New Condition Zero Developer

There's a new Counter-Strike: Condition Zero preview on CS-Nation that includes word of yet another developer(!) on the upcoming Counter-Strike game, as Turtle Rock Studios (thanks HomeLAN Fed) is now at work on the project. According to the article, some of the content from Ritual (who assumed the reigns of the project from Gearbox earlier in this soap opera) was not equal to expectations, so Valve has turned things over to this small start-up, composed of four former Westwood/EA Pacific employees, headed by Mike Booth (Nox). Here's a bit more on this:
Although you will still find some of the Ritual missions in the game, the meat of CS: Condition Zero is a new mode programmed by Turtle Rock Studios. Twelve Ritual missions will be in a section of the game called "Deleted Scenes." These missions were the best of the 20 or so that Ritual developed. But the new game mode that will comprise most of Condition Zero is a Tony Hawk Pro Skater-like challenge mode.
View : : :
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: CZ, Take 3?
Oct 12, 2003, 08:44
Re: CZ, Take 3? Oct 12, 2003, 08:44
Oct 12, 2003, 08:44

I think they should scrap this finally and just release the updated maps and game updates in a cs patch(via steam woopee!) and get over it.

Grrrrr

F*ck Steam.

--
Tigger

'Got CS...gas?'
This comment was edited on Oct 12, 08:44.
--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

LOL
Oct 12, 2003, 06:21
LOL Oct 12, 2003, 06:21
Oct 12, 2003, 06:21

This beyond funny. Normally a publisher would have cancelled a project for being substandard. I guess this is what happens when a developer (Valve, in this case) has too much freedom to pump whatever pile of money they want in a project to make it better.
It doesn't help the game's credibility.

_______________________ __ _

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated December 25th

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009

Re: Blue is Responsible!
Oct 12, 2003, 06:04
Re: Blue is Responsible! Oct 12, 2003, 06:04
Oct 12, 2003, 06:04

But the new game mode that will comprise most of Condition Zero is a Tony Hawk Pro Skater-like challenge mode.

Haha, thats cool, I remember typing in this very forum, that I liked Gearbox' "Tony Hawk"-direction alot more than the ritual linear-story direction. Seems they listened to me

To bad I probably wont buy the game though, I mean why go back to noob-lamer-cheater-hell-land when people release stuff like Red Orchestra for UT2003. Seems even Day Of Defeat has been out-done this time. I cant wait for the next beta. http://www.unrealwarfarex.com/redorchestra/

Remember this is beta ONE of this mod. theyll probably patch the most serious bugs the next week or so.

And there are no crosshairs damnit! There are iron sights on your gun. use middle mouse or "i" .Read the manual.

BicycleRepairMan

Re: Blue is Responsible!
Oct 12, 2003, 05:19
Re: Blue is Responsible! Oct 12, 2003, 05:19
Oct 12, 2003, 05:19

My latest theory is that our own Blue is ANON. He did just so that his hit counter would go up.

Nice going Blue. Thanks alot!!!

Re: The irony is not lost
Oct 12, 2003, 04:03
Re: The irony is not lost Oct 12, 2003, 04:03
Oct 12, 2003, 04:03

Crap, board won't let me edit.

Actually HomeLAN Fed are the mixed-up ones... sorry, Blue.

---------------------------------------------
Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a fredster smoking a cigar in a bathtub full of gasoline" fanclub.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Oct 12, 2003, 04:01
Re: The irony is not lost Oct 12, 2003, 04:01
Oct 12, 2003, 04:01

A1 sauce is good on anything..

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
ExcessDan

Oct 12, 2003, 03:59
Re: The irony is not lost Oct 12, 2003, 03:59
Oct 12, 2003, 03:59

From October 8, 2003 (boy that SEARCH BOX over on the left there is sure handy...):

Shacknews is reporting having received word from Valve that Counter-Strike Condition Zero is going to be declared gold (complete) on Friday, to be available from both retail stores and the Steam service on November 18. They have also posted a mission scripting example and a screenshot from the game.

And from ShackNews itself...

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/28756

CSNation has posted a new Counter-Strike: Condition Zero preview, offering all the info you want on the version of the game that's actually shipping next month. While apparently some content developed by Ritual Entertainment will be in the game, others parts of the game have been developed by upstart Turtle Rock Studios (the fourth developer to work on this game).

So it sounds like the 'project' IS done. I think Blue might have gotten mixed up, since everything I've read (other links concerning CZ are on that same Shack page) is in the past tense, meaning Turtle Rock is all done on the game and not 'currently at work'.

Find me a proper post Gold announcement and I'll eat my hat Bear in mind they also said it'd be on Steam on Friday and it isn't.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/28718/

Um, it was supposedly gold on Friday, not being released on Steam. BTW... I hear that A1 Steak Sauce tastes pretty good on hats... Your only saving grace is that there is no 'official publisher press release' which I think is what you meant...

