Half-Life 2 Distribution & Mod Plans

Wyatt, an attendee of SIGRAPH 2003, sends word that during the show a version of SoftImage XSI was demonstrated that will be freely distributed after the release of Half-Life 2 to serve as a modification tool for the game. According to Wyatt the program will be fully supported by SoftImage and Valve. Also, Valve's Doug Lombardi sends word of plans for another Steam-powered Half-Life 2 movie release today, as well as word on their plans to expand the service:
Valve, creators of Half-Life and Counter-Strike, has partnered with Nvidia, Game-Storm.net, and a host of leading technology companies to deliver high-resolution trailers of the upcoming PC game Half-Life 2 via Steam, a broadband platform for direct software delivery and content management.

"Bugbait," the latest in a series of Half-Life 2 trailers, will be released today. Additional Half-Life 2 trailers, as well as more digital content from Valve, will be delivered to participants of the Steam beta over the coming weeks. Then, later this year, Half-Life 2 will be sold via Steam as well as in retail outlets the world over.

"The delivery of these trailers is just the beginning of several activities and offerings we will be making via Steam with these partners," said Gabe Newell, Valve's co-founder. "Steam will broaden our relationship with companies such as Nvidia, and allow us to extend new offerings and services to our customers in both the current and future generation of our products."
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: HL2 Steam discount?
Aug 3, 2003, 17:29
hkm
Re: HL2 Steam discount? Aug 3, 2003, 17:29
Aug 3, 2003, 17:29
hkm

I'd imagine that if a publisher undercut the retailer on such a big seller like Half-Life 2, the retailer would be a lot less easy to work with in the future when the publisher comes back with some no-name title

Yeah right. As if the retailer would dare to mess with a major publisher. What happens the next time the publisher releases a bestseller? No, the retailer can't do anything. It just isn't worth it in the short term or long run.

Aug 2, 2003, 23:33
Re: HL2 Steam discount? Aug 2, 2003, 23:33
Aug 2, 2003, 23:33

I HATE STEAM it gives me Errors all the time:O

Re: New pictures!
Aug 1, 2003, 22:26
Re: New pictures! Aug 1, 2003, 22:26
Aug 1, 2003, 22:26

I'm starting to think that even a news item that consists of nothing more than the words "Half-Life 2 is neato!" will still draw at least a dozen replies. It's truly created a mental gaming vortex. Not that this is a bad thing--the industry needs this kind of pull.

Steaming pile of ....
Aug 1, 2003, 21:48
Steaming pile of .... Aug 1, 2003, 21:48
Aug 1, 2003, 21:48

... shite?

I think Steam is a joke. I have a 1.5 mb connection and rarely have any trouble getting full speed from Fileplanet. Yeah, it cost a couple bucks a month but they have exclusive betas that are usually worth the price of the subscription. Not to mention no wait for a high speed download.

With Steam so far I have had two downloads which were extremely slow (like 56k slow) so I just went to another mirror. One download that froze up and required a restart of the download before giving up on the slow connection. And one that actually worked but at half my connection speed.

I would buy HL2 from Steam if (and only if) they get more bandwidth, the entire game is downloaded, and I can then burn it to a CD or DVD... otherwise forget it. Oh, releasing it on Steam a week or two earlier then store shelves may help to sway me also....

I don't believe some of you are so naive as to say, "I don't have any problems with Steam I just click onto the video and it plays". No shit... because you leave it on all the time and they are constantly adding crap to your Steam folder. So enjoy it while you can because soon your Steam folder will be taking up all the free space you have left on your hard drive.

Not to mention the possible spyware and back-doors that are now left open via Steam.

And the program is so crude they don't even list file sizes or show download activity via the Steam auto download. I can't believe they have put years into this crap... at least the time they put into HL2 looks like money in the bank.

Maybe they will throw us for another loop by breaking their silence on Team Fortress 2. Maybe show us some awesome new videos so we won't be left wondering what has happened to the game since the E3 videos from three or four years back.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 21:59.

Re: STILL CONFUSED
Aug 1, 2003, 20:16
Re: STILL CONFUSED Aug 1, 2003, 20:16
Aug 1, 2003, 20:16

The only thing that sucks is I can't load MODs or the Hammer editor for my halflife copy because it doesn't load all the files onto your computer. =(

That's exactly my issue. It is nice to be able to play games offline. Oh, and if Steam ever goes down, even for one day and you can't play a game you payed for cause its not all on your PC... don't bitch. That's exactly what you signed up for.

Oh, and involuntary patching. They control which version of the game you have. If they want you to test something for them, you don't get a vote. You play what they stream. Enjoy!

Edited for format.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 20:18.

Aug 1, 2003, 19:30
Re: STILL CONFUSED Aug 1, 2003, 19:30
Aug 1, 2003, 19:30

I don't know who in the world would complain about steam saying that your going to have to wait in line for three days- this isn't fileplanet. The thing is awesome.

I got all these games for FREE. I don't know why it's free but I don't care at this point- as long as it stays that way!

The only thing that sucks is I can't load MODs or the Hammer editor for my halflife copy because it doesn't load all the files onto your computer. =(

Aug 1, 2003, 19:27
Re: STILL CONFUSED Aug 1, 2003, 19:27
Aug 1, 2003, 19:27

yes they are.. but its a shole back scratching thing..

one of the things they pointed out in the early days of steam is that they hope to have drivers available over it - so you can update drivers as easily as you update games..

you wouldnt belive the amount of people who find updating drivers insanely hard to do.

