More DOOM 3

With QuakeCon getting underway, there are some QuakeCon Doom 3 Multiplayer Impressions on HomeLAN Fed describing the multiplayer action on tap at the show. Since some of the first comments on the story below concern physics, here is what this update has to say on the subject: "Rag doll physics was in evidence during the Doom III multiplayer demo, including objects like boxes and barrels that could be moved by weapons fire and a dead body hanging from the ceiling during one portion of the level that could also be moved by weapons fire. Some glass windows could also be smash but unlike most glass in games the window didn’t shatter all at once but rather in pieces."
View : : :
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

No subject
Aug 14, 2003, 18:45
No subject Aug 14, 2003, 18:45
Aug 14, 2003, 18:45

that my views are MY OPINION. This forum was also designed so that we can all discuss (thus the name "discussion board") the games, to talk about what we like, don't like, expect, require and so on

Llama

Ok, great, I was discussing my opinion, what I felt, is that you were bashing Doom3, which is in itself "lame" because It seems every unhappy, disgruntled itiot with a computer can come online and bash whatever they want behind their shield of anonymity. Maybe you're an exception rock climber, maybe you actually climb rocks in addition to playing games, Good for you.

Sure. Since you're a fucking jew, it's clear to me why you say this, fucker.

Why don't you just suicide and make the world a better place to live?

And you seem to be making this world a better place by saying things like this? I fail to see how you can even say those two sentences next to eachother and have someone actually take you seriously.

And this is the reason I do not read the messages on blues news, all we are are a bunch of irritated monkies running around with our asses on fire throwing crap at eachother accomplishing nothing. Back to discussing Doom3 folks. I'll leave now.

Re: hmmm
Aug 14, 2003, 18:42
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 18:42
Aug 14, 2003, 18:42

tbh looking at the time when HL1 was about there was a game that imho kicked major ass in terms of gameplay, graphics, story AND AI, namely Unreal.

I Always thought that Unreal was a very underrated game, it was a pure masterpiece and so ahead of its time.

Aug 14, 2003, 18:40
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 18:40
Aug 14, 2003, 18:40

System Shock blew donky. It's not even remotely related to FPS games.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Aug 14, 2003, 18:23
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 18:23
Aug 14, 2003, 18:23

It is good to know that Hitler's spirit lives on in you my friend.

The irony is that a) I am not jewish b) I am your boss.

So c) Sit the f*** down.

Aug 14, 2003, 18:10
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 18:10
Aug 14, 2003, 18:10

"No you will not make that choice Rock Climber. I am the boss of you, I will make that choice for you, and you will enjoy it. Are we clear? ARE WE CLEAR????

Thats what I thought."

Sure. Since you're a fucking jew, it's clear to me why you say this, fucker.

Why don't you just suicide and make the world a better place to live?

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 18:12.

Aug 14, 2003, 17:54
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 17:54
Aug 14, 2003, 17:54

Quote from Rock Climber :
I don't need a half wit like you to tell me how I should personally be experiencing games. I will make that choice.

No you will not make that choice Rock Climber. I am the boss of you, I will make that choice for you, and you will enjoy it. Are we clear? ARE WE CLEAR????

Thats what I thought.

Aug 14, 2003, 17:34
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 17:34
Aug 14, 2003, 17:34

I won't deny that Lancelot, but that wasn't what the remark I responded to said.

The way the story in Half Life was told was pretty cool, even though I think it found its roots in the way the original System Shock told you the story (through the emails and stuff you found, no cutscenes to be found in SS either), but the PLOT itself was pretty unspectacular.

Creston

Edit : it was the first game of it's kind to put you IN a story and make you feel like you were really there.

Not really rock climber. System Shock did it way before Half Life was ever under production.

I'm not bashing Half Life, btw, I think it was a great game, it just wasn't as big a revelation / New Thing (tm) as some people seem to feel it was.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 17:36.

Aug 14, 2003, 17:18
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 17:18
Aug 14, 2003, 17:18

RE Post #43 "Because, really, what plot did Half Life have?"

There was no plot the thing that made Half life great was the way the story line was executed into the game play rather than a few cut scenes. Everything to do with the plot / story was fed to you in game via characters, PA or whatever.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 17:19.

Aug 14, 2003, 17:10
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 17:10
Aug 14, 2003, 17:10

Detroit, Ottawa and other major cities are down too. It was due to a cascading power failure starting at the Niagara - Mohawk grid.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 17:42.
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Aug 14, 2003, 17:09
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 17:09
Aug 14, 2003, 17:09

Zeta,

The kind of "life" I am talking about, you freaking moron, is INTERACTIVITY. The game worlds need to me more interactive, IMO. I don't give a shit if it is a "dark" city in from the depths of hell, or if it's in a pretty field with sunshine and flowers.

