Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

XIII MP Demo Tomorrow

IGN sends word that they will be premiering a multiplayer demo for XIII tomorrow, offering the chance to sample the upcoming cel-shaded Unreal-engine first-person shooter.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: XIII SP RULED Oct 2, 2003, 16:39 Bob

Ok, then would you settle for "just another game... but with some very very cool effects thrown in, and the worst script ever written. EVER."?

Sadly, that would still beat 90% of what's out there.

But as for the script, I've never cared much about a game's story. There are books and movies for that. It would be nice as "gravy" but give me a game where glass shatters like real glass, crunches under your feet and DOESN'T dissapear, plus player models that get a bullet hole where you shoot them, wood that breaks like wood ect. Physics and world interaction - all these things I've wanted in a game even before anyone heard of HL2. Gaming has always been about virtual reality for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. XIII SP RULED Oct 2, 2003, 16:01 Jay K.

I loved it. It was much better than Cats. I want to see it again and again. I loved it. It was much better than Cats. I want to see it again and again. I loved it. It was much better than Cats. I want to see it again and again.

13. Re: Thir to the teen Oct 2, 2003, 10:50 MeatForce

Max Payne wasn't perfect but it was way WAY a hell of a lot better than 'just another game' even without bullet time.

Ok, then would you settle for "just another game... but with some very very cool effects thrown in, and the worst script ever written. EVER."?

edit: XIII, on the other hand looks to be pure sweetness. I thought I'd hate the whole 'visual noises' thing they've got going on, but it works really well. 'Style' really is the best word for describing this game, since it takes a whole bunch of fairly staid FPS conventions and gives each one a little jolt of something intangible.. I'm really psyched to play through the story too. Could give a rat's ass about multiplayer in this game, but I'm sure it'll be decent..
This comment was edited on Oct 2, 10:59.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

12. Re: Thir to the teen Oct 2, 2003, 05:12 Bob

the (Max Payne) story wasn't all that great and you remove bullet time, it's just another game

whoa there pard'ner!, you're forgetting about the great world interaction, ie, soda cans that fizz and spin when you shoot them, outstanding particle effects when bullets hit walls, and thost particle effects hold up and are even enhanced in slo-mo.

-different impact effects for different surfaces. Try shooting a wall of ceramic tiles in max payne, is there any game shooting experience more satisfying? The lobby scene in MP feels more like the matrix than Enter the matrix.

And don't forget the bullets which are modeled as actual 3d objects, and the details on the guns, you can almost read the caliber on the shell casings if you go into dev camera mode and "stop time". BTW if you have never done this it's one of the best aspects of Payne.

Max Payne wasn't perfect but it was way WAY a hell of a lot better than 'just another game' even without bullet time.

11. Re: Thir to the teen Oct 2, 2003, 02:44 Nox

"The SP demo is a must. This game is all about style, and it is going to likely be the most engaging FPS I've played since Metroid Prime."

I found it boring. The whole style thing was fun for about a minute, then the lack of anything original other than the cartoon feel became obviously apparent. If it wasn't for the cel shading most wouldn't give it a second thought.

10. Re: Good, bad, it's new (for PC's) Oct 2, 2003, 01:09 Wasyl

It's not just cel-shaded. It's got a whole graphic novel feel to it. If you played the demo, you'd know. It's oozing with style, and it's really sweet.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 01:09.

9. Re: Good, bad, it's new (for PC's) Oct 2, 2003, 01:08 quazz

It doesn't make the plot more compeling, but it gives style to the game. And sometime, that's just way more interesting then a lot of stuff. It's not only the cell-shading, but the pop-ups comic book windows...

Take Max Payne as an example, the story wasn't all that great and you remove bullet time, it's just another game. But with bullet time and the way the story was told (I'm part of those that liked the weird script), the game had enough style to raise it above the rest of the crowd.

And it's gameplay is different then most FPS (ie: stealth is actually a working option. By stealth, I mean kill your ennemy silently, not actual - don't be seen - stealth).

Style makes a game worth being played for more then a few levels. After the gameplay gimmics and any kind of original level design or technological innovation wears off.

8. Good, bad, it's new (for PC's) Oct 2, 2003, 00:44 Hunterzyph

The funny part about the whole thing is that it is just a plain old-fashioned FPS, only cel-shaded. That is the only true innovation here....does that make it worth playing? I'd say it elevates a level of 'fun' that as players we don't typically get in large increases. It may make the plot line all that more compelling...or it may not.

I for one am glad to see David Duchovny involved in something that will keep my attention for the first time since the X-Files went down the tubes (think Season 4 onward).

7. No subject Oct 1, 2003, 23:51 Acleacius

I hope your right about how good it will be. Im still deciding if cell shading is a good thing. Maybe the stills havent done it justice.

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

6. Thir to the teen Oct 1, 2003, 23:03 Da Stylin' Rastan

Was I thru XII any good?

The SP demo is a must. This game is all about style, and it is going to likely be the most engaging FPS I've played since Metroid Prime.

-DSR

EDIT: <--dumbass, thought he was asking if XIII was any good. Failed to see the joke.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 23:04.

5. No subject Oct 1, 2003, 22:39 D4rkKnight

Just a demo man, calm down

4. Re: Was I thru XII any good? Oct 1, 2003, 21:44 Dr.Del

Christ! It's like Xmas with all these great games coming out!!! Holy mother of Gaming Goodness!

I love it!

- Dr.Del

- DrDel

3. Was I thru XII any good? Oct 1, 2003, 21:39 JAGUART

Did I miss anything? Just wondering.

Public opinion version .12b Alpha

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

2. Yay! Oct 1, 2003, 20:39 Da Stylin' Rastan

Das w00ten!!!

1. eh Oct 1, 2003, 20:16 PHJF

neato...

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo