Out of the Blue

I have to make a trip to Dr. Toothy today to follow-up on that tooth I cracked a couple of weeks ago... he says it's a minor thing, so here's hoping he's right. On the other hand, a change in plans has taken place, and we will not be traveling to the coast for a wedding this weekend, so today's minor interruption is on track, but this weekend's disruption has been disrupted.

Play Time: Google Sets. Thanks Bronco.
Link of the Day: Britney Spears spelling correction. Thanks SecretAgentMan.
Stories of the Day: Fat Americans getting even fatter & Low-carb dieters eat more, lose weight & Fat phobia study reveals weighty attitudes.
Wanted: Malaysia seeks cosmonaut.
Cloning Remains a Meaty Issue.
Science!: Coffee 'boosts male fertility'. Thanks AC.
Foetus with three parents created.
Super-Radar, Done Dirt Cheap.
Auctions of the Day: Original Mustang Ranch Building & Rights, NV. Thanks Dan Leadbetter.
C3PO Figurine - Excellent Shape!!! Thanks Pailhead.
Follow-up: China Sends Man Into Orbit, Entering U.S.-Russian Club (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: AOL ad has got to go
Oct 16, 2003, 09:44
Re: AOL ad has got to go Oct 16, 2003, 09:44
Oct 16, 2003, 09:44

Thank you both! (plus to anyone else who posts the fix again) I do have XP, and those ads were crashing my MMORPGs and such, making them a big headache. And again thanks for the recommendation of Firebird. If either of you need a favor, y'know, car fixed, driveway shoveled, government overthrown, etc. please let me know!

-- Nothing is black, nor is it white. If you think you've found something that isn't shades of grey, I can recommend a good optometrist. --

Oct 16, 2003, 09:35
Enahs

Re: AOL ad has got to go Oct 16, 2003, 09:35
 Enahs

At the risk of seeming a complete moron, would this get rid of those damn annoying pop-up dialog box messages that I get about once a day, or is there some other way to get rid of those?

Umm, Are you talking about when you get those, that are AD's, even when IE is closed?
As shown here
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/using/howto/communicate/version45/images/msgr_spam_01.jpg

If so, go here for instructions on how to disable Microsofts messenger service(it is a POS and waste of system resources anyways).
http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger_service_popups.htm

If that is not what you are talking about, holler at us again, maybe in the latest OotB if this one has gone the way of the do-do bird!

P.S. Firebird is great! If you just download the file, and not the install exe you have to add something to the sys registry for plug-ins to install correctly, let me know if you have any trouble with that (odds are though, you downloaded the installing exe, not just the zip)

Other troubles can come about trying to install plug-ins as well, just ask for help here! As it is well worth the trouble!

*EDIT*
Haha Bronco and me posted same thing, on same minute!
The best part is you can decide on a site by site basis who to block and who not to block
BTW, Mozilla, Firebird, Hell, I think every browser BUT IE can do that built in
_____
Enahs

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 09:37.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Bronco

Re: AOL ad has got to go Oct 16, 2003, 09:35
 Bronco

At the risk of seeming a complete moron, would this get rid of those damn annoying pop-up dialog box messages that I get about once a day, or is there some other way to get rid of those?

What OS are you running XP?

If so:

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

Great advice, I'm downloading Firebird now myself... just want to ask one question...

I find the Google 2.0 toolbar to be a great weapon against ads:

http://toolbar.google.com/

The best part is you can decide on a site by site basis who to block and who not to block. While they are annoying I let the ads fly on this site. Sites I don't care about financially I block.

edit - add link for google toolbar.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 09:36.
-TPFKAS2S

Oct 16, 2003, 09:08
Re: AOL ad has got to go Oct 16, 2003, 09:08
Oct 16, 2003, 09:08

Great advice, I'm downloading Firebird now myself... just want to ask one question...

