S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Movie

A new S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost movie is now available, showing off gameplay from GSC Game World's upcoming shooter. This is the first of a two part release, which is made at the German Games Convention, while the follow-up will appear next week in conjunction with ECTS. The clip comes in a few different sizes, mirrored on 3D Gamers, IGN, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: not worried....
Aug 24, 2003, 23:50
Re: not worried.... Aug 24, 2003, 23:50
Aug 24, 2003, 23:50

So we are to assume then that there are non-western games that do not rely on scripted events?

Operation Flashpoint would be the closest one that comes to my mind at the moment.

On the other hand, Serious Sam, Vietcong, and Mafia are excellent (Probably the best) recent "non-western" games that still rely heavily on scripted events and linearity. There are also relatively open-ended and sparsely scripted "western" games like GTA and Morrowind.

IMO, I don't think you can associate a style of gameplay with the cultural or geographical background of the developers.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: Ah..
Aug 22, 2003, 11:37
Re: Ah.. Aug 22, 2003, 11:37
Aug 22, 2003, 11:37

Well, thee is already the AI. Didn't you see it in the other trailer?

Best regards,

Waqar "HeadHunter" Tariq
Content Manager
http://www.oblivion-lost.com
news@oblivion-lost.com

Ah..
Aug 22, 2003, 09:55
Ah.. Aug 22, 2003, 09:55
Aug 22, 2003, 09:55

We've been seeing the same game for months now, but no GAME. If there is no AI in a game yet, you can surely blow away the graphics capability of an engine. It seems they're getting a solid 30fps in their environments, but that's not great because there is no ai. Once the AI starts to calculate path finding and line of sight checks, your framerate is gonna drop.

This looks like it could be another 'Unreal 2' Looks great, plays terrible.

P.S. I'd laugh if they were gonna put this on a console. Good night..

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 09:56.

Aug 22, 2003, 09:44
Re: not worried.... Aug 22, 2003, 09:44
Aug 22, 2003, 09:44

You specifically mentioned 'western' developers and reliance on scripted events. Usually you name a particular region to contrast it with another. So we are to assume then that there are non-western games that do not rely on scripted events? What games are you referring to? If they are in a similair genre (action/first person) I'll go buy them.

Aug 22, 2003, 05:14
Re: not worried.... Aug 22, 2003, 05:14
Aug 22, 2003, 05:14

"Before you shoot your mouth off, name a single first person game on the planet -- west, east, north or south -- in current release which does not rely on scripted events, then maybe what you said will begin to make the tiniest bit of sense."
thats my whole point dude, IMHO the way games are made needs a total revamping. I guess your oh so high intellect can`t tell that I for one and sick of the treadmill of the way western devs regurgitate game after game after game now. Take a hard look at Unreal 2 for example. But of course, you bought it didn`t you? Anyways, case in point.

All these things I mention are good... to a point. Everything in moderation IS good to a point. But we are seeing an increasing overuse in these things. Over script is the death of the sp game experience IMHO. How you say????? Well, if, IF you or me as a gamer were to be able to play thru the games mission just once, scripting or tight scripting rather WOULD work.

Now lets be honest, most gamers play the mission alot of times over. What we encounter is usually 1 direction only to the objectives, ALL the enemies are inscripted triggered locations. So ooooh awwwwe ohhhh loads of surpises there for sure. So a big part of player exploration of the gameworld, and immersion factor goes out the door.

How then to alleviate this? Random enemy placement, so that the player doesn`t meet the enemy always in the same exact locations. And as well, 3 to 4 different ways to the objective. That would be a start. Some inspired thinking is in order. A reshuffling if you will. I am forced to buy less and less games now because of the treadmill way its all done these days.

As for gameplay? I am glad it shows nothing. For myself, gameplay is an individual thing. What I like you most assuredly may not. I personally am into immersion 1st, and gameplay a close distant 2nd in importance. When gameplay is the mainfocus, you usually get the same game, but different skins these days. Which is why STALKER is more attractive to me, it doesn`t follow the norm characteristics of western game dev. It allows a ton of player freedom, no tightly scripted event sequencing, the list goes on.

But by all means, if thats what floats your boat, play what you like. Flashpoint would be a good example of a game with some script, but allows the player to have the freedom to finish the missions the way they want to, at their pace, and approach the objectives from damn well any direction they choose.

Thx for playing. AAAAH . l8trs

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 05:20.

