Ships Ahoy: Lionheart

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader Ships to Retail (thanks Frans) is the press release with word that this SPECIAL-system alternate-reality RPG from Reflexive and Black Isle is shipping to stores. Here's a bit:
In the game, players can control the entire party themselves or join forces with up to four gamers for mission-based cooperative multi-play. As they progress through the realm of Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader, players will be able to arm themselves with hundreds of melee weapons and 60 devastating spell attacks as they attempt to turn the tide against a savage onslaught of otherworldly creatures. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader also features the SPECIAL RPG system for character advancement previously found in the Fallout® series of PC games.
View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Dammit
Aug 21, 2003, 11:16
Re: Dammit Aug 21, 2003, 11:16
Aug 21, 2003, 11:16

So off you go to rescue the children, and guess what? You have to walk through a dark forest / maze to get there. So you go NE, oops, that's not it. Try again. Go NW, yes that's it. Now what? Hmm, north? No, sorry, try again.
AAARRRGGGHHHH

Use Wilderness Lore.

Aug 21, 2003, 11:13
Re: Dammit Aug 21, 2003, 11:13
Aug 21, 2003, 11:13

After PlaneScape : Torment & Fallout 2 all their good designers must have packed up and left, leaving only the fucking rejects there to design anything.

Not really, the lead designer of Planescape: Torment only left 2 months ago. They just haven't had the money to go into a protracted development cycle so their only option has been to produce low cost-fast development games that will have at least a medium return. Truly unfortunate because Black Isle still has a great amount of talent, talent that can't be put to use because of money constraints.

Holy shit did Saint Proverbius just post here?

Aug 21, 2003, 10:24
Re: Dammit Aug 21, 2003, 10:24
Aug 21, 2003, 10:24

Hey Creston, got a Ranger or Druid? Or anyone else with the skill, i forget now what they call it, pathfinding, or scouting, or whatever where in a new area it tells you what kind of creatures there are and what kind of footprints you see? Try using that skill (whatever it's called)in each new section of that maze, and it's no longer a maze.
-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

Re: Flawed game
Aug 21, 2003, 09:41
Re: Flawed game Aug 21, 2003, 09:41
Aug 21, 2003, 09:41

> 2. Black Isle has made Fallout 1/2 and
> Plancescape: Torment. Bioware only wishes
> they could do something that good.

Black Isle wishes they made Fallout, but they didn't. Fallout was released in 1997 and developed by people who left Interplay around the time BIS was founded in 1998.

Oh yeah, and BioWare does make three things better than BIS; hype, money, and excuses.

Oh yeah, and to #30.. It's funny you're complaining about how alignment is handled in IWD2 and at the same time praising BioWare.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 09:44.

Aug 21, 2003, 05:01
Flo

Re: Dammit Aug 21, 2003, 05:01
Aug 21, 2003, 05:01
 Flo

Agreed, that is one hell of an annoying maze but to judge the whole game from that is just insane. For this part of the game I just read a gamefaq, skipped it fast and continued an otherwise amazing and compelling game.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Dammit
Aug 21, 2003, 03:54
Dammit Aug 21, 2003, 03:54
Aug 21, 2003, 03:54

I was hoping Lionheart would be good or better than good, so I'd have some CRPG to play to tide me over until Temple of Elemental Evil and KotOR.

Now it seems it really isn't. Sigh... I'm currently playing Icewind Dale 2, and the game starts off well, and then goes to fucking shambles in chapter 3.

"The village needs your help, our children are missing".
What the fuck do I care? I play a party of Neutral Evil BUTCHERS, but the game forces me to save the poor little children because we the programmers spent half an hour on scripting that quest, and we don't want you to bypass it.
The justification, ingame, for that quest is that the village elder knows a way through the forest, but won't tell you unless you help them. My main talker has Intimidate 14, is standing there with his 6 fellow butchers, but he can't intimidate the answer out of the bint. So off you go to rescue the children, and guess what? You have to walk through a dark forest / maze to get there. So you go NE, oops, that's not it. Try again. Go NW, yes that's it. Now what? Hmm, north? No, sorry, try again.
AAARRRGGGHHHH

It's this kind of "design" that has made me just shake my head whenever Black Isle releases something again. After PlaneScape : Torment & Fallout 2 all their good designers must have packed up and left, leaving only the fucking rejects there to design anything.

Oh well, hopefully Bioware will realise that PC owners actually made them into what they are today, and so they'll release KotOR at SOME point before everyone goes stark raving mad.

