Out of the Blue

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 rocked... and this is coming from someone who is not familiar enough with most of the martial arts movies to which it pays homage. Sure enough, a consult with my buddy Abraxas, a martial arts movie maven, shows that the appeal for fans of the genre is even more extreme. Great stuff... basically like Fox Force Five without any vaudeville jokes.

Play Time: Midway Classic Games. Thanks Markus Friedl.
Link of the Day: The Official Rock Paper Scissors Strategy Guide.
Stories of the Day: ESPN.com - Horse Racing - Bol plans to become a licensed jockey. Thanks WarPig.
Part 'Amazing Race,' Part 'Where's Waldo' (registration required).
Suspect who robbed 2 banks in 20 minutes nabbed after he stops to rest feet. Thanks yonderboy.
Science!: Honda unveils beefed up fuel cell car that runs at freezing temperatures.
NASA Successfully Flies First Laser-powered Aircraft.
Here comes the one-hour face-lift.
Images of the Day: Something Awful's Phake Games 3. Thanks Ant. Mature and immature themes.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap.
Oct 13, 2003, 13:45
Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 13, 2003, 13:45
Oct 13, 2003, 13:45

LOTR got split because of it's length, and the fact that it was written in 3 bits in the first place. -- Von Helmet

Checkout the LOTR:FOTR DVD, (not sure if its the 2 DVD set or the 4 DVD set; maybe both). Peter Jackson tells the story of how he got funding for the movie. They originally sold it as 2 movies. Then the deal fell through and they had to scramble to get funding. Finally, when they found a guy that would do it, he had one basic question: If this is from a trilogy, why don't you have 3 movies, 1 for each book. Peter was floored... and of course, very happy. ... as are the rest of us fans.

glaring copy-protection dots -- Syntarsus

Is THAT what that was? I thought it was a problem with the theatre I was in. Now, THAT's obnoxious. At first, I thought I had imagined them, but then I saw it time and again. I agree, they were glaring!

Oct 13, 2003, 04:01
Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 13, 2003, 04:01
Oct 13, 2003, 04:01

LOTR got split because of it's length, and the fact that it was written in 3 bits in the first place.
The Matrix was split into three films because otherwise the one film would have been 8 hours long.

Kill Bill was split because of the same thing - length.

Oct 12, 2003, 23:01
nin

Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 12, 2003, 23:01
Oct 12, 2003, 23:01
 nin

Whatever happened to getting to see the whole movie the first time around and then maybe a sequel later..

I'm not a Tarantino fan, but he had a reason for splitting the movie - it was either release it in two parts, or edit the hell out of it (to get a shorter running time). As a director telling a story, he wanted the full story on the screen, and not most or part of it...if I was in his shoes and given the same choice, I would have done the same thing.

I'd much rather see the movie as the director intended it to be seen (2 parts or not), than watch it and know that what was on the screen was NOT what the director wanted.

Can you imagine how shitty the LOTR series or the first 3 Star Wars movies would be if all three parts were edited down into a single 2-3 hour movie? They'd be a mess, and the overall movie would suffer...

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

Oct 12, 2003, 18:06
Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 12, 2003, 18:06
Oct 12, 2003, 18:06

Whatever happened to getting to see the whole movie the first time around and then maybe a sequel later..

Something tells me the success of Lord of the Rings had a role in this, and if Kill Bill does well, which seems very likely, then we can expect a lot more of it to come.

Segmented movies, glaring copy-protection dots, commercials.. My movie-going days are drawing to a close methinks.

Oct 12, 2003, 17:11
Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 12, 2003, 17:11
Oct 12, 2003, 17:11

Oct 12, 2003, 17:07
Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 12, 2003, 17:07
Oct 12, 2003, 17:07

Wait until you see the whole movie before you judge it.

Talk to you in February.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a fredster doused in gasoline and smoking a cigarette" fanclub.

Re: OT
Oct 12, 2003, 15:34
Re: OT Oct 12, 2003, 15:34
Oct 12, 2003, 15:34

omg that's beautiful *snif* <wipes tear>

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000007SPT/qid=1065984396/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-8156333-1109509?v=glance&s=music#product-details

Group:This Mortal Coil
Album: It'll End In Tears
Proper Song Title: Song to the Siren (with Lisa Gerrard)

(vocalist)Liz Fraser does the most amazing cover version of Buckley's "Song To The Siren"-comparisons to the original are quite startling.She almost has this soothing spiritual lilt that sounds sort of Asian,and this accompanies the most amazingly gentle shimmering guitar from Robin Guthrie-I didn't know it was a guitar until I read the innersleeve and this was made in the early 80's long before studio trickery could be used so effectively.

