Ships Ahoy - UFO & Massive Assault

"Matrix Games is pleased to announce that Massive Assault by Wargaming.Net has completed production, is shipping and will be available in the next few days through major software retailers and online stores." Word is: "Massive Assault utilizes Wargaming.net’s high-performance 3D engine giving revolutionary look and feel to a turn based global-scale game. Gameplay is smooth and easy-to-learn, while set in a dynamic strategic environment where the tide can turn time and again...Units include a variety of ground forces, ranging from reconnaissance to heavy mechs; air forces, including fighters and bombers; and naval forces, including carriers and battleships. When liberating new continents, you will learn to coordinate huge naval landing operations, involving carrier battle groups, naval bombardments and air power. These and other challenges await you in Massive Assault!" Also, "Matrix Games is pleased to announce that Eric Young’s Squad Assault: West Front by Freedom Games has completed production, is shipping and will be available for purchase in the next few days through major software retailers and online stores." Finally, the North American version of UFO: Aftermath has shipped. Here's a bit:
UFO: Aftermath is a 3D-tactical/strategy title with a rich and compelling sci-fi story. The title Combines global strategy with small squad based tactical combat against an alien invasion. Featuring run time generated tactical missions with innovative simultaneous combat action; the genre is also enhanced with strong RPG elements, offering quite a unique mix of strategic ideas.

The cleverly devised RPG element allows the player to develop their soldier’s abilities as they gain more experience. Their skills are derived from certain statistics, and each point that is delegated to the following attributes will have a noticeable effect on that soldier’s skills: strength, agility, dexterity, willpower, intelligence, and perception. The strategy feature of this game is essentially how you decide to manage your bases, interceptions, and squads. Territory is power in the game - the more you control, the better your interceptor coverage. The faster you research, the better your chances. The tactical aspect of the game comes into play during the ground based assaults against aliens and mutants for the control of territories. Once you succeed, you can decide what type of base you want: research, military, manufacture or biomass repulsion.
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

No subject
Oct 23, 2003, 13:50
No subject Oct 23, 2003, 13:50
Oct 23, 2003, 13:50

I wish Aftermath weren't really hard and not as good as XCom...

Re: No subject
Oct 23, 2003, 14:17
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2003, 14:17
Oct 23, 2003, 14:17

Yeah... I think it needs a lot of AI work before it'll really be fun to play instead of just frustrating.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Re: No subject
Oct 23, 2003, 16:19
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2003, 16:19
Oct 23, 2003, 16:19

sadly aftermath is pretty horrible..i wrote a pretty good review for it on shacknews.com...i was really looking forward to it too sigh..the biggest fuck up i think was their insistance on using a 3d engine yet then doing nothing that required it likeing mutiple levels in buildings or fox hole type craters or anything like that :p another case of marketing deciding what features a game should have instead of the players.

No subject
Oct 23, 2003, 17:57
No subject Oct 23, 2003, 17:57
Oct 23, 2003, 17:57

its not a horrible game, its decent, its just not groundbreaking or anything spectacular.

Everyone is too busy comparing it to X-com to see it though.

its pretty simple really. UFO is not X-Com and X-Com is not UFO. end of lesson.

Re: No subject #4
Oct 23, 2003, 20:04
Re: No subject #4 Oct 23, 2003, 20:04
Oct 23, 2003, 20:04

I agree... UFO:Aftermath is a good game. But most people can't seem to stop whinning about it not being a total remake of an X-Com game long enough to just play it. I never played them and I don't care that it isn't a remake of an X-Com from a few decades back with new graphics.

As far as 3D goes it makes perfect sense to be a 3D game where you use terrain and buildings as cover. Yeah, it would have been nice to go into buildings besides the base levels but that doesn't break the game. It's still a great play.

There is enough tactics in the game as is. That's what gets you through the tough spots. Though at times the aliens spawn in locations that give them free reign and they can wipe out your squad quickly if you don't get moving.

I am happy with it so far and would give it an 85%, though I haven't finished it yet. Just give the game a shot as UFO:Aftermath not X-Com:UFO Aftermath.

Oct 24, 2003, 03:51
Re: No subject #4 Oct 24, 2003, 03:51
Oct 24, 2003, 03:51

I played up until my squad was about to get spacebourne and quit because of an overwhelming feeling of "blah...so what" about the game. After you select your weapon load on the squad screen and make sure you have at least one guy with a psi projector, what tactics do you use in a mission? Some cunning blend of stealth, backed up with a heavy weapons crew to mop up survivors? Carefully laid mines with your team set for crossfire when they're triggered? Or do you mass fire all your men on one alien at a time, while using your psi guys to disarm them? I'm back playing Fallout Tactics - it's not perfect but the level design is INTERESTING. The random maps in U:A are just frustrating and not varied enough.