Creston

Re: Player Character Speed?
Aug 20, 2003, 23:26
Re: Player Character Speed? Aug 20, 2003, 23:26
Aug 20, 2003, 23:26

Honestly, I am really enjoying this game, although the combat isn't as stratigic as I'd like and a little too much like Diablo. I was kind of surprized and shocked that it only got a 6.5 from gamespot, I'd probably rate it low 80's. I think the artwork is fantastic, especially the backgrounds, and there's a whole lot more depth than Diablo. It does a reasonably good job of telling a story.

I'm having fun with it, and it should hold me over till ToEE and KOTOR get to pc. It's not the most epic roleplaying experience ever, but I think it does pretty well at what it aims for.
-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

Aug 20, 2003, 23:15
Re: Player Character Speed? Aug 20, 2003, 23:15
Aug 20, 2003, 23:15

BG stomps fallout 1-2

ROFLMFAO

Okay, bud. You obviously have no grasp of what constitutes good CRPG design. Oh please please give me more one solution (read combat) quests, as little roleplay as possible, and a mediocre rules system that was never meant to be translated to the PC.

Bioware makes - BG
Black Isle makes a crappier copy = IWD

Bioware makes: BG
Black Isle makes: Planescape Torment

Due to financial constraints Black Isle makes IWD in the hopes of a low cost, medium return game.

Bioware makes: BG2
Black Isle under increasing financial pressure makes IWD expansion in the hopes of making enough money to go into a longer development cycle in which they can make another AAA title. This effort fails.

Bioware makes NWN

Black Isle is glad their name isn't associated with the most disappointing CRPG ever.
Snowblind Studios makes BG Dark Alliance.

And dont fucking tell me BI didnt design the game or wasnt making influence, who the fuck are reflexive anyway.

Reflexive Entertainment designed Lionheart. According to the manual Reflexive did the Programming, Producing, 3D Art and Animation, Art, Level Design, and Writing. Black Isle Studios did Marketing, PR, and Audio. You tell me who is responsible for the highly enjoyable, though highly flawed, game that is Lionheart.

Thought I might add Reflexive's website: http://www.reflexive.net/

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 01:40.

No subject
Aug 20, 2003, 22:42
No subject Aug 20, 2003, 22:42
Aug 20, 2003, 22:42

I had almost no combat at all untill I had to enter the crypt, and after that it is pure Diablow style combat. I'd say the first half is just a shade under Planescape or Fallout, but after that crypt level... better hope you have a combat skill as a tagged skill... you'll be regretting it otherwise. Waiting around after every fight for my mana and hp to regen, since there is no rest option, gets very boring. I'd be willing to accept the combat too, if you could rest, but you cant... its not the worst, but I probably won't get the will power to finish the game for a good while.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Re: Fanboyz
Aug 20, 2003, 22:28
Re: Fanboyz Aug 20, 2003, 22:28
Aug 20, 2003, 22:28

Fallout 4eva! Woo!
"Only J00 can prevent Forum Fires"
-Smokah teh ß3@|2

Aug 20, 2003, 22:18
Re: Player Character Speed? Aug 20, 2003, 22:18
Aug 20, 2003, 22:18

Lionheart really isnt that bad speed wise....I do miss turn based though....those were PLOT oriented games back then, not how well you could click on an enemy as it ran around.

You want CRACK INDUCED combat, go play some Arcanum. That game had SO much potential, it was just buggy(at first), had a HUGE clunky interface, and the combat.....an enemy could sprint across the entire screen in .008 seconds flat (and you could very well be dead .1 seconds thereafter). Good luck trying to cast a spell on the FLASH that just beat the piss out of your char.....

That said, I did like Arcanum...

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 22:19.
--------------------------------------------------
Kiss my shiny metal ass

Fanboyz
Aug 20, 2003, 22:16
Fanboyz Aug 20, 2003, 22:16
Aug 20, 2003, 22:16

BG stomps fallout 1-2

Ok.......

-DSR

Aug 20, 2003, 22:08
Re: Player Character Speed? Aug 20, 2003, 22:08
Aug 20, 2003, 22:08

lol @ all the fanboys, BG stomps fallout 1-2 IWD and other pathetic attempts at RPG(CRPG), PST was pretty cool though.

LOL @ some n00b who said IWD was "exelent"

NWN with all mods put together is bigger then all of those games together and alot of mods are pretty damn good.

"oh no how dares he mock fallout 2!"

Bioware makes - BG
Black Isle makes a crappier copy = IWD

Bioware makes - BG II
Black Isle makes a crappier copy = IWD II

Bioware makes - NWN
Black Isle makes a crappier sort of copy = BG Alliance(probably shitties RPG ever.)

Lionheart is so influenced by BG and yet they tried to stay away from it and made it totaly fucked up, something between fallout system + bg combat on steroids and less rpg.

