Homeworld 2 Demo Tomorrow

Homeworld 2 Demo Coming Soon is the press release announcing the plan to release the demo of Relic's now-gold space-based RTS sequel tomorrow. Here's the word:
Vivendi Universal Games (VU Games) announced today that, in conjunction with Relic Entertainment, it will release a sneak-peak to Homeworld(r)2, the sequel to 1999's award-winning, space-based real-time strategy game, tomorrow.

The demo will include looks at both the single- and multi-player campaigns of Homeworld 2, including the tutorial mission, two single-player missions, and two multiplayer missions, which will be playable over both LAN and the GameSpy network.

"We recognize that our community's support of Homeworld 2 is both incredibly valuable and vital to the success of this game," said Chris Mahnken, producer of Homeworld 2. "The community has been requesting a demo of the game for many months now, and we are proud to be able to deliver it to them."

The 141 MB Homeworld 2 demo will be released via the VU Games website tomorrow. The company will also make the demo available to all press and community sites that wish to host it.
View : : :
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: mmm
Sep 2, 2003, 22:02
Re: mmm Sep 2, 2003, 22:02
Sep 2, 2003, 22:02

The real problem is publisher's don't really make games. Sure they fund, box, and sell them, but they don't develop the actual game. Often I read EA's game this or that, Sierra's game this or that. Nope - they just fund them, and should NEVER represent the developer in any situation. That's what's causing all the problems.

We need to get to the times where the developers represented themselves and publishing was just a matter of distribution. Publishers don't make games. This is only seen in a few situations, but should always be seen all the time. We never say Doom 3 is Activision's game, always ID's, yet Activision publishes it. This should always be the case. Developers should always have the final decision, representation, and communication with the end-users (players). Publishers should be just that, distributors.

--
"So what does Quake 3 give you? It's quite simple: the utter refinement of deathmatch, and the ultimate multiplayer shooter experience - nothing more, nothing less. " -- Dennis "Thresh" Fong

Sep 2, 2003, 21:58
Re: mmm Sep 2, 2003, 21:58
Sep 2, 2003, 21:58

WebDemon, as a customer service professional, I have to disagree. Yours is very old-school thinking, perhaps from a better time when people had a shred of courtesy with which to deal with one another and perhaps two entire working brain cells to applly towards a problem.

When you represent the company it's your JOB to eat shit and take the high road in situations like this.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! No one, NO ONE, has a job that entails nothing but taking shit. I damnwell gaurantee you that poster has more pressing matters to attend to, and certianly things to be done that will actually have a positive effect in someones life.

I close as I've been to it, I have NEVER let a customer "have it" for bad or unreasonable behavior.

Me neither. I just hang up on them. When they get a clue, IF they get a clue, they can call me. If not, they can take their pain-in-the-assness to some other poor soul.

1.The customer is ALWAYS right, even if he/she is wrong.

WRONG. Many, MANY times the customer simply does not understand the situation. This is especially true trying to explain techincal problems to non-technical people. Sometimes it is important to tell the customer they are incorrect FOR THEIR OWN GOOD!

2.The customer is the person who ALLOWS you to have a job.

NOT the high-maintenance customer. Those are just liabilities. If I could HELP 5 decent, thinking, customers with a clue in the same time that it takes me to get my ass chewed by some dipshit that cant be helped because they REFUSE to be helped, that one a-hole is a drain and can go away.

3.NEVER BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS

Get rid of the deadweight and keep what does YOU good...just like everything else in life.

These guys make video games. The forum is a sideshow. If everyone wants to get their panties in a ruffle because a video game maker put a few obnoxious aholes in their place, so be it.

I am going to play HW2, and it's gonna rock.
MAIN PC (for Soupkin)
=======
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Barton 2800
1024 Meg Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS2(2x512 in Dual Channel)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Maxtor 40 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
Maxtor 60 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
350W Power Supply
Windows XP Home

Re: Better games (slightly OT)
Sep 2, 2003, 21:55
Re: Better games (slightly OT) Sep 2, 2003, 21:55
Sep 2, 2003, 21:55

Did you hit reply on my post as a response to first something? Do you mean Space Tripper by PomPom (makers of Mutant Storm)?