Aug 1, 2003, 19:19
DDI
Re: STILL CONFUSED Aug 1, 2003, 19:19
Aug 1, 2003, 19:19
DDI

Since when is a boxed manual for a FPS ever worth anything? Or a stupid box to take up space on your shelf. Never had problems with Steam and I'll probably get Half Life2 off of it.

STILL CONFUSED
Aug 1, 2003, 18:41
STILL CONFUSED Aug 1, 2003, 18:41
Aug 1, 2003, 18:41

I guess that I"m still confused... where is Nvidia coming into play with this whole half life 2 thing? Do they mean that Nvidia is providing mirrors for the videos, or what?

Buggy shit!
Aug 1, 2003, 18:00
Buggy shit! Aug 1, 2003, 18:00
Aug 1, 2003, 18:00

The "Bugbait" video is now avaialble via Steam!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

steam works for me
Aug 1, 2003, 17:57
steam works for me Aug 1, 2003, 17:57
Aug 1, 2003, 17:57

I don't leave steam on 24/7. Right now I just load it when I hear a new video is out. And I'm very pleased with the service so far. I've gotten all the movies extremely fast and I've never not been able to log on steam.

I'm still going to buy hl2 at a store though.

Re: No subject
Aug 1, 2003, 17:33
Re: No subject Aug 1, 2003, 17:33
Aug 1, 2003, 17:33

Once again, the movie was on my pc when I clicked on it. No download time. It was already there. Cool.

-Tony!!!;)
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

No subject
Aug 1, 2003, 17:07
No subject Aug 1, 2003, 17:07
Aug 1, 2003, 17:07

i hope theres an option to like rent it for a week or something - i wanna download it from steam to get it early - but i really want a box and manual..

then again - my cd's always break and scratch and the boxes and manuals just take up room (and i dont read the manual). And its so much trouble to put the cd-key in.

yeha im gonna buy through steam. Thanks guys this post really helped me make my mind up.

When HL2 Ships...
Aug 1, 2003, 17:00
When HL2 Ships... Aug 1, 2003, 17:00
Aug 1, 2003, 17:00

...walking to the store to buy my copy is going to be the last exercise I get for a loooong time, so I think I'll take it when I can get it!

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Aug 1, 2003, 16:49
indiv

Re: HL2 Steam discount? Aug 1, 2003, 16:49
Aug 1, 2003, 16:49
 indiv

Distributors really hate being undercut, and have alot of power by refusing to carry stuff, except with a huge game like HL2 where Valve and Vivendi can do whatever they want. Would EB or Best Buy have the balls to decline to carry HL2 because they were been undercut by direct sales?

I've never worked retail, so I don't know the politics of it all, but I'd imagine that if a publisher undercut the retailer on such a big seller like Half-Life 2, the retailer would be a lot less easy to work with in the future when the publisher comes back with some no-name title that they want prime shelf space for.

But price is the only incentive I can think of for downloading instead of buying. I don't mind downloading from Steam and burning the copy to a disc, but if it's the same price, I'd rather have the box with the artwork and manual, if any (don't copy that floppy!).

Maybe they're equalizing the downloaded version and the retail version by making the retail box contain no box art, and inside the box is a burned cd of the game.

Aug 1, 2003, 16:48
Re: HL2 Steam discount? Aug 1, 2003, 16:48
Aug 1, 2003, 16:48

If I have to pay 50 bucks for a game and either:

spend 15 to 20 minutes going to the store, buying it, and coming home to install it

or

pay the same 50 bucks, and spend three days trying to download it with every other schlub on the planet trying to download it at the same time, I can tell you exactly what Steam means to me - zilch.

Plus the fact that it doesn't work.

Re: Just say no ...
Aug 1, 2003, 16:46
nin

Re: Just say no ... Aug 1, 2003, 16:46
Aug 1, 2003, 16:46
 nin

Yeah, those alien worlds sure were a surprise. Like getting poked in the eye with a stick for your birthday present. Surprise!

Ah-hahaha - Exactly! I HATED those...I'm running and I'm gunning, and all of a sudden I'm in some kind of "Duck Dodgers" cartoon world. I was like "WTF is this shit?!"

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

Aug 1, 2003, 16:44
Re: HL2 Steam discount? Aug 1, 2003, 16:44
Aug 1, 2003, 16:44

I have a broadband connection at home, but I am still going to buy the boxed version. Why ? For the secure feeling that if something gets botched on my computer, I have the CD to reinstall - and don't have to worry about calling their support line and give my proof of purchase so that Steam can re-load HL2 on my computer. Dont have to worry about something like that with a CD and CD-key.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

give me the tape version
Aug 1, 2003, 16:43
give me the tape version Aug 1, 2003, 16:43
Aug 1, 2003, 16:43

Ummmmm... dunno bout you guys, but I still prefer owning HARD copies of my games first... instead of making hard copies from a "retail" download.

I doubt Steam sales will significantly impact retail outlets like EB, gamestop, etc.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Aug 1, 2003, 16:37
Re: HL2 Steam discount? Aug 1, 2003, 16:37
Aug 1, 2003, 16:37

Distributors really hate being undercut, and have alot of power by refusing to carry stuff, except with a huge game like HL2 where Valve and Vivendi can do whatever they want. Would EB or Best Buy have the balls to decline to carry HL2 because they were been undercut by direct sales? no way. Anyway, if terhe isn;t substantial price incentive to buy via Steam, why would you do it?

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older