Chrome MP Demo Soon

A post on the Chrome Forums by the Chrome team states that a multiplayer demo for Techland's science fiction shooter is planned for release "in next week." The post is dated today, so this may mean this week, or it may mean next week. Thanks Noel Roberts.
View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Sep 29, 2003, 07:04
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2003, 07:04
Sep 29, 2003, 07:04

Dr Evil,

The actor that did the voice for the main character was the same guy that did the voice for Duke Nukem

Sep 29, 2003, 04:49
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2003, 04:49
Sep 29, 2003, 04:49

On rainy days, well, it's cheaper, easier, and less painful than chrome to just sit in a chair and cry

LMAO

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Sep 29, 2003, 02:38
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2003, 02:38
Sep 29, 2003, 02:38

On rainy days, well, it's cheaper, easier, and less painful than chrome to just sit in a chair and cry.

No subject
Sep 29, 2003, 00:38
No subject Sep 29, 2003, 00:38
Sep 29, 2003, 00:38

I thought the start of the demo was great...two mercs on a simple raid mission. I dunno why but the whole running through the forest portion of it just really grabbed me. I thought it was great how they split up, each doing their job in the raid.

Yeah I thought the inventory system was annoying. while I do get sick of pack mule syndrome that plague other games. trying to micromanage my inventory got frustrating quick, like when I tried to pick up the sniper rifle...it got really annoying to have to drop everything manually...couldn't the game just automatically rearrange my inventory for me and maybe drop the weapon I was using if they want to stick to the 1 primary 1 secondary weapon motif...(which isn't a bad thing..forces the player to choose and strategize).

Like I said earlier..loved the vehicles...loved being able to shoot the gunner of that one buggy.

once I entered the building though..the game started to suck. I always hate it when the AI always knows EXACTLY where you are even though realistically they wouldn't have a clue...like others have said...the physics of it all just didn't seem right for some reason...couldn't exactly put my finger on it..but something was just wrong. I never did get the hang of implants when they offered them to me...maybe I just didn't pay enough attention...but what good did increased strength do for my on that raid?

I didn't really care for that final battle against that one ship at the top of the building...it just didn't seem very realistic for a very mobile and agile fighter like that getting decimated by me in that turret. for the longest time I was getting my butt kicked at that part because I refused to go to that turret cuz it just didn't make sense to me to be stationary while I'm getting shot at by a nimble fighter.....the turret seemed, at first, like such a peashooter to me too...like if it were real, the bullets would just bounce off that fighter.

the escape scene was pretty cool though...just felt cool hopping into those speeders and getting the heck out of dodge and evading the baddies instead of engaging them.

after that the rest of the cutscene was total suckage, for reasons I already stated earlier...Logan's voice acting was bad too..but barely tolerable. and yeah...just the dialogue in general was lame. decent game...C movie story.

I'll probably nab the game once it hits the bargain bin. ..something for a rainy day.

Sep 29, 2003, 00:24
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2003, 00:24
Sep 29, 2003, 00:24

I enjoyed your lengthy post and agree with you. However the 340+ megs that this file was... Was simply more complex than necessary and in general blocky modelling combined with an absence of atmosphere that keeps the player involved in the game. Maybe its the lack of ambience and involvement that you almost feel like your watching rather than firing your weapons. Again with the inventory 'Why recreate the wheel?' Really ineffective inventory and very confusing. Overall, this game deserves a pass. NEXT!

Sep 28, 2003, 23:41
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 23:41
Sep 28, 2003, 23:41

Chrome (full version) feels like it wanted to be Halo, but with a needlessly complex inventory system. you can only, EVER, hold one large weapon in your inventory at any time. so WHY do they bother with you having to open your inventory, drop a gun, then pick up a gun and put it in to use it? that's only, yes, a couple seconds where you're standing DEAD STILL, usually over the body of someone you just killed. now, who wants to tell me how often you probably actually get around to GETTING the other gun instead of a bullet thru the noggin?

the vehicles, when they show up in multi, are too slow to be any fun. the buggies are pokey, and the mechs walk SLOWER THAN THE PEOPLE ON FOOT. you get in a machine with legs that are longer than your body, and yet it waddles along at a speedy 5MPH.

This game could have been good. unfortunately, they were perfectly content with making a game with no redeeming value whatsoever. are there really design teams out there that say "man, we're gonna spend 2 or 3 years of our lives working on this game. but let's make it boring and unoriginal so we have no chance in hell of getting a contract to make another game."? You can't tell me "it's all the publisher's fault", because the publisher doesn't know shit about games. a good interface is something they won't care either way about, but the developers should take some pride in. hell, with more useful vehicles and a lot less messy of an inventory system, the game woulda been pretty fun, bad voice acting or no.

Sep 28, 2003, 22:26
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 22:26
Sep 28, 2003, 22:26

Too bad the fact the controller was $300 turned off most people to it.

you DO know that the entire run of the game (controller included) sold out within 2 months right? And that it sells on eBay regularly for more than it originally cost?

PAH!
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Sep 28, 2003, 21:24
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 21:24
Sep 28, 2003, 21:24

the main character sounded like a wannabe duke nukem

Sep 28, 2003, 19:37
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 19:37
Sep 28, 2003, 19:37

Anyone else think the voice acting for the yellow jumpsuit chick was horrible...it was just this grating, stereotypical dumb blonde voice...just got on my nerves, cuz they were trying to pass her off as being smart and it wasn't working.