Oct 24, 2003, 08:30
Re: No subject #4 Oct 24, 2003, 08:30
Oct 24, 2003, 08:30

You know whats real ironic about this.
When the sequel for the original xcom came out.. called terrors of the deep.. EVERYONE complained that it was too much like the original. The game basically was the same just different enviroments and weapons / gear. Now that they made something different people are complaying that its not like the original.

Sigh.. people will never be happy..

I like the original.. but try playing it for more than a few hours and tell yourself honestly how much you like the original engine.

Oct 24, 2003, 08:52
Re: No subject #4 Oct 24, 2003, 08:52
Oct 24, 2003, 08:52

Personally I never played any of the originals, but isn't one of the problems that they faithfully copied aspects of the X-com games but left out other aspects with nothing to replace them. I played Ufo for a few hours a night for around a week before getting sick of it. I was left with the same feeling I had with Dungeon Siege - it looked fine, it did what it said it would do but there wasn't any real depth to engage me. It's not an awful game it's just very annoying that it could have been a great game and might yet be if they patch it extensively (unlikely), but like 90% of people who played U:A, I'm more impressed with the DEMO of Silent Storm than the whole U:A game. Come on, a tactical combat game that has no crawling or cover?

No subject
Oct 24, 2003, 09:16
No subject Oct 24, 2003, 09:16
Oct 24, 2003, 09:16

UFO is a peice of shit - end of lesson

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Silent Storm ....
Oct 24, 2003, 09:20
Silent Storm .... Oct 24, 2003, 09:20
Oct 24, 2003, 09:20

Oh, yeah! Silent Storm is a great demo. Only problems are the nades only go 15 feet max.

And a few line of sight fog of war issues on occasion. But over all the game will be awesome. I have alredy ordered a copy from the UK.

Though I am starting to wonder now if the delay is truth or not. Has anyone been following it closely? I have not...

Re: Silent Storm ....
Oct 24, 2003, 09:33
nin

Re: Silent Storm .... Oct 24, 2003, 09:33
Oct 24, 2003, 09:33
 nin

I have alredy ordered a copy from the UK.

Paranoid, are you in the US? If so, where's a good place to oder from in the UK? I'm looking for Gunmetal, as I really enjoyed the demo...

Thanks!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.loopz.co.uk/

UFO Demo
Oct 24, 2003, 10:31
UFO Demo Oct 24, 2003, 10:31
Oct 24, 2003, 10:31

For once I agree with the detractors. I tried the UFO demo and walked away very, very disappointed. The only real similarity this game has to X-Com is it's interface. It lacks the feel, the setup, the gameplay, the atmosphere, and virtually everything else about X-Com that made it great.

It reminds me deeply of a talk I heard from one of the original authors of C++ when asked about java. He said "Well, the only thing they really stole was my structure. And to be honest, my structure wasn't that good in the first place."

It's a noble attempt, but the world is still waiting for a great successor to the classic.

No subject
Oct 24, 2003, 10:49
No subject Oct 24, 2003, 10:49
Oct 24, 2003, 10:49

I never said it was a great game, i'm only defending it from the fucktards that complain that it isn't X-Com...well no shit!

Yeah, I don't really care for the lack of tactics either. mass firing on one alien at a time is the only thing to do, because otherwise the aliens completely outmatch your squad if you split up.

The base management and ufo interception is oversimplistic and non-interactive. having only one squad and one chopper is stupid. having teleport capability from base to base is also very dumb in my opinion.

Despite those flaws. I'm still enjoying the game. I like the story and I like climbing the research tree

The problem is when you're going through a period where there are many great games out there competing for your buck. lesser games get shat on even more..I'm sorry, but the only thing they are guilty of is bad timing. If this game had been finished 6 months earlier, it would have been received much better.

its not a great game, but it isn't bad either.

Oct 24, 2003, 14:49
Re: Silent Storm .... Oct 24, 2003, 14:49
Oct 24, 2003, 14:49

This is my first import so I hope it goes well. I got to tell you most of the retailers will not ship to the US even some that list shipping rates to the US won't ship here. (?)

http://www.sps-systems.co.uk/trolleyed/141/

http://www.duchet.com/

Try this first one they took my order for Silent Storm and I bet even with shipping cost I will pay less and get it faster via them. Only problem is they are not as large a retailer so they do not have a huge inventory of games.

Good luck.

Oct 24, 2003, 17:20
nin

Re: Silent Storm .... Oct 24, 2003, 17:20
Oct 24, 2003, 17:20
 nin

Thanks!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.loopz.co.uk/
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer