Sep 11, 2003, 13:45
The PC games industry is in a crisis Sep 11, 2003, 13:45
Sep 11, 2003, 13:45

Good point....

Re: The PC games industry is in a crisis
Sep 11, 2003, 10:42
Re: The PC games industry is in a crisis Sep 11, 2003, 10:42
Sep 11, 2003, 10:42

And just a note concerning the similarity between Neo and Denton - that is wrong of Spector I think

Disagree. Both are Christ figures with similar appearances and goals. While Neo has more personality they are both essentially the same character.

The PC games industry is in a crisis
Sep 11, 2003, 09:40
The PC games industry is in a crisis Sep 11, 2003, 09:40
Sep 11, 2003, 09:40

May suggest that Bluesnews put all ION-storm interviews in a dedicated box on the top? It is about the only thing here that ever says something interesting about the industry.

First, I think that Spector is right that the PC-games industry, at least with regard to FPS (that is the only thing I play), has been in a crisis the last 2-3 years, and that is a fact that should receive much more attention. I don't think that there has been a single game worth playing in this time, in the sense that they haven't been contributing something new. One thing is that even the good games, like those from Monolith is stuck in blind alley. The genre *clearly* needs to head in the direction of pure interactive storytelling and utilize these possibilities, and in addition it needs to come up with something new to the very FPS-formula. I guess we are waiting for Half-Life 2 to save us. Doom will probably not do any good.

And just a note concerning the similarity between Neo and Denton - that is wrong of Spector I think, and may betray a weakness in Deus Ex (I and II) - they don't really any understanding of psychology of charachters. In Deus Ex they are just cardbord figures. Neo is a person in addition being a hero and Denton has nothing of that (partly intentionally). Half-Life is good at that because their charachters are the result of a certain witty and fresh look at personalities.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Deus Ex II. Thanks for being a glimmer of hope.

Update: Actually the Valve interview was pretty interesting too. OK - maybe a box for both Valve and ION storm then... :-P
This comment was edited on Sep 11, 09:58.
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older