Out of the Blue

Well, I'm back at the BlueTower for a short stay, as after getting in late after my grandmother Mimi's funeral I'll be heading out at dawn to attend the burial (I haven't heard why the two events were not on the same day, but it's fairly unusual from my experience, so I assume there's probably a good reason for this). Anyway, the services was simple but sincere, and I take some comfort in my belief that it proceeded much the way she would have wanted it to.

I don't expect to get in as late today as I did last night, and any patience you can muster for the delayed updates is sincerely appreciated.

Media of the Day: Badgers. Thanks Darkhorse.
Images of the Day: FoxTrot. Thanks Payback.
Great Big Kiss. Thanks Ant.
Auctions of the Day: Wolverine Replica Sideburns. Thanks Keith Holjencin.
New Folder for Windows XP. Thanks Allan W and pailhead.
Science!: New technology from 'black world'.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: No subject
Sep 9, 2003, 15:26
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2003, 15:26
Sep 9, 2003, 15:26

I know you won't read this but i have to ask anyway, if she is your ex-girlfriend why even bother?

Sep 9, 2003, 15:16
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2003, 15:16
Sep 9, 2003, 15:16

If Underworld is as "good" as Blade or The Crow it will be worth seeing. Heck, I'll even take as good as the Resident Evil movie. It can be stylish and nonsensical, just so long as it's not Anne Rice.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico? I'm there too :).

so sorry
Sep 9, 2003, 15:15
so sorry Sep 9, 2003, 15:15
Sep 9, 2003, 15:15

Bronco,

i'm sorry to hear about your recent loss... to the Bucs.

that one must have hurt. sorry it went so bad.

- tron -

---
"tron is big and tron is full of action"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

Sep 9, 2003, 15:14
Enahs

Re: No subject Sep 9, 2003, 15:14
Sep 9, 2003, 15:14
 Enahs

I have not invented an ANTI-gravity device.
But I have invented a STOP-gravity device.

It is called a table.
Yes gravity still affects the object on the table, but it keeps gravity from moving the device any further, closer to the center of gravity! I am a JEANYUS!

"Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and paste. Now I’ve read the arguments on both side, and I haven’t found any evidence yet to support the need to brush your teeth. Ever."
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Sep 9, 2003, 15:11
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2003, 15:11
Sep 9, 2003, 15:11

A follow-up to my anti-gravity post...

One question that might occur to you is "If the object is really flying why do we care if it's using real anti-gravity or not?"

Because a primary application of anti-gravity technology would be space travel / propulsion in a vaccuum. Any system that isn't REAL anti-gravity isn't going to work in space. There's no air in space to provide an ion wind, and there's no ground to push off of with magnets. So it does matter what phenomenon is really causing the object to fly.

Sep 9, 2003, 15:05
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2003, 15:05
Sep 9, 2003, 15:05

Laugh if you will, but I have seen testings of US anti-grav aircraft. It wasnt glamorous, but it was real.

I have no doubt that they can get stuff to fly using non-standard propulsion systems, but I DO doubt that it's anti-gravity - even if they THINK it's anti-gravity. In every recent case (and there have been more than one) where some scientist has claimed to discover anti-gravity the effect has been shown to be caused by some other phenomenon, such as magnetism or ion wind. NASA was investigating at least one such claim recently, without any luck.

Re: Underworld
Sep 9, 2003, 15:02
Re: Underworld Sep 9, 2003, 15:02
Sep 9, 2003, 15:02

cant they make anything new with original ideas instead of this rehashed crap?

Not as easy as it sounds. We are getting to the point where you cannot make anything without it resembling something before it. In fact, I cannot think of anything truly original in a long time. Name any movie, book, TV show, game, or song, and I bet someone can link it to something else, some how, some way.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

Sep 9, 2003, 14:54
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2003, 14:54
Sep 9, 2003, 14:54

Well, no movie is perfect. You can't have everything in the movie be cool AND useful I guess. I'll be waiting for reviews anyway. Aside from a few dumb looking scenes the movie still looks decent to me. I could say the same thing for Desperado 2. I loved the first one. This second one has a lot of big budget "flair" if you ask me. It still looks good.

"The only downside to being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious."

No subject
Sep 9, 2003, 14:43
No subject Sep 9, 2003, 14:43
Sep 9, 2003, 14:43

Underworld looks cheezy as fuck, V:tM is great if you don't take it seriously. But seriously...

I bet some LARP guy wrote the script and sold it to Sony, since WW dosen't have a movie department. Wouldn't suprise me one bit. The only reason I will end up seeing the stupid ass movie anyhow, is because my ex-girlfriend will keep bothering me untill I take her. Hopefully if I ignore her long enough I will be spared... I mean she shoots a hole through the floor and falls through, thats perhaps the cheeziest effect i've ever seen. Not to mention a stupid and useless tactic.

Whatever, I'll get ripped apart for this but guess what, I never read through OOTB so you're wasting breath if you do flame me.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Sep 9, 2003, 14:35
Enahs

Re: Underworld Sep 9, 2003, 14:35
Sep 9, 2003, 14:35
 Enahs

You come up with new original ideas!

"Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and paste. Now I’ve read the arguments on both side, and I haven’t found any evidence yet to support the need to brush your teeth. Ever."
- W. C. Fields

Sep 9, 2003, 14:08
Re: Underworld Sep 9, 2003, 14:08
Sep 9, 2003, 14:08

Sep 9, 2003, 13:27
Re: Underworld Sep 9, 2003, 13:27
Sep 9, 2003, 13:27

Just read most of the points of contention white wolf raises as infringement on their property (SPOILER ALERT!).