And dont fucking tell me BI didnt design the game or wasnt making influence, who the fuck are reflexive anyway.
This comment was edited on Aug 20, 22:29.

Player Character Speed?
Aug 20, 2003, 21:54
Player Character Speed? Aug 20, 2003, 21:54
Aug 20, 2003, 21:54

A Speed Slider has been added that allows the user to select the speed that the game plays out between ranges of 70% to 100%. It is accessed by hitting the escape button. There is a slider in the middle of the small menu that allows speeds to be switched.

Saw that info about the patch... does that mean the retail version still has a player character that moves at the speed of a tweaker on crack?

That was the main thing that turned me off in the demo. I felt like I was playing Nox, which was a POS in my opinion.

Why a player character would normally move at such a high rate of speed is beyond me. I'd like to see how fast they move with a haste spell or boots of speed on. They would be a blur and the combat would be even more chaotic(reads hard to click on enemies). No thx...

Sad thing is I was really looking forward to this one. Maybe after the next patch I will give it a try. Maybe...

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 22:00.

No subject
Aug 20, 2003, 19:51
PHJF

No subject Aug 20, 2003, 19:51
Aug 20, 2003, 19:51
 PHJF

wtf? Did you just say "crappier than IWD"?

What kind of stupid moron are you, IWD was excellent... Very good combat fest with enough of a story to hold it together. IWD2 is a masterpiece to me, also.

Man, you are an ASS to be reckoned with in stupidity.

“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 20, 2003, 19:45
Re: Flawed game Aug 20, 2003, 19:45
Aug 20, 2003, 19:45

Black Isle = Bioware wannabies

Possibly the dumbest thing I've read today.

Upcoming Patch
Aug 20, 2003, 19:44
Upcoming Patch Aug 20, 2003, 19:44
Aug 20, 2003, 19:44

BTW, just saw a thread on the Lionheart forums indicating that a patch is going through "quality assurance" right now:
Here is a list of the patch fixes:

1) Optimizations to the size and frequency of network packets. This will help low bandwidth connections such as 56k modems.

2) Increased the timeout time for non-guaranteed data so more of it gets a chance to make it to the client on a slow modem.

3) Faster 3D rendering. This generally speeds up the game when there are numerous characters on screen. This doesn't mean that characters have been sped up, it means that machines that saw dips in framerate during scenes with many characters should see an improvement with the patch.

4) Fixed rendering error that occurred in some loaded saved games with dragons.

5) A Speed Slider has been added that allows the user to select the speed that the game plays out between ranges of 70% to 100%. It is accessed by hitting the escape button. There is a slider in the middle of the small menu that allows speeds to be switched.
(http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=27388)

Aug 20, 2003, 19:26
Re: Flawed game Aug 20, 2003, 19:26
Aug 20, 2003, 19:26

Played some more hours: Nice setting, fun (historic) characters, nice dialogues, interesting RPG system (I really prefer AD&D though), terrible, terrible interface, very chaotic combat, mostly boring items.

Aug 20, 2003, 19:08
Re: Flawed game Aug 20, 2003, 19:08
Aug 20, 2003, 19:08

HAHA, You made me laugh! Oh shit, you were serious.

1. Lionheart was made by Reflexive Entertainment, Black Isle/IPLY is the publisher.

2. Black Isle has made Fallout 1/2 and Plancescape: Torment. Bioware only wishes they could do something that good.

3. Baldur's Gate 1, think back and tell me how much roleplaying there was. There wasn't much. Mostly just non-linear hack and slash. Statements that BG was anything more is looking at the game through rose-colored glasses.

4. Baldur's Gate 2, while improving the gameplay Bioware also made 2/3 of the game entirely linear. Why must the early plot revolve around me saving Imoen? I never liked the bitch anyway.

5. Throne of Bhaal, completely linear hack and slash. Maybe 5 subquests in the entire game. Dialogue trees where you have 5 possible responses but each one gets the same answer from the NPC.

6. NWN, Worst. Single-player. CRPG. Ever. Well maybe not, but the OC was incredibly bland and even made BG look like a masterpiece in comparison.

7. Shadows of Undrentide, improved on the NWN OC in some areas but was a complete rush job with the latter half of the campaign being even worse than the OC.

8. KotoR, from what I've heard it's quite good. Maybe Bioware is starting to live up to it's rep.

Aug 20, 2003, 18:44
Re: Flawed game Aug 20, 2003, 18:44
Aug 20, 2003, 18:44

There are so many things wrong with that statement...

Does "Reflexive" ring a bell? Yeah...after playing this game some more today, I do like it....it isnt Fallout, but it is good.

Kiss my shiny metal butt
Kiss my shiny metal ass
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older