More DOOM 3

With QuakeCon getting underway, there are some QuakeCon Doom 3 Multiplayer Impressions on HomeLAN Fed describing the multiplayer action on tap at the show. Since some of the first comments on the story below concern physics, here is what this update has to say on the subject: "Rag doll physics was in evidence during the Doom III multiplayer demo, including objects like boxes and barrels that could be moved by weapons fire and a dead body hanging from the ceiling during one portion of the level that could also be moved by weapons fire. Some glass windows could also be smash but unlike most glass in games the window didn’t shatter all at once but rather in pieces."
View : : :
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: Gibs?
Aug 15, 2003, 00:08
Re: Gibs? Aug 15, 2003, 00:08
Aug 15, 2003, 00:08

"You always forget to say that it's YOUR OPINION, that shitty games like System Shock are awesome. I think it sucked ass, and therefore, it sucked ass to me. Funny how that works eh?"

System Shock 2 got rave reviews and awards. A majority of gamers out there acknowledge SS2 as a classic. Funny how that works eh? But that's just my opinion.

-Tony!!!;)
This comment was edited on Aug 15, 00:09.
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

Re: Gibs?
Aug 14, 2003, 23:32
Re: Gibs? Aug 14, 2003, 23:32
Aug 14, 2003, 23:32

I hope to god the people in washington arent reading this

Some of you guys are weird...
Aug 14, 2003, 22:03
Some of you guys are weird... Aug 14, 2003, 22:03
Aug 14, 2003, 22:03

There are all these great games on the horizon (HL 2, Doom 3, Halo 2, etc..) but rather than be excited that you'll have more games than you have time for you get bitter and whine about how one isn't as amazing as the other or whatever...

Sorry for the run on... kinda..

Anyway; I'm looking forward to Doom 3 (not for the multiplayer, though).
I eat pasta!

Re: Who crapped in your shoes?
Aug 14, 2003, 21:55
Re: Who crapped in your shoes? Aug 14, 2003, 21:55
Aug 14, 2003, 21:55

HL2 has the fall to itself. Poor D3 will have to compete with Halo2 now. Guess which game will knock your socks off more. Ohh, and it won't be graphics that are the determining factor. I'll still get D3 though. Know why, because it will be fun. That's all that matters. By then hopefully TF for HL2 will have been released - and maybe by some miracle Valve will mirror it on the original TF - as a present for all their original fans.

Hmmm, Q1 04 - D3, Halo2, TFHL2.

Aug 14, 2003, 21:53
Re: Who crapped in your shoes? Aug 14, 2003, 21:53
Aug 14, 2003, 21:53

Scottish Martial Arts (laugh)

You always forget to say that it's YOUR OPINION, that shitty games like System Shock are awesome. I think it sucked ass, and therefore, it sucked ass to me. Funny how that works eh?

Now, why don't you shut that cock-holster (mouth) of yours.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Aug 14, 2003, 21:22
Re: Who crapped in your shoes? Aug 14, 2003, 21:22
Aug 14, 2003, 21:22

Doom 3 and Half Life 2 are as good as people think they are because they represent the best of gaming technology to this date. Get a different hobby if you can't understand the importants of these games. They are milestones. Brother.

Some of you act like it's a crime to get excited over something. You actually DON'T understand. Very sad. To those of you to whom this applies, just go out in your backyard and burry yourselves already.

-Tony!!!;)
-Tony!!!;)

Aug 14, 2003, 21:15
Re: Who crapped in your shoes? Aug 14, 2003, 21:15
Aug 14, 2003, 21:15

Hang on... That's not my girlfriend!!! It's Filter's mom, and she's really, really good. Some people just don't have a sense of humour, I guess, or a grip with reality.

Aug 14, 2003, 21:00
Re: Who crapped in your shoes? Aug 14, 2003, 21:00
Aug 14, 2003, 21:00

What a life!!!

Aug 14, 2003, 20:59
Re: Who crapped in your shoes? Aug 14, 2003, 20:59
Aug 14, 2003, 20:59

Oh, and my girlfriend is giving me a blowjob while I type this message. She doesn't know what I am typing because she is under the desk. Ah!!

