Out of the Blue

I heard a report on the radio this morning saying that the approval rating for soon-to-be ex-Governor Gray Davis in California is actually lower than Richard Nixon's was at the height of the Watergate scandal. I don't know enough about my own state's politics to make an intelligent comment about anyone else's, but that sure struck me as an interesting factoid.

Links of the Day: Straight Dope Staff Report: What's the Scroll Lock key on my computer for?
Stories of the Day: Angry Moroccan teacher throws pupils out of window. Thanks Miguel Gonzalez.
Science!: AAA Battery Gets a Mini-Me.
Finding a cure for the common needle.
Image of the Day: New Photos of 'Astounding' Mars.
Follow-up: Court Allows U.S. to Enforce No-Call Rule (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: NO
Oct 9, 2003, 22:06
Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 22:06
Oct 9, 2003, 22:06

sigh

Oct 9, 2003, 17:20
Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 17:20
Oct 9, 2003, 17:20

I just don't have the patience to deal with obvious trolls and idiots like you and your pals, Melvin. However, that doesn't change the FACT, that I'm right and you're wrong. And it doesn't change the FACT, that you're just a dishonest little troll.

Ah, reminds me of the good ol' playground days. "I'm right, and you're wrong, nyah nyah." Heh, so much for civil intelligent discourse. But, really, what can you expect from extremists?

Oct 9, 2003, 15:47
Bronco

Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 15:47
Oct 9, 2003, 15:47
 Bronco

I just don't have the patience to deal with obvious trolls and idiots like you and your pals, Melvin.

http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/anger.html

In with the good air and out with the bad air...

Don't want you popping a blood vessel.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

Oct 9, 2003, 15:05
Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 15:05
Oct 9, 2003, 15:05

I just don't have the patience to deal with obvious trolls and idiots like you and your pals, Melvin. However, that doesn't change the FACT, that I'm right and you're wrong. And it doesn't change the FACT, that you're just a dishonest little troll.
So, fuck you very much, go troll someone else, trollboy.

Ketchup? Catsup? Ketchup? Catsup? Oh dear, I'm in over my head.
- Mr. Burns
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: walken
Oct 9, 2003, 12:33
Re: walken Oct 9, 2003, 12:33
Oct 9, 2003, 12:33

Was that Walken as "The Continental"?

sure was... "Please lie, uh, i mean sit... down... on my couch..."

- tron -

---
"tron is big and tron is full of action"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

Oct 9, 2003, 11:48
WarPig

Re: walken Oct 9, 2003, 11:48
Oct 9, 2003, 11:48
 WarPig

warpig - know this one: "i've seen you before through my periscope... uh, i mean... on the elevator..."?

Was that Walken as "The Continental"?

"Wowie, wow, wow, wow!"

"You are too exquisite to leave so soon, my arctic hush puppy."

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

Re: A little over 2 years ago today
Oct 9, 2003, 09:30
Enahs

Re: A little over 2 years ago today Oct 9, 2003, 09:30
Oct 9, 2003, 09:30
 Enahs

Happy birthday Bronco!

If I would of known, I would of gotten in a MP game with you, and spanked that ass, for as many years old you are!

I remember that mail bag, that is actually how I was hooked on blues. At the time VE(when it did not suck) would make a small blurb about the new mailbag additions!

*nods* at ninnys suggestion , do em!!

_____
Enahs
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Re: A little over 2 years ago today
Oct 9, 2003, 09:20
nin

Re: A little over 2 years ago today Oct 9, 2003, 09:20
Oct 9, 2003, 09:20
 nin

BLUE! Bronco's birthday wish is a mailbag! What da'ya say?!

<nin elbows Bronco>
dude...puppydog eyes...quick!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

A little over 2 years ago today
Oct 9, 2003, 08:05
Bronco

A little over 2 years ago today Oct 9, 2003, 08:05
Oct 9, 2003, 08:05
 Bronco

Was the last mailbag posted here.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?show=228

I miss the mailbag.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. For the first time in years my parents actually remembered my birthday. I suspect my wife has something to do with that.

Birthdays become less and less significant as we age. Here I am at the apporximate 'midpoint' of my life and it really is just another day with free DVDs.

I want my mailbag!

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

No subject
Oct 9, 2003, 04:25
No subject Oct 9, 2003, 04:25
Oct 9, 2003, 04:25

It's funny that there are so many people in the "Blame Clinton" crowd. Unemployment rate? Clinton's fault. Deficit? Clinton's fault (even though when he left office there was a nice surplus estimate of $5.6 trillion over the next 10 years). War of 1812, White House set afire? Clinton's fault.

