Half-Life 2 Interview

The Half-Life 2 Interview on GameSpot talks with Valve's Gabe Newell at an ATI event where Half-Life 2 would have been unveiled, had it met its original shipping schedule. The conversation covers a variety of topics about what to expect from the game, and the following on the knotty aspects of pinpointing a release date:
I hate release dates because no matter how hard we try, we screw them up. We held back talking about our release date going into September 30 because I wanted to have a much clearer idea of what day we were going to ship on.

Right now all we can say is holidays of this year, which to me feels really unfortunate. Our customers really want to know. They say, "Tell us what the date is going to be," and that's what they want to hear. They're fine with what the date is; they just want to know so they can plan accordingly.

Right now it's for the holidays. I wish we had a clearer date to give people at this time.
View : : :
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: No subject
Oct 6, 2003, 20:38
Re: No subject Oct 6, 2003, 20:38
Oct 6, 2003, 20:38

"Re: Enough with the fat jokes. Oct 2, 09:57 Jerebus

Are you immature assholes making personal attacks about the man's appearance just lashing out because you 'want your game NOW!!(WAH!!)' or does it actually make you feel better about your own miserable lives (and physical condition) to make fun of the fat dude? I'm guessing it's more of the latter.
pathetic.
I'm sure you are all sexy Brad Pitt looking studs, yeah, that's probably what people who obsessively post to gaming message boards look like...grow up."

STFU FATASS!

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 20:38.

Oct 3, 2003, 17:39
Re: No subject Oct 3, 2003, 17:39
Oct 3, 2003, 17:39

it is steam
stolen email log
http://www.myg0t.com/ChrisNewcombe-PR.txt

Oct 2, 2003, 20:01
Re: No subject Oct 2, 2003, 20:01
Oct 2, 2003, 20:01

"I'm sure this delay is a development issue, and has nothing to do with Steam. They're not going to delay the product two months when they can fix the bugs in Steam in a few weeks. Steam is a small, simple product."

If it was so simple, you think that they would have gotten it right back in January when they put it out on public beta. But they were so fucking stupid that they only used their own limited bandwidth & got crushed like a bug from the wave of people who wanted to try it.

Then when they release it as a product, more than 50% of people complained that it wasn't working.

STEAM IS THE REASON HALF-LIFE IS DELAYED.

Oct 2, 2003, 19:59
Re: No subject Oct 2, 2003, 19:59
Oct 2, 2003, 19:59

"There is NO DIFFERENCE in money when it comes to releasing it now or on Chrismas frickin' day. Half-Life 2 will sell all the copies they've projected to sell and more. This is not a money issue."

It is ALWAYS a money issue.

Re: Late video games
Oct 2, 2003, 14:13
Re: Late video games Oct 2, 2003, 14:13
Oct 2, 2003, 14:13

Maybe valve decided to

1-Partner with Microsoft 2-Remove the blood 3-ditch the multi 4-make it an x-box exclusive 5-release a pc version in 5 years.

no wait, that would make them Bungie.

That's damn funny!!!!!!!!!

I'd be laughing... if I wasn't crying. Sad, but true! : (

No subject
Oct 2, 2003, 13:46
No subject Oct 2, 2003, 13:46
Oct 2, 2003, 13:46

There is NO DIFFERENCE in money when it comes to releasing it now or on Chrismas frickin' day. Half-Life 2 will sell all the copies they've projected to sell and more. This is not a money issue.

A demo shown at E3 may look complete, but you don't know how complete it is. It's watching a movie. You don't get to test the product, you get to watch a developer who knows what to do to not have the demo crash play the game. There's a big difference between a non-interactive demo and the real thing.

I'm sure this delay is a development issue, and has nothing to do with Steam. They're not going to delay the product two months when they can fix the bugs in Steam in a few weeks. Steam is a small, simple product.

I'm sure they found a bug in testing that they couldn't ship with that ended up being a massive project to repair, and that's what they're doing. That kind of thing happens all the time. You run into a problem that can only be fixed with a gigantic architecture change, and you can be looking at extended development time, plus the extra testing to make sure the fix works and that you didn't break anything else.

Software code is touchy. You fix one thing, you break something else. It takes a long time to get it right. That's just the way it is.