Aug 14, 2003, 20:57
Re: Who crapped in your shoes? Aug 14, 2003, 20:57
Aug 14, 2003, 20:57

I swear to god, some people will never be happy. You're the kind of guy who looks down on the world as if everything they do is wrong, and you need to let them know they're doing it that way, without any word on how to fix it.

My point is that even though I plan to buy both games I am sick of hearing people describing each as the be-all and end-all. Some peple need to realise that as good as each game is they are not even quite as good as they like to think they are.

Half Life 2 from a purely objective point of view is a game without peers in terms of providing a game engine for budding developers to create mods for. Already we've seen modders of yesteryear become the innovators and contributors of today. This isn't about graphics entirely, this is about fun, and finding new ways to have it. When someone bounced the idea of playing basketball with manipulator guns off Gabe, his reply was something to the tune of "yeah, you could do it" in a way that made me feel all tingly inside.

Nobody can say this for sure until they start making mods for this game and DOOM3. Although a mod for HalfLife 1 was great that doesn't guarantee that it will be great for HalfLife 2. So you are not being objective... you are being prematurely subjective without the evidence to back it up.

Go find someone elses parade to rain on you cynical old man.

I'm not raining on anyones parade, although some people here seem to enjoy doing so, saying one game is better because of this feature or that feature. I am just pointing out that BOTH games have some real, fundamental problems. At the same time BOTH games are going to be really good when they come out. Unfortunately HL2 isn't going to be that much better graphically and DOOM3 is going to cost me 10 x the cost of the game itself in upgrades to play it.

P.S. Ever think the movie was recorded on lowest difficulty so that it could show off the game

The bink videos are 1024 x 768. That is fairly high quality and it looks worse than the big 600 meg video that was released just after E3 because all the graphical artifacts are more obvious.

Don't take it so personally, man. In 5 years we will all be laughing at how GREAT we thought each of these games were.

Re: hmmm
Aug 14, 2003, 20:50
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 20:50
Aug 14, 2003, 20:50

Nemsis, you racist asshole. Go back in your cave, Hitler Jungen.

EDIT: And vajbern... don't say things about having a "life" if you post on PC gaming message boards.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 20:54.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Re: Which Is A Better Game??
Aug 14, 2003, 20:42
Re: Which Is A Better Game?? Aug 14, 2003, 20:42
Aug 14, 2003, 20:42

haha, you're telling me to go get a life? Look how much of your life you wasted trying to state your stupid point. How can you say HL2 graphics look the same. Load up the orginal hl and then compare. I hate people that think themselves higher than all. You are a dork, dont be in denial.

Doom3 mp screens
Aug 14, 2003, 20:40
Doom3 mp screens Aug 14, 2003, 20:40
Aug 14, 2003, 20:40

http://www.gamer.nl/nieuws/18733

_______________________ __ _

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated December 25th

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009

Who crapped in your shoes?
Aug 14, 2003, 20:20
Who crapped in your shoes? Aug 14, 2003, 20:20
Aug 14, 2003, 20:20

"As for HalfLife 2: It looks like shite, even shite-ier in those high-res binks (For Godssake, turn on the AA). Don't the binks make you feel like you are looking at a slightly crisper rehash of the original.
In the "barricade" movie the Combine soldiers are no challenge compared with the "enemy" soldiers from the original. They take so long to reload you could kill them with your crowbar before they get to shoot you again."

I swear to god, some people will never be happy. You're the kind of guy who looks down on the world as if everything they do is wrong, and you need to let them know they're doing it that way, without any word on how to fix it.

Half Life 2 from a purely objective point of view is a game without peers in terms of providing a game engine for budding developers to create mods for. Already we've seen modders of yesteryear become the innovators and contributors of today. This isn't about graphics entirely, this is about fun, and finding new ways to have it. When someone bounced the idea of playing basketball with manipulator guns off Gabe, his reply was something to the tune of "yeah, you could do it" in a way that made me feel all tingly inside.

Go find someone elses parade to rain on you cynical old man.

P.S. Ever think the movie was recorded on lowest difficulty so that it could show off the game?

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 20:24.

