Out of the Blue

You'd think that my mercy on the near-drowned spider the other day would earn me some slack from the beasties in and around the house, but I got caught in webs this morning in both the driveway and the bathroom (of all places). I guess these guys don't talk to each other too much.

I know case mods are all the rage, but I have a variation on that going here in the BlueTower after picking up a blue (naturally) rope light at the Home Depot the other day, which I am now using as a desk mod. I have it strung around the shelf over my computers and in addition to decoration, it provides just enough light to be useful during late night gaming and such.

P.S. Happy birthday Bronco... no mailbag yet, but I did add your addition to the FAQ. =]

Play Time: Online ThinkTanks Demo. Thanks Tyler.
Links of the Day: WiFi - SM feel the global pain.
Turkey Testicle Festival. Thanks Ben. Nutty!
Stories of the Day: Wildlife author killed, eaten by bears he loved. Thanks Greg McNeil.
FCC: Bono did not violate indecency rules.
Muslim doll offers modest alternative to Barbie.
Science!: Sleep Appears to Rescue Memories (registration required).
Road Trip for Robots (registration required).
Report: Even 'good' air quality affects asthmatic kids.
Image of the Day: I'll Be Back! - 2006 - Davis For Governor. Thanks Ant.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

shavers
Oct 16, 2003, 05:48
shavers Oct 16, 2003, 05:48
Oct 16, 2003, 05:48

While I can appreciate the "cool" factor of an old time straight razor, and I can understand why a kid with 12 whiskers would opt for what he beleives is a technologically advanced electric razor, I will stick with my Mach 3. Actually it is the most technologically advanced. "did you know that the blades are coated with synthetic diamond?" Hence the expensive price of blades. Electric shavers will never be the closest shave because you always have a thin foil between your skin and the blade. The Mach 3 lets me quickly shave in the shower, using the same conditioner i use on my head to precondition my beard before shaving. An odd topic for a gaming forum, but interesting.

Re: Mach 3
Oct 15, 2003, 18:25
Re: Mach 3 Oct 15, 2003, 18:25
Oct 15, 2003, 18:25

Buy a straight blade... I bought one for $180 (canadian) and it has lasted 5 years so far. When you get the hang of it, the shave removes a layer of skin, and you are good for three days! There is also NO screwing about with the damn hairs getting caught between blades in those 2-3 bladed ones. It also looks cool to be drawing a straight blade across your neck and jugular as you shave...

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

Oct 10, 2003, 09:06
nin
Re: Mach 3 Oct 10, 2003, 09:06
Oct 10, 2003, 09:06
nin

Maybe I'm not buying an expensive enough electric razor but in my experience they just don't cut it. The shave I get from the Mach 3 is much closer than any electric I've used. Actually in my experience with electrics I've jammed the things into my face to try and get them to cut my whiskers.

It's my understanding a blade will get a lot closer than an electric. But I still use an electric anyway...when I bother to shave, that is. Which is about every 6 months to a year. Which is generally right before I get on an airplane...

Airport security tend to pay extra attention to men with the "Grizzly Adams" look and long hair...

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

Oct 10, 2003, 07:53
Re: Mach 3 Oct 10, 2003, 07:53
Oct 10, 2003, 07:53

> d00d! You guys are sorry excuses for geeks! Why don't you guys use electric razors? Huh?

Maybe I'm not buying an expensive enough electric razor but in my experience they just don't cut it. The shave I get from the Mach 3 is much closer than any electric I've used. Actually in my experience with electrics I've jammed the things into my face to try and get them to cut my whiskers.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a fredster boiled in acid and dipped in wax" fanclub.
-------------------
Ignore me!!!

Re: No subject
Oct 10, 2003, 02:13
Re: No subject Oct 10, 2003, 02:13
Oct 10, 2003, 02:13

I suppose Rush Limbaugh could expand on the subject if you can get ahold of him.....

lol
----
Some people risk to employ me...
Some people live to destroy me...
...Either way, they die.

a-hem...
Oct 10, 2003, 00:39
a-hem... Oct 10, 2003, 00:39
Oct 10, 2003, 00:39

as a San Diego resident, all I have to say is ARNOLD FOR MEIN FUEHRER.

If he gets this state outta the mess its in, Ill goosestep and gas some innocent people if he asks for it.

Oct 9, 2003, 23:16
Re: Mach 3 Oct 9, 2003, 23:16
Oct 9, 2003, 23:16

d00d! You guys are sorry excuses for geeks! Why don't you guys use electric razors? Huh?

They're soooo much easier, and sooo much more... technologically advanced.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
This comment was edited on Oct 9, 23:17.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Oct 9, 2003, 21:38
WarPig

Re: Mach 3 Oct 9, 2003, 21:38
Oct 9, 2003, 21:38
 WarPig

As for the origin of the smegma buildup, I think it may be residual silicone from these new fangled shaving creams.

That might be what it is because my M3 blades last forever and use the cheapest shaving cream I can find. Of course I have a Blue's style goatee...errrr sorry Blue... van dyke, so the razor never has to touch my toughest whiskers.

I want to try a straight razor. They are supposed to be amazingly close.

I had a straight razor shave once in my life and I didn't like it a bit. It just made me nervous as hell, I guess I'm not trusting enough to allow an old man to wield a razor around my jugular.