When I downloaded the closed beta on Fileplanet that chick set the tone for the rest of the game for me (unfortunately)

I beat this topic to death everytime this game is mentioned but it drives me nuts. Another company investing millions in their teams of artists, programmers, producers yet they seem to think they can write some hack storyline with the office secretary and janitor doing the voiceovers. And like I do everytime I point to a game like Halo that doesn't have an overly original plot but enough care was taken with it that it blends together with the visuals and gameplay to make a memorable whole.

Long after Chrome is published and into the bargain bins the first thing people will remember about it will be the idiotic dialogue from the demo and trailer. Too bad.

PAH!

- Jim Goad

Sep 28, 2003, 19:29
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 19:29
Sep 28, 2003, 19:29

Too bad the fact the controller was $300 turned off most people to it.

Sep 28, 2003, 19:07
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 19:07
Sep 28, 2003, 19:07

VoodooV - that "getting in the vehical" stuff sounds alot like a xbox game- Steel Battalion. You had to buy a huge expensive controler just for the one game with a crapload of controls. At the start of every mission, you climb into the cockpit of your mech and perform a startup sequence on your controller (turn on power, turn on oxygen etc). The interface was made to look like you are peering through a video display mounted in front of you in the cockpit complete with less than perfect picture quality (and when you get hit/walk around it shakes).

Oh and if you don't punch the eject button (covered like in a real cockpit) when you are about to die, it erases your saves O_O... So long as you eject, you can try again, provided you got the cash to buy another mech.

Sep 28, 2003, 18:52
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 18:52
Sep 28, 2003, 18:52

I like your ideas, VoodooV.

Sep 28, 2003, 18:50
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 18:50
Sep 28, 2003, 18:50

I don't know what 10 years into the future virtual reality cracksmoking technology you gimps are expecting to see.. I really enjoyed this game and thought the graphics and physics were awesome. Don't tell me you guys already forgot about the awesome terrain and vehicles? The glass and bullet effects? Not to mention the implants..

Sep 28, 2003, 18:42
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 18:42
Sep 28, 2003, 18:42

VoodooV,

If you haven't already try Operation Flashpoint. I just got the GotY edition and it's fucking awesome. It blows away every other FPS/vehicle combat game I've played.

Sep 28, 2003, 18:10
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 18:10
Sep 28, 2003, 18:10

yeah you can ride mechs in the game. I think there are 2 types. 1 small with just an autocannon and one with missiles to. But dont expect any MEchwarrior style battles. there are usually 1 or max 2 mechs on a map. the rest is just buggys. And they are a pain to control cause you can only shot in the direction you are walking.

The maps are nice and big though.....thats about the only good thing in multi.

Edit: yeah, the chick has the most anyoing voice i have ever heard
This comment was edited on Sep 28, 18:11.

No subject
Sep 28, 2003, 17:50
No subject Sep 28, 2003, 17:50
Sep 28, 2003, 17:50

Anyone else think the voice acting for the yellow jumpsuit chick was horrible...it was just this grating, stereotypical dumb blonde voice...just got on my nerves, cuz they were trying to pass her off as being smart and it wasn't working.

No subject
Sep 28, 2003, 17:41
No subject Sep 28, 2003, 17:41
Sep 28, 2003, 17:41

or in jedi knight 2 outcast..where you have to fuel lando's ship and prepare it while defending against groups of space pirate assholes/garbage men

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 17:43.
Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

No subject
Sep 28, 2003, 17:32
No subject Sep 28, 2003, 17:32
Sep 28, 2003, 17:32

The vehicles might save it, do we get to pilot mechs in the fullversion? now THAT might make this game pretty cool.

no shit...that would rock...a game where you actually walk up to your mech..climb up to it..strap in..start it up..suddenly you're playing a Mech sim.

you know in the movies where they might have some tense situation where you have to start your ship in time in order to escape something. Hell remember the level in Jedi Knight where you're in that falling cargo ship and you have to get to your ship before it plummets to the ground...now instead of just walking to your ship to complete the level...imagine having to open hangar doors, getting in...doing some sort of startup sequence so you can fly out of there manually.... I just think that would add even more tension.

Sep 28, 2003, 17:21
Re: No subject Sep 28, 2003, 17:21
Sep 28, 2003, 17:21

crappy java game. takes ages to load levels.

No subject
Sep 28, 2003, 17:16
No subject Sep 28, 2003, 17:16
Sep 28, 2003, 17:16

I really did kinda like the demo. yeah it doesn't compare to what we've seen of HL2...but shit...so what? all games can't be uber.

thats the only problem with the periods like this where we have a rare surge of really good games. is that the average games get overlooked. If this game had came out a year earlier, it would get a lot more props that it is now.

I think the level design is great and so is the use of vehicles. That is one thing I wish developers would exploit more...mixing FPS with flight/vehicle sims. I mean yeah the whole flight sim genre is definately on the down and out lately....so why not mix the two to a much deeper level than Red Faction or Chrome or C&C Renegade ever did. Instead of merely making the vehicle a new skin where its just point and click kill....lets dust off our joysticks and make the vehicle portion of the game more rich.

I think that would rock....instead of traditional flight sim games where the only real interface you see is when you're in the cockpit...make it so that its like an FPS...instead of just cutting to the cockpit interface, after a briefing or whatever, having the avatar actually walk to their ship...climb in...and actually have detailed startup sequences or what not. I dunno..maybe its too complex for the average gamer..but I think it would blow the immersion factor away if you had that....think of the missions where you can mix complex flight/space sim action with rich FPS action.

hell..if you wanted to...throw in some RPG elements too. Take the whole genre-blurring fad to a whole new level baby!

I dunno..thats my idea for a game anyway...give flight/space/vehicle sims new life....with a twist.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 17:16.
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older