Out of the Blue

Still trying to work back into a normal schedule around here with all the recent goings on, but I needed to go back and sift through some submissions from the past few days to make sure things weren't falling through the cracks, so it's a bit of swimming against the tide.

On the bright side, having fought through this machine's objections to a system reinstall, a couple of nagging glitches that it had been demonstrating have cleared up, so there's still a way to view this glass as half-full (now I just need to be careful not to spill it).

Play Time: Defender of the Crown. Thanks Ray.
Spot the differences. Thanks Ant.
Link of the Day: Faux iPod Kit.
Stories of the Day: Man bitten by rattler while shopping at Wal-Mart. Thanks Stephanie.
Pentagon plans huge 'homeland defense' dirigible.
Free Mickey!
Science!: High hopes for smoke alarm mobile.
Sun lotions 'are not effective'.
Revenge of the Magnetar.
Images of the Day: Takin' it to the streets. Thanks Andrew Arace.
APOD 2003 October 1 - An Unusual Event Over South Wales. Thanks Ant.
Auction of the Day: Meet Hazel.. former groupie mannequin.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: jeepers creepers
Oct 3, 2003, 14:48
Re: jeepers creepers Oct 3, 2003, 14:48
Oct 3, 2003, 14:48

Watch number one first.

Contrary to popular opinion i believe Jeepers Creepers to be a work of genius, although there are a great many that owuld disagree,..

http://www.poorintern.com
- The Voices In My Fruit Loops Tell Me that a happy fredster is a fredster being force fed hot broken glass,...
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Re: Return of the giant airships
Oct 3, 2003, 00:20
Re: Return of the giant airships Oct 3, 2003, 00:20

And I'm just as sick of the democrats giving away money to people too damn lazy to work. Don't blame the GOP for wasting tax money - - the democrats had already perfected the process ...

edit: Eh, I'm surprised that Halsy didn't somehow work his degree into the typical "I'm right because your stupid" rant.

Oh great, now you've done it. Within 30 seconds Halsy will be here to tell you how his political science degree render's your opinion uneducated and irrelevent.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 00:22.

jeepers creepers
jeepers creepers Oct 3, 2003, 00:20

hey, have any of you seen the movies jeepers creepers parts 1 and 2... i'm wondering if i see the second one first if it will ruin the first movie for me....

thanks in advance....

- tron -

---
"tron is big and tron is full of action"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

Monkey Fist
Oct 2, 2003, 20:47
Enahs

Monkey Fist Oct 2, 2003, 20:47
Oct 2, 2003, 20:47
 Enahs

Hey Blue, I am curious (and anyone else here with dog's that got the link a few days ago to the Monkey Fist Knot)

Have you tried to make one? If so, did hudson like it?!

Dogs are cool, and while they can sometimes leak, they do not leak something worth hundreds of thousands of dollars!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Bounce
Oct 2, 2003, 20:04
Bounce Oct 2, 2003, 20:04
Oct 2, 2003, 20:04

Unannounced twister games,
All players with no names,
They lined up double quick,
But just one pogo stick,
Everyone gets to play,
Runaway, expose',
It was so exotic,
But just one pogo stick.

Jump, Bounce, Down, Up
Jump, Pogo X7
Bounce, Pogo X7
Down, Pogo X3
Up, Pogo X3
Jump, Pogo, Bounce, Pogo, Up, Pogo, Down

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Re: Half-Life 2 Leak
Oct 2, 2003, 19:49
Re: Half-Life 2 Leak Oct 2, 2003, 19:49
Oct 2, 2003, 19:49

do you ignroe me nin

/me stops fredster imitation

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
This comment was edited on Oct 2, 19:49.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Oct 2, 2003, 19:20
Enahs

Re: Half-Life 2 Leak Oct 2, 2003, 19:20
Oct 2, 2003, 19:20
 Enahs

I have to agree with nin on this

You guys are better than this.

Yes, I know I am, and thank you very much for pointing that out.
har har hardy har har, ayee matey
shiver me timbers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Oct 2, 2003, 18:48
nin

Re: Half-Life 2 Leak Oct 2, 2003, 18:48
Oct 2, 2003, 18:48
 nin

As much as I complain about Valve, I'd not wish this on anyone. It's gotta suck around there today.

Agreed. They've pissed me off, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I'm sure this kind of thing just does wonders for morale...

As for Halsy, I'm with Bronco. If you don't like Halsy's comments, skip them. But I don't think it's fair to compare him to fredster. They're not even close. fredster caused a ton of shit around here, and would say things JUST to get a rise out of people. Halsy doesn't do that. He expresses his views, just like the rest of us.

We're all here because we like games. But that doesn't mean we're always going to agree. That's life. If you don't like what someone else is saying, ignore it, and don't let it bother you.

There's at least a couple of people here I ignore...I won't let one or two people ruin my experience at an otherwise excellent site and board.

You guys are better than this. I know because we all managed to not kill each other through the difficult times a few weeks ago.