-- Nothing is black, nor is it white. If you think you've found something that isn't shades of grey, I can recommend a good optometrist. --

Re: Coffee 'boosts male fertility'.
Oct 16, 2003, 00:45
Re: Coffee 'boosts male fertility'. Oct 16, 2003, 00:45
Oct 16, 2003, 00:45

" Coffee is good for fertility. "
dont forgot you can smoke some pot to offset that effect of coffee.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 00:46.

Re: Sucks...
Oct 15, 2003, 23:51
WarPig

Re: Sucks... Oct 15, 2003, 23:51
Oct 15, 2003, 23:51
 WarPig

to be a Cubs fan.

Well, at least you still have the Bears!

Sorry... that was low. The Cubs were the last team I could really root for this year. That was truly painful to watch, I feel bad for all the die-hard Cub fans out there.

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

Re: Coffee 'boosts male fertility'.
Oct 15, 2003, 23:38
Re: Coffee 'boosts male fertility'. Oct 15, 2003, 23:38
Oct 15, 2003, 23:38

Just to clarify:

Coffee is good for fertility.
Pizza prevents cancer.
Beer is good for you.
Masturbation helps prevent testicular cancer (or some kind of cancer).
Sex is great exercise.

Yeehaw!

Currently playing: ARMA 3 mods and DayZ

Sucks...
Oct 15, 2003, 23:35
Sucks... Oct 15, 2003, 23:35
Oct 15, 2003, 23:35

to be a Cubs fan.

Currently playing: ARMA 3 mods and DayZ

Re: Google Sets
Oct 15, 2003, 23:08
Enahs

Re: Google Sets Oct 15, 2003, 23:08
Oct 15, 2003, 23:08
 Enahs

Ever seen one of those knee replacement surgeries on TV?

You described some of my home movies!

_____
Enahs
- W. C. Fields

Oct 15, 2003, 22:40
Re: Google Sets Oct 15, 2003, 22:40
Oct 15, 2003, 22:40

btw good luck on the cracked tooth.. mine ended with a root canal.. oh joys the fun of modern stone age..you should SEE some of the tools that guy used..

Ever seen one of those knee replacement surgeries on TV? In all honesty, I'd want a damn tool and die maker in there instead of the doctor....

Oh, and getting in late on the SE PA discussion....Exton here, Chester County...

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 22:45.
--------------------------------------------------
Kiss my shiny metal ass

Oct 15, 2003, 20:11
Re: Google Sets Oct 15, 2003, 20:11
Oct 15, 2003, 20:11

t'was only a matter of time before somebody did it,..

------
Marketing, The New Religion!!
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Google Sets
Oct 15, 2003, 19:07
Google Sets Oct 15, 2003, 19:07
Oct 15, 2003, 19:07

worked great.. check it
http://labs.google.com/sets?hl=en&q1=dildo&q2=condom&q3=whip&q4=leather&q5=vibrator&btn=Large+Set

btw good luck on the cracked tooth.. mine ended with a root canal.. oh joys the fun of modern stone age..

you should SEE some of the tools that guy used..

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 19:10.

Oct 15, 2003, 18:33
Re: AOL ad has got to go Oct 15, 2003, 18:33
Oct 15, 2003, 18:33

No, anon posting isn't back. Someone just has a nick that looks like an anon poster.

Re: Max 2
Oct 15, 2003, 18:17
Enahs

Re: Max 2 Oct 15, 2003, 18:17
Oct 15, 2003, 18:17
 Enahs

'm a spoiled gamer though and im bitching cuz i have to practice my UT skills for my G4 Arena appereance tommorrow and won't get to play much more than a couple hours later tonight.

Will you be playing under snide?
And when will that episode air, I want to see your UT skills, to know if I should start making fun of you or not

_____
Enahs
- W. C. Fields

Oct 15, 2003, 17:51
Re: AOL ad has got to go Oct 15, 2003, 17:51
Oct 15, 2003, 17:51

Hey, anonymous posting is back? When did that happen?