I didn't much like Clinton, for the record. He was just another in a long line of corporate presidents, although he's not nearly as corporate influenced as Bush. But you people blaming Clinton for stuff caused by Bush, that's just pathetic. Do you really buy that spin, do you watch Fox News and think it's Fair and Balanced and you have the whole story? Yeah, sorry, but you're being fooled.

Remember when Bush said his trillions of dollars in tax cuts would boost the employment rate? Didn't happen, did it? In 2001, the $1.3 trillion tax cut was supposed to boost employment, and in the time after it was enacted unemployment was actually increasing (even before 9/11 happened). The 2003 tax cut (something around $600 billion I think) was supposed to create about 200,000 new jobs by March, or somewhere near there, but jobs continued to be lost.

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah. That's just one example. Don't forget all of the other sleazy shit Bush and Pals get away with while the corporate media covers for them.

But, I guess if you just wanna put the blinders on and and delude yourself and think Bush is some great savior, go ahead. Go watch Fox News, blame Clinton, blame anyone that isn't Bush if it makes you feel better. I just hope it comes back and bites you in the ass (if it hasn't already) and gives you a wake-up call.

Whee, rant!
----
Some people risk to employ me...
Some people live to destroy me...
...Either way, they die.

Oct 9, 2003, 04:07
Re: walken Oct 9, 2003, 04:07
Oct 9, 2003, 04:07

Yes, absurd, but very amusing. It has brought a grin to my face. That skit with Walken was a classic!

Oct 9, 2003, 04:06
Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 04:06
Oct 9, 2003, 04:06

It's a good idea that Halsy has started to quote sources that can explain what purports to be Halsy's position. Generally written in a logical, clear, and mature form. Sadly, like so many of the ilk, Halsy uses name calling and profanity when challenged.

Halsy phrases to win arguments and influence people:

fucking reactionaries!

you're just intentionally dishonest

you're that politically naieve or dishonest

Don't be fatuous

they're incapable of forming a cogent arguement

I don't know what parallel Universe you're talking about, but in this Universe you're dead wrong.

Have another hit on the crack pipe.

Obviously facts don't seem to matter to you, so by all means keep right on deluding yourself

Had you a real education yourtself,

You really are on drugs, aren't you?

MORE COWBELL!

walken
Oct 9, 2003, 03:06
walken Oct 9, 2003, 03:06
Oct 9, 2003, 03:06

Walken: "More cowbell!"

yeah! one of the best SNL skits of all time!!!

does anyone else find it absurd that in the middle of this raging political debate a few of us are having this insane conversation about making a band with spoons, cowbell, kazoo, screeching vocals, washboard solos and the like? stuff like that makes life worth living...

btw, nin, great lyrics

warpig - know this one: "i've seen you before through my periscope... uh, i mean... on the elevator..."?

- tron -

---
"tron is big and tron is full of action"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

Oct 9, 2003, 02:00
Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 02:00
Oct 9, 2003, 02:00

On a sidenote, Halsy, while your democratic hawking bullshit crawls up my ass like five day dirty underwear, I will admit you do seem to know a lot about politics

Thanks for the backhanded compliment. I'll take that to mean it's at least got you thinking, which is all I want to make people do when it comes to politics. It's sad that most people don't, they merely react (fucking reactionaries!).

So when you say "If this starts happening everywhere", I have to ask, CAN it actually happen elsewhere? I didn't think it was Federal Law or anything.

Rather than spell it out, here's an article that explains it pretty well.

http://governing.com/articles/9recall.htm

Great political magazine btw.

From that same article, this helps support what I was pointing out eariler...

"We are living, after all, in a time of “slightly unhinged partisanship,” in the words of University of Kansas political scientist Burdett Loomis. The nation is split almost down the middle politically, which is why the two major parties exploit their every advantage in an almost Hobbesian fight for power. Consider, for example, the legal wrangling over the 2000 presidential election results in Florida. Or the current efforts by Republicans in Colorado and Texas to redraw congressional maps to create more districts to the GOP’s advantage. Or Gray Davis’ own $10 million ad campaign last year against former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan in the GOP primary, helping to deny the nomination of the candidate he least wanted to face in November — part of a growing trend of candidates interfering in the other party’s primary. Formerly extreme and extraordinary political and legal tactics are being used with increasing regularity. There’s little reason to think that recalls will be an exception."

and...