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/
This comment was edited on Oct 2, 18:50.

HL Source Code
Oct 2, 2003, 17:57
HL Source Code Oct 2, 2003, 17:57
Oct 2, 2003, 17:57

Man, the people at valve are beyond dumb. Why would they use the same computers for development and internet access? That was just an accident/hacking waiting to happen. I'm betting that it was a weak internet connection password or a lack of patching that enabled the person to snatch the source.

HL2 was looking pretty grim considering the whole steam garbage, but now it's just plain-old fux0r3d. And if Doom3 is released before HL2, everyone at valve is going to be looking for a new job.

Oct 2, 2003, 17:42
Re: Return of the giant airships Oct 2, 2003, 17:42

Come on guys, if you were going to hijack my discussion for a political debate, you could have at least put OT in the subject line

Sorry about that, my bad ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: Half-Life 2 Leak Oct 2, 2003, 17:42

If I were Valve, I'd be more concerned about the loss of IP. Five years of code just ended up in the competitor's hand. Yeah, a company would be nuts to use it, but you can learn a lot from reading someone else's code. As much as I complain about Valve, I'd not wish this on anyone. It's gotta suck around there today.

Oct 2, 2003, 17:29
Re: Return of the giant airships Oct 2, 2003, 17:29

But the fact of the matter is that no one really wants to hear radical leftist rantings about conspiracies on game news sites.

I don't agree with this. While I may not see eye to eye with Halsy I respect his right to voice his opinion here.

Like I said:
Okay, maybe fred does, but the rest of us really don't want to hear about what Halsy has convinced himself to believe.

I knew it was you all along, Bronco!

Sure, and we all respect fred's right to voice his opinion here too, right...? But really, do you want threads day after day to be like the Call of Duty thread? (http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=44462) That's all that it ever breaks down to. He's voiced his opinion here, great, now can we move on, or do we have to hear his same opinion day after day?

Re: Half-Life 2 Leak Oct 2, 2003, 17:29

As for the HL2 leak, its all over /. intrestingly tho the one thing that everyone is talking about is that the major impact is going to be in cheats and cd crackz.

People are already pulling the code apart, and unless valve come up with an impressive solution their will be some serious cheating going on online when it gets released. Its a shame really

- The Voices In My Fruit Loops Tell Me that a happy fredster is a fredster being force fed hot broken glass,...
------

Oct 2, 2003, 17:27
Re: Return of the giant airships Oct 2, 2003, 17:27
Oct 2, 2003, 17:27

I for one welcome the arrival of our Giant Airship Overlords,..

------

Oct 2, 2003, 17:21
Re: Half-Life 2 Leak Oct 2, 2003, 17:21
Oct 2, 2003, 17:21

Official word on the leak. http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10692

Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

Half-Life 2 Leak
Oct 2, 2003, 17:08
Half-Life 2 Leak Oct 2, 2003, 17:08
Oct 2, 2003, 17:08

OT, but the source for HL2 has been leaked. Quite a massive leak too, there are folders for HL, HL2, TF2, steam, CS, and some other crap. Figured I'd post it here, since it isn't in the news yet.

Oct 2, 2003, 17:07
Bronco

Re: Return of the giant airships Oct 2, 2003, 17:07
Oct 2, 2003, 17:07
 Bronco

But the fact of the matter is that no one really wants to hear radical leftist rantings about conspiracies on game news sites.

I don't agree with this. While I may not see eye to eye with Halsy I respect his right to voice his opinion here.

Besides, he's the only person I know that uses the word junta on a regular basis.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

Re: Dedicated Halo Server
Oct 2, 2003, 16:58
nin

Re: Dedicated Halo Server Oct 2, 2003, 16:58
Oct 2, 2003, 16:58
 nin

What do you expect them to say? Due to most reviewers saying the game runs like crap .. ?

Well...yeah!

I mean, do they expect us to think there was some kind of rabies induced mad rush for HALO?

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/

Re: Dedicated Halo Server
Oct 2, 2003, 16:57
Re: Dedicated Halo Server Oct 2, 2003, 16:57
Oct 2, 2003, 16:57

Those keyboards do look pretty cool. I might have to give it a try. How much is it before the rebate? I always forget to send those in.
This comment was edited on Oct 2, 16:59.

Oct 2, 2003, 16:56
Re: Return of the giant airships Oct 2, 2003, 16:56
Oct 2, 2003, 16:56

joe, you've missed out. He's posted long diatribes about how evil the "other side" must be, and posted plenty of evidence, albeit evidence that proves itself by pointing back at itself, but still evidence. So winning debates is easy, especially on the internet.

But the fact of the matter is that no one really wants to hear radical leftist rantings about conspiracies on game news sites. Okay, maybe fred does, but the rest of us really don't want to hear about what Halsy has convinced himself to believe. Really, whatever you want to believe, there's plenty of kooks out there who will give you "evidence" to help you advance your agenda.

So please, do us a favor and go write some newspaper columnist or something.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older