Out of the Blue

I know there are a lot of folks with mixed (or negative) feelings about the movie, but I have been looking forward to today's release of the Matrix Reloaded on DVD since the date was announced... there are a couple of questions about how things come together in relation to the first movie and the upcoming conclusion of the trilogy that it will be fun to try and work on, as well as general Matrix goodness to be explored.

Stories of the Day: Revellers Down Plane. Thanks John Nelson.
Fijians say sorry to eaten Briton's family. Thanks Jamie Sefton.
Martial arts expert kills two raiders. Thanks Kazmont.
Science!: Can Rain Be Bought Experts Seed Clouds and Seek Answers (registration required).
Reaping and Sewing From Corn.
Study: Marijuana smokers' sperm slow.
Follow-up: Report: Navy to limit sonar to protect whales.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Newer

matrix
Oct 14, 2003, 10:31
matrix Oct 14, 2003, 10:31
Oct 14, 2003, 10:31

i didn't dig the movie as much as the first that's for sure. i really disliked the overlong action sequences and use of CGI. that said, i'll still pick up the dvd just for the architect dialouge and what not.

on a side note, i'll be competing on the G4 show "Arena" this week. We're playing America's Army and UT2K3 on "VR Pods". If you want to watch my dork ass getting spanked while doing a lawnmower man impression look for me under the same handle on the show airing sometimes next month. haha.

dave snider
co-founder | guzzlefish.com
my dvd, cd, and game collections
http://www.guzzlefish.com/?user=dave
dave snider
comicvine.com

Matrix goodness...
Oct 14, 2003, 10:33
Matrix goodness... Oct 14, 2003, 10:33
Oct 14, 2003, 10:33

I agree Blue, I completely enjoyed Reloaded and am anxiously awaiting Revolutions. Even as I type this I am heading off to buy the movie on DVD!

Egen

Re: matrix
Oct 14, 2003, 10:40
Re: matrix Oct 14, 2003, 10:40
Oct 14, 2003, 10:40

If you want to watch my dork ass getting spanked while doing a lawnmower man impression...

Hilarious bro, I'd watch just 'cause of that comment.

Oh, and you hit the nail on the head in regards to Reloaded. I would also add that they didn't spend as much/the same kind of time actually inside the Matrix. Zion didn't do it for me at all. I like the modern yet film noir setting when they're in the Matrix a lot better.

Which may be why I liked the movie Dark City so much. Well, that and Jennifer Connelly. Dang, it's a tough call between her and the Italian chick in the Reloaded movie. She's hot as hell as well. I'd probably pick Connelly tho'...

-----------------------------------------------------
Cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs o' war!
-----------------------------------------------------
"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

Oct 14, 2003, 10:43
Re: matrix Oct 14, 2003, 10:43
Oct 14, 2003, 10:43

yep, peeps in the know all dig dark city. while i don't think the wach. bros intentional ripped the plot, i do think it left an impression on them. same premise, but um...darker. zion was a joke. we went from cool noir stylings and dialouge to some weird rave concert.

btw, who is gonna pick up max payne and commandos 3 today?

dave snider
This comment was edited on Oct 14, 10:47.
dave snider
comicvine.com

Oct 14, 2003, 10:47
Re: matrix Oct 14, 2003, 10:47
Oct 14, 2003, 10:47

Thank goodness you reminded me of this Blue! For some strange reason I was off a week and thought it was going to be released next tuesday... Well now I have a mission after work! Giddyup!!

Oct 14, 2003, 10:49
Re: matrix Oct 14, 2003, 10:49
Oct 14, 2003, 10:49

Thank goodness you reminded me of this Blue! For some strange reason I was off a week and thought it was going to be released next tuesday...

I will rent this one prior to seeing the last movie but...

Am I the only person that didn't buy the first and is waiting patiently for the trilogy in one set?

Maybe.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

Oct 14, 2003, 10:59
nin

Re: matrix Oct 14, 2003, 10:59
Oct 14, 2003, 10:59
 nin

but I have been looking forward to today's release of the Matrix Reloaded on DVD since the date was announced

Hell, yeah, I'm going at lunch...$14.99 at best bi for 2 discs, and a bonus 3rd one if you hurry (some best bi promo)...

Am I the only person that didn't buy the first and is waiting patiently for the trilogy in one set?

I'm too impatient to wait. And in the world of dvds, there's ALWAYS a special edition around the corner.

Everybody crank up the Freeway and Burly Brawl scenes tonight! I know I will be!