RE: Mozilla Firebird

Exactly, I love Firebird. I just started using it two days ago after using IE for years. The original Mozilla suite turned me off to it because it was all bloated with stuff I didn't want. But Firebird is great, just the browser with some great features, plus it's really fast.

RE: Dentist

I just had two porcelain/metal crowns put on my first bottom molars on either side because of excessive wear and one had a crack from a previous filling. They look just like real teeth, except if you look close you can see part of the metal section along the base of it near the gumline, only on the inside (towards tongue). The only bad part is that the dentist has to grind/shape the existing tooth to get a good fit for the crown, but at least I got some nitrous!
----
Some people risk to employ me...
Some people live to destroy me...
...Either way, they die.

Oct 15, 2003, 17:39
nin

Re: Max 2 Oct 15, 2003, 17:39
Oct 15, 2003, 17:39
 nin

I really do think Remedy has the best texture artists in the biz, the world just feels real from the shine of max's leather jacket to the skinmaps on the chars.

I'm playing through the original MP, and even there the textures really impress me. Remedy should have been the ones to do the Matrix game - the gritty, urban environment seen in Max perfectly matches with locations seen in the matrix. All it needs is a nice green tint...

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.laptopic.com

Oct 15, 2003, 17:34
Re: AOL ad has got to go Oct 15, 2003, 17:34
Oct 15, 2003, 17:34

stop using garbarge www browser IE.

use something like Mozilla firebird
http://mozilla.org/
It automatically blocks popups, and has optional banner blocking built in.
You can also get a small addon for it that makes flash crap only play when you tell it to.
So you can still play flash games, but now I never even notice when www sites have those adds.

Oct 15, 2003, 17:21
Re: Max 2 Oct 15, 2003, 17:21
Oct 15, 2003, 17:21

Ok guys, I've gone through the first couple missions of Max 2 and have to same I'm pretty wowed.

First off, the setting and story is back to it's dark noir feel and incorporates the same cooky comic art from the first. The timeline is really disjointed and keeps you guessing, definitely digging it so far.

The visuals are pretty much amazing. The new physics engine is the BEST i've ever seen for an action game. Boxes fly everywhere, tons of objects that can be moved or shot and really cool explosion effects which knock everything around. The ragdoll stuff is also quite cool and with the new bullet time effect makes for some pretty cool kills. Textures, if you can believe it, are better than the last game. I really do think Remedy has the best texture artists in the biz, the world just feels real from the shine of max's leather jacket to the skinmaps on the chars.

The gameplay is the exact same, which to me is a great thing. There is a lot more NPC interaction so this one feels a little more like a movie and not so much a complete run and gun deal. The new bullet time is really cool with a sorty blurry effect and it just feels a lot more polished. One part I didn't like was that you can only begin on the easiest setting (the rest open after you beat it), so the game is a bit easy.

All in all i'm ridiculously impressed and like the last one will prolly finish it in a couple sittings. I'm a spoiled gamer though and im bitching cuz i have to practice my UT skills for my G4 Arena appereance tommorrow and won't get to play much more than a couple hours later tonight.

Anyways, hope that helps. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who can run it well. I've got a xp 2800 with a gfx 4600 and it runs smooth as silk with all detail settings at 1280x1024.

dave snider
co-founder | guzzlefish.com
my dvd, cd, and game collections
http://www.guzzlefish.com/?user=dave
dave snider
comicvine.com

The Chicago Sun Times
Oct 15, 2003, 16:08
Bronco

The Chicago Sun Times Oct 15, 2003, 16:08
 Bronco

Has revealed the name, and workplace of the dope that tried to grab the fly ball of last nights game.

Guess he's packing his bags right about now...

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

Re: Max 2 Oct 15, 2003, 16:08

Is Max 2 supposed to be longer than the original? Whilst I really loved the first Max, it was way too short for the price.
If they had an editor for people to make SP missions and campaigns I wouldn't hesitate.

Ketchup? Catsup? Ketchup? Catsup? Oh dear, I'm in over my head.
- Mr. Burns
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older