Re: Ok, ok, ... but
Oct 2, 2003, 11:41
Re: Ok, ok, ... but Oct 2, 2003, 11:41
Oct 2, 2003, 11:41

Has to do with radioactivity.
A radioactive atom can at any given moment decay, or not. If you watch the atom, this can take a nanosecond, or billions of years, with no way to predict when. However, this evens out, sorta, when you have a bunch of atoms. Eventhough a single atom is unpredictable, with many atoms, we can predict when a certain percentage of the atoms are left. And this, due to the law of averages, ticks like a clock. And the time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay, is that radioactive element's half-life. This is the basis for radio-carbon dating, for instance.

Oct 2, 2003, 09:59
Re: Late video games Oct 2, 2003, 09:59
Oct 2, 2003, 09:59

Hell, if it's a difference between $5 million and $40 million in profit, I'd sit on the game for a couple of months too. Not that I know which orifice you pulled those numbers out of.

I think there were probably a number of factors going into this delay. I'm sure the game will benefit from some more tweaking and polishing and bug-testing. I'm sure Valve wants to wait and let ATI and NVidia get their latest cards and drivers a little more stable. I'm sure Valve would like Steam to be tested a little more thoroughly before HL2 comes out. The fact that D3 won't be coming out until next year, and HL2 will be the major game release of the holiday season.. the probably played a part too. Delaying release a couple of months will probably result in a lot more sales.

I really don't care. I have other things to do. I'm not going to sit here in front of a blank screen, moving my mouse around making shooting noises with my mouth and pretending that I'm playing HL2. Valve has a lot of good-will in the bank from HL1 and all the mods and add-ons and extras they released for free. I'll get on with my life and play HL2 when it's ready

I'm sprawled across the davenport of despair.
It's the land of the brave, and the home of the free, where the less you know the better off you'll be.

Re: Enough with the fat jokes.
Oct 2, 2003, 09:57
Re: Enough with the fat jokes. Oct 2, 2003, 09:57
Oct 2, 2003, 09:57

Are you immature assholes making personal attacks about the man's appearance just lashing out because you 'want your game NOW!!(WAH!!)' or does it actually make you feel better about your own miserable lives (and physical condition) to make fun of the fat dude? I'm guessing it's more of the latter.
pathetic.
I'm sure you are all sexy Brad Pitt looking studs, yeah, that's probably what people who obsessively post to gaming message boards look like...grow up.

Re: HL2 is not delayed...
Oct 2, 2003, 09:32
Re: HL2 is not delayed... Oct 2, 2003, 09:32
Oct 2, 2003, 09:32

mmm. Just imagine how the repayments on that lawsuit are going to go with your other debts and loans.

No subject
Oct 2, 2003, 08:58
No subject Oct 2, 2003, 08:58
Oct 2, 2003, 08:58

I wouldnt be surprised in the least if it gets delayed again until "1st quater 2004". In fact, Id say there was a 50/50 chance of it.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Ok, ok, ... but
Oct 2, 2003, 08:45
Ok, ok, ... but Oct 2, 2003, 08:45
Oct 2, 2003, 08:45

Why is it called HALF-life ?
Can somebody explain ?
Thanks in advance.

HL2 is not delayed...
Oct 2, 2003, 08:31
HL2 is not delayed... Oct 2, 2003, 08:31
Oct 2, 2003, 08:31

and will probably be released within a week but not from valve. It will be available for download at sourceforge.net since the HL2 source code has been leaked

ok, we still need the models, maps, soundfiles and textures but I think we have a talented community

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 09:43.

Enough with the fat jokes.
Oct 2, 2003, 08:22
Enough with the fat jokes. Oct 2, 2003, 08:22
Oct 2, 2003, 08:22

Jesus, so he's fat, so the fuck what. You can't get on a forum thread about half-life 2 anymore w/o hearing "OMFG GABE IS FAT I WANT MY HAFLIFE2!!!11! LOLLERS!! DID YOU HEAR ME? I SAID HES FAT!!! OMG HES FAT AND I WANT MY HL2 PLZ K THX!!!!11!1"

Oct 2, 2003, 08:04
Re: Late video games Oct 2, 2003, 08:04
Oct 2, 2003, 08:04

48:

You forgot to mention :" MAKE IT CRAP! "

Halo on XBOx is gRRRReat!
Halo on PC is tRRRash!

