Steaming Ahead

The Get Steam Now! Page offers the promised downloads of the latest version of the Steam broadband delivery client that include the most recent game cache content. The full monte has been mirrored on 3D Gamers, AusGamers, Boomtown, Gamer's Hell, and HalfLife2Files.
View : : :
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: The purpose of Steam?
Sep 18, 2003, 19:11
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 18, 2003, 19:11
Sep 18, 2003, 19:11

"Say what? ASPs other attempts to move the computing world towards thin clients have failed miserably every single time they have been tried, while distributed and peer-oriented technologies have racked up success after resounding success."

The discussion here has nothing to do with thin clients, it has to do with content delivery technology... and I know firsthand it does not fail miserably everyday.

"This is a technology that must NOT happen."

Of course it is. The constant chore of a software company to maintain and support multiple versions and offer installation solutions for those version can be quite a headache... along with the difficulty of getting updated versions of software to non-computer-literate users.

"Speaking as an engineer, I do not understand how anybody can seriously advocate inserting more components between the locus of control and the locus of response."

Uh... are you sure you're not an IT admin? Because 1 is more constant than the other.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 19:13.

Sep 18, 2003, 17:42
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 18, 2003, 17:42
Sep 18, 2003, 17:42

Steam doesn't improve user experience 'yet'. The idea of Steam is not new. Content delivery technology similar to this is all over the net with ASPs and java apps, etc. And this is a technology that must happen.

Say what? ASPs other attempts to move the computing world towards thin clients have failed miserably every single time they have been tried, while distributed and peer-oriented technologies have racked up success after resounding success.

Speaking as an engineer, I do not understand how anybody can seriously advocate inserting more components between the locus of control and the locus of response.

This is a technology that must NOT happen.

But in a few months when the issues are ironed out and everyone's playing HL games without hardly a thought of Steam (except for the inevitable urge for enhancements)...

Repeat after Douglas Adams:

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Sep 18, 2003, 17:32
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 18, 2003, 17:32
Sep 18, 2003, 17:32

"What bothers me about Steam is the only purpose that would seem to require a move to it is revenue generation, whether through ads,"

The ads are hardly even there.. (Only on download screens and the monitor screen that I've seen. And wouldn't you know it, both of which can be minimized.) Hell, even Blues News has ads, so what's your beef?

You mean to tell me it already has ads??? Ick.

I didn't pay for Blue'sNews, so I don't mind an ad or two. But I would be paying for Steam. (If it's bundled with something that costs money, it's not free.)

"spyware,"

Ugly rumour. There is no spyware in Steam.

I know. Not yet, anyway. But Steam auto-updates itself. They could insert it at any time they (or whatever company aquired them) felt the need of some additional revenue.

"or a blatant monthly fee."

Entirly optional and UP TO YOU if you want to go the monthly fee route. Depending on how much content Valve and their partners put out, it could wind up being a BETTER deal even. (TF2, HL2 and CZ would wind up to be around 140 bucks.. a ten dollar fee a month for a year would be 120 a month. Of course that requires Valve to release stuff on time, but you get the idea..)

That's assuming Valve doesn't decide to charge for the games and a monthly service fee for Steam. Steam puts the parts in place to enable them to do that.

And the thing with Steam isn't that it's a Patch distributor, authenticator, server browser, game store/distributor, or an instant messanger. It's that it's ALL OF THESE THINGS rolled into one. You only need ONE program to use all of these.

I don't want all of these things rolled into one. I want them separate, so that I can avoid having the things I don't want.

And again, the monthly fee is OPTIONAL.

At the moment.

Seriously people.. There's plenty of OTHER things to complain about with Steam.. you don't need to bother making up conspiracy theories to slam Steam.. the program doesn't need any help.

Is something a conspiracy if it's right out in the open?

Re: Easy update
Sep 18, 2003, 01:04
Re: Easy update Sep 18, 2003, 01:04
Sep 18, 2003, 01:04

It depends on the patch size as the old way...if it's a small patch say only a few megs in size then it won't take long.

It will only download the changed files not all of them again. But even though the sizes may be smaller I think we might still bottle neck when everyone wants to get the files all near the same time.

Easy update
Sep 18, 2003, 00:39
Easy update Sep 18, 2003, 00:39
Sep 18, 2003, 00:39

If the purpose of steam is a simple, painless means to update everyones content to current patched standards, they why must I totally download once again the content I already have? I mean, it's there, if the game can't convert it, why should I have to suffer through downloading a huge file to get all the content again?
Is this gonna happen every time there's a patch, you have to download several hundred MB of the same files you already have?