---------------------------------------------
Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a fredster smoking a cigar in a bathtub full of gasoline" fanclub.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Re: JediLuke
Oct 12, 2003, 03:47
Re: JediLuke Oct 12, 2003, 03:47
Oct 12, 2003, 03:47

Actually, I just go with the flow. I said the complete opposite on another HL2 thread. But that's neither here nor there, it could be true. Something's got to be happening. Something will come of this. We might get a better game. We might get another delay. Something more will happen. But if they say, Valve announces Chapter 11, then everyone will be saying, "I knew it!", and even though I said it first, people will be like, yeah but they haven't thrown in the towel yet, they are restructuring. This is chapter 13. Dude chill.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the next Valve topic. It should be here tomorrow or monday. Some other strange announcement like - Valve's Gabe Newell to announce Atkin's Diet Game.

Oct 12, 2003, 03:16
Bob
Re: CZ, Take 3? Oct 12, 2003, 03:16
Oct 12, 2003, 03:16
Bob

*Nelson points at Valve*

HA ha!

Oct 12, 2003, 01:11
Re: CZ, Take 3? Oct 12, 2003, 01:11
Oct 12, 2003, 01:11

I think they should scrap this finally and just release the updated maps and game updates in a cs patch(via steam woopee!) and get over it.

CZ, Take 3?
Oct 12, 2003, 00:59
CZ, Take 3? Oct 12, 2003, 00:59
Oct 12, 2003, 00:59

This game sounds like it's going to have the biggest case of scope-creep we'll ever see in a computer game. Which sucks, really, since this game has so much potential.

--
Tigger

'Got CS...gas?'
--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

Re: Valve going bankrupt
Oct 12, 2003, 00:56
Re: Valve going bankrupt Oct 12, 2003, 00:56
Oct 12, 2003, 00:56

CS:CZ was supposed to be single player CS.

Sounds like they did that exactly. Bots. Missions with challenges so you're not just playing the same thing over and over the same way. You get great at dominating a map with the M4? Great, now they'll make you play exclusively with the pistol. And only headshots count. Now win.

Replay value? Check. And tell me one arcade game that does this.

Fun? Possibly. Worth buying? I'd spend $15, bots would beat 14 year old TKers. Valve going bankrupt? If 3D Realms hasn't yet then Valve is lightyears away from it.

Valve threads bring out the prophets of doom, drama queens, idiots, and some smart people. This version of CS:CZ interests me significantly more than any preview I've read. I still have only a very mild interest, but I'd consider it over anything Gray Matter does.

Oct 12, 2003, 00:44
Re: Valve going bankrupt Oct 12, 2003, 00:44
Oct 12, 2003, 00:44

Zephalephelah: What are you talking about? Pretty much everything you said is complete bullshit.

And for fuck's sake, no one really thought CZ was going to have skateboards. Why can no one tell when people are joking?

Of course, that would be ironic if Zephalephelah had been joking in his post, but it seemed too long and (semi) thought-out for that.

~Steve

Oct 12, 2003, 00:26
Re: Valve going bankrupt Oct 12, 2003, 00:26
Oct 12, 2003, 00:26

i've played it too and it seems pretty much done to me. boring and not much fun, but done. whoever said it feels more like a mod than a full fledged game is right on the money. remember Gunman Chronicles that came out a couple of years ago? it was a pretty good game, but still felt like a mod thus leaving people feeling ripped off after spending $40. same thing with CZ.

Oct 12, 2003, 00:06
Re: Valve going bankrupt Oct 12, 2003, 00:06
Oct 12, 2003, 00:06

Here's the worst scenerio theory:

Valve really isn't done with the game and this ANON guy is right. Valve just made some scripted sequences & can't get around the AI to make those sequences happen without scripting them. Valve's source code really was stolen & although they still have the original, the copies are out there & dwindled the expected price of engine licensing considerably. Valve themselves said that they piled all their money & time into Half-life 2 for 5 years. Now if the game could look as good as the movies show then they will get their money back. But if the above is true...

Let's say that you buy a car. You can handle the payments just enough to get a nice stereo in there. You pound out the latest vibes from your favorite band & enjoy the stereo very much. You wake up one day & the window's broke out & the stereo's stolen. Now, 1 of 2 things are going to happen to you. A: You will put in a new stereo better than before. B: You will put in something just to be able to drive without silence. Now Valve pretty much created a game with an average of 30 people working for 5 years. If the Source is really as serious as they've been letting on, then the heart might have gone out of the company. They might choose option B.

Another possibility is that Valve leaked this themselves because they had no real AI & everything was scripted & they can't get the monsters and enemies to look at the world & think, I'll blow up this thing here & if that doesn't work, then I'll crawl under it. Or, I'll open the door; oh he braced it huh? then I'll shoot through the window & try the door after he's away from it. If Valve can't get the enemies to "think" & they released the source code because they need a reason to get paid by Vinvendi for playing cards in the office for 5 years, then maybe that's the next news.

