Game Reviews

View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

No subject
Oct 8, 2003, 15:06
No subject Oct 8, 2003, 15:06
Oct 8, 2003, 15:06

Not a bad review of Chaser, I really like how he points out that since Half-Life 2 or Doom 7, all games are unfortunately compared too them. Its really sad and certianly not right to judge a good game like this by something that hasnt even been released. With the crap that was Unreal 2 (im saying that as a diehard fan of Unreal (feel my Pain) too) and so many other less quality titles over the last 2 years Chaser is a blessing (not perfect by any means), plus this is thier first FPS engine, for a first effort this is just amazing work.

Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Re: No subject
Oct 8, 2003, 15:30
Re: No subject Oct 8, 2003, 15:30
Oct 8, 2003, 15:30

Apparently ,it is extraordinarily difficult for a game review site to act like it's possible to buy more than one game a year, as evidenced by the "if you buy one game this year, make sure it's (xxxxx)" and "(yyyyy) is a lackluster game, easily overshadowed by (xxxxx)".

It would be much more useful to everyone involved if review sites would simply judge the game on it's own merits, rather than try and compare them to other games, mudsling, or belittle people who enjoy that type of game.

The past year or two has seen this repeated over and over -- we had it for The Sims series, and Postal 2, both best-sellers, and both relatively good games, if you didn't compare them to an unreasonable and atypical example (such as Doom3 or Half-Life2), and we see it in these relatively overlooked games like Chaser. Meanwhile, at the same time, very average games such as the Halo PC port get relegated to Godlike status.

It's very confusing to see this discongruity, and is ultimately self-defeating to the game industry as a whole. Crappy and average games with good PR get heralded over attempts at innovative titles (such as Chaser), or titles that may pose a more unusual "taste" (looking at Postal 2 here). And the poor people who like the "non-stereotypical game" get "yet another stupid expansion pack" (The Sims series).

It's no wonder that the same boring crap continues to be pumped out year after year. We lie to each other and ourselves over what makes a game good or fun, then play them anyway.

Oct 8, 2003, 17:14
Re: No subject Oct 8, 2003, 17:14
Oct 8, 2003, 17:14

I'll probably pick up Chaser eventually simply because it sounds like a decent game and it comes from a new, not-popular, dev house. I bought Veitcong on a whim using the same reasoning and was *extremely* happy. Savage also seems like it may fit this description.

I know there are a lot of people who would use the same logic when buying new music (underground label/band that nobody pays much attention to), but it doesn't seem this way of thinking has really made it to the gaming population as of yet... I guess this could be due to the price differences between music and video games, ah well whatever...

Chrome
Oct 8, 2003, 18:42
Chrome Oct 8, 2003, 18:42
Oct 8, 2003, 18:42

I have a press build of Chrome. For all intents and purposes its the finished game. As one of the bigger critics of the game I'm starting to think I may be eating my words in the near future.

The game is fun. While it treads some well worn FPS conventions the game has quite a bit of depth. If I had to describe it its sort of a more action oriented version of Deus Ex minus the more intelligent dialogue. Graphically its gorgeous. I've only really gotten a short way in but so far I'm very pleasantly surprised.

I'll update as I get further in the game.

-Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!
This comment was edited on Oct 8, 18:43.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Oct 8, 2003, 19:28
Re: No subject Oct 8, 2003, 19:28
Oct 8, 2003, 19:28

I think the near universal habit of comparing just released games to the currently hyped ones is pretty insidious.

It downgrades a game with a completely different development cycle and frequently goals to a game that's not even out of the cooker yet. It's unfair to the game, builds potentially unreasonable expectations for games to come and just feeds into the "wait for the next big thing" mentality which keeps quality titles from being noticed.

Not that anybody cares...
Oct 9, 2003, 01:38
Not that anybody cares... Oct 9, 2003, 01:38
Oct 9, 2003, 01:38

...but SOE rolled out its latest "mega" update for SWG.

Er...at least SOE tried to.

ALL DAY LONG the servers have either been down or up, but then locked to all players (only developers or CSRs can login.) Amusingly, even if a server is locked, SOE will report it as being up.

This is all from a patch that is trying to fix things from the last "mega" update, trying to fix launch-day issues, and which still ignores a number of launch-day issues.

/feh

Keep away from this game.

Amazed by how poor a job SOE is doing,
Ray

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10-03-03 at 10:24 PM: My mother, Deborah Lynn Marden, passed away.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Not that anybody cares...
Oct 9, 2003, 02:22
Re: Not that anybody cares... Oct 9, 2003, 02:22
Oct 9, 2003, 02:22

I can sympathize.

SWG is the single buggiest game I've ever played, and probably of all time. Many skills are completely broken, and have been broken since launch. Missions and hunting are monotonous. And what's up with those all-powerful AT-STs the Imperials get? Rebels have nothing to counter them... talk about imbalance.

My advice is to check back in a year or 2 (it will take at least that long to iron out the huge number of issues this game has) and then see if it's worth trying. Of course by then, World of Warcraft will be out...
-Vlad
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer