Evening Q&As

• Deus Ex: Invisible War
    The Deus Ex: Invisible War Q&A on Computer and Video Games interrogates a few of the folks behind development of Deus Ex: Invisible War, ION Storm's upcoming RPG sequel, learning: "We are in the final stages of development and testing. Tuning and balancing the game to make it as fun as possible, we are basically wrapping up the loose ends and putting a fine coat of polish on the game. Invisible War will be available in early December on both Xbox and PC."
  • Contract J.A.C.K.
    Jolt.co.uk's Contract J.A.C.K. Q&A is their conversation with Monolith's Craig Hubbard about their upcoming NOLF 2 prequel. They discuss gameplay, the story, gadgets, the game engine, and more.
  • Max Payne 2
    There's a Q&A with Sam Lake on IGN talking briefly with the Remedy Entertainment writer who served as the model for the hero in the original Max Payne. There is also a Max Payne 2 Update GameSpot that likewise features some quotes from Sam about the now-gold shooter sequel.
  • Dragon Empires
    RPG Vault's Dragon Empires Q&A #35 talks once again with Peter Tyson of Codemasters, discussing exploration and crafting in their upcoming MMORPG.
  • Darkfall
    The Erik Johansen Q&A on Darkfall Warcry talks with the network programmer on the upcoming MMORPG about the technology they are using to try and permit for an unprecedented number of simultaneous players.
  • Anito
    The Anito Q&A on Gamers With Jobs talks with Luna Cruz, story writer at Anino Entertainment about Anito: Defend A Land Enraged, an unheralded RPG in the works in the Philippines.
View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No cutscenes?
Oct 9, 2003, 08:20
Re: No cutscenes? Oct 9, 2003, 08:20
Oct 9, 2003, 08:20

I agree that is what he says, and I half expected a solution like the one you mentioned. My point is rather if done this way the claim that "the player can really tell his or her own story" is not stricly true. The cutscenes you mention only makes it clear that there is a narrotor at work telling the story for you. Such things should be scripted. I think we will see that in HL2.

Re: No cutscenes?
Oct 8, 2003, 21:16
Re: No cutscenes? Oct 8, 2003, 21:16
Oct 8, 2003, 21:16

Can I hope that Deus Ex is a game that doesn't utilize cutscenes? If they have it, then what Money say isn't strictly true, and if they don't have it, the game might be important to raise more awareness for the need to develop interactive storytelling techniques - a lesson that quite incredibly has been overlooked in Half-Life.

The only things that could be called cutscenes are the conversations, which look to be the same as DX1. I highly doubt there are separate story-progressing cutscenes, though.

What Bill Money was saying, I believe, is that DX2 will give you an overall goal, but you can choose how to accomplish it. You can ally yourself with any of four different factions and will receive different missions depending on which you choose. DX2 looks to be taking story branching to a new level.

Re: DX2
Oct 8, 2003, 16:23
nin

Re: DX2 Oct 8, 2003, 16:23
Oct 8, 2003, 16:23
 nin

Yay! Well it looks like at least one good game hasn't been delayed until next year.

Cross your fingers, man...the way things seem to be going lately...

C'mon ION! Bring it home!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

DX2
Oct 8, 2003, 15:58
DX2 Oct 8, 2003, 15:58
Oct 8, 2003, 15:58

Yay! Well it looks like at least one good game hasn't been delayed until next year.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
This comment was edited on Oct 8, 15:58.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

No cutscenes?
Oct 8, 2003, 11:27
No cutscenes? Oct 8, 2003, 11:27
Oct 8, 2003, 11:27

From the article

>
>
Money: The great thing about a Deus Ex game is the player can really tell his or her own story. We provide a fictional outline and set up goals within that story, then let the player do things how they want, when they want.
>
>

Can I hope that Deus Ex is a game that doesn't utilize cutscenes? If they have it, then what Money say isn't strictly true, and if they don't have it, the game might be important to raise more awareness for the need to develop interactive storytelling techniques - a lesson that quite incredibly has been overlooked in Half-Life.

Further: It is an interesting point that RPG-elements may be needed to develop interactive storytelling, but I think RPG-style skill interfaces are the wrong way to do it. Such interfaces have no real-life equivalents and are most likely a distraction for most players. The skills should either be developed automatically or as a result of direct external interaction, rather than interface interaction.

Re: Fuggin hell...
Oct 8, 2003, 06:39
Re: Fuggin hell... Oct 8, 2003, 06:39
Oct 8, 2003, 06:39

X2 bring it on! It better not let me down;)

Fuggin hell...
Oct 8, 2003, 01:30
Fuggin hell... Oct 8, 2003, 01:30
Oct 8, 2003, 01:30

I was hopin DX2 was going to be oot in Nov. Ahh well, at least X2 the Threat is due out in Nov.

Ketchup? Catsup? Ketchup? Catsup? Oh dear, I'm in over my head.
- Mr. Burns
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older