Steam Beta Update

Valve sends along an update on the status of the Steam beta, and what the future holds:
Steam Beta Ends, Full Version Ships Next Week

The Steam Beta has delivered several Valve games and popular Half-Life MODs to over 300,000 gamers, and will come to a close Tuesday evening (Pacific Daylight Time). The first full version of Steam, Valve's broadband platform for the delivery and management of digital content, will launch at 11 am PDT on Wednesday. Set up installers for the full version, which will be free of charge to existing Half-Life and Counter-Strike players, will be available from www.steampowered.com and leading game sites. Anyone interested in hosting the installer or becoming a Steam Service Provider, please email biz@steampowered.com.

Valve would like to extend its thanks to everyone who participated in this beta.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: RIAA...
Sep 6, 2003, 15:41
Re: RIAA... Sep 6, 2003, 15:41
Sep 6, 2003, 15:41

Argh! forgot to past the link in my post..
and they do have some, as you can see here:
http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=status

BicycleRepairMan

Re: RIAA...
Sep 6, 2003, 15:37
Re: RIAA... Sep 6, 2003, 15:37
Sep 6, 2003, 15:37

anyone think they have enough pipe for when HL2 comes out and everything goes through them

This is a very important question, and to be honest, I rather doubt it. Half Life 2 will probably be one of the biggest game sales of all time, and what's Valve going to do if 10.000 people decide to download it via Steam all at the same time? (Ie, 1.4 nanoseconds after it becomes available)
Send it to them at 0.2k/s?

For the HL2 movies that have been released, Steam has used preloading, and I bet they are going to do the same thing with HL2, most people who buy HL2 the second its released through steam, will probably "pre-order" it, so when HL2 is released, its already on their harddrive as a cache file, it only needs to be activated on release day. so while it may take som hours to DL you will barely notice it. Still I agree the will need ALOT of bandwith for the content servers, and they do have some, as you can see here:

Steam is free.
I guess I wasn't clear.
How much will it cost to acquire/use steam IF you do not have a half-life/cs/dod cd-key

Well Steam is a small free program, but it wont be much fun on its own, except you can use it to DL halflife 2 movies.

So to play HL etc via steam you have to pay the excact amount the guy at the retailer says he needs to give you a copy of either HL, CS, DOD or any other valve game with a valid CD-key. in my country , the cheapest Ive seen is around 10$ or so for a best-buy HL copy.. I doubt it, but valve might sell you a "cd-key" via steam. If the price is to high simply buy a best-buy HL.

To sum it up, Steam is and always will be free, the games played via steam will probably always cost money to buy or subscribe to. I dont think its possible to buy a "HL1" subscription, all those games will more likely be a bonus to subscribers of future valve games (HL2, TF2, CS2,"DoD2" etc)at 9,95$ month.

BicycleRepairMan

No subject
Sep 6, 2003, 14:00
No subject Sep 6, 2003, 14:00
Sep 6, 2003, 14:00

Brak, if you even bothered to read the headline at PHL, it said that that picture you posted was the HL2 preview boxes on display at E3, which probably won't be the packaging for the final version.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Re: Too stupid to use steam
Sep 6, 2003, 12:46
Re: Too stupid to use steam Sep 6, 2003, 12:46
Sep 6, 2003, 12:46

I registered another email address and tried it again. Seems to be working this time. I would kind of like my old email address registered to my Steam account, hopefully there will be a dependable customer service path.

Re: Thanks
Sep 6, 2003, 11:21
Re: Thanks Sep 6, 2003, 11:21
Sep 6, 2003, 11:21

"cuz mom doesn't even know wtf "multiplayer" means so she got the cheap one"

Exactly, and after taking a second mortgage on the house to buy presents, she's got to whip out the Visa again on Christmas morn so the whole holidays don't get spoiled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Gabe Newell and like the way that Valve has handled this sequel so far, but this release as you guys have described it, bothers me. And I'm leary of this whole Steam thing. Really leary. Say that five times fast.