Sep 17, 2003, 23:16
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 23:16
Sep 17, 2003, 23:16

I think what a lot of people are pissed about right now (not including the LAN or SP stuff) is that the load times and crashes.

I know that when I double click on the Steam icon to launch it (I don't want it to start when I am booting up my computer) it will sometimes on average take me up to a full minute to get it running. After that I then click on the appropriate game I want to launch and play. This again can take up to a good minute or more to get in there.

Now I click on my update list and that takes a good minute or so depending on your filters and stuff. Finally I launch into the game I want to play. So that now took me about 3+ minutes (some people a lot longer) to get in and play.

With the old system that is a lot faster launching and playing. That is what people want, they want fast action and get in and play...not sit around twiddling there thumbs waiting and hoping that it is still working.

If they can increase the speed for people to get in and play (and note I have read some people waiting up to 10 minutes to get it started) that would make people happier.

Sep 17, 2003, 21:36
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 21:36
Sep 17, 2003, 21:36

They have already stated a dozen times that they will be changing the "need to be online in order to use single player or lans." As I said, I have yet to hear a single good reason for hating the concept of steam other than "it's new and different!!!"

The execution of course, left a whole lot to be desired.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Sep 17, 2003, 20:41
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 20:41
Sep 17, 2003, 20:41

Malachii, the movies are no longer there, they were to test the beta.

They do have 3 more movies, and are deciding whether or not to release them (the last three are HUGE files). If they do it will probably be through traditional DL sites, not Steam.

Also, Steam isn't that bad, they just underestimated the demand. I'm sure the quarks will be remedied for the most part by the end of this week, and by the time HL2 hits the capacity will be upped considerably.

Sep 17, 2003, 20:21
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 20:21
Sep 17, 2003, 20:21

"I've not heard one valid reason for hating the concept of Steam so bad." -- Undead Scottsman

"Hating" is too strong a word for me. But as far as bad concepts, maybe you don't see requiring single player, store bought games to require online access whenever they are played to be a deficient Steam concept. I do. It seems obtuse. I hope they will change that requirement.

Sep 17, 2003, 18:15
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 18:15
Sep 17, 2003, 18:15

"Its only reasons are anti-piracy and anti-cheat. ...It Only protects Valve's interest while being annoying as hell..."

umm those are my interests too, granted if you like to cheat and deprive the industry of revenue by stealing games i can see how you might be annoyed by steam. however, that is all the better because i don't want to bother with people like you on the servers anyway. as for seeing no other reason for the program, there is one very good one you are overlooking. with steam you do not have to download the whole game before playing, you can fire up the game as soon as you get the base install and the first map and the rest of the content is downloaded while you play. the server browserm, messenger and stuff are really just bonuses.
ohh and steam is doing pretty good for me, i got the cs install version and downloaded dod though steam and all went fine. only real issue i have is that friends network only wants to connect while i have a game connected but won't let me in from desktop. i am guessing that is just due to them getting accustomed to all the traffic on their system. all in all not bad for what they are trying to pull off.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 18:17.

Sep 17, 2003, 17:44
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 17:44
Sep 17, 2003, 17:44

I've not heard one valid reason for hating the concept of Steam so bad. (The actual execution I can understand, but we're not talking about the execution here)

"You sound like a used car salesman on tv."

I would have thought I had sounded like an infomercial, but to each his own.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Sep 17, 2003, 17:42
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 17:42
Sep 17, 2003, 17:42

Steam doesn't improve user experience 'yet'. The idea of Steam is not new. Content delivery technology similar to this is all over the net with ASPs and java apps, etc. And this is a technology that must happen. Of course saying that is not going to change anything here. But in a few months when the issues are ironed out and everyone's playing HL games without hardly a thought of Steam (except for the inevitable urge for enhancements)... well, there it will be.

Sep 17, 2003, 17:38
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 17:38
Sep 17, 2003, 17:38

This sounds like a load of crap. Let's face it, before steam came out we could get everything for free, have no hassle getting it all, and we werent overloading our systems.

I have not yet heard of ONE VALID REASON for steam that was already available months before that was free and hassle free.

" You only need ONE program to use all of these."

You sound like a used car salesman on tv.