Re: Which Is A Better Game??
Aug 14, 2003, 20:02
Re: Which Is A Better Game?? Aug 14, 2003, 20:02
Aug 14, 2003, 20:02

I've had enough of this crap. Doom 3 won't come out soon enough to not be a huge disappointment. Also, you are definitely going to have to upgrade your computer if you want to play DM, and that goes for idiots that have already (and in some cases recently) upgraded for this game, so many months before it is even released.
I never thought I would ever read that a GF5900 would experience slowdown at 640 x 480 with no AA: that is a very, very scary indicator of the final games requirements if you want to play DM.

As for HalfLife 2: It looks like shite, even shite-ier in those high-res binks (For Godssake, turn on the AA). Don't the binks make you feel like you are looking at a slightly crisper rehash of the original.
In the "barricade" movie the Combine soldiers are no challenge compared with the "enemy" soldiers from the original. They take so long to reload you could kill them with your crowbar before they get to shoot you again.

So you guys arguing about which game is the best: get outside and get some fresh air. Don't be alarmed by that yellow ball in the sky: It is commonly referred to as the sun!! Get a life and try and meet a good woman: There is no game that comes close to good sex (except maybe Quake 1 DM4 1-on-1, tehehe).

Quakecon pics
Aug 14, 2003, 19:53
Quakecon pics Aug 14, 2003, 19:53
Aug 14, 2003, 19:53

JCal has some pics of the event up:

I thought my monitor was the pinnacle of disgusting......until I saw this:

http://www.homelanfed.com/images/jcal/qcon2k39.jpg

mine has a bit more of a nicotine patina but....ewwwwww

Then theres this "Big daddy Ed Roth LIVES!
" model

http://www.homelanfed.com/images/jcal/qcon2k316.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Aug 14, 2003, 19:42
Gus
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 19:42
Aug 14, 2003, 19:42
Gus

We couldn’t find out what the hardware specs were on the demo machines

Am i supposed to believe this? let me guess, they use ghey machines @ the Conn? (486DX2 50 with a 4mg diamond card)
no wonder they wont release this year.
I will probably wait for Q4 by then i will probably have th 5 Gig machine i need to run this at 10/7.

Re: yawn
Aug 14, 2003, 19:41
Re: yawn Aug 14, 2003, 19:41
Aug 14, 2003, 19:41

System Shock 2 was an Amazing game for it's time!!! Now that was the first FPS to make me feel like I was part of a unfolding story. It was very eerie. All the crew dead, but you connected to these people through thier video logs and learned of thier personalities and what became of them. I was so bummed I couln't save that french chick. Also, with surround sound, that game had spookie atmosphere.

This is one reason I'm looking foward to Doom. This is the perfect type of engine for a sequel to System Shock 2 if ever there will be one. Heck, seems Doom is going for that kind of 'creep you out' atmosphere that was so prevelant in SS2.

Please God let me win alot of money so I can buy the best pc known to man.

-Tony!!!;)
-Tony!!!;)

Aug 14, 2003, 19:36
Re: hmmm Aug 14, 2003, 19:36
Aug 14, 2003, 19:36

System Shock blew donky. It's not even remotely related to FPS games

Alright Rock Climber:

Stick your finger in your mouth as if your to make the popping sound.

Make Popping sound.

Great! Now that you got your head out of your ass let me explain a few things:

System Shocks remains one of the best games of all time. It's only weaknesses were average graphics and a UI that had a steep learning curve (it was however very elegant and powerful once you made sense of it). Despite those very small flaws it is one of the best first person shooters ever, not to mention one of the most innovative. It had a plot that was both excellent and told in the "you are there" manner that Half-Life was told in. It went well beyond secondary-fire by including weapons that could be calibrated to specific damage, refire and energy cost settings, that's in addition to secondary fires to almost all weapons. This is in the age of Doom 1 ladies and gentlemen. I could go on but let me leave it at this: System Shock did everything Half-Life did and more, and arguably better, in 1994.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 19:38.

yawn
Aug 14, 2003, 19:12
yawn Aug 14, 2003, 19:12
Aug 14, 2003, 19:12

Well, that's Doom3 mp then.

As for the whole "you fucker who you callin a fucker" ordeal, read this:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/idiot_mail.php3

And use those words, they're much more fun to wade through.

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated December 25th

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older