--
"So what does Quake 3 give you? It's quite simple: the utter refinement of deathmatch, and the ultimate multiplayer shooter experience - nothing more, nothing less. " -- Dennis "Thresh" Fong

Re: Better games (slightly OT)
Sep 2, 2003, 21:45
Re: Better games (slightly OT) Sep 2, 2003, 21:45
Sep 2, 2003, 21:45

Oh Goody goody goody!!! Look forward to giving this a spin. I almost finished the first one and had a kick back good time playing it.

-Tony!!!;)
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

Better games (slightly OT)
Sep 2, 2003, 21:35
Better games (slightly OT) Sep 2, 2003, 21:35
Sep 2, 2003, 21:35

If you want to play some better games I suggest checking out two independent titles: Starscape (an epic style game combination sort of like Syndicate but in space) and Mutant Storm (best shooter ever - very intense, awesome graphics, amazing gameplay).

Starscape:

http://www.moonpod.com

Mutant Storm:

http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/view.php?id=18

Independent titles are the future of fun games, in my opinion. The developers care about their games, and can fully support them for a long time, and aren't restrained by mainstream publisher's demanding early release or having to work on other projects, etc.

I think BluesNews should check out those titles and remark on them. I think you'll find them suprisingly addictive.

--

Mmm...
Sep 2, 2003, 21:27
Mmm... Sep 2, 2003, 21:27
Sep 2, 2003, 21:27

...zooming around space ships as I send them to kill things.

Sending all my ships to blow up the people on planet Starcraft :o,
Ray

---------------------------------------------------------
It is never wrong to care for somebody.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
I am not actually a wookiee; I just play one in Star Wars Galaxies
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

No subject
Sep 2, 2003, 21:20
No subject Sep 2, 2003, 21:20
Sep 2, 2003, 21:20

And never tell the community that they are small and inconsequential. These are you biggest fans, the ones which go beyond just liking the game, and who truly take and interest in the continued development of the game series. I could understand if he was reffering to a 5 year old game, and even then its wrong to say that, but Homeworld is a big and successful franchise with a large community.

And I'de like to see these game which he claims have bigger sales potential than Homeworld 2. HalfLife2 and thats about it, I mean Homeworld is big...

Hmmm
Sep 2, 2003, 20:42
Hmmm Sep 2, 2003, 20:42
Sep 2, 2003, 20:42

So he flamed the fanboy site (who will all buy the game anyway) and in the process hass generated mainstream news for a title with an obviously limited marketing budget right before the release of the demo? Bad decision or marketing kudos?

Never Again
Sep 2, 2003, 20:33
Never Again Sep 2, 2003, 20:33
Sep 2, 2003, 20:33

After Sierra canned Dynamix they will never be trusted again - ever.

--

Re: Simmer down now!
Sep 2, 2003, 20:32
Re: Simmer down now! Sep 2, 2003, 20:32
Sep 2, 2003, 20:32

Will you kids shupt up?! You're going to play it, and you're going to like it! I'll turn this goddamned car around and we'll go home right now if you don't simmer down!
Billy, stop teasing your sister!

Is the demo nearly here yet?

Sep 2, 2003, 20:31
Prez

Re: mmm Sep 2, 2003, 20:31
Sep 2, 2003, 20:31
 Prez

I don't know if all these little bitchers qualify as 'customers' since "Sierra sux... I'm never buying Sierra's shit again...Blah-Blah-Blah..." I hear this constantly. Shut up about it and put your money where your mouth is. But I do know this, WebDemon- You are a pompous ass.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Simmer down now!
Sep 2, 2003, 20:27
Simmer down now! Sep 2, 2003, 20:27
Sep 2, 2003, 20:27

Will you kids shupt up?! You're going to play it, and you're going to like it! I'll turn this goddamned car around and we'll go home right now if you don't simmer down!
Billy, stop teasing your sister!

