46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No subject
Sep 12, 2003, 09:04
Rob
Re: No subject Sep 12, 2003, 09:04
Sep 12, 2003, 09:04
Rob

Actually, the more you whiners drop your pre-orders, the less traffic there'll be on the Steam network, the faster I can patch and play.

This is really, really sad.

Why have gamers let it get to the point that Day Zero patches are expected?

Re: Protest
Sep 12, 2003, 09:02
Rob
Re: Protest Sep 12, 2003, 09:02
Sep 12, 2003, 09:02
Rob

ote: some Steam-enabled single-player games (such as Half-Life 2) purchased at a retail store will allow offline play until the user decides to play online or enable other Steam functionality. From that point on, an Internet connection will be required.

So let me get this straight then:

I buy SP HL2.
I can play, without connecting to the Internet
I download a SP mod for HL2
Everytime I play, I now connect to the internet?

What about once I patch?

Umm, no, I don't think so. I was planning to get a new computer just to play HL2 (I'm on a 500 MHz POS right now). Looks like I'm gonna be able to save a chunk of change for a while.

Re: no out of the blue ???
Sep 12, 2003, 00:49
Re: no out of the blue ??? Sep 12, 2003, 00:49
Sep 12, 2003, 00:49

ya blued just called and said he was to lazy to make up a ootb today.. but he still puts his ads in because he wants that new bmw without doing work.
Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

no out of the blue ???
Sep 11, 2003, 20:27
no out of the blue ??? Sep 11, 2003, 20:27
Sep 11, 2003, 20:27

Sep 11, 2003, 20:21
Re: Protest Sep 11, 2003, 20:21
Sep 11, 2003, 20:21

I'm don't really care so much about having to be online while playing Single Player. Since I have cable this is a non-issue really. What I'M concerned about personally is the aspect of LAN parties. Out of all the LAN Parties I've been to, maybe half of them had Internet Connections available, and maybe half of those had Internet Connections we could all share. Not everyone has LAN parties at a location where the Internet is readily available. Many are held in closed stores and stuff where they don't even have internet connections.

So in those cases, are we just not allowed to play the game over a LAN? Seems pretty crappy to me...

Re: Cancelling preorders
Sep 11, 2003, 17:42
Re: Cancelling preorders Sep 11, 2003, 17:42
Sep 11, 2003, 17:42

I think the key thing to keep in mind here, as nin and DG have pointed out, is that the offending quote is vague and poorly worded. It is way to early to jump to dire conclusions on this. I suggest to let rational thinking prevail and ask what makes the most sense. In this case, I believe it makes the most sense to require an internet connection if you are going to play HL2 online (freaking duh!) and if you are going to use any of Steam's subscription services (dubl-duh!), AND if you've been playing HL2 (retail [this whole retail, steam, single vs. multi version crap is going to get old fast]) singleplayer "offline" and then decide to try out mulitplayer that you can always go back and play good, old SP offline. If you look at it I believe this scenario fits into this quote (it's really not obvious, but I think it does).

My recommendation? Relax, have some tea, walk your dog, pleasure yourself (whatever that means), or knit some mittens and stop worring about the little things.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 17:55.
ZigZang

Sep 11, 2003, 17:30
Re: Cancelling preorders Sep 11, 2003, 17:30
Sep 11, 2003, 17:30

Here's the problem.
Unless it's a mmog, I only play games Single Player, Offline.

With Half Life 2, as soon as I get a Patch via Steam, from then on I can no longer play Single Player, Offline.
I MUST have an internet connection on startup to get the Authentication approval.

This means that when:
- Valve autho servers are Down (yeah that Never happens)
- my cable is down (yeah ditto)
I cannot even boot the damn game.

You know how frustrating it is when you try to log in to your favorite mmog and are greeted with "Servers are Temporarily Unavailable"?
Now we can look forward to that same treat with Half Life Single Player too.

Sep 11, 2003, 17:06
DG
Re: Cancelling preorders Sep 11, 2003, 17:06
Sep 11, 2003, 17:06
DG

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915714,91503900
[...]
Note: some Steam-enabled single-player games (such as Half-Life 2) purchased at a retail store will allow offline play until the user decides to play online or enable other Steam functionality. From that point on, an Internet connection will be required.

Steampowered site isnt working for me atm, but if the note there is a direct quote thats either written badly or simply retarded.