Maybe they learned something from the original Halflife. With stand-alone expansion packs and then mods being released and then them being packaged together in various combinations I'm sure more than a few people ended up getting the same game two or even three times.

Too stupid to use steam
Sep 6, 2003, 04:44
Too stupid to use steam Sep 6, 2003, 04:44
Sep 6, 2003, 04:44

Everytime steam is mentioned here there are about 4 people who come on and say how rubbish steam was and they're suprised anyone got it working.

Steam has always worked for me. Yeah it was a bit slow in the early betas, Yeah it used to crash in the early betas, but since the start of this year its been near perfect.

You only have to start it and go into server browser to see the number of 10 year old boys that managed to get it to work (WITHOUT DOCUMENTATION).

Also - you can use ASE with steam right now. You will not be able to seperate hl2 from steam since when they update it yours wont be able to update. This would also probably send VAC mad.

Re: So for the five people
Sep 6, 2003, 04:41
Re: So for the five people Sep 6, 2003, 04:41
Sep 6, 2003, 04:41

they already said a couple of options that will be available over steam

hl2+multiplayer which will be cheaper than in store

OR (important OR since you dont need to subscribe to play online!!!!)

valve subscription: if you subscrive you pay a fee of say $10 a month and for that you are able to download and play all the games that valve released

Sep 6, 2003, 03:32
Re: Thanks Sep 6, 2003, 03:32
Sep 6, 2003, 03:32

it is kind of humorous to imagine all the pissed off kiddies on christmas morning cuz mom doesn't even know wtf "multiplayer" means so she got the cheap one.

merry christmas, jimmy... you ungrateful little scmuck.

Sep 5, 2003, 23:42
Re: Thanks Sep 5, 2003, 23:42
Sep 5, 2003, 23:42

I'll just have to make sure to tripplecheck that I'm buying the full MP version from the store, as long as they release external binary patches, or there is an internal update that is not Steam.

Thanks
Sep 5, 2003, 23:18
Thanks Sep 5, 2003, 23:18
Sep 5, 2003, 23:18

"Nice entrance Brak..."

Thanks, I'm just astounished at how retarded some got with the annoucement that there's going to be *GASP!* 3 packages of Half-Life. If anyone takes the time to research what's going on they would find it's no big deal. The SP can be upgraded to the MP, and the rest is normal release stuff (normal + Collector's edition).

Re
Sep 5, 2003, 23:13
Re Sep 5, 2003, 23:13
Sep 5, 2003, 23:13

"I'm glad to see that someone has a dozen brain cells, unlike some other poster in this thread...
Yes, if you know about it, the three package thing is all very simple, but how many people exactly keep up to date with daily news regarding games? And how many people will buy Half Life 2?
So for those 8 million people that will buy Half Life 2 and have no frigging clue about the fact that there are three different versions, and they see that Wal-Mart has a cheaper copy, then come home and find they can't play multiplayer with it, I can imagine that there will be quite a few rather annoyed customers. "

But imagine just for a minute that those people can actualy read! Wow! They might actualy be able to figure out what package they're buying. If only....

I am, of course, assuming that Valve is going to label the packages, but I don't think that's too much of a stretch.

And as it's been mentioned by one of the Valve employees they can upgrade to the MP version for the difference in price through steam. So there's nothing to be scared of, everything will be ok.

Steam
Sep 5, 2003, 23:08
Steam Sep 5, 2003, 23:08
Sep 5, 2003, 23:08

Steam may take a beating with frequent patches and other things but... Half Life 2 isn't going to be free. There's a marked difference between downloading a freebie, and entering C-Card details and paying $50.00.

Re: Packaging
Sep 5, 2003, 22:48
Re: Packaging Sep 5, 2003, 22:48
Sep 5, 2003, 22:48

I understand what you're saying but some people do not want to get involved with the Steam thing to begin with. Are you saying that Steam will NOT be an option? I am not sure myself? Gabe's assurances, as you have stated them, sound like Steam is inevitable and this tiered release strategy is almost guaranteed involvement in the program. What other reason is their to release the game in such confusing matter at a retail level? Is there any game you can think of that you have played in the past that made you wish you could have chopped it up 3 or 4 different ways to give you, the consumer, a decent choice? Do you really think this is unorthodox approach is for the consumers benefit?