Aug 22, 2003, 00:33
Zar
Re: not worried.... Aug 22, 2003, 00:33
Aug 22, 2003, 00:33
Zar

Shataan,

Nothing against STALKER, but...

Before you shoot your mouth off, name a single first person game on the planet -- west, east, north or south -- in current release which does not rely on scripted events, then maybe what you said will begin to make the tiniest bit of sense.

Also, if you are basing anything at all from the STALKER trailer in this news item, it shows almost NOTHING of the gameplay, so its quite worthless as a trailer and as a basis for your claims.

Aug 21, 2003, 23:14
Bob
Re: not worried.... Aug 21, 2003, 23:14
Aug 21, 2003, 23:14
Bob

I just hope is doesn't blow.

well, someone was gonna say it

not worried....
Aug 21, 2003, 21:14
not worried.... Aug 21, 2003, 21:14
Aug 21, 2003, 21:14

I love the fact that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looks to buck the trend of western game developement in almost every area. Nothing blows more than too much scripted sequences, only 1 way to finish game/mission mouse to cheese lead ya by the nose objectives, the ol "let`s create a game that lets the player feel they are playing a movie" b/s, miniscule maps that show a seemingly huge gameworld, with tons o walls to bump yer noses into.... the list goes on and on Oh yeah, the western developers endless mission these days of dumbing down their releases to pretty well console game levels.

I hope STALKER blows minds.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 21:15.

Re: Worried...
Aug 21, 2003, 20:15
Re: Worried... Aug 21, 2003, 20:15
Aug 21, 2003, 20:15

Same here. I hope they take their time and really polish every aspect of the game. I'm a patient man.

Worried...
Aug 21, 2003, 19:55
Worried... Aug 21, 2003, 19:55
Aug 21, 2003, 19:55

I'm really stoked for this game. I am looking forward to it but I am keeping my fingers crossed. the graphics look like a sure thing. It's the A.I. thing I guess.

I am always more apprehensive about a game the more a company brags about it's ingenious A.I.. You usually end up with NPC's that run around in circles and get stuck in corners or are totally oblivious to what is going on 5 feet in front of them. They are promising a lot. Basically, a game that evolves with, or with out you. Sounds like they've bit of quite a chunk. Here's wishing them luck.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 20:01.

Well, Dantastic...
Aug 21, 2003, 19:22
Zar
Well, Dantastic... Aug 21, 2003, 19:22
Aug 21, 2003, 19:22
Zar

...That is some serious abuse of the smiley feature...

I like it!

Re: No subject
Aug 21, 2003, 18:30
Re: No subject Aug 21, 2003, 18:30
Aug 21, 2003, 18:30

well its good to hear they are addressing the problems / actually completing the game before release. Hate to think the size & frequency of patches if they'd released this on their original schedule!

"Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul"
===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Re: No subject
Aug 21, 2003, 18:04
Re: No subject Aug 21, 2003, 18:04
Aug 21, 2003, 18:04

"Hasn't this now slipped to Q2 2004 ?"

Yep. Good thing, too. In the latest hands on previews I hear the AI is barely touched upon. An extra several months of development *should* do the trick, but you never can tell.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 18:05.

No subject
Aug 21, 2003, 17:43
No subject Aug 21, 2003, 17:43
Aug 21, 2003, 17:43

Hasn't this now slipped to Q2 2004 ?

"Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul"
===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Re: GC
Aug 21, 2003, 17:22
Re: GC Aug 21, 2003, 17:22
Aug 21, 2003, 17:22

my futurama vol. 2 dvd is on its way to my apartment as i type!

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
:oX|X|X|:oX|:oX|:oX|X|X|:o:oX|X|:o:o:oX|:o:oX|:o:oX|:o
:o:oX|:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:o:o:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:oX|:oX|X|:oX|:o
:o:oX|:o:oX|X|X|:oX|X|:o:o:oX|:oX|:oX|X|X|:oX|:oX|X|:o
:o:oX|:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:o:o:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:oX|:oX|:o:oX|:o
:o:oX|:o:oX|:oX|:oX|X|X|:o:oX|X|:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:o:oX|:o
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
ExcessDan

GC
Aug 21, 2003, 17:14
GC Aug 21, 2003, 17:14
Aug 21, 2003, 17:14

wohoo, tomorrow I'll go to the Games Convention...

hooray for me, horray for Zoidberg

--------------------------------------------------
just because of Ray...

http://users.ign.com/collection/species8472
--------------------------------------------------
"...you don't see me - 'cause I don't have much to say..."
http://www.gathering.nl
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older