Have to say Sony's shit does stink somewhat, but mostly on one or two points. The whole cross breeding of vampire/werewolves into 'abominations' looks like a complete lift from white wolf, and the book 'the love of monsters,' has several parralles in the film.

I'm not savvy with the lines you can draw around something copywrited but alot of those points white wolf raises are just nonsense. The Blade films equally use many of the concepts listed as 'their property,' As do Anne Rice books/films. They cannot copywrite a fantasy world where a heirachial vampire society exists outside the knowledge of humanity, where class struggles between such vampires within such world exists and where the vampires are extremely fast and strong. Scratch half their complaints.
The meat of the complaint seems to rest on use of similar vampire jargon and a very similar plot to the book. Looks like Sony borrowed a great deal from white wolf, but mostly stuff that was already 'out there', if you read an anne rice book or a blade film anyhow so their complaint appears a bit weak.

Are there any precidents of films being stopped so close to release I wonder?

HAH HAH
Sep 9, 2003, 13:21
Enahs

HAH HAH Sep 9, 2003, 13:21
Sep 9, 2003, 13:21
 Enahs

Someone in the PR office if gonna be putting in some overtime!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96797,00.html
This comment was edited on Sep 9, 13:21.
- W. C. Fields

Underworld
Sep 9, 2003, 12:29
Underworld Sep 9, 2003, 12:29
Sep 9, 2003, 12:29

Ihya,

The thing is, if Sony refuses to settle out of court, it would be really easy to see a judge grant a preliminary injunction on the movie being released. This isn't unheard of, and White Wolf IS seeking exactly such an injunction. I should have specified better what I meant when I said that I don't think a judge could fail to award this case to White Wolf. (I meant the injunction)
Whether or not they'd REALLY be awarded copyright infringement etc is probably a matter for a jury to determine in the actual court case.
The thing is, if Sony had just grabbed a thesaurus and changed a few words, there would have been no case, but it's practically a word for word ripoff. I see a lot of people on the net going "Fuck you White Wolf" / whiny bastards / I hope you croak etc, but it's a very simple fact that they HAVE to respond to something like this. And this is not a lawsuit on Vampires and Werewolves, but it is in the specific things that happen in the World of Darkness, relations, terms etc. Nowhere is White Wolf saying "well, we invented Vampires."

The fact that it's a 50+million dollar movie doesn't mean anything. If it's copyright infringement it's copyright infringement, and I think that injunction is a sure bet waiting to happen...

Bronco,
Yeah I know the edit button is actually working again, but there are times when I click on it, and all I get is a blue screen with the Bluesnews details on it, exactly like at the bottom of the post comment page. It's like the website forgets to actually give me the box to edit stuff in. It happens pretty randomly, but this was one of those cases, hence my annoyance at it.

Re: #(*%&#%(#& Edit Button
Sep 9, 2003, 12:20
Bronco

Re: #(*%&#%(#& Edit Button Sep 9, 2003, 12:20
Sep 9, 2003, 12:20
 Bronco

Creston,

Are you having trouble editing posts?

Maybe you missed it, the edit button works again.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
And don't blame society, for all the evidence here, you are a sociopath.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 12:21.
-TPFKAS2S

Re: %&(%&#%$(#&$ DAMN IT!!!
Sep 9, 2003, 12:18
Re: %&(%&#%$(#&$ DAMN IT!!! Sep 9, 2003, 12:18
Sep 9, 2003, 12:18

So I see the film is out in ten days time Creston. I'm sure you cannot make a company just can a tens of million dollar film, not now that advertising and merchandise is at full speed. Not in ten days time.

The first Terminator film was sued over stealing someone elses ideas. Yes, Cameron lifted the basics of the film from an unheard of sci-fi short story and the rest is, as we well know history. Yet that hasn't stopped sequals a-go-go when the very premise of the film is indisputably someone elses intelectual property. True that is but one example. But I think most likely white wolf will settle for a huge wad of cash from sony out of court and if it makes enough money at the box office sony'll think 'what the hell, one more time!' and do a sequal.

And any film that has vampires fighting werewolves has to be seen.

Re: Badgersbadgersbadgers
Sep 9, 2003, 11:59
Re: Badgersbadgersbadgers Sep 9, 2003, 11:59
Sep 9, 2003, 11:59

Just twice for me. I realized because someone said it sapped a half hour of his time

"The only downside to being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious."

Sep 9, 2003, 11:57
nin

Re: Badgersbadgersbadgers Sep 9, 2003, 11:57
Sep 9, 2003, 11:57
 nin

Ok, quick poll time - post here how many times you looped through the badgerbadgerbadgerbadger clip before realizing it was going to loop forever?

I actually turned off looping in shockwave, thinking it would (eventually) end...finally, after about 10 minutes, I gave up.

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.davidbowie.com
This comment was edited on Sep 9, 11:58.

Sep 9, 2003, 11:54
Re: Badgersbadgersbadgers Sep 9, 2003, 11:54
Sep 9, 2003, 11:54

Ok, quick poll time - post here how many times you looped through the badgerbadgerbadgerbadger clip before realizing it was going to loop forever?

Me? I think it was like four. Or five. Or six. Or...

Re: %&(%&#%$(#&$ DAMN IT!!!
Sep 9, 2003, 11:48
Re: %&(%&#%$(#&$ DAMN IT!!! Sep 9, 2003, 11:48
Sep 9, 2003, 11:48

Now that I think about it. I would have had no idea this movie related ANY similarity at all to White Wolf stuff. I just did a search for the lawsuit on google and came up with this link. There are some interesting reply posts. One guy says he has the court documnets. Sounds like a worthless case.

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=10015

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older