Oh, and 3 weeks 'til Revolutions! WHOO!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.laptopic.com

Matrix Reloaded
Oct 14, 2003, 11:00
Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 11:00
Oct 14, 2003, 11:00

I didn't see Reloaded till after it had been released for a couple months. Most of my friends came away from it liking it yet there were enough somewhat negative reviews (in the press) to still make my expecatations lower. When I finally did see it I was blown away, it is a much better movie than I think people give it credit. I think expectations were soo high AND the fact that there is some ambiguity/thinking required. This is what I like most of all. It threw some assumptions from the first movie on their ears (Neo is the "one", matrix in a matrix, role of Agent Smith, etc.) This is a solid flick and a great followup to a kick-ass movie. I can't wait for Nov. 4th.
ZigZang

neo nazi
Oct 14, 2003, 11:08
neo nazi Oct 14, 2003, 11:08
Oct 14, 2003, 11:08

i thought the constant references to an arian race was disturbing.

Re: Matrix Reloaded
Oct 14, 2003, 11:13
Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 11:13
Oct 14, 2003, 11:13

I think expectations were soo high

Yup. This is also one of the main reasons why most people that saw the original trilogy feel that the new Star Wars movies are so hideously bad. Expectations built up to such a feverish height that NOTHING George Lucas or the Wachowskis did would have been enough to satisfy everyone.
Also, don't forget that the whole sense of "Whoa, what the fuck is THIS??" you got when you first saw Neo wake up in the giant Battery was no longer there. A sequel can never capture that freshness / newness of the original.

I really digged Reloaded, although there were a few too many "needless" kung fu scenes (insomuch as well directed, well choreographed kung fu can EVER be needless) and just some things that seemingly made no sense (such as WHY Neo is actually fighting the neverending horde of Agent Smiths), although those could usually be explained if you thought about it.

I think the only thing that really annoyed me was the whole Zion scene and Morpheus' crud awful speech. The rest of the movie was very good, and the Architect's speech and the revelations contained in that speech were just awesome.

Creston

Oct 14, 2003, 11:36
Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 11:36
Oct 14, 2003, 11:36

his is also one of the main reasons why most people that saw the original trilogy feel that the new Star Wars movies are so hideously bad

No, it's because the new Star Wars movies are so hideously bad. I enjoyed the first trilogy when I was a kid, but watching them as an adult I see a lot of bad acting, poor transitions, and holes (particularly in the first movie). I had relatively low expectations before Phantom Menace came out and I was still blown away at how abysmally bad it was. I saw Attack of the Clones only because my wife and friends wanted to see it. I don't know if I'll bother with the next one.

I think the only thing that really annoyed me was the whole Zion scene and Morpheus' crud awful speech.

Same. The movie certainly wasn't as exceptional as the first, but it's doubtful that they could have met that challenge -- as you say, the "wtf?" reaction when Neo "awakens" is hard to reproduce. On the other hand, it left a great amount to be desired. I'm hoping that Revolutions will tie up the plot threads and explain much of Reloaded... I suspect Reloaded is much more of a transitional piece than anything else, and while it may wind up being the weakest of the three it'll be necessary in order to fully enjoy the last installment (much in the same way that Back to the Future II is weak, but greatly enhances the third movie).

Of course, it might just suck and we'll end up with one good movie followed by two bad sequels. Like that's never happened before.

Oct 14, 2003, 11:46
Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 11:46
Oct 14, 2003, 11:46

Yeah, the second was a decent action flick, but I couldn't say it was a good movie. It's worst fault is the piss poor character development. Sure, we were amazed at the newness in the first movie, but what made it a great movie was how the characters evolved and grew (not just Neo). In the second, sure the fight scenes were neat (though extended and eventually boring with no sense of urgency) but in the end, I could care less if they lived or died.

Keep in mind that I do think its a good action flick, it's just missing some essential components that would elevate it to a great film like the first.

Hey, just doing my part to keep your expectations low so you can enjoy the second movie

Personally, I'll skip owning the second film until I see how the third one turns out. If it also tanks, I'll happily just own the first and try to pretend that there is only one (there is no spoon). But if it's on the same level as the first, I'll go back and buy the second just to complete the series.

Oct 14, 2003, 11:47
Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 11:47
Oct 14, 2003, 11:47

creston i don't know that that logic works. their are plenty of instances of sequels being better than the originals. i admit its rare, but it happens.

dave snider
dave snider
comicvine.com

Oct 14, 2003, 11:53
Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 11:53
Oct 14, 2003, 11:53

People don't like the new Star Wars movies because it's full of bad, dry acting. There is absolutely no emotion apart from anakin's whining in episode 2. George Lucas hasn't directed in so long, he forgets how.

About the Revolutions - my cousin tells me(he rented the DVD from a store that puts new releases out a week early) the special features were pretty slim. No commentary track was the biggest problem I remember him saying. I think I will wait for a special edition. I'm happy to buy two version of the LOTR movies normal and Extended, just because I love them so much. Revolutions didn't leave an excellent impression when I left the theatre, so I can wait. But, I'll check it out when I'm in the store buying Texas Chainsaw, just incase he overlooked some things

"The only downside to being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious."

Check this link out
Oct 14, 2003, 12:01
Check this link out Oct 14, 2003, 12:01
Oct 14, 2003, 12:01

People camped out at BB to buy the DVD.
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219111&highlight=matrix

Amazing. I was ok with the 2nd movie, but I've read the rumored plot of the 3rd, and if it's true, I'm not happy, because it won't have a happy ending.