Lastly, there's an almost daily outflow of news. This from a company that kept its mouth shut for 5 years about Half-life 2, the biggest game since... ever. They keep on stumbling over their dicks. CS:CZ is gold. Next day= we have a new developer working on it. Before that it was, Vinvendi says November for HL2, this is the first I've ever heard about it. It's on, it's off, it's on, it's off, it's on, it's off. They don't seem to know whether they're coming or going at all!!!

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that Valve is splitting up or even that someone important left the company 3 weeks ago. Obviously we aren't privvy to inside information. But this real-life storyline is getting too weird for words. What sane company can you think of that would put their working environment lab equipment on anything attached to the outside world? ATI leaked the Doom3 alpha, it wasn't hacked. I suspect this is a leak too, but I don't know why, and I don't think we ever will. ANON said that if Valve didn't confess their knowledge about the state of Half-life 2 that he would release *all* of the source-code. Well, where is it? Why wouldn't he release it all? He's already willing to release part of it, what's stopping him from releasing the rest? Hackers love to brag. This is his time of fame! So where is the source? I think this is all smoke & mirrors. It's like the USA & UK pressuring the UN to allow a war with Iraq because there's proof of weapons of mass descruction. They showed us pictures from satellites & the whole show, and we went to war. Where are the nukes? Why do people always believe what they read????

Re: Locksmith
Oct 11, 2003, 23:37
Re: Locksmith Oct 11, 2003, 23:37
Oct 11, 2003, 23:37

"Find me a proper post Gold announcement and I'll eat my hat Bear in mind they also said it'd be on Steam on Friday and it isn't."

Possibly bad wording in that report, but what I got from it was that it would also be available over Steam in November as well.

CS in Source?
Oct 11, 2003, 23:11
CS in Source? Oct 11, 2003, 23:11
Oct 11, 2003, 23:11

Anyone talking about moving the whole CS franchise to the Source engine? It seems like every review of anything CS in the last 3 years has had the words "engine" and "dated" somewhere in the same sentence. I would think this would be a no-brainer. I wonder why they arent reconsidering holding off on releasing this thing and converting to the new engine. Shit, they waited 5 years to get Half Life right why not do THIS right too?

Quite frankly I got bored with this game 2 years ago and cant believe I am still hearing about it.

And, anyone who thinks Valve is "in ruins" better think about how much cash they must have burned through in 5 years without a major title coming out. Any company that can AFFORD to do that is not going away anytime soon. They and 3Drealms have some of the deepest pockets in the gaming business and unlike some other companies previously mismanaged by long-haired, ego-heavy kids, these guys are all run by mature, smart guys.

Sling

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 23:18.

Re: No subject
Oct 11, 2003, 22:18
nin
Re: No subject Oct 11, 2003, 22:18
Oct 11, 2003, 22:18
nin

That implies that this is currently going on, there is no indication that this happened in the past, so it certainly seems strange considering the recent announcement that the gold announcement was imminent.

My guess is it ships in an incomplete, buggy state now, and in a few months we'll have the free addon/patch from hell that fixes everything and tries to salvage sales, which have already been ruined since it shipped in a buggy state to begin with.

At any rate...I'm not going near it if it's taken 3+ teams to finish it...it's going to be a mess and a half.

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

Re: tards
Oct 11, 2003, 21:49
Re: tards Oct 11, 2003, 21:49
Oct 11, 2003, 21:49

I'm with weed on this one.

Seriously.. what are you people thinking? With just a tad touch of investigative reading and not narrow minding yourselves into shitholes of conspiracy theorism, you guys just might figure something out.

This is HOW it is: The game is GOLD, the wording was pretty awful in the post, the NEW company they handed it off to was a JOINT venture not a complete hand-off and said company only re-did pieces of the singleplayer portion. The rest of the work from Ritual is still in there. And like others before me: NO, there are no skateboards.

Valve going bankrupt? After selling 32894728947 million copies of HalfLife? Are you stupid?

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 21:50.

tards
Oct 11, 2003, 21:24
tards Oct 11, 2003, 21:24
Oct 11, 2003, 21:24

You guys think "tony hawk challenge mode" means there will be skateboards in the game, yet you call [i]Valve[/i] idiots??!!1one
C'mon. You guys are fucking drama queens.
I played CZ. The game is lame if you've played CS. If not you may like it a lot.
The different developers working on it thing? Seems like no big deal to me. Valve didn't like what the others did and handed it to someone who did an acceptable job. no drama really.
HL2 is going to make Valve lots and lots of money regardless of what happened with the ANON fucktard. So this BS about bankruptcy and references to Daikatana are uncalled for.
anyways, I forgive y'all, the gamer lifestyle is pretty boring . I understand you trying to spice it up with all this drama.

111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older