Sep 5, 2003, 22:33
Re: Packaging Sep 5, 2003, 22:33
Sep 5, 2003, 22:33

geez you guys are getting all worked up over nothing. Gabe himself has said that if a "non-gaming brother,sister etc" buys you the SP version, you can upgrade to the full multiplayer version after installtion with steam for a price that's roughly the same as you buying MP in the first place. They said they're not trying to penalize people who have it as a gift like this, or decide later to go with MP also. all the times that the negative hype machine goes into high gear, it ends up being disproved the next day by Gabe...

Sep 5, 2003, 22:26
Re: Packaging Sep 5, 2003, 22:26
Sep 5, 2003, 22:26

"The SP should have enough of a price difference and package labeling to make you realise your buying something stripped down."

Yes, this will be of great cosolation to every gamer who has the wrong version purchased by a non-gaming brother, sister, husband or wife for say maybe... uhm... a Christmas gift! But since their not Halflife geeks I guess they don't have more than 6 brain cells either.

Nice entrance Brak...

Re: ...
Sep 5, 2003, 21:52
Re: ... Sep 5, 2003, 21:52
Sep 5, 2003, 21:52

you people are not very wise.

there will be no issues [for anyone who can read the box], about buying half-life 2.

end of story.

Re: ...
Sep 5, 2003, 21:49
Re: ... Sep 5, 2003, 21:49
Sep 5, 2003, 21:49

i speak for myself but i think he means its retarded to have that many 'packages'. I know I paid $49.99 for my HL1 at Wal-Mart (it was 2 am.... after playing and beating the demo I had to have it right then). If i'd had gotten home and found out it was a stripped down version I'd have been pissed.

I'm glad to see that someone has a dozen brain cells, unlike some other poster in this thread...
Yes, if you know about it, the three package thing is all very simple, but how many people exactly keep up to date with daily news regarding games? And how many people will buy Half Life 2?
So for those 8 million people that will buy Half Life 2 and have no frigging clue about the fact that there are three different versions, and they see that Wal-Mart has a cheaper copy, then come home and find they can't play multiplayer with it, I can imagine that there will be quite a few rather annoyed customers.

Next time ask your father if you can use the family braincell before you post, Brak.

Creston

Sep 5, 2003, 21:43
Re: So for the five people Sep 5, 2003, 21:43
Sep 5, 2003, 21:43

As far as I know Bronco, the only mention of a subscription fee of $9.95 / month and this will allow you to play any games that are available during the time that Steam is available. As more comes out then you have more to play per month.

But my fear is what if not many people want to go the way with Steam and we all know the amount of games that comes out from Valve. Would you want to pay approx $120 a year for the service? Note that is American pricing too, for us people who are not from the United States we have to take into concideration the dollar value and I say that is too much for my blood per month and it's not even a MMOG.

Sep 5, 2003, 21:23
Bronco

Re: So for the five people Sep 5, 2003, 21:23
Sep 5, 2003, 21:23
 Bronco

how much will what cost?

Steam is free.

If you already have a half-life/cs/dod cd-key you will enter it to gain access to half-life and it's mods using steam.

I guess I wasn't clear.

How much will it cost to acquire/use steam IF you do not have a half-life/cs/dod cd-key?

Surely there are at least 2 people that fall into this catagory.

And it is not free if you have to buy something to gain access to it.

There will be a point when steam is used to power/deliver content that will not be free to cd-key holders. ATMs didn't have fees for years.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
And don't blame society, for all the evidence here, you are a sociopath.
-TPFKAS2S

Hrmm
Sep 5, 2003, 20:59
Hrmm Sep 5, 2003, 20:59
Sep 5, 2003, 20:59

Well here's the pic...
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/images/screensnew/hl2_083103_1.jpg

There's actualy 4 boxes. Maybe this isn't what I thought it was. The headline says "preview boxes", so who knows...

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older