Morning Q&As

View : : :

spector
Sep 12, 2003, 13:14
spector Sep 12, 2003, 13:14
Sep 12, 2003, 13:14

Relatively interesting interview yet again with Spector. I would like to say that I am not *that* impressed with the Matrix-lookalike-coincidence of Deus Ex. By the time of Deus Ex, the setting is old news and Spector is merely a copier. These are settings and ideas introduced by Bladerunner, William Gibson and the movie "Johnny Mnemonic".

What is good about Matrix is the full punch of the virtual reality idea at just the right time in the zeitgeist, and the pure quality of execution. Deus Ex in comparison, in that regard, as I said, just pick up old ideas.

That isn't so bad, it is just that a person with the ambitions of Warren Spector shouldn't be in particular proud of this. I have a wish for Spector: for your next game, why not try to use the medium to introduce a new stylistic/narrative idea? I think it has been done before: both Quake and Doom had a creative edge that excerted influence the other way in relation to other media. Doom had a "I don't give a damn" political incorrectness which was a great contribution, and Quake was good at expressing the "industrial" look at the time. I also liked the way Riven managed to create universe with a character that felt particular to that game. I liked the way Prey in its time evidently attempted to utilize *alternative geometry* to make a story unique to the 3d-medium.

I have said this before in this forum, so perhaps people are tired of hearing this.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 16:08.
Date
Subject
Author
Sep 12, 2003Sep 12 2003
spector
Sep 12, 2003Sep 12 2003
Sep 12, 2003Sep 12 2003