"Loomis says that the recall was meant as a tool for getting rid of particularly egregious offenders who refused to leave office on their own legs, but in California it’s currently being used for partisan political reasons. “You end up with a politics that is continually contentious, and there’s almost no time to sit down and deliberate your way out of a difficult situation,” he says. “Rather than having an election and saying, ’Okay, for the next two years or four years, this is the way it’s going to be,’ you politicize everything: We will redistrict because we can, we will impeach because we can, we will recall because we can.”

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 02:02.
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: Recall
Oct 9, 2003, 01:47
Re: Recall Oct 9, 2003, 01:47
Oct 9, 2003, 01:47

Uh. I didn't say anything about a mandate or the other statements you attribute. I think we know what you're about, you little troller, you. That's cool. Have fun.

No, you're just intentionally dishonest. And you call me a troll? Yeah...thanks for coming out anyway, champ.

Ketchup? Catsup? Ketchup? Catsup? Oh dear, I'm in over my head.
- Mr. Burns
- Stephen Colbert

Oct 9, 2003, 00:41
WarPig

Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 00:41
Oct 9, 2003, 00:41
 WarPig

the director said that they actually ended up not cutting anything from the movie.

The difference here probably is that I'm remembering what the special effects guy said he did. The director might have taken one look and said, "nice work, but that's just sick".

No, I'm sure that the FX guy said that there was stuff that he did that left nothing to the imagination - he was very proud and obviously disappointed that it wasn't shown. Either way, I'm of the opinion that what we imagine can be much more effective than having everything shown on the screen.

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

Oct 9, 2003, 00:31
Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 00:31
Oct 9, 2003, 00:31

I have that BladeRunner DVD. Great movie. And Happy B-day (though late) Bronco.

Re: Recall
Oct 9, 2003, 00:22
Re: Recall Oct 9, 2003, 00:22
Oct 9, 2003, 00:22

Don't be fatuous. You know exactly what I mean.

Unfortunately, while I may know what you meant, you didn't get what I meant.

Whilst Kennedy is representing you, there are a bunch of folks on the right not being represented. That's not really fair to them, is it?

Dude, compared to you, Kennedy is on the right! In fact, I bet you wouldn't even vote for his nephew-in-law!

You assume that I agree with Kennedy's policies. But if I didn't agree with any of them, he would still be my representative. I understand that this doesn't match your view, but that's the way I view it. If I don't like it, I'll move. But that's the way geographical representation works. Sure, he may not be a proponent of my social or economic policies (and don't assume he isn't, I'm making a point), but he's still charged to be a proponent of my interests (and the interests of the rest of his constituents). If he chooses not to, then he'll eventually be voted out (recalled! ;P).

Why are you assuming that anyone not GOP or Democrat is some ultra-extremist? The Greens and Libertarians have some radical ideals, but I wouldn't classify them as extremist.

Because I met too many of them. Oh, and you remember when I said that everyone thinks that their view is in the center (or close to it)? My point made.

LOL, I have yet to meet anyone that says, "yup, I'm an extremist."

Even if they were, why should people who don't want the GOP or Democrats, not be represented?

Like I said, they are. Maybe not their policies, but their interests are. If you try to measure it by ideology you'll never win. No matter how close someone is to you, or if they are in your party, you still won't agree with every policy they have. Where do you draw the line? If we all became one party under the Libertarian flag, we'd still find something else to disagree about. Then are we still not represented?

In the end, the only promise that can be made to you, is that your interests will be represented, not your policies.

Oct 9, 2003, 00:13
Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 00:13
Oct 9, 2003, 00:13

Sadly, I only own the Special Edition on VHS at the moment... my original VHS died long ago, and I've only seen the Special Edition on DVD.

Oh, wow, man. I, like, totally love the special ed version of Blade Runner. Without that, like, crazy runny background dialog, I can, like, make up my own mind what is going on.

-- Styro
Damn, 5.5 seconds without refreshing lowbrow and I'm getting withdrawl shakes...

Oct 9, 2003, 00:07
indiv

Re: NO Oct 9, 2003, 00:07
Oct 9, 2003, 00:07
 indiv

I remember way back when the movie first came out hearing the special effects dude saying how they had to cut all the "cool" realistic effects they had for the chainsaw scene (to keep the movie from being rated X).

I watched the Scarface special that was on Spike TV a couple weeks ago, and the director said that they actually ended up not cutting anything from the movie. From what I understand, they submitted 3 versions of the movie, but each one got an 'X' rating because they didn't tone it down quite enough. But then they won some legal battle to get an 'R' rating on the film, and ended up using the first cut of the film.

Although maybe the first cut they submitted to the MPAA just didn't include all they originally wanted to put in the film. Either way, now I don't know what to believe! Someone with the DVD help us out.

114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older