Everyone who buy's HL2 will no doubt be looking forward to SP, but I bet the people who play it the most will be those with nothing more than 56k internet connection. Some wont have any, and they seem ok, but some have dialup modems and will connect to Steam to get updates (isnt half the point of Steam to simplify this sort of thing?). Suddenly Joe Modem has to dialup everytime just to play SP? WTF?

Getting the teenage sister (or worse, mum+dad who pay the bills and frown on gaming) off the line in order to play is bad enough, but what about those people who moved their computer away from the phone socket, or broke their modem/quit their ISP account or whatever? The internet is not something used regularily or easily accessable by everyone. What about people on metered lines? OK you probably can minimise and cut the connection, but how many of these people do you think will work that out before they rack up a phone bill? probably > 3/4 of people who buy HL2 will have never even wondered what pressing & holding alt and then tab might do.

They appear to have either no knowledge or no appreciation whatsoever that there is a very large grey area of people between those "no internet" and "fixed line broadband" users.

Lastly while the big brother thing is way overly hyped and moaned about, I really dont see anything to make repeated authing for singleplayer justifiable. For multiplayer OK it's doable because its fairly little inconvenience since everyone has to be connecting to the internet anyway, no big deal - in many ways this is even highly beneficial because you can have a system like WonID or punkbuster GUID for server admin's to be able to excersise effective control. But for SP??? Its just retarded, like MS deciding to change activation, making it required for every bootup.

Only reason for it I can think of is as an anti-piracy measure, but err surely the pirate would just aviod Steam anyway? A pirate would even be a LOT more likely to know to aviod it than Joe Modem, and organised crime would probably just hack it to stop any possibility of contacting Steam anyway.

Yay, another measure to cause significant problems for paying users, with no effect whatsoever for pirates - in fact it encourages use of hacks. How many of you know people with virtual CD drives of games that require the CD to be in the tray? Most people I know that have bought games do this, because they cant be bothered changing CD's all the time. No, "most" is not an exaggeration.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 17:09.

Sep 11, 2003, 16:48
nin

Re: Cancelling preorders Sep 11, 2003, 16:48
Sep 11, 2003, 16:48
 nin

I don't want to be even more inflamitory, but does anyone here REALLY believe that you won't be able to play HL2 singleplayer without an internet connection?

We honestly don't know, and that's why people are upset. I agree with you that Valve could really be hurting sales if they required an internet connection for all game types. But if it's so cut and dried (no internet for SP, Multi on Steam), why hasn't Valve clarified it? I understand they're in a rush to finish it, but SOMEONE there has to be doing PR.

All it takes is an official release from Valve, clearly outlining what will be required for each mode of play, and this would all be over. But they're not saying, which leaves people to wonder what exactlys going on...

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.davidbowie.com

Sep 11, 2003, 16:26
Re: Cancelling preorders Sep 11, 2003, 16:26
Sep 11, 2003, 16:26

I don't want to be even more inflamitory, but does anyone here REALLY believe that you won't be able to play HL2 singleplayer without an internet connection?

There is zero, nil, nada, none chance that this will happen. Look at how Valve is packaging HL2: single only, multi and single and the collectors edition. If you are sooo freaked out by Steam, buy the single-only version at retail. Do you think Valve wants to limit its market for this game by only selling to internet-connected players? Of course not. AND, if you do want to play online, valve will check that you have a valid key and that that key is only being used once, just like it happens with the WonID system now. People don't complain about Planetside, Everquest, Anarchy Online (or other MMO games) where you log-in, get automated patches, cheat-protection and (with Steam) access to other games all within a single integrated environment. I don't see how Steam is any different when playing HL2 online. If you don't like it, that's ok, but you cannot ignore that this is the way more and more companies are going to be managing their properties. And in the end, these games are going to reach more and more people, be more accessible and become more and more popular.
ZigZang

Valve Betray Customers For Money!
Sep 11, 2003, 16:16
Valve Betray Customers For Money! Sep 11, 2003, 16:16
Sep 11, 2003, 16:16

Thanks for dragging me out of retirement Draz.

I am and always have been an advocate of good design that meets the needs of the customer above and beyond short term gain. While you might never agree with me, history has taught it's a bad idea to bet against me. For the good of the gamer and developer, I don't support the mandatory requirement for STEAM in single player and LAN party games. The idea is only sound when taken from a limited perspective that excludes real world practicalities of the customer. This renders the implementation as merely an inconvenient experiment and your claims to put the customer first as no more than just another cog in a slick spin doctoring machine. After robbing customers of their connection and performance details this last plan to exploit customers by drawing them into some grand rights management experiment is a theft too far. It's this sort of disrespect and lack of attention to detail that is corroding western society, culture, business, and politics, and virtually guarantees we're going nowhere. Welcome to the New World Order.