Sep 17, 2003, 17:19
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 17:19
Sep 17, 2003, 17:19

Its only reasons are anti-piracy and anti-cheat.
Steam doesn't improve user experience at all...It Only protects Valve's interest while being annoying as hell for all of ValVe's customers. Sounds a bit like Microsoft's Acitvation scheme... wait, its worse than that.

Sep 17, 2003, 17:11
Re: The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 17:11
Sep 17, 2003, 17:11

"What bothers me about Steam is the only purpose that would seem to require a move to it is revenue generation, whether through ads,"

The ads are hardly even there.. (Only on download screens and the monitor screen that I've seen. And wouldn't you know it, both of which can be minimized.) Hell, even Blues News has ads, so what's your beef?

"spyware,"

Ugly rumour. There is no spyware in Steam.

"or a blatant monthly fee."

Entirly optional and UP TO YOU if you want to go the monthly fee route. Depending on how much content Valve and their partners put out, it could wind up being a BETTER deal even. (TF2, HL2 and CZ would wind up to be around 140 bucks.. a ten dollar fee a month for a year would be 120 a month. Of course that requires Valve to release stuff on time, but you get the idea..)

And the thing with Steam isn't that it's a Patch distributor, authenticator, server browser, game store/distributor, or an instant messanger. It's that it's ALL OF THESE THINGS rolled into one. You only need ONE program to use all of these.

And again, the monthly fee is OPTIONAL.

Seriously people.. There's plenty of OTHER things to complain about with Steam.. you don't need to bother making up conspiracy theories to slam Steam.. the program doesn't need any help.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Steamed
Sep 17, 2003, 16:54
Steamed Sep 17, 2003, 16:54
Sep 17, 2003, 16:54

What a complete waste-of-time trying to download the full installer was.
The web sites either don't have the full installer, claim they'll have it in 6 hours or wait until the final click to tell you that the files "to big" and you should order it on CD.
Stuff it! I'm steamed alright!

Looks like I'll never get to play HL
Sep 17, 2003, 16:49
Looks like I'll never get to play HL Sep 17, 2003, 16:49

I've been trying to download steam ever since it came out and can NEVER get a connection. I tried downloading through IE and DAP and just recently tried Bit Torrent but ever since then all I get with Bit Torrent is an error message Problem connecting to tracker.

Anyone else get this and is there a way to get it actually working? I've left the error message running in the background and still no downloads. Is bit torrent just a really popular error message or does it actually work?

No subject
No subject Sep 17, 2003, 16:49

now that i have steam, ASE doesn't seem to as well as it did before steam. ASE and steam keep crashing. hmmm....

The purpose of Steam?
Sep 17, 2003, 16:42
The purpose of Steam? Sep 17, 2003, 16:42
Sep 17, 2003, 16:42

What bothers me about Steam is the only purpose that would seem to require a move to it is revenue generation, whether through ads, spyware, or a blatant monthly fee.

What else would require a system like Steam?

Patch distribution? No, gamers have repeatedly demonstrated that they do not mind downlaoding patches themselves.

Authentication? No, WON works just fine.

Server browsing? Certainly not. There are many, many fine pieces of server browsing software out there.

Direct sale of games over the 'net? No. All you need for that is a web form to take credit card numbers, and plenty of bandwidth. The downloaded file need'nt be warez-able, either; just embed half of a key pair in it as the download starts, and keep the other half yourself. Instant authetication scheme, uniquely IDs each downloaded copy.

What's left?

It looks to me like somebody has had a good long look at the massive numbers of online CounterStrike players, multiplied them by $10 per month, and begun to drool.

Re: Single Player mode
Sep 17, 2003, 16:31
Re: Single Player mode Sep 17, 2003, 16:31
Sep 17, 2003, 16:31

I agree with Enforcer. It seems overly intrusive and inconvenient to require an on-line connection to play a game in it's off-line, single player mode. Once you get online for a patch update, (I assume all updates for HL2 must be done through Steam), then you are tied to the online requirement.

You're out of luck if your internet connection is down, the Steam authorization is down, or you're playing from laptop on road or air travel without a wireless connection.

The requirement for LAN games to require each PC on the LAN to have an internet connection is also not so good. Not only does it complicate the LAN configuration, but you have the same problem with the single player requirement if your ISP is down or the Steam servers are having problems.

For the update, especially for LAN systems, there should be a downloadable update so each and every PC doesn't have to access the internet. Even Micro$oft permits this with their "Corporate" update section. Perhaps that is solved now with Valve's release of the Steam Caches. Now, all we need are downloads for incremental updates.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older