Oct 2, 2003, 05:45
Bob
Re: Late video games Oct 2, 2003, 05:45
Oct 2, 2003, 05:45
Bob

Maybe valve decided to

1-Partner with Microsoft 2-Remove the blood 3-ditch the multi 4-make it an x-box exclusive 5-release a pc version in 5 years.

no wait, that would make them Bungie.

Oct 2, 2003, 05:12
Re: Late video games Oct 2, 2003, 05:12
Oct 2, 2003, 05:12

Looks like we either have a Valve Software employee or a psychic here. Or we would if he were correct. Let me ask you something; do you take everything everyone says as a bald face lie?

And as for your proof: Cripes man, a dozen psuedo levels does NOT equal a complete game. And the engine can be as complete as can be, but it doesn't mean JACK if the content isn't complete =P If they levels and models and etc. etc. aren't all done, then they can't bloody well release the game. Plus once everything is together, you still have to playtest the thing to death.

I'm guessing I hit a nerve or something, so I apologize. But seriously man, stop with the conspirarcy theories. They're not acomplishing anything. It's been said over and over again: Half-Life 2 is NOT finished. If you don't want to believe Valve, nothing I can say will change your mind.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Oct 2, 2003, 04:53
Re: Late video games Oct 2, 2003, 04:53
Oct 2, 2003, 04:53

"Erik Johnson and John Cook have both been quoted saying Steam isn't responsible for the delay. Even Gabe has said that Half-Life 2 is just plainly not finished."

Back at E3, Half-Life was shown with in-game movies which made it out on the web. These movies were done from the game. The game was in the phase where they make the levels. The engine was complete.

Now, months later, we're being told that the game isn't finished?????????????????????????? What a bunch of bullshit. I mean, do you actually believe everything you read? Do you actually believe every image the media shows you? Are you really that brain-dead that you have lost all ability to think at all?

The game has been done. It is done. The game was ready to ship & something happened. Whether it is Steam, which makes the most sense, or Vivendi which also makes sense is irrelevant. Perhaps even the Nvidia compatibility issue.

You can't make a game like Half-Life 2, where they have shown us that they were now on the levels & polishing phase & then say the game isn't finished. That's utter bullshit. This game was ready! If you can't see that it was moving along perfectly way back at E3 then please turn off the computer & step away from technology because you can't make in-game movies like that without the engine being ready.

Personally, I believe it was Steam. It seems most likely to be this because Valve has been working hard on the Steam project & now that it is released a great deal of people are still having problems with it. Valve wants to sell Half-Life 2 over steam & keep a lot more of the money in their own pocket. Consider that it costs money to press CDs, provide a manual, a box with all that costly art. Consider further that the retailers want their sticky paws on some of that money just for holding it on the shelves. The publisher is going to make huge Half-Life 2 displays for the stores as well as posters and ADs in magazines. Now with a game that is going to be as good as Half-Life 2 is supposed to be, you don't need any of that if you can just download it for $40. You save $10. Valve gets $20 more. And everyone is somewhat happy. Especially Valve. Every game they sell on Steam is going to be like selling 3 the regular way. This is their great-big-huge-ultimate test to see if Steam will work. Then if it does they can sell the idea out to other developers & make more money. But if Steam is sucking ass, then the outcry will be far, far, far, far, far, far worse than this little delay. If people get charged $40 & can't play.....

So get it! Understand it! Realize it! STEAM is delaying your game because Valve doesn't think that $5 million in pure profit is enough. They want $40 million. It's all about the green. It's all about the greed.

I don't care...
Oct 2, 2003, 03:41
I don't care... Oct 2, 2003, 03:41
Oct 2, 2003, 03:41

when HL2 ships. Ship it when it's done. Building a program that works is a lot more work than most people who are here complaining about release dates can possibly imagine.

However:

1. Don't make promises you can't keep. Regardless of the industry you're in, this is bad customer service.

2. Don't include features people hate. Customers really get steamed about that kind of thing.

Oct 2, 2003, 03:30
Re: Late video games Oct 2, 2003, 03:30
Oct 2, 2003, 03:30

>>The thing that pisses me off is that it's only late because steam isn't ready for its release.

Erik Johnson and John Cook have both been quoted saying Steam isn't responsible for the delay. Even Gabe has said that Half-Life 2 is just plainly not finished.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 03:32.
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older