This post is dedicated to Anna Lindh who died today.
"Save the attitude for someone who cares." - Judge Dredd.

Cancelling preorders
Sep 11, 2003, 15:58
Cancelling preorders Sep 11, 2003, 15:58
Sep 11, 2003, 15:58

Yeah, everybody here who claims they won't buy HL2 because of Steam is FOS. But cancelling preorders is something else. If enough people cancelled (even though they intend to buy it later), that would get Valve's attention. I say go for it.

If you ever connect to Steam I guess that would mean you definitely have an internet connection. So this wouldn't hurt people like me that don't have an internet connection on their gaming machines, cause I could never connect to Steam in the first place. But peoples' comments about single phone, dial-up connection families are very good. I never thought about that. Want to play HL2 SP for 20 or so minutes before dinner? Everybody get off the phone! Yeah, right. That's gonna happen. I agree us gamers can be pretty alarmist a lot of the time but this is looking shittier by the minute no matter how you look at it.

Sep 11, 2003, 15:56
Re: No subject Sep 11, 2003, 15:56
Sep 11, 2003, 15:56

Like anyone gives a caribou's ass (now that we've established the fact that they'll be saved) that you say you're dropping your pre-order.

Actually, the more you whiners drop your pre-orders, the less traffic there'll be on the Steam network, the faster I can patch and play.

Hmmmmmmmm, you're right, Steam will steal your identity, fondle your girlfriend and piss on your boss's tires. It's pure evil.

Sep 11, 2003, 15:31
Re: No subject Sep 11, 2003, 15:31
Sep 11, 2003, 15:31

Fondling the $50 I'm spending on HL2,

You are going to need an extra $2.99 or else you ain't getting shiat.

Sep 11, 2003, 14:57
Beamer

Re: No subject Sep 11, 2003, 14:57
Sep 11, 2003, 14:57
 Beamer

I meant forced registration if you use a Steam service: ie a patch or mod. I can understand them forcing us to register to use our services.

Considering much of the internet is still dialups on one-line households I can't see this as being 100% true. Valve won't make parents get off the phone so their kids can play a single-player game. It won't happen.

Sep 11, 2003, 14:35
Re: No subject Sep 11, 2003, 14:35
Sep 11, 2003, 14:35

Not me. I found the first HL to be a pretty shitty FPS, and the HL2 doesn't impress me.

And your definition of a "good" FPS is exactly what?
ZigZang

Sep 11, 2003, 14:30
Enahs

Re: Protest Sep 11, 2003, 14:30
Sep 11, 2003, 14:30
 Enahs

Badger Badger Badger...
God damn it, thanks blue! I still can not get that damn thing out of my head!

"Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and paste. Now I’ve read the arguments on both side, and I haven’t found any evidence yet to support the need to brush your teeth. Ever."
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Sep 11, 2003, 13:58
Re: Protest Sep 11, 2003, 13:58
Sep 11, 2003, 13:58

Note: some Steam-enabled single-player games (such as Half-Life 2) purchased at a retail store will allow offline play until the user decides to play online or enable other Steam functionality. From that point on, an Internet connection will be required.

Of course two days after the release of HL2 a selfmade NoInternetConnection Patch will appear which enables you to play SP and LAN MP without being connected

Sep 11, 2003, 13:56
nin

Re: No subject Sep 11, 2003, 13:56
Sep 11, 2003, 13:56
 nin

Would you like some cheese with your whine? You know as well as I do that neither of you will cancel your pre-orders. Valve could include anthrax in the jewel-case and you would still buy it.

Try me. Would you like a copy of the email EB sends me when I cancel it? I'll be happy to send you one. Hell, I'll post it here if you want.

I'm dead serious. I'm not going through bullshit just to play this game. There's plenty of other great games coming out to occupy my time.

If this can't be clarified before it goes gold, I WILL cancel, I promise you.

edit: d, m

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.davidbowie.com
This comment was edited on Sep 11, 14:15.

Sep 11, 2003, 13:53
Re: No subject Sep 11, 2003, 13:53
Sep 11, 2003, 13:53

Don't be so paranoid. They're only trying to curb theft. You won't end up on a government list to have your property ceased and your children turned into robots. The caribou will be ok too.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHICKENS

Yeah, I find likening Valve to Big Brother kind of absurd. I wonder if whoever drew that comparison has even read 1984, as it seems absolutely ridiculous to compare the two.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older