Lucy Liu
Oct 12, 2003, 13:42
Lucy Liu Oct 12, 2003, 13:42
Oct 12, 2003, 13:42

Ok, not really related to the movie just a comment. Lucy Lu is stunning in this movie. A lot of people are bashing her character. One of the coolest shots was the sequence when the guy comments on her hertiage. Can anybody forget the scene where she walks in the traditional Japanese garb (I couldn't take my eyes off her ....she looked amazing the clothes the walk, camera shots) Ok, enough of me gushing over Lucy.
The movie was great. Like others, I can see that it would not be everybody's cup of tea. But, for me the music, the scenes, the Females (Vivica A. Fox, Lucy Liu, Uma Thurman (minus her toe scene), Hannah ... all make the movie amongst the homage to other movies. The Game of Death outfit (Bruce Lee) looked great on Thurman. I also like the way he incorporates the fight your way up to the bigger badder bosses so evident in marital art movies and video games.

Re: Kill Bill? What a work of art...
Oct 12, 2003, 11:29
Re: Kill Bill? What a work of art... Oct 12, 2003, 11:29
Oct 12, 2003, 11:29

I've read in several places that Kill Bill Vol.2 is a very different film altogether. The first film was meant to be an action-packed adrenaline rush, whereas the second film is meant to contain most of the backstory. Those who complain of a lack of story in Vol.1 should know that it was intentional. You'll get more character and story in the second chapter.

Oct 12, 2003, 03:48
Re: Kill Bill? What a work of art... Oct 12, 2003, 03:48
Oct 12, 2003, 03:48

-----I don't think the following is Spoiler, but some people might-----

Kill Bill: Volume 1 lived up to my expectations. But, the R rating is very well deserved for violence. If you are into broad or complex plots, this isn't the movie for you. The plot is simply one of vengence: The Bride (Uma Thurman), goes after the 5 who had come very close to killing her. The leader is Bill (David Carradine, whom you hardly see). Also, if you are a purist of the far eastern martial arts then you may not like how they made a fusion between Japanese and Chinese fighting styles.

I'm no expert on film or anime, but the film seems to me to be much like a live action version of one of the more intense Japanese anime. In fact, for background on one of the assassins, O-Ren Ishi (Lucy Liu), they use actual anime. Without cutting content, the live action version would have certainly max'ed the rating to NC-17; very personal, very intense. But in addition to the intensity, it has some good humor, albeit mostly dark humor. However, the scene in the sushi bar was humorous without the dark, violent aspect.

Yeah, the blood was way over the top when extremities were severed from the rest of the body. Think Monty Python. ;-) However, I've seen this sort of thing in anime, too.

Kill Bill: Volume 2 (where The Bride concludes her vengence) is completed. I think it is to screen this February.

Oct 12, 2003, 01:49
Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 12, 2003, 01:49
Oct 12, 2003, 01:49

Well I at least expected SOME witty dialog. The japanese guys arguing with themselves wasn't it.

Oct 12, 2003, 01:35
Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 12, 2003, 01:35
Oct 12, 2003, 01:35

"and 10 minutes ripping off other movies."

There is a difference between ripping off and paying homage. The whole premise of Kill Bill is built off of paying homage to the various movies, genres, ect that Quintin grew up watching. With this comes all the "cartoon violence" as it applies to the particular genre.

Also: If you go to this movie expecting Reservoir Dogs 2: Mr. Pink's Kungfu Revenge, you will be disappointed. So don't.

Oct 12, 2003, 01:25
Re: Kill Bill? What a work of art... Oct 12, 2003, 01:25
Oct 12, 2003, 01:25

Okay, here's a few:

- Excellent and intricate long takes - which are incredibly difficult to pull off
- Brilliant use of color and lighting (flicking from B&W to color in a literal blink, the unlit room with a blue backlit light)
- Sly stylistic touches (much of the intro, the dashboard of the cop, transition for the final fight scene, too many others to mention)
- The unabashed gore that is a hallmark of Tarantino films
- The dexterity used in messing with timelines and event sequences, another hallmark of Tarantino films
- The fact he isn't making a variant of Pulp Fiction - he's switched genres and has done an excellent job. I haven't seen an Martial Arts flick that focused on nearly all-weapon combat for some time.

