouse repetitively hitting the bar for food...boorrrring.

Re: SWG?
Oct 24, 2003, 11:59
Bronco

Re: SWG? Oct 24, 2003, 11:59
Oct 24, 2003, 11:59
 Bronco

Now why can't SOE release an SWG trial like this?

I would guess two reasons:

• They don't have too.

• If they did they would not be able to handle the load of new users

Using my wizard points for the day.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

Re: What the heck
Oct 24, 2003, 11:56
Re: What the heck Oct 24, 2003, 11:56
Oct 24, 2003, 11:56

Furious: no, PvP is relegated to certain areas (including arenas in some towns). You and your org can also take part in 'tower battles' which are much larger-scale things.

I'm loving AO, been at it for four months now. I agree with the maturity comments, but I have to say the player-base is (in general) much more considerate and adult than other on-line games I've played.

Oct 24, 2003, 11:51
Re: No subject Oct 24, 2003, 11:51
Oct 24, 2003, 11:51

it has nothing to do with age and everything to do with the ease with which people are able to get on the net. Getting on the net used to be difficult and/or expensive. it is neither of these things anymore.

EDIT: well, maybe it has a little to do with age...

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 11:58.

SWG?
Oct 24, 2003, 11:44
SWG? Oct 24, 2003, 11:44
Oct 24, 2003, 11:44

Now why can't SOE release an SWG trial like this?

No subject
Oct 24, 2003, 11:34
No subject Oct 24, 2003, 11:34
Oct 24, 2003, 11:34

The problem with multiplayer games is that there are other people playing them.

the idea is great on paper, but until the average maturity of your typical MMO gamer rises, MMO games end up being nothing more than a big headache and pointless time sink.

online gaming was great, until the internet hit mainstream. prior to that, you knew that everyone online was at least over the age of 18, and there were few exceptions. There were just fewer pricks around. I'm not saying age is the sole determination of maturity, but you can't ignore that its a pretty big factor.

Oct 24, 2003, 11:27
Re: What the heck Oct 24, 2003, 11:27
Oct 24, 2003, 11:27

Is AO total PvP?

Oct 24, 2003, 11:08
Re: What the heck Oct 24, 2003, 11:08
Oct 24, 2003, 11:08

I've been having a blast. I'm glad I took a chance and picked up Shadowlands. Didn't play AO until Shadowlands was released, but I'm loving it. Too bad the bad launch of AO turned some people off. It's worth giving it another look, IMO.

tapes 'n' tapes
tapes 'n' tapes
tapes 'n' tapes
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older