Oct 14, 2003, 12:07
Quboid

Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 12:07
Oct 14, 2003, 12:07
 Quboid

Well, since people are mini-reviewing here, I guess I'll add my 3 cents (the exchange rate means UK posters' thoughts are worth more ).

Reloaded is a good movie. Nothing could really match the first as the expectations where there and it would take a lot to reproduce the WTF factor. There was too much CGI and fighting but that wasn't particularly bad. The burly men scene with the hundred odd Agent Smiths might not have had a point to it but it was an excellent scene. The dance scene sucked - what the hell is going on there? I've heard it's some deeply religous thing but I think it went too far. The worst bit was "Kiss me like you where kissing her". What the hell is that? Where did that come from and who the hell decides whether or not to help save mankind on something like that? On the flip side, the twins ruled! The whole thing is a bit weird and slightly confusing, which I think put a lot of people off. I'm not even sure what is confusing me but something is. A lot isn't explained so as a sole movie it somewhat fails but then it's never trying to be a sole movie. I guess it does have a significant WTF factor but not in a good way.

Star Wars. Hmm. I saw The Phantom Menace without having seen IV, V or VI and I thought it was OK. The acting is fairly poor and some of the stars are horrible wooden. Likewise, the speech is poorly written. I've since seen the earlier movies and to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is. The effects are poor but that didn't bother me. The whole thing had similarly badly written speech, some wooden acting (but not as bad) and a huge amount of campness. They're good popcorn movies but I can't see them as anything beyond that.

Cheers,
Quboid

Oct 14, 2003, 12:17
Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 12:17
Oct 14, 2003, 12:17

Okay, I was dissapointed with reloaded. And it wasn't because I was hyped to the point of expecting miracles from the directors. The special effects were fine, but the Architects speech was just muddled solipsistic pseudo-philosopy trying to give the film a lofty intellectual edge when, at it's roots, it's a low to middle brow action flick. The explanation at the end just came over as pretentious and over long.

The brothers said it was always going to be a trilogy but they concluded so much stuff after the first one I'm not convinced they are being honest on that front. If they were, a cardinal rule they broke was making Neo all super powerful. Where is the tension when he can fly just about anywhere and save the day again and again?

The French guy and the cake... Oh dear me. Zion was a bad Duran Duran MTV video... Morpheus speech... The Hugo-Keano fight was just one long CGI effect, when a director wants to impress me with a fight scene I need real people doing real stunts like Mr Chan or Lee (okay they use effects on occasion, but I spot those as well and wish they didn't and the best fights are when they don't).

Matrix reloaded was style over substance taken to an extreme. This isn't a terrible thing necessarily, and it got enough bums on seats in the cinema, as will the third no doubt, but if it want to be remembered as a classic in years to come (as the cast and brothers have said they hope it will be) it has to raise it's game 'substance-wise' big time to impress me...

And Keanu will always be wooden. And always be Ted (or is it Bill)?

Whoa dude!

This isn't a matrix hate mail. I really like the first. And the twins were cool in the second, as were most of the fights. The motorway bit was a very good high point to the film. Will watch the third to see how they wrap it up and if they do raise thier game, but far from anxious to be the first to see it. Give me another LOTR film any day.

Anyhow, I see alot of people loved it so if you can form an orderly queue to flame...

--------------------

Ihya

Oct 14, 2003, 12:19
Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 12:19
Oct 14, 2003, 12:19

we were amazed at the newness in the first movie

This is what amazes me... the matrix movies (the two I have seen) are great, they defined a new level for special FX, they were brilliantly entertaining and so on and so forth..

But they did not introduced anything new , they are a bunch of mythology/SF/fantasy/cult which were cut and pasted into the script (a man in a machine? TRON, the one ? Babilon 5, martial arts? martial arts! and these are probably not genuine as well...)

But people made this their religion... go figure...

I suspect that the matrix movies are so appealing because they all fall into familiar patterns, things we already know about, they simply plug into the collective sub conciense...

But hey - great movies , waiting for the 3rd...

Oct 14, 2003, 12:23
Tom
Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 12:23
Oct 14, 2003, 12:23
Tom

OMG BLASPHEMY!!

How did you not see the earlier Star Wars movies first? Amazing. Well, I think they are truly better than the new ones, in every way imaginable. No, they're not perfect movies. But they are better than this Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones CRAP!!

NINJAI!!!!
Oct 14, 2003, 12:24
NINJAI!!!! Oct 14, 2003, 12:24
Oct 14, 2003, 12:24

btw guys, since i learned of it first from here and i remember a bunch of people being bummed it was taken down NINJAI is back up.

http://www.ninjai.com

it's a really really really cool flash cartoon. looks like they are finally close to finishing it.

dave snider
dave snider
comicvine.com
100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Newer