Cthulu loves you. On a bun. With catsup.
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: No subject
Sep 2, 2003, 20:11
Re: No subject Sep 2, 2003, 20:11
Sep 2, 2003, 20:11

jm0ris0n, the Relic communities are mild compared to the torrential seething stream of raw bitterness and vitriol that is Tribalwar. Yet Alex has dealt with them in a pretty professional fashion.

Personally I think he just had a bad hair day, it happens, unfortunately it is very unprofessional to have said what he did publicly. Especially to the community that is probably making up the bulk of your pre-sales orders.

Still, looking forward to the demo. This is a game I have no reservation about as opposed to Tribes 3.

No subject
Sep 2, 2003, 20:05
No subject Sep 2, 2003, 20:05
Sep 2, 2003, 20:05

SWEET - that looks nice

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Sep 2, 2003, 20:02
Re: mmm Sep 2, 2003, 20:02
Sep 2, 2003, 20:02

Ok, I'll go over this once more. It does not matter what the people on the board were like or how they spoke to him. YOU, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, NEVER INSULT THE CUSTOMER. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!! Why is this so hard for people to understand? Jesus Christ! Have a look at my posts on this subject. Penny arcade is saying what I've been saying all weekend and getting flamed for. When you represent the company it's your JOB to eat shit and take the high road in situations like this. Working in advertising for 15 years, I feel for Rodberg, I really do because I know first hand what he's dealing with, but...
I close as I've been to it, I have NEVER let a customer "have it" for bad or unreasonable behavior.
Customer relations made simple:
1.The customer is ALWAYS right, even if he/she is wrong.
2.The customer is the person who ALLOWS you to have a job.
3.NEVER BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS

This guy need to realise that he's lucky to have a job at all, well probably not anymore....
I wish him lick landing another PR gig somewhere because it's not likey for a while.

Re: Yay
Sep 2, 2003, 19:52
Re: Yay Sep 2, 2003, 19:52
Sep 2, 2003, 19:52

I frequent that board, havn't whined a bit either (don't post much though). Sure there are whiners, but thats a case of ten people making enough noise to sound like 100. Still doesn't take away from the Sierra Rep's unprofessionalism. He's paid to deal with the community, if he's not capable of ignoring the 13 year olds that are bitching and answer or communicate the useful information that more mature members of that community do use or think up, then he shouldn't be working in that position, No?

If the guy can't deal with the "pressure" of an active fanbase, then he's got issues of his own. It's easy enough to put the asswipes on an ignore list, or ask moderators to ban/discipline them (which moderators would be likely to do for a reasonable industry rep). If the guy has to sink to a 13 year olds level and scream back at them for abuse he MAY have recieved (which I hadn't noticed BTW if there was any) on an internet forum (shocking!) then he's not doing his job correctly (if he's supposed to be repping Sierra in the first place) I don't see any of the Relic people having a fit due to criticism. [i]Maybe[/i] it takes more integrity to be a developer than a publisher?

Sep 2, 2003, 19:29
Re: No subject Sep 2, 2003, 19:29

Heh I just started replaying Cataclysm this weekend. Bring on the Homeworld goodness!

Re: mmm Sep 2, 2003, 19:29

Everything leading up to that statement was useless bitching anyways. Sure what he said was unprofessional, but who cares. They are *all* whiners on that board from what I've seen. They need to grow up.

Sep 2, 2003, 19:28
Re: No subject Sep 2, 2003, 19:28
Sep 2, 2003, 19:28

well maybe the relic forums were pretty bad. Ever think of that ?

I am really looking forward to HW2. Really, I am. Much better than a call of duty demo.

W00t for homeworld, w00t, w00t, w00t !

mmm
Sep 2, 2003, 19:27
mmm Sep 2, 2003, 19:27
Sep 2, 2003, 19:27

What he said, and the way he said it was really unprofessional imo.

The comment about the community support was probably added because of this, but I imagine that they were planning a demo around now anyway.

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older