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

Oct 9, 2003, 21:33
Re: Mach 3 Oct 9, 2003, 21:33
Oct 9, 2003, 21:33

test

Oct 9, 2003, 20:58
Enahs

Re: Mach 3 Oct 9, 2003, 20:58
Oct 9, 2003, 20:58
 Enahs

I think it may be residual silicone from these new fangled shaving creams

I think that could be what WalterE was talking about, as I have never experienced that problem.
I however use old school shaving "cream", called Burma Shave.

Ever seen in old movies where a barber would have what looks like a coffee cup, and would take a brush and mix it up, and smear it all over the face. Well that is what it is, and it is great.

Also, a Great thing I learned recently, that works wonderful.
Take a shower before you shave, and take a little (very little needed) of hair conditioner, and "condition" the beard stubble. That really softens it up, makes it a much easier shave as well. And softer hair will dull the blade less, making it last longer as well.

I want to try a straight razor. They are supposed to be amazingly close
They are, that is how I got into the Burma Shave stuff, that is what the barber was using (and he was in his late 80’s). That got me hooked in the Burma Shave, and I tired straight razing my self once....god did that hurt, man I sucked at that. So I will totally agree with Hump on this one. I have not looked close in the mirror lately, but I did have a tiny scar from it!

Dan, sounds like you have curly beard hair? The Mach3 shaves it so close, that it has the option of becoming ingrown. I have heard this is fairly common when people shave their heads, if they have curly hair.

_____
Enahs
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Oct 9, 2003, 20:38
Re: Mach 3 Oct 9, 2003, 20:38
Oct 9, 2003, 20:38

I want to try a straight razor. They are supposed to be amazingly close

find a barber who is experienced with a straight razor and is set up for it (hot towels, soap, etc). Using one yourself takes a great deal of practice in both shaving and stropping the razor itself. Its a lot harder than it looks and you can really butcher yourself in the process (trust me, I learned first hand...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Oct 9, 2003, 20:31
Bronco

Re: Mach 3 Oct 9, 2003, 20:31
Oct 9, 2003, 20:31
 Bronco

Someone once told me that it's not the blade actually getting dull, but that there's a build up of 'smegma' that could be removed with a special solution, but I don't know what that is.

First off, I can't imagine associating the word 'smegma' with my face. But thats just me.

I imagine a vinegar solution would strip away whatever is building up on the blade.

As for the origin of the smegma buildup, I think it may be residual silicone from these new fangled shaving creams. I tried one a while ago that was primarily silicone and while it did deliver a close shave blades where wasted in 2-3 shaves.

I want to try a straight razor. They are supposed to be amazingly close.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

Oct 9, 2003, 20:09
Re: Mach 3 Oct 9, 2003, 20:09
Oct 9, 2003, 20:09

mach 3 gives me ingrown hairs the day after and it looks like my face is exploding with zits..

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
ExcessDan

Random Comment - Mail Bag
Oct 9, 2003, 19:02
Random Comment - Mail Bag Oct 9, 2003, 19:02
Oct 9, 2003, 19:02

Perhaps you should do another round of mail bag for no reason, other than for the hell of it

umm
Oct 9, 2003, 17:52
umm Oct 9, 2003, 17:52
Oct 9, 2003, 17:52

i dont get it, you all talk about various insects being the bane of the earth when it is quite obvious that the only insect that deserves to be extinct is the f****ng mosquito!

There is no other insect nearly as annoying, none.

Happy Birthday Bronco!

habby late birthday cyberfury!

BTW it was mine back in september... the 12th no less... should any body feel like sending me late late donations i take blank checks and cash.

------
Marketing, The New Religion!!
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Oct 9, 2003, 17:33
Re: No subject Oct 9, 2003, 17:33
Oct 9, 2003, 17:33

Mmm, opium...chasing the dragon.
*cough* Druggie *cough*

Image of the Day VS Arnold
Oct 9, 2003, 17:22
Image of the Day VS Arnold Oct 9, 2003, 17:22
Oct 9, 2003, 17:22

Here's a story about the recall. How many Arnold Schwarzenegger movie references can you spot?
--------------
There was a total recall in the state of California where a running man by the name of Arnold Schwarzenegger became a predator to take Grey Davis's place. On the eve of the election the LA-Times reported some true lies by the governor in a failed smear campaign that any kindergarten cop could have seen through. But in the end the terminator became the junior governor-elect, who will have a raw deal trying to put an eraser to the red heat caused by the budget problems the state is facing. Other states may see collateral damage from this historic process by becoming California's twin and duplicating the commando-style recall effort in their states. It has been weeks, but the 6th day of October marked the end of days for the circus surrounding the recall. Arnold plans on making a victory speach tonight on Jay Leno, followed by election day highlights on Conan O'Brien. This will be candidate-Arnold's last action here, oh, and may we be the first to say congratulations.

Oct 9, 2003, 17:10
Re: No subject Oct 9, 2003, 17:10
Oct 9, 2003, 17:10

Mmm, opium...chasing the dragon.

Ketchup? Catsup? Ketchup? Catsup? Oh dear, I'm in over my head.
- Mr. Burns
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Oct 9, 2003, 16:50
Re: Mach 3 Oct 9, 2003, 16:50
Oct 9, 2003, 16:50

Someone once told me that it's not the blade actually getting dull, but that there's a build up of 'smegma' that could be removed with a special solution, but I don't know what that is.

Probably not something you want on your face.

Currently playing: ARMA 3 mods and DayZ

Birthday
Oct 9, 2003, 16:30
Birthday Oct 9, 2003, 16:30
Oct 9, 2003, 16:30

Happy Birthday, Bronco!

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older