I don't need a half wit like you to tell me how I should personally be experiencing games. I will make that choice. If you notice in each of my posts, I make it clear that my views are MY OPINION. This forum was also designed so that we can all discuss (thus the name "discussion board") the games, to talk about what we like, don't like, expect, require and so on.

Llama.

--

Aug 14, 2003, 17:08
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 17:08
Aug 14, 2003, 17:08

HOLY CRAP! The entire North Eastern POWER GRID is OFFLINE. NYC has ZERO power!

Blue must have his missus on the treadmill keeping the Blues server up and running. Faster, woman faster!!!

Re: I don't get it...
Aug 14, 2003, 17:06
Re: I don't get it... Aug 14, 2003, 17:06
Aug 14, 2003, 17:06

What's the point to develop today's games with such an engine (D3) that can't render open spaces fast enough on today's latest hardware?

Maybe it can. And if it can't they'll have to use a different engine. Some engines are better than others for certain things. A developer looking to license just needs to make the right choice.

Aug 14, 2003, 17:05
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 17:05
Aug 14, 2003, 17:05

HOLY CRAP! The entire North Eastern POWER GRID is OFFLINE. NYC has ZERO power!

--

Aug 14, 2003, 17:02
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 17:02
Aug 14, 2003, 17:02

DOOM 3 just doesn't look as "alive" as HL2. Some people won't care about that. I do. I've been looking for a game that brings the world more to life instead of just making it look prettier

Go play a different game then, what do you expect from a company called ID? They're games have always been about the "darker side" of things. Personally I love it, I hate all these games that try to bring the world more to "life" If I understand you correctly. As far as I'm concerned it's all about the gameplay and atmosphere and If it's dark and dead, so be it, It's just an experience to be appreciated on it's own, like looking at a painting, you don't look at a painting and wish it to be something else, you see it and you either choose to experience it, or you don't like it and move on.

I don't get it...
Aug 14, 2003, 16:51
I don't get it... Aug 14, 2003, 16:51
Aug 14, 2003, 16:51

...think about other game developers that want to use the iD engine.
What's the point to develop today's games with such an engine (D3) that can't render open spaces fast enough on today's latest hardware?

Aug 14, 2003, 16:44
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 16:44
Aug 14, 2003, 16:44

All I can say is, I hope I am pleasantly surprised by DOOM 3. Judging (for myself) based on the media we have seen of both games, DOOM 3 just doesn't look as "alive" as HL2. Some people won't care about that. I do. I've been looking for a game that brings the world more to life instead of just making it look prettier.

RagDoll physics may seem like a big deal to some, but I never even really noticed them in the few games it's in today. I cracked up laughing the other day when I watched that ragdoll movie of Tribes Vengence. After about 2 deaths I was like, big deal. I never paid any attention to ragdoll in the unreal games. It's just not that noticeable in a game that moves so fast.

Rag Doll, flying boxes and barrels, bodies that move when you shoot them (rag doll)...... not enough.

I'm sure Carmack and the gang have a few tricks up their sleaves. They always do. It's a good thing though the two games aren't competing this xmas, cause if I only had money on one of them, I would spend it on HL2.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 16:48.
--

Aug 14, 2003, 16:35
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 16:35
Aug 14, 2003, 16:35

41: Marine AI

Immersion + enemies hiding and tossing grenades at you made that game. Otherwise, it's just iD with an interactive plot. The game would have been boring, even with great immersion in the 'story', unless the marine AI was so FUN to play against.

Aug 14, 2003, 16:25
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 16:25
Aug 14, 2003, 16:25

"And Warren Spector proved to us that Plot is king"

Don't forget Chris Avellone (Planescape: Torment)!

Aug 14, 2003, 16:18
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 16:18
Aug 14, 2003, 16:18

Ok, we aren't comparing arcade graphics with PC graphics back then. We are talking about PC shooters of the day. And the graphics didn't suck for PC games back then either. We also aren't talking about RPG games. Back then RPG games and shooters were so far apart in the way they worked, its like comparing TV to Radio. They are closer these days, and even same games like SWG cross over into both genres. I never played Hexen except maybe to take a look at it back then. It may be the only exception to my above statement. Was Hexen an RPG, or just a different kind of shooter?

No, the plot of HL1 wasn't the most original one of all time. The point was though, it was the first game of it's kind to put you IN a story and make you feel like you were really there.

It was amazing to me. I bought it the day it came out and I have been FPS gaming since Wolfy was new. I played all the doom flavors and played through all 3 quakes along with other shooters. In my opinion not even the story wrapped into Unreal 1 was executed as well as in HL1. Unreal may have had a more original story, but you didn't feel like you were emmersed in is as much. Of course, that is just my opinion.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 16:31.
--

Aug 14, 2003, 16:17
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 16:17
Aug 14, 2003, 16:17

Creston: Right on... doom 1 + 2 in one plot...

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older