There's a movie there, and it's excellent. It's focused on style rather then pure action. I can see how that may not be everyone's cup o' tea.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 01:26.
--
Stin

Kill Bill? What a load of crap.
Oct 12, 2003, 01:10
Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 12, 2003, 01:10
Oct 12, 2003, 01:10

***RANT SPOILER****

You cannot even say that this movie belongs in the same category as Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs. Its not even the same friggin league, not even the same friggin sport.

I dont care how many references you guys all found.. what about a movie? I kept getting the impression that Kill Bill was basically filmed in order to make some impressive trailers. Music was good, but again, I'll suggest downloaded or purchasing the soundtrack.

The only times I actully was interested is in a couple of the more realistic fight scenes (there wasn't many) and as they pranced around and looked cool when the music was playing. But thats not a friggin movie.. its a music video. If that.. because the music wasn't THAT good.

Please tell me that you liked the movie for something other than the other movie references.

Oct 11, 2003, 23:35
Re: OT Oct 11, 2003, 23:35
Oct 11, 2003, 23:35

Damn straight...the industry doesn't like it since it allows you to tell if the music sucks BEFORE you buy it - what a concept!

One thing that struck me the other day: If you buy a copy-protected CD, and it sucks, then the musicos really can't bitch about you returning it to the store, since the excuse they used to rely on involved people copying music then returning it. Non?

EDIT: Shane and co. There's no way that's Lisa Gerrard, but other than that your info is spot on.

Recommended: Now We Are Free (from the Gladiator ST)

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 23:56.
---
Chris.

No subject
Oct 11, 2003, 23:29
No subject Oct 11, 2003, 23:29
Oct 11, 2003, 23:29

What if the rest of the album sucks and is nothing like that one song?
Then the song is called a "single" and gets way too much airplay.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Overkill Bill
Oct 11, 2003, 23:12
Overkill Bill Oct 11, 2003, 23:12
Oct 11, 2003, 23:12

So was I the only one disappointed in this mess? 90 minutes of cartoon violence, 10 minutes of characters slowly unsheathing swords, and 10 minutes ripping off other movies. Everything from Pink Panther to Battle Royale (and didn't that girl stab a guy in the crotch in that movie as well?). Where's the plot? Where's the fun dialogue that's the hallmark of all QT's movies?

Not a terrible flick - it had its moments - but it is easily Tarantino's worst. Soundtrack was very cool, however.

Oct 11, 2003, 22:22
Enahs

Re: OT Oct 11, 2003, 22:22
Oct 11, 2003, 22:22
 Enahs

In the OotB yesterday you talked about the anniversary of this wonderful site.

As I mentioned earlier tonight, I am bored, so I was browsing around the FAQ here, and came across old logos and such.
http://www.bluesnews.com/images/throbber3.gif
This one, with the blue light fading in and out.
I specifically remember that, but the page says http://www.bluesnews.com/logos/archives/index-old.shtml
Dec on 97. Do you recall when it was last used regularly?

As I am starting to believe I have been visiting this site longer then I think!? I am way too young to be losing my memory like this!

Going back through the archives of 3dgamers, I am thinking I started getting into the 3D gaming scene around Nov of 97?! As I recall G-Police being the first 3D Accelerated game I played on my new killer I740?!

I do know that I never got seriously into it, and really paying attention to everything until the past few years, and became a hardcore BluesNewser a little before Billy left/was kicked out of Ve3D….err…when was that?

I am so bored, I can not remember anything!

EDIT
Going back futher in the 3DGamers archives, I remember dling ALOT of these other games when they first came out, before I had a 3d accel card! I am remembering stuff back to 93! I just do not know when the transition of getting things of BBS's and the internet begins. Damn have I been gaming since a young age! No wonder I never could remember anything in school

_____
Enahs

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 22:26.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Oct 11, 2003, 22:13
nin

Re: OT Oct 11, 2003, 22:13
Oct 11, 2003, 22:13
 nin

Proof that Kazaa benifits the music industry?

Damn straight...the industry doesn't like it since it allows you to tell if the music sucks BEFORE you buy it - what a concept!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

Huh
Oct 11, 2003, 22:08
Enahs

Huh Oct 11, 2003, 22:08
Oct 11, 2003, 22:08
 Enahs

I am at work, someone got very sick, so I had to fell in.
I am very bored
I found this
http://bluesnews.gameaholic.com/
It has been updated recently? wtf
I think it is somehow just still tied in with some other database?

I am bored...

_____
Enahs
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older